5 reasons why the 8.0.2 update should be out now.

1. all the transfers are in for janruary (its 7th of feb) plus theres the internet to clarify them.

2. S.I. have a big, dedicated team of researchers & testers paid to find faults & do updates.

3. they have numerous websites with thousands of threads containing thoughts, suggestions & improvements.

4. S.I. have had nearly 3 months to improve FM2008, which lets face it, isnt too disimilar to the last 3 years versions apart from a few more media comments.

5. because its never right is it? since when did starting a new season in the traditional july take into account players bought in august & janruary? xmas 2008 for the new FM2009 anyone?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. all the transfers are in for janruary (its 7th of feb) plus theres the internet to clarify them.

2. S.I. have a big, dedicated team of researchers & testers paid to find faults & do updates.

3. they have numerous websites with thousands of threads containing thoughts, suggestions & improvements.

4. S.I. have had nearly 3 months to improve FM2008, which lets face it, isnt too disimilar to the last 3 years versions apart from a few more media comments.

5. because its never right is it? since when did starting a new season in the traditional july take into account players bought in august & janruary? xmas 2008 for the new FM2009 anyone?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brandon:

5. because its never right is it? since when did starting a new season in the traditional july take into account players bought in august & janruary? xmas 2008 for the new FM2009 anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would rather wait another month and it be right than get it now and be disapointed.

Patience Grasshopper!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brandon:

5. because its never right is it? since when did starting a new season in the traditional july take into account players bought in august & janruary? xmas 2008 for the new FM2009 anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regarding:

1. It takes time. Think of trying to set up dominoes drunk, it's a lot like that. One piece of code can blow the whole thing, and after what's happened since the release, betas and first full patch, they're being extra careful.

3. As far as I know, they only read this website for direct feedback.

5. You'll have the option to choose which database you want to use. Some people like having the latest data, and considering you could have the January transfers and start in Brazil in 2008, not 2007, it all helps to add realism. It's all down to choice, really.

Even if the game-side of the patch was ready, the data won't be.

You make think it's an easy job to do a full research exercise across several continents incorporating dozens of countries, thousands of players, error-check that, collate it, test it, make sure it's balanced etc. All with a predominantly volunteer team that have their own jobs and lives.

It's not.

So that's why your reasons 1 and 2 are nonsense.

Reason 3 is nonsense as it's irrelevant how many people say something, it will still take as long as necessary to fix. And the patch is about improving, not adding.

Actually, that pretty much does for reason 4 as well.

So we've now established 4 of your 5 reasons are utter nonsense.

5 is a long-standing debate on which SI made their minds up long ago. So that's that done too.

Wow. You must feel pretty silly right now?

I think people are too quick to criticize. To get this game even half as realistic as it is would be some undertaking. Updating data is like pointing the great wall of China. I imagine if they missed Dickov's loan deal to Blackpool or something, someone would get arsey on here.

People forget that if they play this for a year they have paid on average about 50p a week for the game. I would imagine that plenty of moaners download the thing from a torrent site as well. I think the guys who are involved in producing this game should have our patience and support. For me, with what they have delivered over the years they are well in credit so if they have to correct some mistakes, so be it.

Anyone know of a good cheap left back by the way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1. all the transfers are in for janruary (its 7th of feb) plus theres the internet to clarify them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know there are leagues outside England, right?

There are several leagues awaiting season starts, kit releases, window closes and such in Feb.

Personally, I don't care how long it takes. I'm loving the game just as it is and would be oblivious to 99% of the bugs if it wasn't for having to wade through hundreds of whinging threads on here every day.

Sure, it could use a bit of work and there are things that I'd be happy to see improved, but they won't stop me playing the game.

SI. Take whatever time you need to get the most benefit from the patch possible. Don't care about mid season transfers much, since after 1 season, no club I manage ever looks the same anyway and thanks for your hard work. Some of us still appreciate what you do and understand that it doesn't make things easier when everyone's on your case.

