FM 2008 Computer Benchmark

Hi, Reading this post: http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/4162001253

I came up with a idea, it´s simple:

-Start a new game

-Choose England All divisions

-Medium database

-Untick the box "Allow transfer budget..."

When the new game is loaded:

-In options/detail level Set the club competitions and International competions to Maximum and confirm.

-Start unemployed

-Now go on holiday until 31 august, without interfering.

-Start the stopwatch

-Post your results and computer specs here:

Mine:

AMD X2 6000

2 GB DDR2 667

HD SAMSUNG SATA2 7200RPM

WINDOWS XP SP2

My time:

35 min. 28 sec.

I have noticed that this years version use much less RAM than previous years (Kudos to SI, cause all other games just **** with our pockets asking for more & more ram, cpu,...).

And like SI said before, the save & load times are much better !!!

Sorry for my bad english, it´s not my native language...

Hi, Reading this post: http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/4162001253

I came up with a idea, it´s simple:

-Start a new game

-Choose England All divisions

-Medium database

-Untick the box "Allow transfer budget..."

When the new game is loaded:

-In options/detail level Set the club competitions and International competions to Maximum and confirm.

-Start unemployed

-Now go on holiday until 31 august, without interfering.

-Start the stopwatch

-Post your results and computer specs here:

Mine:

AMD X2 6000

2 GB DDR2 667

HD SAMSUNG SATA2 7200RPM

WINDOWS XP SP2

My time:

35 min. 28 sec.

I have noticed that this years version use much less RAM than previous years (Kudos to SI, cause all other games just **** with our pockets asking for more & more ram, cpu,...).

And like SI said before, the save & load times are much better !!!

Sorry for my bad english, it´s not my native language...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DietSpam:

Aye, i've noticed this version of FM doesn't use as much memory as FM 07. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is a great idea

An even better idea is to do the same with FM2007 for an even better comparison

Dart - Yep your written english is fine and I agree with Sciag, well done!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juhuli:

Core 2 Q6600 @3.0 GHZ

2 gb DDR2 800

WD 74Gb Raptor

Windows Vista 32

16m 29s </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for running the test. It helps my decision when picking a new CPU.

It shows that Quad Core is the way to go.

Core 2 Duo E6850

4GB Corsair XMS2 Pro DHT Quad

RAID0 Striped WD2500Y 250GB x 2

Vista 64 Ultimate

You must be doing something wrong, either that or have very poorly configured PC's.

All English Divisions

Medium Database

No Transfer Budgets

All comps to Maximum

Unemployed

On Holiday until August 31st....

3mins 34 seconds...

Proper setup and config the way to go it would seem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juhuli:

Core 2 Q6600 @3.0 GHZ

2 gb DDR2 800

WD 74Gb Raptor

Windows Vista 32

16m 29s </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something seriously slow going on there. What timings are your RAM running at?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDoul:

Core 2 Duo E6850

Vista 64 Ultimate

You must be doing something wrong, either that or have very poorly configured PC's.

All English Divisions

Medium Database

No Transfer Budgets

All comps to Maximum

Unemployed

3mins 34 seconds...

Proper setup and config the way to go it would seem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really doubt that result. Just tested again this time using minimum detail on everything, and the result was 2m 38s.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDoul:

Core 2 Duo E6850

Vista 64 Ultimate

All English Divisions

Medium Database

No Transfer Budgets

All comps to Maximum

Unemployed

3mins 34 seconds...

Proper setup and config the way to go it would seem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really doubt that result. Just tested again this time using minimum detail on everything, and the result was 2m 38s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why doubt it? icon_confused.gif

You set the guidelines?

You've only got 2GB of 667, I'm running 4GB of matched Quad 800 @ 834.

Incidentally, that was with DDT's for about 12000 extra players.

Why doubt it? icon_confused.gif

You set the guidelines?

You've only got 2GB of 667, I'm running 4GB of matched Quad 800 @ 834.

Incidentally, that was with DDT's for about 12000 extra players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because there's no way you are running this test in 3 mins. if you have all details set to maximum. No way.

And besides you have dual-core which roughly takes twice the time to calculate a match in full-detail, if I have understand the threading used in FM correctly.

Actually this is an inaccurate benchmark. What you really should test is the time between setting the game up and being able to add a manager.

If you test the time between starting unemployed and six weeks later, you're introducing a ton of variables with players moving to teams and other stuff. Whereas a pure db load and setup (about 3 countries) has the same overheads on everyones version.

VB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

Actually this is an inaccurate benchmark. What you really should test is the time between setting the game up and being able to add a manager.

If you test the time between starting unemployed and six weeks later, you're introducing a ton of variables with players moving to teams and other stuff. Whereas a pure db load and setup (about 3 countries) has the same overheads on everyones version.

