+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 41 of 41

Thread: Question about a "son" (S.I Response would be nice)

  1. #1
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Hey.!

    So, we all want out prospective "sons" to come through our youth ranks, and its widely known that the way to tell if the player is your son or not, is the fact that he will have you as his fave person.

    Well, I've just got a player through my youth team with the same surname as me, but I'm not his fave person.

    So basically, my question to SI, should they answer it is, Doe's your "Son" ALWAYS have you as fave person, or is it possible for him to not have, or do I just have a random with my surname?

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    22nd October 2007
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I think the inbox will tell you if you have a son. Another thing,how common is your last name?If it's common then chances are might not be your son. Another thing. Not all son will love their dad.

    So I guess this helps.

  3. #3
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Firstly, The son doesn't get you a news item for your inbox, he just appears in your youth team. Theres nothing in the game about a son either, but its been known that this is a feature.

    Secondly, my last name is Douglas, not UNcommon, but hardly common, There are currently only 10 players in the game with the same surname as me. (As an example, a common name "smith" - there are 63 matches.)

    Thirdly, thanks - My son will probably rebel.

  4. #4
    Amateur
    Join Date
    22nd October 2007
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Now the 63 smith in your game and a few hundreds smith fmer will find you ;>

  5. #5
    Amateur
    Join Date
    29th October 2007
    Location
    London, England but honourary scouser
    Posts
    109

    Default

    i once had the most random regen called jimmy smith

    which is my name so i was like yeah i got a son with the same name

    but it wasnt my son, bit dissapointing, turned into a leading premiership winger, though so jimmy smith finally became a legend lol

  6. #6
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Originally posted by htygyr:
    i once had the most random regen called jimmy smith

    which is my name so i was like yeah i got a son with the same name

    but it wasnt my son, bit dissapointing, turned into a leading premiership winger, though so jimmy smith finally became a legend lol
    \0/

  7. #7
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th October 2007
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Originally posted by azri1986:
    Now the 63 smith in your game and a few hundreds smith fmer will find you ;>
    I have 157 Smiths on my game

  8. #8
    Reserves
    Join Date
    4th March 2004
    Location
    Granada, Spain @GranadaCdeF_en & @HeathISF Editor: InsideSpanishFootball.com
    Posts
    10,699

    Default

    My surname is uncommon, and I've yet to see a regen sharing the same name.

    Has anyone seen any regens coming through, who could be sons of ageing players though? Think Teddy & Charlie Sherringham.

    I signed them both in a save once. Father and Son strike force.

  9. #9
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    25th January 2005
    Location
    Gundo's FM14 European Adventure Challenge™ (CSE Forum)
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    It does happen look here.

  10. #10
    Third Team
    Join Date
    14th February 2005
    Posts
    6,938

    Default

    I would say that it just a coincidence in this case. As you say your manager surname is common enough.

    I have never yet had a son in the game, but as I use completely unique names it will be obvious.

  11. #11
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th July 2004
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I think its just a co-insidence, many youth players you bring through often have you as their favored person. I'm not sure Id want the feature of my fictional son coming through the ranks either to be honest, Id rather just see a field added to the database that holds information about relatives (brothers, fathers ect) involved in the game. That way if you did want your son in the game you could add him to the database yourself, I have a real son and find it wierd that I would be tracking the career of a fictional son. But thats just me.

    I would find a bit of info detailing fathers, uncles, sons, brothers etc who are also involved in the game though, would be handy for news items and such.

  12. #12
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    4th July 2007
    Location
    The Wirral.
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    I was trying to figure this out a couple of days ago, i kept repeating the "new intake of youth players" day, and after 40 attempts i got no joy.

    That said in FM07 after a 70 year career no "son" turned up so maybe the chances are just very low.

    It would be quite conclusive due to the fact there is noone in the database with my surname, i will be sure to let you know if i have any luck, and more to the point, if he actually likes me.

  13. #13
    Third Team
    Join Date
    14th February 2005
    Posts
    6,938

    Default

    I suppose nationality and where you manage may affect it.

    For instance if you are an English manager, managing an English team you may be slightly more likely to have a son in your youth team than, say, a Brazilian managing in Scotland.

  14. #14
    Amateur
    Join Date
    26th July 2004
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I think the game can produce regens based on your name, the same as any other name in the game, but that doesnt mean they are your son/relative.

    I have a very unusual surname that isnt in the game and in previous versions ive seen it regenerated.