All these threads about "when is the patch coming out?" are getting really tiresome. And the worst part is that if SI were to rush the patch out with a major flaw, everyone would go ballistic and scream, "How can SI put out a patch they KNOW is incomplete/inferior/defective (Take your pick)? This is a disaster for the whole world!! I'm never buying another SI product as long as I live!" (until FM09 comes out, that is)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

All these threads about "when is the patch coming out?" are getting really tiresome. And the worst part is that if SI were to rush the patch out with a major flaw, everyone would go ballistic and scream, "How can SI put out a patch they KNOW is incomplete/inferior/defective (Take your pick)? This is a disaster for the whole world!! I'm never buying another SI product as long as I live!" (until FM09 comes out, that is) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The counter-example is of course the first 8.0.1 Beta which was far more playable than the final 8.0.1 patch. The time taken to develop the patch does not necessarily correlate with its final quality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djht:

The counter-example is of course the first 8.0.1 Beta which was far more playable than the final 8.0.1 patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in your opinion icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djht:

The counter-example is of course the first 8.0.1 Beta which was far more playable than the final 8.0.1 patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in your opinion icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who else's opinion can one give?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skintsaint:

in your opinion icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who else's opinion can one give? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it looked like a statement but if not i apologise icon_wink.gif

It's disgusting really, they are treating their loyal customers with contempt. They said the other things(FM live and console crap) weren't going to hamper the PC version because they are separate teams. Mark Vaughn apparently hasn't touched the PC version and is doing FM live, so they have either left a big hole in the PC development or have tried to replace him with inexperienced newbs. Either way FM live has had an impact on the PC version. Did anyone else move over to the separate team? or are we supposed to believe he was the only one?

We have have whinged and complained for months about several issues in the game and there is no denying they are there because "the bug has been logged and it's a high priority" icon_rolleyes.gif ......I'd hate to see what they do with low priority. In the meantime we see announcements about FM live and xbox and how great they are, surely they can't have made an xbox version without the bugs of the PC or are the xbox crew that much superior to the PC crew?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You make think it's an easy job to do a full research exercise across several continents incorporating dozens of countries, thousands of players, error-check that, collate it, test it, make sure it's balanced etc. All with a predominantly volunteer team that have their own jobs and lives.

It's not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talk about nonsense

What the hell has all of that got to do with transfer updates? With a transfer update they don't need to do a 'full research exercise across several continents', all they have to do is move the transfered players to the appropriate clubs, they don't need to 'error-check that, collate it, test it, make sure it's balanced etc', they can re-research in the off season if they need to. They may do all of that for the bugs but not transfers. If they do it for transfers it would be scary, because that would mean 1 simple transfer could have a dramatic 'buggy' impact on the game. Players moving to different clubs shouldn't trigger any bugs that weren't already there.

I don't care about transfer updates anyway, I just want a patch. I didn't buy the game to be a tester, I bought it to be a player....well manager. I'd like to get a few IRL months worth of my FM08 career game before the next version is released and I can't have a career game without Spain. icon_frown.gif

Well it looked like a statement but if not i apologise icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you could have just said "I disagree" instead of "in your opinion icon_wink.gif" with the typical patronising fanboy undertone.

I think you could have just said "I disagree" instead of "in your opinion icon_wink.gif" with the typical patronising fanboy undertone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

If you think im a fanboy then your mistaken. icon13.gif

As I said before i apologise if my comments were patronising as they were not intended to be. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HonkyDick:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You make think it's an easy job to do a full research exercise across several continents incorporating dozens of countries, thousands of players, error-check that, collate it, test it, make sure it's balanced etc. All with a predominantly volunteer team that have their own jobs and lives.

It's not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talk about nonsense

What the hell has all of that got to do with transfer updates? With a transfer update they don't need to do a 'full research exercise across several continents', all they have to do is move the transfered players to the appropriate clubs, they don't need to 'error-check that, collate it, test it, make sure it's balanced etc', they can re-research in the off season if they need to. They may do all of that for the bugs but not transfers. If they do it for transfers it would be scary, because that would mean 1 simple transfer could have a dramatic 'buggy' impact on the game. Players moving to different clubs shouldn't trigger any bugs that weren't already there.

