Striker or CM ?

So, I have this guy, Greg Mathews and he's pretty awesome and has great ratings.

I bought him from liverpool when he was 17 and he developed very well. By age 18 he was already rated 3 stars.

You can see his current report here.

He's natural at two positions, cm and striker. When I bought I intended to use him as cm but I soon realized he was more of a striker. And that's the position he has been playing in. But there's something bothering me... in his personal tab he was described as a wonderkid but it turned 21 so it changed....to...wait for it... enthusiastic midfielder. And yet all my coaches say that he plays best as a striker.

Shouldn't the description match what my coaches say?

Also, last season he scored 28 goals and 20 assists in 50 games.

To me, it looks like he's half striker half cm. lol

He looks more like a striker to me. With an outstanding talent like that you would expect better passing from a MC. Personally I'd play him at AMC, he would probably score 20-30 goals a season there for my current team.

No can do.

But I would never use him that position either because it doesn't fit in my tactics.

No can do.

But I would never use him that position either because it doesn't fit in my tactics.

I'd retrain him, but then I don't use the MC position. I still think you are better off playing him as a striker, unless he just doesn't seem to get the goals, then I'd move him back to the MC position (despite his passing).

I'd retrain him, but then I don't use the MC position. I still think you are better off playing him as a striker, unless he just doesn't seem to get the goals, then I'd move him back to the MC position (despite his passing).

Well, he does score goals but he's not a goal machine by any means, what's cool is that he scores a fair amount of them and then an equal amount of assists which at the end of the day is probably as good as scoring a ton of goals but very few assists.

I just don't get why he's described as enthusiastic midfielder when all my coaches say he plays better as a striker. I know I shouldn't even care about that...

Well, he does score goals but he's not a goal machine by any means, what's cool is that he scores a fair amount of them and then an equal amount of assists which at the end of the day is probably as good as scoring a ton of goals but very few assists.

I just don't get why he's described as enthusiastic midfielder when all my coaches say he plays better as a striker. I know I shouldn't even care about that...

Sounds like an ideal #10, played in the trequartista role. Bit weird about the midfielder description, perhaps that will change as he establishes himself in the striking role as he gets older?

Sounds like an ideal #10, played in the trequartista role. Bit weird about the midfielder description, perhaps that will change as he establishes himself in the striking role as he gets older?

It probably doesn't affect the way he plays but I hope it changes. We'll see.

He's already a legend at the club. :)

Maybe due to his vision and creativity he should be a deep lying striker? I think he could be similar to Pirlo as a deep lying playmaker,- just a shame his actual passing attribute isnt better.

Well, I play him as a poacher and he plays great.

Also, for someone with such a low passing attribute he sure has a ton of assists.

I think the game "starts from the back" with player positions.

Anyway, joyful striker- quick, quite strong, excellent finisher, and one of the best at getting in position for goalscoring chances. His dribbling skills will also come in handy. As an MC, he's slightly let down by his passing (though he has great creativity), and he isn't even worth considering as an all-action midfielder. He's a decent PL player as an MC, and could probably be handy there if you needed someone to fill in, but his talents would be better applied as a striker. I think you wouldn't be far off comparing this guy to someone like Sergio Aguero or even Lionel Messi, they'd just be wasted as a central midfielder.

I think the game "starts from the back" with player positions.

Anyway, joyful striker- quick, quite strong, excellent finisher, and one of the best at getting in position for goalscoring chances. His dribbling skills will also come in handy. As an MC, he's slightly let down by his passing (though he has great creativity), and he isn't even worth considering as an all-action midfielder. He's a decent PL player as an MC, and could probably be handy there if you needed someone to fill in, but his talents would be better applied as a striker. I think you wouldn't be far off comparing this guy to someone like Sergio Aguero or even Lionel Messi, they'd just be wasted as a central midfielder.

The starting from the back thing explains a lot.

I did have aguero on my team many years ago and so far he is my 2nd best goalscorer of all time. Don't know if this kid will live up to that but still, he's great. :p His ratings are crazy.

thanks for your comment.

If you are decideing between MC and ST then passing of 13 is a pretty good decider, especially since he has everything to make a great striker.

I'm not really trying to decide, I've been playing him as a striker for 3 seasons now, I just wanted to hear people's opinion. :) specially because of the description thing.

When a player is seemingly as good as this then you have to make some sort assessment based on his "weaker" stats. 13 isnt bad at all especially considering how amazing his other stats are, but I personally always look for at least 15 for passing for a top level central midfielder.

His attributes point more towards a striker, hes a good player to have, he can play many roles.

I would play him where hes strongest, seemingly a striker, and then if your short of players in midfield roles push him back and give your sub striker some starts, this guy will supply them constantly.

Andy

Looks very similar to my player

He isn't a regular for my team yet but with the impending sale of Dzeko in the summer, will find more playing time. As you can see, I play him more of a striker but Argentina plays him more of a midfielder. He's versatile, more than good in more than one position and increases my options.

I'll play yours where he's more needed. He's a rare breed where he will be world-class either position you play him.

He isn't a regular for my team yet but with the impending sale of Dzeko in the summer, will find more playing time. As you can see, I play him more of a striker but Argentina plays him more of a midfielder. He's versatile, more than good in more than one position and increases my options.

I'll play yours where he's more needed. He's a rare breed where he will be world-class either position you play him.

very decisive difference in speed here though. If he is a striker, then more a towering one.

He is not that fast but he isn't let down in his other crucial attributes. His versatility doesn't hurt too - he can be a Veron, Riquelme or Palermo with ease.

He's just breaking thru for the 1st team even if he is a regular starter for Argentina. Next season will probably define his career.

Pretty amazing player you got there. On a side note, I don't think I ever saw that hairstyle.

I always have to have at least one of these guys on my roster. He'd start as a deep-lying attacking ST, and when I had the lead and needed to go defensive and we switch from 4-3-3 to 4-1-3-2, he comes in to an attacking CM.

This guy would slot right nicely into my starting XI.

lol I was joking, it really is good I agree. Id expect as much though as he is quality. Bargain at the price you got him for.....and they say England dont breed talented footballers.

You know what? they didn't. Until I patched my game..

Archived