  15. #15
    First Team
    Join Date
    22nd July 2003
    Location
    croydon, uk \'THE master of muppets\' JUST CALL ME POSTAL PROGRAMMER
    Posts
    23,205

    Default

    just prented its your son.

  16. #16
    Reserves
    Join Date
    12th December 2006
    Posts
    11,655

    Default

    I think its a myth.

  17. #17
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Originally posted by sifrow:
    I suppose nationality and where you manage may affect it.

    For instance if you are an English manager, managing an English team you may be slightly more likely to have a son in your youth team than, say, a Brazilian managing in Scotland.
    Are Brazilians not allowed to sh@g in Scotland?

  18. #18
    Amateur
    Join Date
    19th September 2007
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Originally posted by NepentheZ:

    Are Brazilians not allowed to sh@g in Scotland?
    not on my watch.

  19. #19
    Part-timer
    Join Date
    1st December 2005
    Location
    Currently languishing in the lower leagues with Leigh (oooh alliteration)
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Originally posted by Bullion1:

    not on my watch.
    Good policy tbh it would really mess up the clockwork and could bend the hands.

  20. #20
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Originally posted by Pricey85:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bullion1:

    not on my watch.
    Good policy tbh it would really mess up the clockwork and could bend the hands. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Brilliant.

  21. #21
    Part-timer
    Join Date
    1st December 2005
    Location
    Currently languishing in the lower leagues with Leigh (oooh alliteration)
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Originally posted by NepentheZ:


    Brilliant.
    Thank you, i'm here all week.

  22. #22
    Reserves
    Join Date
    21st June 2005
    Location
    At work mostly.
    Posts
    11,163

    Default

    I'm very interested in this as having a son come through my youth team is something I've been wanting to happen since I forst heard about it in FM07.

    But despite playing a shed load of seasons since then I'm yet to have a regen with my surname never mind one come through my youth ranks with my surname and me be their favourite personnel. My surname (Hopper) is not even that rare I don't think, but every time I stick in the search field it comes back with no results, and I'm now in 2024 with Gateshead.

    I'm starting to wonder if the whole son thing is a myth. There was a lot of talk about it in '07 but I haven't heard of it happening to many people in '08/ Perhaps a few people with fairly common surname happened to have a youth player come through the ranks who coincidentally had the same surname as them and also had them as their favoured personnel, like other youth players can.

    I'd like to hear something official on this as if it can happen I think it's an excellent little feature.

  23. #23
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th February 2007
    Location
    You get a $1000 fine for littering here
    Posts
    56

    Default

    do u need to be in a same club for a long time? cos i usually club hop!

  24. #24
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    4th July 2007
    Location
    The Wirral.
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    We have answers! Just had a "son" and due to the fact my surname doesn't exist in the database it's a certainty that he is my "son".

    Anyway, in response to the above questions;

    1/ There's no special message, he just comes through as a new youth product.

    2/ He does not inherit second nationalities.

    3/ He does have me as the top of his favoured personnel.

    4/ It MAY require a manager age above 50, and even then it doesn't happen often - i re-loaded the june 18th/19th over 60 times before one appeared - i was investigating feeder club termination.

    Now i can't say these things ALWAYS happen, it may be that not all sons have you listed in the fav personnel, but all i can go on is what i've seen.

    The kiddo

    Although there are one or two problems;

    1/ i'd never plague a child of mine with the name "robbie".

    2/ he looks like a bit of a ******.

    lol - now to force him into the chelsea first team on his 16th birthday

  25. #25
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    4th July 2007
    Location
    The Wirral.
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Some of the things that get starred out here are just silly....it really wasn't that offensive.

  26. #26
    Amateur
    Join Date
    10th May 2003
    Location
    hell...
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Originally posted by chopper99:
    I'm very interested in this as having a son come through my youth team is something I've been wanting to happen since I forst heard about it in FM07.

    But despite playing a shed load of seasons since then I'm yet to have a regen with my surname never mind one come through my youth ranks with my surname and me be their favourite personnel. My surname (Hopper) is not even that rare I don't think, but every time I stick in the search field it comes back with no results, and I'm now in 2024 with Gateshead.

    I'm starting to wonder if the whole son thing is a myth. There was a lot of talk about it in '07 but I haven't heard of it happening to many people in '08/ Perhaps a few people with fairly common surname happened to have a youth player come through the ranks who coincidentally had the same surname as them and also had them as their favoured personnel, like other youth players can.