I don't care about transfer updates anyway, I just want a patch. I didn't buy the game to be a tester, I bought it to be a player....well manager. I'd like to get a few IRL months worth of my FM08 career game before the next version is released and I can't have a career game without Spain. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just a transfer update. It's always been used as an opportunity to allow researchers to evaluate players that were new to them in the summer, to look at youngsters that have come through etc.

You may not care about the update, but a lot do and they expect it to be done. So tough.

You may think what I said was nonsense, but given I'm part of that research team I can assure you it's not. A transfer can't create a bug, but aspects of the process could unbalance the database, and it's that they have to test.

I'll give you one good reason:

The boxed version was released almost 4 months ago. It doesn't really matter what the problems or technicalities are of the "patching process." Whether 8.0.2 or FM09 is going to be a programming marvel or not as a result of all this waiting does not really concern me in the slightest. Everything other than the fact that the patch HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED yet is completely impertinent.

Dave C: Your ostentatious counter to the original post, as true as it may be, is completely extraneous. I don't care if Jonathan James is the only computer genius capable of cracking the code, and SI are yet to track him down. How is any of this the consumer's problem? The clients I deal with on a daily basis at work could give a flying monkey how I end up with the final results I give them. They're not interested in the long and thought out design process(es) I have to painstakingly trawl through to arrive at the final product; in the same vein, I don't care what SI have to go through to 'get it done.' In my opinion they have already failed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

You may not care about the update, but a lot do and they expect it to be done. So tough.

You may think what I said was nonsense, but given I'm part of that research team I can assure you it's not. A transfer can't create a bug, but aspects of the process could unbalance the database, and it's that they have to test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only said nonsense because you used it a few times in your post. icon_razz.gif

I recommend in future that they concentrate on bug fixes and release a patch first, after that they can do however many data or transfer updates as they want. So then the people that want an update so much can either put up with said 'unbalanced database' or wait for the balanced update. The rest of us just want to play and don't need Johnny Smith to be at his new club 6 months before he actually got there. I start at the English start date and don't want to start at any other time just to accommodate the transfers, so they are a bit out of whack anyway. The players new club could sell them before they have even played for the team as well.

I think you could have just said "I disagree" instead of "in your opinion icon_wink.gif" with the typical patronising fanboy undertone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

If you think im a fanboy then your mistaken. icon13.gif

As I said before i apologise if my comments were patronising as they were not intended to be. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No probs.

Anyways I think they should release alternative beta versions with their own match engine tweaks and release a final patch based on the feedback. Honestly if they placed 8.0.1 alongside 8.0.0, 8.0.1 Beta A and 8.0.1 Beta B, I think a lot of customers would have preferred 8.0.1 Beta A.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

1 reason why it shouldn't be.

1. It's not ready. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was going to write exactly same post when I saw the thread title icon_smile.gif

No probs.

Anyways I think they should release alternative beta versions with their own match engine tweaks and release a final patch based on the feedback. Honestly if they placed 8.0.1 alongside 8.0.0, 8.0.1 Beta A and 8.0.1 Beta B, I think a lot of customers would have preferred 8.0.1 Beta A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No-one who playes with a team in the lower leagues would have preferred 8.0.1 Beta A or B because of the confidence issues that caused you to get sacked for over-achieving, effectively ending your game.

This was much more serious and regular for most than any of the bugs in the full 8.0.1 patch.

The only genuine 'bug' I know of is the Spanish registration issue, which from what I'm aware is relatively rare and avoidable (I may be wrong here). All the other issues such as the one-on-one etc are not technically bugs, they are gameplay issue. If you bought the latest Pro Evo and didn't like the fact that the keeper seemed to save too many of your shots, or the fact that you created too many chances in general you wouldn't straight away cry out 'BUG!!' and start banging onto Konami demanding they release a patch to improve the game. You'd either work round it or simply play something else and possibly try the next edition of Pro Evo before you spent money on it.

SI, by having such good customer service and by wanting the game to be as good as it can, has created a rod for it's own back. Because they've always tried to constantly improve the actual game with free patches many people seem to now expect this as the norm. It's not, most companies would perhaps just fix actual bugs with patches and concentrate on trying to improve actual gameplay issues in the next release.

So IMO SI are obliged to fix the Spanish registration bug only, anything else you get is extra and should be gratefully accepted.

