Should I get rid of this guy?

I signed this guy four years ago for something like 4 million and he quickly became a wonderkid, his value skyrocketed to 28.5 million. Fast-forward two awful seasons later, which included him being dropped from the first 11 then from the squad altogether, 23 fines for poor performance and a 1.2 rating in the CL Final (he made mistakes that lead to all three opp. goals) Should I just sell him?

I have tried every setting for him and the awful ratings this year were on a simple CB-Defend setting.

x29wme.png

Sell or retrain him to a different position like CM/DM - where mistakes are less costly and he can be very useful - or FB - he's reasonably quick and can dribble very well.

What are his hidden stats?

Don't know, I don't tend to look at the hidden ones. I'm guessing "bad at football" is around 16 or so.:rolleyes:

Maybe some encouragement after a poor performance instead of a fine!?

Scary thing is, I did that for the first 10 or so bad games. I only started fining him if he was below 5.5 and made one costly mistake.

Maybe he just needs to be babied.

What does the report say? Maybe he is prone to fail in important matches.

Anyways, I would skip him off on a loan for a season.

Make sure the moves you tought him, make up for the CB, like simple passes, close marking, aim for passes rather than shots on goal, doesnt run with the ball etc. That should reduce the amount of times he screws up. If he got none of that stuff, well, get on with it. ;)

WTF?? I'm more interested in why you are paying him 4.4 mill a year. what does that work out in weekly terms? and why have you got it set to yearly anyway?

I am the richest club in the EPL and he was for a time looking like he was going to be amazing. He makes like 80k a week. He's only my fourth highest paid player.

WTF?? I'm more interested in why you are paying him 4.4 mill a year. what does that work out in weekly terms? and why have you got it set to yearly anyway?

You weren't talking to me but I have mine set to yearly. In all my years of following American sports I've never once seen salaries expressed in per week terminology. So they're almost meaningless to me when I'm trying to understand how well a player is being compensated relative to others because my frame of reference is, well, nothing. In short "$1,800,000 per year" means something to me in a way "$35,000 per week" doesn't.

In that way it's a lot like measures of weight, height, and currency. It's just presenting the same data in a way that's familiar to us.

Seeing that teej9 is also American, or at least living in America, I imagine he has similar reasons.

You weren't talking to me but I have mine set to yearly. In all my years of following American sports I've never once seen salaries expressed in per week terminology. So they're almost meaningless to me when I'm trying to understand how well a player is being compensated relative to others because my frame of reference is, well, nothing. In short "$1,800,000 per year" means something to me in a way "$35,000 per week" doesn't.

In that way it's a lot like measures of weight, height, and currency. It's just presenting the same data in a way that's familiar to us.

Seeing that teej9 is also American, or at least living in America, I imagine he has similar reasons.

I'm also Australian and I set my wages to yearly, for the same reason as you - we never hear sportsmen over here getting x dollars per week, instead it's always their yearly salary.

Exactly. It's just what I'm used to wage wise.

He looks like a world class CB although his jumping and bravery atsand out as weaknesses if compared to the absolute world class level.

His performances seem to be okayish when looking at the average rating but surely one should be able to expect more. I'd give him one last try of another season and if he then still doesn't perform as he should, then I'd sell him on. You should be able to get lots for him in that case and make sure that when you offer him out to include a huge bonus payment (about 50-75% of his market value) after 10 league matches. Other clubs are likely to accept that :)

That annoys me in FM. a player is playing totally pants and a big club offers a huge sum for him. irl he would probably go to blackburn

p.s. no offense blackburn fans

That's not true, there are lots of exceptions irl where players with big names get big offers after pllaying crap.

Sell him...

regardless of how well you can retrain him as FB/DM, if he has made so many costly mistakes it'll mean his consistency and/or important matches/pressure hidden stats are ridiculously low (as usual in newgens).

There are clubs willing to pay you a truckload of money for him, so accept the offers asap.

I'd carry him to Madrid (or anywhere else) on my shoulders for 10M, had he costed me a Champions League final...

His big matches stat is probably low

he isn't cut out to be a top level CB, he isn't good enough aerially and he isn't strong enough physically

One physical stat under 14?

In my opinion the players great defensive attributes make up for the fact he isn't sensational in the air and isn't unbelievably fast... I wouldn't mind having him for a top side

Different tactics for different managers I suppose.

I personally don't see it as such a huge issue though if he a defender is only decent at jumping, yet his ability to tackle and mark etc is sensational then in my opinion the player is good enough.

But still, if aerial ability is so major to you then that's fine by me

If a player got a 1.2 rating in any game, at any level for me, he would be gone, especially in a final of something. I'm guessing that 1.2 rating came because of his heading ability? Sell him.

Twelve jumping just does not cut it as a center back in my opinion and that awful technique stops him playing at a high level any where in midfield, then you take into account his age and he isn't going to get much better.

Another case of a newgen with some amazing stats, but not the right stats to play in any specific position.I Hope it gets sorted for the next FM.

SELL HIM!!

@Arsenalfan7 - If any center back with twelve heading played against my team he would be absolutely destroyed no matter what any other stats are. It's a serious weakness and easily exploited.

You could send him on loan for 5 mil per year, and maybe give him another try if he did well for his new club. At least his market value will rise if he gets matches again and does reasonably. If not, loan him out again or sell him.

Defo stop fining him. He probably doesn't respond well to that sort of discipline. Like others have said, maybe retraining him might help.

Alternatively, if you don't already, try sticking another Brazilian in the squad, or get him to tutor someone. His morale looks pretty good, so maybe an individual teamtalk of "I have faith..." before the next big match and give him some man-marking duties if there's a lone striker that needs managing. A couple of good performances and he should continue to produce for you.

I had a player like this

Belgian Regen

Cashed in on him 22mil once I ended my first season in the prem.

Had him for two seasons.

Wheater and another regen filled his slot quickly, lesser stats but my two most consistent performers.

yeah I would sell him.

I had a very good youth from Cameroon who was very good (even scored the first goal of his first game, at the age of 16 and 2 days old) but after reaching age 19, he went from being a 3 star youth player to a 1 star average player, his stats dropped mainly due to injuries and refusing the practice. He's been unsigned since leaving the team on a free transfer. He was a good kid though when he played. Would have made a very good FC/ST/AMC if he had practiced and not be a brat.

Archived