VB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With the allow transfer budget unticked that shouldn't be the case though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

VB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

I've tested this 8 times now and had everything from 3.34 up to 21.47, on full detail.

Minimum detail also saw times from 2.58 through 12.14.

There's all kindsa stuff gong on, with number of friendlies having a clear effect.

All kind of irrelevant really, particularly since my setup seems persistently more stable and responsive than many prebuilt Quad Cores.

Koinda depends on what I'm doing at the time, but that said, the laughable declarations of discontent simply smack of Quad Core owners being disgruntled at a Dual Core outperforming them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Legends Wear 7:

00:11:30.841

Q6600 Quad @2.4ghz

4gb PC-6400 RAM 4-4-4-12

500gb SATAII 7200RPM

Vista Ultimate 64bit

No-way can i believe 3mins on McDoul's setup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Up to you mate, not for you to believe is it?

It's there as a statement of fact, I've no need of lying, and with so many variables in hand it's impossible to see why your's seems so slow.

I should mention I've got WMP11, Outlook, Sidebar, Last.fm, and 7 or 8 IE Tabs on the go for some of the slower times.

Q6600 runs much hotter than E6850 and is only 2.4GHz per core with FM not exactly threading well on multicore CPU's.

CAS 3 RAM as well? Interleaved? Manual settings or auto? Memory remap enabled for 64bit? 4x1 or 2x2 sticks? Motherboard? Bus Bandwidth? What are your Northbridge BIOS settings?

Yeah, not the cut and dried case some of you think it is.

Also what stepping are all your Q6600's? Are they thermal efficient models?

List goes on tbf.

Okey, I just ran this test again and to everyones suprise the result was: 16m 32s. This was with a new game, so it really dosen't make a big difference running the same test twice.

So have everyone who has run this test, have the preset configurations for club competitions and international competitions set for maximum? Because only by doing this the results can be compared.

Setting the presets to maximum every single match, including friendlies, reserves and U18 matches are being played full-detail, so its just simply not possible to run this test in 3min.

Clearly tho it is.

I'll put it down to FM havng a moment, but it's still done better that 16 mins on 4 occasions in full detail.

Love the way your choosing to forget that you have half the RAM I have have avoided answering any of the questions above.

On some of these faster ones I've barely seen any friendlies processed, luck of the draw tbh, not remotely scientific or even reliable.

Hi everybody, thanks for all the tests, but ITS A MUST set:

Like i said in the first post, so we can compare results !!!

I should mention I've got WMP11, Outlook, Sidebar, Last.fm, and 7 or 8 IE Tabs on the go for some of the slower times.

Q6600 runs much hotter than E6850 and is only 2.4GHz per core with FM not exactly threading well on multicore CPU's.

CAS 3 RAM as well? Interleaved? Manual settings or auto? Memory remap enabled for 64bit? 4x1 or 2x2 sticks? Motherboard? Bus Bandwidth? What are your Northbridge BIOS settings?

List goes on tbf. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, sad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dart:

DeathReborn: WOW That´s fast !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's slightly faster when I use 15K RPM SCSI Hard Drives instead of Western Digital Raptors.

Barcelona is just slightly slower than the Core 2 Quad (both at 2GHz) but Phenom might improve that with HT3.

I just made the same test using the original setup, but now using the 8.0.1 beta patch and the result is:

51 min 47 sec.

Almost 50% slower than with the original version( 35 min. 28 sec.).

So, it´s a fact, the beta patch slowed the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Recury:

lol, sad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i lol'd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by foonr:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Recury:

lol, sad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i lol'd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHS.

• 1 month later...

erm where is this option to set it to "maximum detail" ?

I ran it on my old A64 which is overclocked to 2.2hghz (can't remember what the default speed is) 2 gig of ram and it took:

8 minutes.

I presume i've done something wrong looking at the other times but I can't find this option for maximum detail.

Well I thought McDoul was full of it too until I tried it on mine, though now I'm convinced I missed something...

Intel Core2Duo, 2.4ghz

4gb RAM, I think 667 (note 32 bit vista limits to 3200mb ram)

Vista 32

400gb western digital hdd

3mins, 37secs

I also noted that cpu1 stayed around 60% and occasionally spiked to 75% and cpu2 stayed around 45%. RAM usage was about 40% if it means anything to ppl

I'm no computer wizard - but don't background tasks and things running in the background such as an Anti-Virus Program or MSN slow the process down?

To speed my game up I cancel all these processes on the Task Manager... Does it really make a difference - or is it my imagination!

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridport_james:

I'm no computer wizard - but don't background tasks and things running in the background such as an Anti-Virus Program or MSN slow the process down?

To speed my game up I cancel all these processes on the Task Manager... Does it really make a difference - or is it my imagination!

icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you are right. Testing this is a good idea, but it needs a little more work to come up with a definitive benchmark one for everyone (if that is even possible).

Archived