Unless you're suffering from a genuine, game stopping bug, I don't want to hear this crap about 'but I can't play the game in it's current state'. I didn't like the latest Pro Evo for many reasons, none of which could be described as 'bugs'. So what did I do? Well I certainly didn't demand my money back and start crying on that the game wasn't as good as Pro Evo 4. If that happened for every game that people didn't enjoy as much as they thought they would then where would we be? At least SI is trying to do something about it, you don't get many games where you can buy it, be a bit disappointed with it but know that in a couple of months it'll probably be improved for free.

it all depends why you are waiting for the new patch. if for transfers then you can already find patch on the net with all the transfers done but if its for fix of the bugs i'm willing to wait as long as si gets it right. it will be worth the wait in the longrun

Surely you're contradicting yourself?

You want them to update all the transfers but then your complaining that you'll be playing half a season with players which shouldn't have signed for another 6 months!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

No probs.

Anyways I think they should release alternative beta versions with their own match engine tweaks and release a final patch based on the feedback. Honestly if they placed 8.0.1 alongside 8.0.0, 8.0.1 Beta A and 8.0.1 Beta B, I think a lot of customers would have preferred 8.0.1 Beta A. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No-one who playes with a team in the lower leagues would have preferred 8.0.1 Beta A or B because of the confidence issues that caused you to get sacked for over-achieving, effectively ending your game.

This was much more serious and regular for most than any of the bugs in the full 8.0.1 patch.

The only genuine 'bug' I know of is the Spanish registration issue, which from what I'm aware is relatively rare and avoidable (I may be wrong here). All the other issues such as the one-on-one etc are not technically bugs, they are gameplay issue. If you bought the latest Pro Evo and didn't like the fact that the keeper seemed to save too many of your shots, or the fact that you created too many chances in general you wouldn't straight away cry out 'BUG!!' and start banging onto Konami demanding they release a patch to improve the game. You'd either work round it or simply play something else and possibly try the next edition of Pro Evo before you spent money on it.

SI, by having such good customer service and by wanting the game to be as good as it can, has created a rod for it's own back. Because they've always tried to constantly improve the actual game with free patches many people seem to now expect this as the norm. It's not, most companies would perhaps just fix actual bugs with patches and concentrate on trying to improve actual gameplay issues in the next release.

So IMO SI are obliged to fix the Spanish registration bug only, anything else you get is extra and should be gratefully accepted.

Unless you're suffering from a genuine, game stopping bug, I don't want to hear this crap about 'but I can't play the game in it's current state'. I didn't like the latest Pro Evo for many reasons, none of which could be described as 'bugs'. So what did I do? Well I certainly didn't demand my money back and start crying on that the game wasn't as good as Pro Evo 4. If that happened for every game that people didn't enjoy as much as they thought they would then where would we be? At least SI is trying to do something about it, you don't get many games where you can buy it, be a bit disappointed with it but know that in a couple of months it'll probably be improved for free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly I don't see the point of posting "take it or leave it" arguments. This is a computer game. It's not a work of art that only those who "get it" can appreciate and those who don't cannot. SI has to listen to customer feedback, to gauge the feeling on the forum and to find ways to adapt and improve the game. Compare the feedback on the forum today to say during the days of cm01/02, cm03/04 or even FM2005. Something is wrong and only a blind SI fanatic would deny it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HonkyDick:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave C:

You may think what I said was nonsense, but given I'm part of that research team I can assure you it's not. A transfer can't create a bug, but aspects of the process could unbalance the database, and it's that they have to test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only said nonsense because you used it a few times in your post. icon_razz.gif

I recommend in future that they concentrate on bug fixes and release a patch first, after that they can do however many data or transfer updates as they want. So then the people that want an update so much can either put up with said 'unbalanced database' or wait for the balanced update. The rest of us just want to play and don't need Johnny Smith to be at his new club 6 months before he actually got there. I start at the English start date and don't want to start at any other time just to accommodate the transfers, so they are a bit out of whack anyway. The players new club could sell them before they have even played for the team as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. I just can't see how could moving players to other clubs have any effect on match engine or anything alse in the game. the problem is that the database is allready done, probably, it's bug fixes which aren't. icon_mad.gif but I would still preffer to wait a week longer then have a half done patch.

