Wellington Phoenix cant qualify for the AFC Champions League

Hi guys,

I'm currently managing Wellington Phoenix @ the A-League, and after winning the league the game tells me that I qualified to the AFC Champions League. However, on the next season I don't show up in that competition!

I tried to check what was wrong with the editor, but I cant seem to figure out wether this is a bug or just that the Phoenix arent allowed to play this particular competition. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

This :thup:

Actually they can play in the AFC, according to this.

I wonder whats wrong with my game then! Can anyone tell me when the first matches of the AFC CL are played? I'm still in December 2010, having been the champion for the 2009/2010 season.

I qualified in the 2011/12 season and the first matches I played were on the 13th March 2013. The whole league season apart from the grand finals series had been played. So in your game it should be a few months away yet.

I qualified in the 2011/12 season and the first matches I played were on the 13th March 2013. The whole league season apart from the grand finals series had been played. So in your game it should be a few months away yet.

I guess that should be it. I was just expecting a similar calendar to the UEFA CL, I guess. :D

Thanks a lot for your help.

I stand corrected. :thup:

No prob, I'm actually from Europe, but after watching NZ play in the World Cup I felt like managing there! :)

The ACL imediately following your completed season includes the teams from the previous years A League season. You will be in the year afters competition. This is how it is in the A League in real life.....Not sure why.

It might be short lived that they can compete though - Asian Federation looking to force them to count NZ players as overseas players.

Well the AFC did ban them from competing if they ever qualified but FIFA overturned it. Although there is a general feeling that the AFC may pushed to have them banned if they did qualify.

Hi guys,

Just checking back in with news from my game. Not only did I take part in the group phase of the AFC Champions League, but I also managed to qualify to the 2nd round, only to be eliminated by Hyunday from the J-League. :o

Thanks once again, :D

Archived