Memories from old games

I was chatting to a mate the other day and we were discussing various stories dating back to the original Championship Manager back when we were both in High School. I jsut thought I'd start a little thread (sorry if there is another one similar somewhere, feel free to re-direct me) so that people could share any random memories from previous incarnations of the game. 2 of my favourites are:

on CM 92/93 I was playing a 2 player game with the kid across the road (he was Chelsea and I was QPR). I signed a Russian guy called Aleksi Podubski just because my mate gazumped me and got Alan Moore and Darren Caskey (2 of THE best players on taht version). Anyway, I didn't want him really and tried to sell him to my mate who just liked the idea of having a foreigner. Anyway this guy refused to move so I fined him every week for over a year until he agreed to sign. I feel bad about it now, the guy was probably living on the streets.

on a later version (probably around CM2) I had a generated player called Evan Quinn who was an AML who managed to score 50+ every season yet was only ever valued at about £1m and NEVER got to play for England (and before you ask I was not using any cheat formations)

So what random memories do you guys have?

I also remember on one version of CM (can't remember which one) I got Rep of Ireland to the WC final but got so many injuries and suspensions that I couldn't field a team (it didn't generate players for me either). As there was no FMRTE back then I couldn't continue my game. I had to resign so that I could continue with my club and despite applying for the Ireland job again they never took me back. I ended up becoming England manager a season or two later and my first match was a qualifier against them in Ireland...I thumped them 6-0

In the early games, I always picked up James Beattie as a schoolboy no matter what. Even with a Finishing attribute of 1, he would score tons of goals on every level I played.

I usually picked him up in the lowest english league and still had him by the time I got into the Premiership.

Taribo West on a free on 01/02. He was in the backbone of literally every one of my teams on that game, and still is on th occasions I boot it up.

I always signed him as well.

Supat Rungratsamee (Rugrats for short), Jussi Kujala, Mark Kerr, Cherno Samba, Hadzimehmedovic (spelling?) and a few others, youngsters who ALWAYS turned into great players for me.

Starting with Tranmere on Cm93/94 with £40m or whatever in the bank.

Trying to stay awake at 3am whilst the season update processed on the Amiga (no hard drive - took about 30 minutes, all floppy disk i/o)

Having to keep a spare copy of the floppies because you knew every ten seasons or so you'd get a read/write error.

Demis Ohandjanian for my Bradford team in Cm97/98.

I remember getting my local club into the Champions League Group Stage in CM 03/04 (I think). The first match was away against Arsenal and I was thumped 7-1 after scoring the first goal of the game after 4 minutes. That was my last match on that game because a new game had come out and I didn't have enough space on my (crappy) computer to have both games installed on it :p

Do they still write it in all-capital and multiple exclamation marks like this: 'MARK SMITH PUSHES THE REFEREE!!!'? And 6 game ban for my Charlton captain, the 2nd best defender in the world of CM3 (next to Andy Duncan who played for my cousin's Sunderland, she's a girl and did write Mr.Duncan a fan's letter). None of my players ever push a referee in any version since then.

The best memory I have is from cm 03 - 04. I was managing Liverpool and needed somebody in midfield, one of my favourite players at the time - Steed Malbranque had a 5.5mil release clause at Fulham. I got him and after about 3 or 4 years he was my captain. The biggest bid i rejected was around the 50mil mark from barcelona. He went on to captain France. he was a total legend:cool:, I've never developed a player to that extent since...:(

The best memory I have is from cm 03 - 04. I was managing Liverpool and needed somebody in midfield, one of my favourite players at the time - Steed Malbranque had a 5.5mil release clause at Fulham. I got him and after about 3 or 4 years he was my captain. The biggest bid i rejected was around the 50mil mark from barcelona. He went on to captain France. he was a total legend:cool:, I've never developed a player to that extent since...:(

Shows how unrealistic FM can be. Greed Malbranque is a waste of space.

Best memory a 2 year all comps undefeated record with Meelan on FM05!!

I always signed him as well.

Supat Rungratsamee (Rugrats for short), Jussi Kujala, Mark Kerr, Cherno Samba, Hadzimehmedovic (spelling?) and a few others, youngsters who ALWAYS turned into great players for me.

Blimey - whatever happened to Cherno Samba and the lad from Derby - Tonton Makoula was it?

Tonton Zola Mokouko, the greatest player ever! Play him as an AMC behind 2 strikers and he was unstoppable!