Even if the game-side of the patch was ready, the data won't be.

You make think it's an easy job to do a full research exercise across several continents incorporating dozens of countries, thousands of players, error-check that, collate it, test it, make sure it's balanced etc. All with a predominantly volunteer team that have their own jobs and lives.

It's not.

So that's why your reasons 1 and 2 are nonsense.

Reason 3 is nonsense as it's irrelevant how many people say something, it will still take as long as necessary to fix. And the patch is about improving, not adding.

Actually, that pretty much does for reason 4 as well.

So we've now established 4 of your 5 reasons are utter nonsense.

5 is a long-standing debate on which SI made their minds up long ago. So that's that done too.

Wow. You must feel pretty silly right now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what a sanctimonious post!

the guy paid for the game back in october. he is entitled to expect a 'working', 'ready' game by mid feb. get over yourself or grow the hell up! utterly pathetic

Hi

Can someone clarify a point for me re the patches.

I know that SI will release a patch when ready but they will release a patch that either has the players update and bugs fixes or just a bug fix patch (for those like me who won't start another game).

What I would like clarified is this :

Is the data update re players inextricably liked to the bug fixes for this patch.

If that sounds naive apologies, it's just that if they are not why wouldn't SI release a bug fix patch earlier and then do the updated player data patch for those that want it later.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Honestly I don't see the point of posting "take it or leave it" arguments. This is a computer game. It's not a work of art that only those who "get it" can appreciate and those who don't cannot. SI has to listen to customer feedback, to gauge the feeling on the forum and to find ways to adapt and improve the game. Compare the feedback on the forum today to say during the days of cm01/02, cm03/04 or even FM2005. Something is wrong and only a blind SI fanatic would deny it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There have always been just as many complaints on the forums after every release recently, CM4 probably being the worst.

The only difference is that now there are more people with access to the internet, and imo more young people. There are no more problems with the game, and none of them are particularly any more serious. It's just that a lot more people are a lot more vocal about it these days.

And I'm far from an SI fanatic. I did however spend many years working in the games industry so have a good grasp of what goes on, and how complicated things that people take for granted actually are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazza:

Hi

Can someone clarify a point for me re the patches.

I know that SI will release a patch when ready but they will release a patch that either has the players update and bugs fixes or just a bug fix patch (for those like me who won't start another game).

What I would like clarified is this :

Is the data update re players inextricably liked to the bug fixes for this patch.

If that sounds naive apologies, it's just that if they are not why wouldn't SI release a bug fix patch earlier and then do the updated player data patch for those that want it later.

Thanks icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

becouse data changes don't need any testing and stuff, data's probably updated allready... while to make a decent patch it takes a lot of testing and tweakin and I don't know what alse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

There have always been just as many complaints on the forums after every release recently, CM4 probably being the worst.

The only difference is that now there are more people with access to the internet, and imo more young people. There are no more problems with the game, and none of them are particularly any more serious. It's just that a lot more people are a lot more vocal about it these days.

And I'm far from an SI fanatic. I did however spend many years working in the games industry so have a good grasp of what goes on, and how complicated things that people take for granted actually are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

with all due respect mate, however complicated things are to code etc (and im sure they are), the customer has the right to expect what is advertised. the spanish registration bug in particular is a very serious and quite widespread issue. the game has been out 4 months now, and for the many among us who religiously play the spanish league, the game is unplayable. it is not as advertised.

perhaps SI are becoming too ambitious / greedy? (delete as applicable depending on your cynicism) either way, rightful consumer indignance is totally valid. If SI are coding something too complicated and beyond their abilities/comprehension then maybe they should take a step back and rein in their promises. i would much rather play a scaled back and bug-free game than an ambitious title that is still deeply flawed months and months after release.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valencia:

with all due respect mate, however complicated things are to code etc (and im sure they are), the customer has the right to expect what is advertised. the spanish registration bug in particular is a very serious and quite widespread issue. the game has been out 4 months now, and for the many among us who religiously play the spanish league, the game is unplayable. it is not as advertised.

perhaps SI are becoming too ambitious / greedy? (delete as applicable depending on your cynicism) either way, rightful consumer indignance is totally valid. If SI are coding something too complicated and beyond their abilities/comprehension then maybe they should take a step back and rein in their promises. i would much rather play a scaled back and bug-free game than an ambitious title that is still deeply flawed months and months after release. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you missed my point. I pointed out earlier that the one bug that SI were absolutely under obligation to fix is the Spanish registration bug.

