Fixture Congestion

How do you deal with fixture congestion?

For three weeks in a row Ive had 3 games a week in CCL1 a couple games included cups and my players, even though I rotate frequently, are at 90% at the start of almost every game.

I usually play in smaller leagues and build up strong teams so this congestion is killing me.

You'll need to prioritise.

Maybe the Johnstones Paint Trophy is not worth dealing with?

Maybe you'd like the money from an FA Cup run?

Maybe you need to save your first-team players for just aiming for promotion in the league?

It's the unavoidable side effect of being successful, epsecially is you have replays to deal with.

If you only have a small squad you might want to consider resting them from training for a week or so. Maybe prioritise the comps and rotate some youth players into the first team.

I usually give the players a break from training as well after a difficult match. It seems to help them recover a little before the next match.

Twice I gave 2 days rest and it didn't provide any noticeable gain in health. Luckily my squad is riding the wave pretty well.

You'll need to prioritise.

Maybe the Johnstones Paint Trophy is not worth dealing with?

Maybe you'd like the money from an FA Cup run?

Maybe you need to save your first-team players for just aiming for promotion in the league?

Good advice Ill have to do that if I stay here for the next year.

My second season was a disaster because of playing in 4 competitions with Man City. I even had to play 2 games in 2 days on at least one occasion. Very frustrating. MY players couldn't handle it and we lost most of our final few games

My second season was a disaster because of playing in 4 competitions with Man City. I even had to play 2 games in 2 days on at least one occasion. Very frustrating. MY players couldn't handle it and we lost most of our final few games

Ive been in 1-3 place since the start of the season. Im now in mid february and the congestion has my team getting injuries both green and red game after game now and 2 jaded players. Ive lost 3 in a row and looks like going to drop down to 4tth or lower with no end in sight.

What I'd do is never string a full 2nd string side, always maintain a few players from the first team, but alter who they may be. eg. You're facing a worse side in the league but want to rest a few players for an away cup tie coming up. You know however, they're most likely to focus on defending to try snatch a point. What I would do is keep the star attacking midfielder and striker (atleast, depending on how many players need a rest) so that you're able to break down the defense. Also use your best youth players, they will provide energy and it will also aid their development. Have a mixed bench, so you can either throw on the young lads at half time if you're winning to try and tire the opposition and rest your stars or get more experienced players onto the pitch if you're losing/drawing.

What I'd do is never string a full 2nd string side, always maintain a few players from the first team, but alter who they may be. eg. You're facing a worse side in the league but want to rest a few players for an away cup tie coming up. You know however, they're most likely to focus on defending to try snatch a point. What I would do is keep the star attacking midfielder and striker (atleast, depending on how many players need a rest) so that you're able to break down the defense. Also use your best youth players, they will provide energy and it will also aid their development. Have a mixed bench, so you can either throw on the young lads at half time if you're winning to try and tire the opposition and rest your stars or get more experienced players onto the pitch if you're losing/drawing.

In real English football do they have this fixture congestion? I know they don't have this in Japan and I never have seen this problem in the states, so was just wondering if it really does happen.

Fairly common yeah.

Fulham played 63 games last year.

A massive amount considering only 38 of those were in the Premier League.

They played a ridiculous 19 games in Europe. Which is basically an extra half a season.

Then there was the FA Cup (five games)

And the Carling Cup (luckily they only played one game here)

You've got it easy, sunshine ;)

I feel your pain, Third season on my current game i was Darlington in the BSP we had

46 League Games

7 FA Cup games (replays in 4th qual, 2nd and 3rd)

10 FA trophy games (Replays in all rounds and two leg semi)

3 Play off Games

Combine this with the fact that financial instability meant i had disbanded the under 18's and reserves. We had 20 players.

With 5 games to go we were first, lost to Oxford and failed to win at Bromley and Hereford. Cambridge over took us and the rest is history.

Unsuprisingly we got hammered by oxford in the play off final and Rushden in the FA Trophy semi.

Archived