There was a version, one of the last couple of CMs, where my mate and I pretty much always bought the same batch of Swedes/Scandinavians at the start: Jonas Lunden, Jonas Forsberg, some young guy called Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and of course the legend that was Kennedy Bakircioglu.

Back on the Amiga, buying Mark Collis and the guy from Trinidad (Ferris Orosco or summat) from Cambridge Utd who weren't real players but were both AMAZING. You could only buy them once Cambridge bought a couple of players because they didn't start with enough players in their squad.

Another Amiga days legend - Nil Lamptey. And having an amazing Aston Villa team with him and Dwight Yorke up front, complemented by always raiding Derby County for their 4 'stars' at the time - Tommy Johnson, Paul Kitson, Gary Charles, and Paul Warhurst...the goal scoring defender.

The fact that on the Amiga you could print out your results, so i did, and kept them for years...

Playing with a mate as Sheff Weds and Walsall - Desperate for a goalkeeper, I offer Giles De Bilde in exchange for Carl Emberson, as De Bilde was on mega money and wouldn't sign a new contract. My mate agrees to the deal. The game week ticks by, to our astonishment De Bilde agrees terms with Walsall, and Emberson agrees to come to Wednesday. We click the next screen.....

The Walsall board have vetoed the proposed signing of De Bilde as they don't think the deal represents value for money.

Oh how we laughed!

Tonton Zola Mokouko, the greatest player ever! Play him as an AMC behind 2 strikers and he was unstoppable!

There was a version, one of the last couple of CMs, where my mate and I pretty much always bought the same batch of Swedes/Scandinavians at the start: Jonas Lunden, Jonas Forsberg, some young guy called Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and of course the legend that was Kennedy Bakircioglu.

Back on the Amiga, buying Mark Collis and the guy from Trinidad (Ferris Orosco or summat) from Cambridge Utd who weren't real players but were both AMAZING. You could only buy them once Cambridge bought a couple of players because they didn't start with enough players in their squad.

Another Amiga days legend - Nil Lamptey. And having an amazing Aston Villa team with him and Dwight Yorke up front, complemented by always raiding Derby County for their 4 'stars' at the time - Tommy Johnson, Paul Kitson, Gary Charles, and Paul Warhurst...the goal scoring defender.

The fact that on the Amiga you could print out your results, so i did, and kept them for years...

Was Mark Collis not one of the CM developers, who supported Cambridge Utd?

I could NEVER sign Nil Lamptey, no matter how hard I tried.

Was Mark Collis not one of the CM developers, who supported Cambridge Utd?

I could NEVER sign Nil Lamptey, no matter how hard I tried.

Yeah I think they were both connected to the game in some way. Collis would always get snapped up by a big club as soon as it was possible and become an England legend.

A few random memories from me:

• Winston Bogarde getting banned for 6 months for something. It might have been headbutting the referee or something like that.
  • Isaac Nkubi. I am not sure if he was a regen a not but he was a fantastic striker for me. He was Swedish if I remember correctly.
  • My all conquering Inter Milan team with Ronaldo (the Brazilian), Lizarazu, Taribo West and loads of other top players in the game at the time.
  • I remember using a cheat tactic once as well to see how effective it was with Stevenage and I got them up to the Premiership from the Conference with consecutive promotions. That must have been on CM4 though or a version of around that time as I got it of these forums and didn't know about these forums before that. Infact one of the reasons I signed up here was to browse the tactical section and try out one of those tactics. :D

My main memory is losing. As Arsenal, I lost the home leg of the Champions League semifinals against Atletico Madrid 2-4. I was up 3-0 away, and ahead on aggregate 5-4 when Kolo Toure passed back to Jens Lehmann. Lehmann, for some reason, lets the ball pass him. I win the game 3-1 (5-5 aggregate) but lost on away goals. I sold Toure and Lehmann immediately.

Isaac Nkubi. I am not sure if he was a regen a not but he was a fantastic striker for me. He was Swedish if I remember correctly.

Yes he's Swedish, and I remember that back then there were a lot of good Swedish youngsters and - without pictures - it's hard to tell real players from regens, so I'm not sure whether to call Sweden yesterday's Belgium (sudden good dose of young real players) or old CM's Turkey (unbelievable number of good regens).

I remember beating Man Utd 8-0 after having Fabregas injured in the 6th minute with Arsenal on FM08, on the same save I beat Liverpool 5-0 with my cheap signing Tim Borowski scoring his only 5 goals for me in that match!

Archived