Football Manager/Football Tycoon

Hi everyone, i love the fm games been playing them since i was about 12. thing is now i reckon i'd be interested in owning the club and running it that way i.e hiring/firing managers building new stadiums etc.

Someone told me to buy FIFA manager 2010 i did and its not that great and you own the club but you still are the manager aswell even though you can just get your assistant to do everything. thing is i dont like the game play and i love the game play of FM.

just wondering what my fellow fm fans thought?

The problem is always going to come back to how much you could actually do with such a mode.

You mention building new stadiums, hiring/firing managers which is all well and good but they are once in a blue moon occurrences (unless you're QPR with managers!) so what do you do the rest of the time?

The problem is always going to come back to how much you could actually do with such a mode.

You mention building new stadiums, hiring/firing managers which is all well and good but they are once in a blue moon occurrences (unless you're QPR with managers!) so what do you do the rest of the time?

Probably play golf and go to Stringfellows.

i don't see how it's fantastic. it's basically player lock mode and nothing else. anyways I think this years become a legend getting a huge update just like ML this year. can't wait :) but i'd still prefer the game where your, well, playing skill wouldn't make such a big impact just like in FM.

I played Rollercoaster Tycoon yesterday. It was ffffb.

Nothing wrong with these threads IMO. It's not an idea I'd be interested in, but hey, if there's plenty of these threads then there's clearly interest in it. If it doesn't appeal to you, then don't worry about it.

To be honest, the only reason I ever get the urge to play CM or FIFA Manager is because I sometimes want the option of doing something different other than tinckering with annoyingly touchy tactics that come with FM.

If FM gave me a chairman mode, it would mean I would ALWAYS every single season, by a copy of FM and never bother trying out other games just for the fun aspect.

Many hardcore fans take FM a little too seriously and almost treat the game as an entity that actually own and quite selfishly do not want any changes to the style of game to cater anyone else but their own needs.

I think its time that some fans stop taking the entire game idea of FM hostage and allow SI to also incorporate new modes (without altering the current state of the game) that will cater for the needs of a quite large market of people who are looking for a "fun" side to a manager game.

In my opinion there should be three modes to FM.

1. The current manager only version.

2. A chairman only version where as stated, you hire managers/sack managers, manage finances, stadiums, make press releases, help buy players, inject cash etc. Personally, this is a very very very oldschool component to manager games I really miss. Its somewhat of a nostalgic need of mine.

3. Include a chairman mode, where you are also the manager, and do not get sacked. (ie option 1 and 2 in one mode)

I would also love the stadium building part of the game which would add to the 3D side of the game in all modes be it building it as a chairman mode, or building real life stadiums through an editor (similar to old TCM days) and releasing community addons.

It would make everyone happy and I am quite sure there would be quite a huge boost to sales.

It would be nice if someone from SI would comment on one of these threads and give us a heads up if they would ever try to incorporate something like this.

SI have said in the past that they don't intend to incorporate anything other than management facets into the game (hence the name, Football Manager). Doesn't mean these threads are pointless though.

I do not want to take what you said out of context nor do I want to begin an argument about the name of the game, but the term "Manager" can be generic.

There are Managers in almost every aspect of business, be it an IT business or a sporting club.

A football chairman still "manages" certain facets of the game and it is still totally related to football. We do not need the game to be renamed to Football Manager AND chairman for there to be any hope of SI making any additional modes to the game.

I honestly doubt that the name of the game was chosen with knowledge that it will never have a mode other than a "Manager" and making tactics etc. Even with a chairman mode, Football Manager is still a brilliant name for the game.

It is a real pity however if SI is really limiting themselves to just one aspect of the game because in the long run, the only reason they would not do so is probably due to resources, money and basic lack of creativity. It may be a fun game, but it can be tedious and completely boring for the most part.

Addictive yes, fun.....not quite.

It has taken them a very very long time to include a basic 3D engine and the game's visuals and audio are still a long way behind the current technology other games use, and a huge amount of bugs still sit in this game that have been there for a very long time, while other issues like poor regens etc seem to never get tackled no matter how much SI try.

In part I can understand that it could be because of name that is the reason behind a lack of a new mode or direction but in reality, I believe the real reason is a lack of flexibility the game has because of its own design and programming faults/programmers lack in charisma/inventiveness.

You can clearly see this in the negative doom and gloom that surrounds the game.

:)

Slightly off topic but still part of adding things to the game. I would like the option to be a player/manager...I know we can kind of do it by creating yourself in the editor and i know if is much rarer these days to see them but having myself as a player so I can pick myself would be pretty cool i think. Doesnt detract from the game and could add more diverse reations in the team. Players may feel that you are picking yourself over other, perhaps better players becuase you can etc.