    I'd like to hear something official on this as if it can happen I think it's an excellent little feature.
    Yes but apart from Gazza how many players have you seen come from Gateshead?

  27. #27
    Amateur
    Join Date
    25th January 2005
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Originally posted by NepentheZ:
    Firstly, The son doesn't get you a news item for your inbox, he just appears in your youth team. Theres nothing in the game about a son either, but its been known that this is a feature.
    Hhen was this feature introduced? Was this in FM06?

  28. #28
    Third Team
    Join Date
    7th March 2007
    Location
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.
    Posts
    6,600

    Default

    I'd think that if your son made the Under-18s (or Under-20s, whatever) in real life, you wouldn't need your inbox to tell you that. Just a thought...

  29. #29
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Originally posted by Ossei:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:
    Firstly, The son doesn't get you a news item for your inbox, he just appears in your youth team. Theres nothing in the game about a son either, but its been known that this is a feature.
    Hhen was this feature introduced? Was this in FM06? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    FM07 IIRC

  30. #30
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th January 2007
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Ched, where you get that skin??

  31. #31
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    4th July 2007
    Location
    The Wirral.
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Originally posted by Hairul Misay:
    Ched, where you get that skin??
    It's just the standard skin, but with a club badges/icons/kits pack - you should be able to find one easily enough in the graphics forum, not sure but i think it got mine from sortitoutsi.net

  32. #32
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    21st November 2006
    Location
    Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    2,015

    Default

    I've got the son (Mark Owens) of my youth coach (John Owens) in my youth squad.

  33. #33
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:
    I've got the son (Mark Owens) of my youth coach (John Owens) in my youth squad.
    I've actually seen quite a few "sons" from coaches.

  34. #34
    Amateur
    Join Date
    3rd June 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    819

    Default

    i have a thread on this but its more about the quality of the son.

    however, as ched said, i think you have to be over a certain age which does not help for those that start at 30

  35. #35
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd April 2003
    Location
    Liverpool, Merseyside, England
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Do you have to have played for a lot of seasons to see sons?

  36. #36
    First Team
    Join Date
    12th January 2006
    Location
    We Never do anything together anymore.
    Posts
    23,159

    Default

    Originally posted by rooneymagic88:
    Do you have to have played for a lot of seasons to see sons?
    Depends on the starting age of the manager, tbh. And even then, you're not guaranteed to get one.

  37. #37
    Amateur
    Join Date
    2nd April 2003
    Location
    Liverpool, Merseyside, England
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Originally posted by NepentheZ:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rooneymagic88:
    Do you have to have played for a lot of seasons to see sons?
    Depends on the starting age of the manager, tbh. And even then, you're not guaranteed to get one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I presume he is in the youth team of the club you are currently managing?

  38. #38
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    14th September 2005
    Location
    Søborg, Denmark
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    Sometimes I go back and play FM2007. I just loaded an Ascoli game that I haven't played in 9 months or something and I've seen the son of Thomas Doll (appeared in 2011). Doll is manager of Roma now and has been so for 5 years now. His son Stefan Doll is now without a club (he really isn't very good ) but he has Italian 1st nationality. I checked Thomas Doll's history and he played for Frankfurt in 1994 (Stefan YoB), so why is he Italian?

    Another question BTW, can sons of players who have already retired appear in the game?

  39. #39
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    14th September 2005
    Location
    Søborg, Denmark
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    Originally posted by AB-forever:
    Sometimes I go back and play FM2007. I just loaded an Ascoli game that I haven't played in 9 months or something and I've seen the son of Thomas Doll (appeared in 2011). Doll is manager of Roma now and has been so for 5 years now. His son Stefan Doll is now without a club (he really isn't very good ) but he has Italian 1st nationality. I checked Thomas Doll's history and he played for Frankfurt in 1994 (Stefan's Year of Birth), so why is he Italian?

    Another question BTW, can sons of players who have already retired appear in the game?
    Fixed something stupid

  40. #40
    Third Team
    Join Date
    5th November 2007
    Posts
    7,335

    Default

    When you say retired players I assume you mean not in game players, I once saw a Chris Cantona from England. Might not be the King's son though.

  41. #41
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    28th December 2006
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Originally posted by rooneymagic88:
    Do you have to have played for a lot of seasons to see sons?
    Had one in the first season of my online game. Thirty year old manager too fwiw.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts