[FM10] Ireland World Cup 2010 Campaign Minus Thierry Henry

dburns647

football_logo_nat13.jpg

Hopefully I would be able to lead Ireland to the World Cup where they should have been if it hadn't been for that cheat Henry

:mad:.

So anyway, this is the situation Trapattoni left me in:

WorldCupEuropeanQualifyingSection-2.png

My main target would be to qualify for the play-off's and hopefully progress to South Africa.

Friendly - Ireland 0-0 Australia

Overview, Match Stats + Ireland Player Ratings

So a bore 0-0 draw to start my reign as Ireland manager.

This was a largely experimetal line up as none of the 11 that started this game would be in my first choice team.

We started with a basic 442 but ended the game playing a asymmetric 4231 with O'Shea playing at DM as anchor man and Keane as my link man between midfield and Kevin Doyle.

World Cup Qualifer, Group 8 - Cyprus 1-1 Ireland

So my first competitve match in charge of my home nation ended in a draw, I was disappointed with the result along with the fans.

Disaster struck on the eve of the match with star man Robbie Keane discolating his shoulder the day before the match which was a big blow to our hopes, I had hoped to play Keane up front with Doyle and as Ireland dont possess another top class striker I played McGeady up front as a trequarista with Stephen Hunt coming in on the left side of midfield. Only 2 players kept their places from the Austraila game - Keith Foley at RB and Andy O'Brien at CB.

McGeady scored a wonder goal picking the ball up just inside the Cyprus half and ran towards the goal beating 2 men along the way then feinted to shoot and rounded the keeper and put the ball into the empty net. The Cyprus goal came from a corner which we failed to defend. However we had a chance to win the game right at the death but John O'Shea hit the post with a header.

Friendly - Ireland 1-0 South Africa

So my next game was a friendly against the World Cup hosts.

Not much to write about here, I tried a 442 which didnt seem to work too well. John O'Shea'a versatility is proving invaluable as in the 3 games so far he has played DM, LB + now RB and also his preferred position is of course CB. The goal came from a corner flicked on at the near post by Shane Long with Duff tapping in from 2 yards out.

World Cup Qualifer, Group 8 - Ireland 0-2 Italy

This would be a tough game against the current World champions, and my task wasnt helped by Shay Given getting injured 3 days before the match and Robbie Keane being a long way of being fit. So an Ireland side without thier two best players playing against the current World Cup holders, they couldn't possibly win could they?

Well we were unlucky to lose 2-0 as both Italy goals came from counter attacks, the first goal came 30 seconds after Liam Lawrence hit the cross bar with a free kick that had Buffon beaten. Then the 2nd came from Ireland having a corner played across to Andy Reid on the edge of the box who hit it first time on the volley and it hit the post and bounced clear, Italy counter attack up the left wing, crooss the ball in and its game over for Ireland.

World Cup Qualifer, Group 8 - Ireland 4-2 Montenegro

Next up was Montenegro, where we had to win not only to finish 2nd in our group but to get a play off place as we were currently bottom of the second placed teams meaning we would miss out on the play off's. We had to win by two goals to make up the goal differnce as well so this was a tense match.

Again we were without Keane + Given. Knowing that we needed goals I packed the midfield with creativity with McGeady, Fahey + Reid all capable of picking a pass. We quickly went a goal ahead thanks to a fantastic through ball Aiden McGeady into Noel Hunt who chipped the keeper. Our second followed soon after with an Andy Reid free kick from 25 yards out. So we had a two goal cushion, time to sit back and defend? No, we kept on attacking and were rewarded when Andy Reid scored his second goal of the game, surely that was the play off place secured.

When we did decide to hold out for what we had, we ended up conceding and now one more goal would kill the dream of going to South Africa but Noel Hunt put the game beyond doubt with a good goal from a Kevin Doyle knock down before Stevan Jovetic grabbed a consolation goal.

World Cup Qualifier Playoff, Second Leg Ukraine 1-1 Ireland

A much improved performance altough the main reason we are in South Africa is becasue of Shay Given's heroics in the last half hour of the game. He played as if he is playing in the World Cup final final itself. Keith Fahey's first goal for Ireland couldn't have come at a better time as we had dominated but hadnt scored and from then on the game was played in our half of the pitch, we were very lucky to hold on but justice has been done as Ireland have qualified for South Africa 2010 while Henry + Co. will be watching at home.

The 32 teams to qualify for the 2010 World Cup are:

Algeria
Argentina
Austraila
Brazil
Chile
Costa Rica
England
Germany
Ghana
Greece
Holland
Honduras
Italy
Ivory Coast
Japan
Mexico
Nigeria
North Korea
Paraguay
Portugal
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Serbia
Slovakia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Switzerland
Togo
Turkey
USA

Noticeable absentees include France, Uruguay, Croatia + Czech Republic. All ranked above Ireland in the World Rankings.

The group stages for the World Cup are:

Group A

Ireland
Italy 
Togo
USA

Group B

Ghana 
Japan
Spain
Turkey 

Group C

Argentina
Honduras
Portugal
South Korea

Group D

Brazil
Greece
Mexico
Nigeria

Group E

Costa Rica
Holland
Ivory Coast
Serbia

Group F

Austraila
Chile
South Africa
Switzerland

Group G

Algeria
Germany
Saudi Arabia
Slovakia

Group H

England
North Korea
Paraguay
Russia

I just can't stay away from Italy :thdn: looks like another 2nd place finish at best

France failed to qualify. :D Should have happened in reality too.

Congratulations on qualifying. I don't think that is a bad group tbh. If the real World Cup is anything to go by the top 2 should be you and the USA. :D

If you win the Group, you will probably be playing Ghana or Turkey then so I expect a quarter-final appearance as the minimum. :p

France failed to qualify. :D Should have happened in reality too.

Congratulations on qualifying. I don't think that is a bad group tbh. If the real World Cup is anything to go by the top 2 should be you and the USA. :D

If you win the Group, you will probably be playing Ghana or Turkey then so I expect a quarter-final appearance as the minimum. :p

Yea it should have happened but it wasn't to be.

Haha no I can't see Italy failing to qualify.

You have faith in me :) yea but should I finish 2nd I'll prob be playing Spain.

Thanks

The 23 man World Cup squad

DarrenBurns-4-1.png

Decided to call Anton Ferdinand up because of a lack of decent CB's. However, Shay Given torn his hamstring 2 weeks before the squad announcement so would be available. Decided not to call Steve Finnan up despite pressure from the Irish media to do so and I would instead let Kevin Foley continue as first choice RB. I planned on alternating between a 4411 and a 442 depending on the opposition.

Friendly - Ireland 1-2 Serbia

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/dburns647/Ireland/IrelandvSerbia.png[/img]"]Overview, Match Stats + Ireland Player Ratings

My only warm up game prior to the World Cup and it wasnt great. We took an early lead thanks to a header from Kevin Doyle but from then on the game was fairly even but Serbia took their chances better than us and we cant have too many complaints as we had enough chances to win 2 games. An improvement would be needed for the next game, which was Italy.

World Cup, Group A - Ireland 1-1 Italy

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/dburns647/Ireland/ItalyvIreland-1.png[/img]"]Overview, Match Stats + Ireland Player Ratings

My best result so far as Ireland manager. Could so easily have won and could have been beat by 2 or 3. The match was great for the neutral, end to end with both teams going all out for the win.

Sebastian Giovanco opened the scoring with the easiest goal he will ever score in his career as Del Piero hit the post with a shot and the ball rolled out to Giovanco 2 yards out with an empty net. Then Colin Doyle got injured going up for a high ball from a corner and I didnt want to take any risks especially with a goalkeeper. Soon after we got the equaliser we deserved through the nations leading goalscorer, Robbie Keane. Aiden McGeady crossed the ball in from the right wing towards Kevin Doyle who headed it down towards Keane who was on the edge of the box. Keane took a touch to control it then passed the ball into the bottom corner beyond Buffon. Doyle got injured going for the header to set the goal up so had to be taken off.

A draw was probably the right result as it was an even game.

Group A results:

Ireland 1 – 1 Italy

USA 2 – 1 Togo

Group A after one game:

[font=Courier New][size=3]            P    W    D    L    F    A    Pts[/size][/font]

[font=Courier New][size=3]USA         1    1    0    0    2    1     3 [/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Ireland     1    0    1    0    1    1     1[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Italy       1    0    1    0    1    1     1[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Togo        1    0    0    1    1    2     0[/size][/font]

World Cup, Group A - Ireland 1-0 USA

A great result despite a poor performance, I decided to change to a 4411 rather than partner Keane and Doyle up front in a 442 as I wanted to control the game and keep posession with an extra man in midfield. Westwood replaced Doyle in nets, Andy O'Brien replaced Anton Ferdinand at CB alongside captain Richard Dunne, McGeady and Hunt were replaced on the wings by Liam Lawrence and Damien Duff with Keith Fahey coming in for Kevin Doyle, and he played off Robie Keane.

