Prolonging a player's career

So I have a favourite player of all time. Luis Coll. He's easily the greatest thing I've ever seen on FM. Literally half his stats must be 20 and he's well asserted as Man Utd's greatest player of all time.

But he's never won the World Cup. I coached his Spain this time (2026) as I really wanted him to get it and I was absolutely robbed in the final. Naturally my mind is now on 2030, but by then he will be 36 years old. As he is genuinely frightening for stats I'm hoping that he lasts until late into his 30s but is there anything I can do to help preserve him at his peak? ie play him more, less, ease training etc. As he is also at my club I feel I can play a part.

Can't really help playing him as he is still my best player and I wont lie, there's some favouritism anyway!

Look up SFraser's training thread in the Tactics and Training forum. There are things to consider when training older players, and they revolve around attempting to maintain physical stats against inevitable decline but focusing mostly on mental stats which are easier to increase with age.

I use the role-specific training schedules posted in that thread by Jenko EFC (with SFraser's U-17 training) and for your player you'd want to use the appropriate "Veteran" schedule.

When i had Raul at real madrid I tweaked his training schedule so that he was only doing heavy aerobic and strength training. And since your guy is full of 20's you shouldnt need to worry about his stats deteriorating too much. Raul didnt lose any pace, acceleration or any physical stats for at least two and a half seasons. I'd definately reccommend this

Does a lot of it depend on natural fitness. There's a striker who I had at Liverpool, a legendary newgen , who is now 34, and his stats haven't declined at all. His Natural Fitness is 16. He's played 638 games and scored 567 goals for Liverpool, and taking assists into account, has contributed over a goal a game for his Liverpool career. Shame I'm no longer his manager, but he's still a legend.

Also, he's been playing as a CM for the last season, whereas he used to be a AM/CF, playing mostly as a striker, which probably made it easier.

As a side note on a similar theme, Akinfeev is still my goalkeeper and about to break Giggs' record (it's 2026 remember). He has never had an injury in the 17 years I've had him. A true warrior

Are you serious :eek: That would make him 40!! He is my keeper and I already have his replacement lined up....I'm only in 2015 :o

Are you serious :eek: That would make him 40!! He is my keeper and I already have his replacement lined up....I'm only in 2015 :o

The man is a monster. Don't replacement until he starts wandering off in the middle of the night claiming Hitler came to him in a dream. Trust me.

Archived