My point is that that's pretty much all that they are obliged to fix and anything else is an added bonus and should be treated that way rather than demanded like it is these days.

fair enough, but there are a fair few major bugs that have surfaced in the bugs forum. my gripe is that this seems to have become a yearly ritual with SI (and perhaps a more widespread malaise across the gaming community, as games are rushed out to meet release date projections)

I dont think it is acceptable to purchase something in October, which is effectively only complete upon the release of a patch(s) over 4 months later.

I apologise for singling you out in response, my stance is more against the fanboy apologists (of which i dont count you as one, seeing as you employ reason in your arguments). The consumer has the right of complaint and i would like SI to buck up its ideas. I do feel that there has been very little done by SI to manage expectations on this patch, and in particular the spanish registration bug. a 'it'll be done when its done' attitude is not acceptable when they already have the customer's hard earned readies in their back-pocket!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valencia:

fair enough, but there are a fair few major bugs that have surfaced in the bugs forum. my gripe is that this seems to have become a yearly ritual with SI (and perhaps a more widespread malaise across the gaming community, as games are rushed out to meet release date projections)

I dont think it is acceptable to purchase something in October, which is effectively only complete upon the release of a patch(s) over 4 months later.

I apologise for singling you out in response, my stance is more against the fanboy apologists (of which i dont count you as one, seeing as you employ reason in your arguments). The consumer has the right of complaint and i would like SI to buck up its ideas. I do feel that there has been very little done by SI to manage expectations on this patch, and in particular the spanish registration bug. a 'it'll be done when its done' attitude is not acceptable when they already have the customer's hard earned readies in their back-pocket! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's certainly fair to say that the need for patches, and seemingly rushed releases is now part of the course for the games industry, particularly when it comes to games that rely on annual releases. Whilst FM is undeniably the market leader, there is notable competition and a delayed release could seriously impact sales, so there is a need to get the product out on the shelf. I'm not going to say whether or not FM was rushed or not as I just don't know, but as I have business geared mind, I can certainly understand the reasoning if it was. Furthermore, this is also becoming more common in the games industry where the release schedule is far less tight. Civilization 4 is possibly one of the best examples. The game was released in a truly disgraceful state, and was for the vast majority, completley unplayable. It was clear that this was released when, based on the quality of the patches, at least 6 months to years further development in order to make the game stable. This is a practice that is becoming more common in the games industry, I'm just grateful that SI are one of the companies that try to rectify problems with games, as there are many companies that don't give a toss once they have your money.

As for your final point, whilst it's not ideal, I am personally of the belief that the "it'll be ready when it's ready" attitude is the best when it comes to the release of a patch. If a date is set, and this isn't met, it then causes huge amounts of anger as the date the user was promised has passed. If the date is met, but the patch is a shocker, then it is likely to cause even more anger.

IF the patch is ready and SI have held it up for the transfer updates then imo thats an error of judgement, and poor reading of the situation FM is in for many.

However I feel that this is not the case, as I just dont think SI would withold something that would transform the game, and stop a whole lot of complaining on these boards.

IMO the real reason we havent got it is probably a bit of both- SI know that it will take X amount of time to get the transfer update ready, and are merely using this cushion to squeeze a little more dev and testing time into the patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

1 reason why it shouldn't be.

1. It's not ready. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry brandon, but this is the only reason that matters. If it was ready, it would be out. Simple as.

Whilst I not in agreement with the original poster; in the way that they are demanding the patch (I really don't think throwing your toys out of the pram and stamping your feet will make the patch appear any quicker), I'm not overly happy in the way the patch is being released.

I can understand that some people want the data correct, that's fine. As has been mentioned before, why not just release a data patch? I'm sure this has been done in the past. I'm not that interested in up to the minute data. After playing for several hours my in-game teams bear little resemblance to the actual teams anyway.

