Tactic Works, Tactic Fails?

Hi Guys,

Have used a tacitic for an entire season which was VERY effective in the league, stormed the league by 19 points and scored over a hundred goals.

Next season I struggle to beat the weaker teams and i just cant understand it. ive not bought a ton of players, just a goalkeeper and a center back.

Any ideas? Ideally i would like to keep this tactic as it was that good before.

The AI teams adapt/learn your tactics, meaning you have to make small changes every so often. Annoying, I know :(

Not true. I'm in my fourth season with Athletic Bilbao and have been using pretty much the same tactic throughout. Every season I have done better, winning the Spanish Cup in 2011 and runner-up in La Liga in 2013. I'm having a down year now, but that's probably due to the young overall age of my squad.

The AI teams adapt/learn your tactics, meaning you have to make small changes every so often. Annoying, I know :(

This has to be one of the biggest FM myths around. I hardly ever change tactics and will go season upon season playing the exact same way with the same success I had before. Is there actually any proof that this is so, or is just something people have made up and believed it to be true when they start getting beaten?

Sort of but not in the way you mean.

@OP

Because you won the league the AI view you differently and play more defensive against you now.

Not true. I'm in my fourth season with Athletic Bilbao and have been using pretty much the same tactic throughout. Every season I have done better, winning the Spanish Cup in 2011 and runner-up in La Liga in 2013. I'm having a down year now, but that's probably due to the young overall age of my squad.

Most of the time, the AI will adapt to your tactics. Or at least play a little more defensively and play you on the counter, especially the smaller teams. You also say "pretty much" the same tactics, which seems to imply you do tweak them from time to time, which is how I tend to play the game. I'll have a 442 but if I'm struggling, I'll change the player roles a bit, and very occasionally switch formation to defend a slim lead or chase the game.

In my experience the only time you don't need to change your tactics at all is if you find a match-engine-busting flaw such as the "corner bug".

I'm guessing that the AI bases its tactics on reputation rather than league position. When your rep goes up, it will get more defensive and you'll have to be more aggressive to compensate.

Also, your players think they're invincible supermen and think they only have to turn up to win.

I like to change my tactics every season, otherwise I get bored.

I'm guessing that the AI bases its tactics on reputation rather than league position. When your rep goes up, it will get more defensive and you'll have to be more aggressive to compensate.

Also, your players think they're invincible supermen and think they only have to turn up to win.

This :thup:

I haven't changed my tactics much, just a little tweak every match to counter the team I'm playing against. The first season was a romp for my 'unknown' players and team, especially against bigger opponents who underestimated me. Second season was MUCH harder, even with better players because the bigger teams had taken notice that we weren't a diddy team anymore, and against smaller opponents because my team were workshy 'invincible supermen', as said above. Hasn't meant it I couldn't win the league or anything, it was just more of a struggle, and has been for multiple seasons thereafter.

Archived