All English Squad

I recently attemted a challenge with Liverpool to assemble an all English XI over succesive seasons while bringing through players from the Anfield Bootroom. My challenge received overall success, much through luck than judgement but I found I lacked the financial power the impose myself in the transfer market aquiring English talent. I am pondering the idea of taking charge at Eastlands and attempting to transform them into an all English squad not XI due to their financial situation this could be more achievable. I am interested to here peoples throughts on this, is this too easy with the financial backing or will it be a challenge in itself to sell all current assests, buy English while keeping the board and fans happy. Please let me here your thoughts.

I would personally think it's the easiest club to achieve this goal with, not that it would be easy to create an all english squad which would be competative, However i do know that in my game the majority of the English talent that is about {newgens} appear in the man city ranks, i am presuming that they have the best youth academy around, also when i was recently offered the City job they were offering a transfer budget of £99M, Which is handy i suppose!

I see your point exactly. When with Liverpool I sold most my assets and often had £100m in the bank, but I had to depend on European talents to be the spine of my team with the English players acting as the fringe members of the squad. I really like the idea of using domestic players respective of which league I'm managing, maybe a foreign league could be the answer. In your opinion would you say England is the only league where domestic players are overpriced ? I understand World Class players are expensive regardless of origin but decent players for their domestic league, is England the worst for over pricing ?

I certainly feel english players are overpriced, even the distinctly average english players, but i do like the idea of trying to create an all english squad, which is why i buy up all the most talented english regens i can find, Especially from the U19's so in another 5/6 years hopefully my talented youngsters will have broken through into my 1st team and replaced my current crop of stars

I am in 2015 with Liverpool and as soon as i started in 2010 I upgraded my training and youth facilities to the best they could be. I am now having two to three top players coming through every year into my youth team. It took a couple of years but it is paying off now. I have also found two amazing English regens which I did pay mega bucks for but they are coming good now. In the first year I bought an English player called Ho Chi Man (yes this is his name) from Spurs for £15m and he was 17. He was a winger and most of his stats that I thought was needed for a winger were 15 or above. A striker from Wolves a few years later i paid £15m for as a 17 year old and he is now my first choice and knocking the goals in for England.

Combined with the players coming through my youth team - i very rarely have to spend too much on players now.

My tip to anyone is upgrade facilities and be patient - good players will start coming through.

I did a 11 season challenge with Newcastle a while back. In about season 3 I got made into the England U21 manager, this started me looking more and more at the emerging English talent. I took advantage of it and signed a lot of this young talent to my squad.

Eventually I had only 2 none English players and the England team regularly started with 9 of my players on the pitch.

A few seasons later I became an all English team, most of them were regens, I also became the England manager and was heavily criticized for playing too many of my players.

I think in the long term I hurt the longevity of my game, as I had the status and financial clout to steal all the best youth prospects from teams and so denied them the chance to get a free home grown world class player.

i try and keep it as close as possible to an all english squad, last game long game i had 23 out of 25 english players, it would of been 24 but one of them decided he wasnt good enough to play for england and found an irish grandparent instead

the only annoying thing is, is that if you're england manager aswell you get accused of being biased if you pick loads of your club players, even though they are the best available and you know they work well with your tactic

If you don't want their expectations try Aston Villa, Young, Agbonlahor, Milner, Delph, Delfouneso etc. are a strong core, and I got my funds increased approaching January 1st season.

Archived