What I would like, is a patch to sort the bugs out. If this means it will take longer then so be it. Give the data geeks their patch, I'll happily wait longer if it means the games works properly.

I am happy enough with the game as it is. A few of my gripes can be got around by changing various settings (eg. corners for one). The others I get by with sheer blind ignorance. If that fails me, I start again.

I've been playing this game since the DOS version in the 90's. It's never been perfect, I don't know of a game that is. Considering how much the game has changed, they do a damn good job.

Granted the bugs are annoying and we want them fixed, but people screaming for fixes 'now' will not help. A rushed patch is likely to cause more issues than make fixes (EA are masters of this, BF2 players will know what I mean)

It would be nice if the development team would let us know a time period they are aiming for release, but I fully understand why they don't. If they did and missed it, certain posters would be on here stamping their feet and crying that 'time is up, I want my patch now'.

I don't imagine there will be a third 'bug' patch so I really hope they get it right this time, but then, I always think this.

Honestly I don't see the point of posting "take it or leave it" arguments. This is a computer game. It's not a work of art that only those who "get it" can appreciate and those who don't cannot. SI has to listen to customer feedback, to gauge the feeling on the forum and to find ways to adapt and improve the game. Compare the feedback on the forum today to say during the days of cm01/02, cm03/04 or even FM2005. Something is wrong and only a blind SI fanatic would deny it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I'm far from an SI fanatic. I did however spend many years working in the games industry so have a good grasp of what goes on, and how complicated things that people take for granted actually are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fail to see how this stems from the evils of more "young people" on the internet. This isn't myspace or youtube. As far as I can tell it tends to be those who were registered in 2000-2004 or those who have played previous versions of the game (for comparison) that are complaining. Even if there are hypothetically more young people complaining how are their opinions any less valuable or important?

I fail to see how this stems from the evils of more "young people" on the internet. This isn't myspace or youtube. As far as I can tell it tends to be those who were registered in 2000-2004 or those who have played previous versions of the game (for comparison) that are complaining. Even if there are hypothetically more young people complaining how are their opinions any less valuable or important? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opinion that the higher number of complaints is in line with the higher number of younger people on the boards is mainly based on the type of complaints we see these days.

I agree there are plenty of established members still outlining problems (different to actual bugs) that need to be improved. However there is now a massive number of people saying things like 'this game is unplayable, why have SI not released a patch to fix a game I paid for months ago'.

Imo the only people who can make this claim are those that have been effected by the serious bugs such as the spanish registration one. All other problems (such as the high number of one-on-one chances), while annoying for many certainly cannot be classed as game ending bugs.

There have always been people bringing up issues with the game in order to try and improve it. I genuinely believe that this version is no worse than other versions have been before the final patch and I stand by the fact that there are just more whingers on the boards these days.

A while ago SI used to release incremental patches which did not go down well as a whole as they tended to introduce bugs that weren't caught in testing (or were caught but weren't considered enough to delay that patch).

I think that after all the feedback was collated they settled on the "two patch system" and that's the way it's going to be. Ultimately - we (collectively) have been the architects of this system through our feedback.

The same can be said for their updates on patches - SI's efforts to communicate with us have generally turned against them with our reactions so they tell us little that they don't know 100%.

Future developments in the game they will never confirm for competitive reasons (specifically the Championship Manager series) - so if they see an idea and like it they won't tell you!

I fail to see how this stems from the evils of more "young people" on the internet. This isn't myspace or youtube. As far as I can tell it tends to be those who were registered in 2000-2004 or those who have played previous versions of the game (for comparison) that are complaining. Even if there are hypothetically more young people complaining how are their opinions any less valuable or important? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opinion that the higher number of complaints is in line with the higher number of younger people on the boards is mainly based on the type of complaints we see these days.

I agree there are plenty of established members still outlining problems (different to actual bugs) that need to be improved. However there is now a massive number of people saying things like 'this game is unplayable, why have SI not released a patch to fix a game I paid for months ago'.

