Wouldn't it be nice if you could hire a language trainer for foreign players.

In the 2015 season my my game, I signed Lionel Messi to Man Utd. All season I've been plagued with messages the player is unhappy because he doesn't fit in due to the lanaguage barrier. He can't speak English and I have no players who can help him, plus when suggesting that in the Press Conference they usually get unhappy about that anyway.

I remember a Football Management Game where when signing Foreign Players you could hire an interpreter or Language Coach to help them settle in and learn the language faster. Could this be something implemented into the 2011 Game?

I worked with David N'Gog as a translator when he first signed for Liverpool. He learnt extremely quickly and had daily lessons with an English speaker. I didn't work with him long, mainly to sort out private affairs away from the club.

A friend of mine also helped Aquilani when he joined though he could speak standard English. He didn't want to say anything wrong or have someone take it the wrong way.

You should be able to as it's important step in squad gelling and the player settling in.

This is a must. It is not realistic that a player needs a whole year to learn the basics. I mean, it is OK if the player has some problems the first 1 or 2 months, but not an entire season.

I remember a Football Management Game where when signing Foreign Players you could hire an interpreter or Language Coach to help them settle in and learn the language faster.

Fifa Manager!

I think this should be added to a future version of FM, it would especially help players that aren't settling well or learning.

This is one area where FIFA Manager got something right. In that game, you could add a language school to your club infrastructure. I do realize that FM doesn't focus much on infrastructure, but adding that building sure did help, and it was inexpensive.

Also in FIFA Manager, you had an option of hiring a language tutor for foreign players for some sort of fee. While the infrastructure thing from FIFAM is unnecessary and not that important, hiring a language tutor is something that would fit in well to Football Manager, probably wouldn't be hard to implement, and should help players learn the language of their home club easier.

Maybe it should be made an option costing a bit extra tacked onto the wage budget???

It's already amazing that future transfers now learn the new language in the months before they reach their new club. This system is seriously perfectly fine as it is.

If you really have issues with players learning the language, go manage in Spain.

It's already amazing that future transfers now learn the new language in the months before they reach their new club. This system is seriously perfectly fine as it is.

If you really have issues with players learning the language, go manage in Spain.

erm. really? I had this brazillian midfielder.. coming close to 2 seasons and still can't speak english. I have a brazillian ST, Coach and scout but still... he can't speak english

Maybe his adaptability and whatever stats control that are low.

It sure differs per player, anyway. Like everything!

Again, see Benzema - 1 year in Spain, coming from a very similar language, and still - no Spanish whatsoever picked up.

erm. really? I had this brazillian midfielder.. coming close to 2 seasons and still can't speak english. I have a brazillian ST, Coach and scout but still... he can't speak english

Me too...

And I'm hating that!

My Assistent Manager is Brazilian, yet all the Brazilian players I've bought struggled to settle down in the area,

Oh and the journalists keep asking me about "X doesn't speak Norwegian, do you think it'll be a problem?" when I sign a new Brazilian player.

How could that be a problem if the f'n Assistent Manager is Brazilian himself?! Even though they will never learn to say "good morning" or "it was a good game", the second most important staff member of the team is perfectly bilingual, so what's the issue?

So yes, we'd use a language coach or something...

Oh and the journalists keep asking me about "X doesn't speak Norwegian, do you think it'll be a problem?" when I sign a new Brazilian player.

How could that be a problem if the f'n Assistent Manager is Brazilian himself?! Even though they will never learn to say "good morning" or "it was a good game", the second most important staff member of the team is perfectly bilingual, so what's the issue?

I guess the issue is that he can't communicate with his teammates.

Probably a bit of an over-reaction but I think that players should at least be required to have a basic understanding of the language before any contract is signed.

Probably a bit of an over-reaction but I think that players should at least be required to have a basic understanding of the language before any contract is signed.

That would give serious problems here in Belgium :)

I remember my 05 or 06 save game where I started in the Russian second league (4 subs per match! hilarious jolly fun! plus the worst pitches ever seen!) and had Marcelo (now at Real) as my star player. Those were the days.

No :thdn:

Too much micro management. I just don't want to be bothered with that.

We may even assume this is already done and can be 'found' in the non-football expenses section on the finances screen.

No :thdn:

Too much micro management. I just don't want to be bothered with that.

We may even assume this is already done and can be 'found' in the non-football expenses section on the finances screen.

Quite agree with the last post.

Too much micro-management is bad for the game. Take it too far and we could end up with driving lessons for those who don't drive and other things.

Pity we can't add a contract clause when signing a non-English speaking player that states "a season to learn the lingo or your contract is terminated".

In real life when my dad came to Britain from Poland at the end of WW2, he had to learn English pretty quick to be able to work and live here. No namby pambying in them days.

Archived