To sell, or not to sell?

(Relates to FM 09)

Real Madrid have come in with a £39.5 million bid for Rio Ferdinand. £7.25 million upfront and £32 million over the next 2 years.

Normally I would of rejected out of hand, but even this amount surprised me.

He's just had a very good first season with me, a far better season than the under performing Vidic (about to enter pre-season of 2nd season) but he is 30 years old. I was already looking at the likes of Marcano, Leo and Fazio before they came in with the bid. Having the money in instalments isn't a problem because I have the money to sign a replacement anyway.

Should I accept, hold out for more or tell them to get stuffed?

Dont sell. At 30, Ferdinand is hitting his peak. Also he will be a good tutor. Id use the money you already have to bring in a good young defender aound 18 with a lot of potential. Use Ferdinand to train him. In 2 or 3 seasons your guy will be ready to take over from Ferdninand.

If they offered £40m cash I would take it but anything with a paltry amount upfront then the rest over 2 years isnt worth it IMO.

Dont sell. At 30, Ferdinand is hitting his peak. Also he will be a good tutor. Id use the money you already have to bring in a good young defender aound 18 with a lot of potential. Use Ferdinand to train him. In 2 or 3 seasons your guy will be ready to take over from Ferdninand.

If they offered £40m cash I would take it but anything with a paltry amount upfront then the rest over 2 years isnt worth it IMO.

I would take it at that money, plenty of younger replacements available. Even if you spend 30m that still leaves you with 9.5m profit and a younger player.

As for installments there is no real difference in having the money immediately or over two seasons if you have spare funds now.

Sell him £40m, is an immense amount for Rio and you'll have his wages off the books.

Jonny Evans can step up, and if not there's a lot of of talent out there for a lot less than £40,000,000 and the huge wages Ferdinand commands.

Archived