The match was end to end without there being too many chances but the goal was sensational. Steven Reid picked the ball up out on the right wing and fed it inside towards Kevin Foley who was 25 yards ou and struck it first time into the top corner past Tim Howard. So a win to put us top of the table, and another victory against Togo should see us finish top or a draw will probably see us go through in 2nd place.

Group A results:

Ireland 1 – 0 USA

Togo 1 – 1 Italy

Group A after 2 games:

[font=Courier New][size=3]            P    W    D    L    F    A    Pts[/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Courier New][font=Courier New][size=3]Ireland     2    1    1    0    2    1     4 [/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]USA         2    0    1    0    2    2     3[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Italy       2    0    2    0    2    2     2[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Togo        2    0    1    1    2    3     1[/size][/font][/font][/size]

World Cup, Group A - Ireland 2-0 Togo

So this was the result that secured top spot in the group ahead of USA + Italy regardless of what happened in that game.

Stephen Hunt was sensational in this game playing as a defensive winger at AML scoring both goals, the first was a solo effort where he beat 3 men then tucked it into the bottom corner and the second goal was all about the vision of Keith Fahey who played an outrageous through ball inside the RB into the path of Hunt who finished well.

Group A results:

Ireland 2-0 Togo

Italy 0-1 USA

Group A after 3 games:

[size=3][font=Courier New][size=3]Ireland     3    2    1    0    4    1     7 [/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]USA         3    2    0    0    3    2     6[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Italy       3    0    2    1    2    3     2[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Togo        3    0    1    1    2    5     1[/size][/font][/size]

Second Round Draw

[font=Courier New][size=3]Ireland     vs     Turkey[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Spain       vs     USA[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Argentina   vs     Brazil[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Greece      vs     Portugal[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Ivory Coast vs     Switzerland[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Austraila   vs     Holland[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Russia      vs     Germany[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Slovakia    vs     England[/size][/font]

Great performance :thup:

What did I say further up :D

France failed to qualify. Should have happened in reality too.

World Cup, Second Round - Ireland 2-1 Turkey

A great performance in a even match and if anything, Turkey shaded it but I'm not complaining.

Robbie Keane started the scoring with a tap in from a delightful Liam Lawrence cross which the keeper flopped at and it fell into the path of Keane and he didn't miss. Turkey got back into the game with a goal before half time from a free kick on the edge of the box which went in off the post. However after the break Stephen Hunt scored his 3rd goal of the tournament and what proved to be the winner to put Ireland into their second World Cup Quarter final and the fans were delighted after the game.

World Cup Quarter Finals:

[font=Courier New][size=3]Ireland     vs    Portugal[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]USA         vs    Argentina[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Ivory Coast vs    England[/size][/font]
[font=Courier New][size=3]Holland     vs    Russia[/size][/font]

World Cup, Quarter Final - Ireland 2-0 Portugal

A fantastic result and a great performance against the team ranked 5th in the world and I'm delighted to keep a clean sheet. Cristiano who? ;)

The two goals couldn't have been more different as the first a thunderbolt from Steven Reid and the second was a team move which was finished of by Kevin Doyle, reminiscent of Cambiasso's goal in 2006.

I dont think anyone in the world, not even the most die hard Ireland fan, would have predicted that Ireland would be in a World Cup semi final especially without their only close to world class player - Shay Given. Should we go out in the semi's I will still be more than happy.

World Cup, Semi Final - Ireland 1-1 Holland (Ireland win 5-4 on penalties)

This was probably one of our poorer peformances of the tournament as Holland completly dominated posession and we clung onto the draw in the end and fortunatly won on penalties.

Our goal came from a free kick from 20 yards from Chris McCann who has been great as a deep lying playmaker, while Holland showed their class with their goal which was a volley from Robin van Persie which reminded me of van Basten's goal.

We scored 5 out of 5 from our penalties while Rafael van der Vaart missed for Holland and it was left to John O'Shea to score the winning penalty.

well you got your wish mate :thup: England beat Argentina in their semi final :D

Brilliant, as long as you don't let the country down at this stage. :p

Going by England's performance in reality, I'd go for 3-0 to Ireland but as they seem to be better in FM, how about a 1-1 draw with Ireland winning on penalties. ;)

Brilliant, as long as you don't let the country down at this stage. :p

Going by England's performance in reality, I'd go for 3-0 to Ireland but as they seem to be better in FM, how about a 1-1 draw with Ireland winning on penalties. ;)

Haha I think the country will be proud regardless of the result :D

Yea they are a lot better in FM, you seem to have a lot of faith in me :p

Archived