Imo the only people who can make this claim are those that have been effected by the serious bugs such as the spanish registration one. All other problems (such as the high number of one-on-one chances), while annoying for many certainly cannot be classed as game ending bugs.

There have always been people bringing up issues with the game in order to try and improve it. I genuinely believe that this version is no worse than other versions have been before the final patch and I stand by the fact that there are just more whingers on the boards these days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to me that your posts are grounded on some mysterious assertions. People can't complain unless they are complaining the registration bug? Who says? If there are more complaints there must be more whingers, rather than more problems with the game?

Can I just remind you that your experiences of the game is just the experience of one gamer. It's no more or less valuable and important than the experiences of other FM gamers. They are entitled to enjoy the game as well. I mean, nobody is trying to prove that the game is unplayable to the extent that not a single gamer can go through an enjoyable long term save. You'd assume that the testers at SI would have at least played it and determined that it is playable for them.

But FM is supposed to be a relatively "non-linear" game (to borrow your phrase). The idea is that if you have a decent knowledge of football you can try and apply that to the game and get a decent set of results. SI are not all knowing gods when it comes to realism. Their creation (the match engine) cannot be assumed as being totally realistic. The fact that one person (yourself) has cracked the game does not imply that others must be whinging if they didn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

IF the patch is ready and SI have held it up for the transfer updates then imo thats an error of judgement, and poor reading of the situation FM is in for many.

However I feel that this is not the case, as I just dont think SI would withold something that would transform the game, and stop a whole lot of complaining on these boards.

IMO the real reason we havent got it is probably a bit of both- SI know that it will take X amount of time to get the transfer update ready, and are merely using this cushion to squeeze a little more dev and testing time into the patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All those ill informed and self righteous posts and finally someone gets it dead right icon14.gif

It seems to me that your posts are grounded on some mysterious assertions. People can't complain unless they are complaining the registration bug? Who says? If there are more complaints there must be more whingers, rather than more problems with the game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you actually reading what I write. If you were you would have noticed that I said only people who experience genuine game stopping bugs should claim the game is unplayable. At no point did I say that only people who experience the Spanish registration bug should be allowed to complain, just that these people are part of a small group who can actually claim that their game is unplayable.

My point is that too many people blow things out of proportion. Similar numbers of problems occurred in earlier CM/FM games, but for some reason people seem to think that FM08 is different in this way and because of that is 'a disgrace' and was 'rushed out'. It's always taken until the second patch for the game to be perfect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can I just remind you that your experiences of the game is just the experience of one gamer. It's no more or less valuable and important than the experiences of other FM gamers. They are entitled to enjoy the game as well. I mean, nobody is trying to prove that the game is unplayable to the extent that not a single gamer can go through an enjoyable long term save. You'd assume that the testers at SI would have at least played it and determined that it is playable for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And can I just remind you that I constantly use the term IMO. I think this should make it pretty clear that I'm putting forward my opinions only. And why are all people 'entitled to enjoy the game'? Not every game is for every person, I've lost count of the number of games I've bought that I didn't particularly enjoy but that other people did enjoy. You move on, trade the game in for something else and forget about it.

What annoys me is the fact that people are convinced they are owed a better game than what they got first time round. It's generally not like that with any other game, especially console games, so why is this one any different.

I just dispair at the number of people who come on here and slag the game and SI off, and who can't wait the free patch to be fully ready before it's released.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But FM is supposed to be a relatively "non-linear" game (to borrow your phrase). The idea is that if you have a decent knowledge of football you can try and apply that to the game and get a decent set of results. SI are not all knowing gods when it comes to realism. Their creation (the match engine) cannot be assumed as being totally realistic. The fact that one person (yourself) has cracked the game does not imply that others must be whinging if they didn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what you're on about here. My use of the term 'whinging' refers to the multitude of two or three line topics that get started these days that say nothing more than 'This game sux'.

These threads are pointless and do nothing to improve the game. The same goes for threads demanding the patch be released right now. I'm sure if it was ready it would be out, SI have nothing to gain from holding it back. And I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but if that's not good enough then vote with your wallet. Trade the game in and buy something else, then don't buy FM09. That's your right as a consumer and that's the option you'd be left with if you weren't happy with most other games.

Archived