Also the son feature should be expanded so that players can have a go if you favour him over better players.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but would be a nice touch i think.

• SI Staff
It would be nice if someone from SI would comment on one of these threads and give us a heads up if they would ever try to incorporate something like this.

Obviously you never know what the future might hold. I never thought we would go down the 3D route for example but it's happened so you can never say never with regards to the future.

That being said, at the moment we're concentrating on the manager/coach (whatever you want to call it) role and if we were ever to extend the game to other roles I would expect that chairman or owner would be quite far down the list. It would be like a completely different game. I would personally be more interested in assistant manager / general manager type roles if we were going to change things but at the moment we've got more than enough ideas to keep us busy before we need to think about any of that stuff.

I think Chairman mode would be a novelty at first, but I can imagine people would get bored of it pretty quickly since the role would be quite limited, and we will end up with more threads complaining about it than praising it.

I would personally be more interested in assistant manager / general manager type roles if we were going to change things

This.

I'd love to be able to start off as a youth team manager for example, and work my way up, possibly being an assistant manager and then taking the reigns when the team manager leaves if they do.

Would make it more interesting, and in some cases realistic seeing as many managers start off with youth teams or start off as assistant managers before taking the step up to being the manager.

I really like the Chairman mode, to be honest, and if SI incorporates it within the game, it would be great! :thup:

But there must also be an option for the manager to decline the chairman role. For example, if he earns a lot of money and has the ability to buy a club, he can just ignore this option and continue to be a manager.

I think this would make both sets of Football Manager fans happy. It would most definitely reach out to a wider fan base.

:)

but at the moment we've got more than enough ideas to keep us busy before we need to think about any of that stuff.

Like say... Dynamic league rep? :D

At least an answer could be given about this even if it's just to kill all hope... fighting0025.gif

To be honest, I'd really like this feature as a sort of "next level" after a successful management career. Currently, when you're a manager you get paid a salary (which you can negotiate as well, strangely enough), yet that salary doesn't really mean much or have much purpose in the game world (other than perhaps as a pseudo-score). Now I know managers don't usually command huge, club-buying-magnitude salaries, but using this money you've earned throughout a career to purchase a club and then gain benefits such as a guaranteed management job, full control over finances, wage budgets, and adding the ability to get extra investment into a club. You could also play this as the chairman, picking and hiring managers much as you would players. Although I suspect that this would end up being pretty shallow, as I mean, there's only so much fun you can have hiring managers, if a deeper financial model for clubs such as managing shirt sponsors was added, it could also have some depth. If such a mode were ever added, it would probably play as a longer term strategy game sort of thing, as if you were "on holiday" most of the time, such that game time passes faster relative to time as a manager.

Just a thought.

Fifa Manager has this mode. You can create a club pretty much anywhere in the world and start from the regional divisions and try and get promoted to the Conference North/South and beyond. It's decent IMO but Fifa Manager on a whole is not as good as Football Manager.

I think Chairman mode would be a novelty at first, but I can imagine people would get bored of it pretty quickly since the role would be quite limited, and we will end up with more threads complaining about it than praising it.

why would it be limted there would be even more to do in it than being the manager.

Like what, exactly?

well you would set upthe match day as allways the only thing you would not do is pick the team,pick the countrys to be scouted.

but thr chairman role would involve

setting budgets

hiring/sacking the manager

neoghting contracts with new signing

telling the manager what you exspect from him

making sure the money side of the club is run good

having meetings with the manager to see if he wants a new player ecr.

well you would set upthe match day as allways the only thing you would not do is pick the team,pick the countrys to be scouted.

but thr chairman role would involve

setting budgets

hiring/sacking the manager

neoghting contracts with new signing

telling the manager what you exspect from him

making sure the money side of the club is run good

having meetings with the manager to see if he wants a new player ecr.

Setting budgets = once a season

hiring sacking the manager = depends on the club, but on average once every 18/24 months

negotiating contracts = just a few during transfer windows, same as you currently do

making sure the money side is run good = ?? How exactly do you do this?

meetings with the manager to see if he wants a new player = just once each transfer window perhaps.

None of the above will take any time at all, I will be bored out of my mind! They would have to incorporate Tiger Woods '11 so I can play golf every day to make it interesting as a chairman!

I'd rather have Director of Football in the game,so I can ask the manager what players he needs and then roam around the world watching matches and scouting for players and trying to sign them.And also if the manager is performing poorly,go chat with the chairman about it/

I'd rather have Director of Football in the game,so I can ask the manager what players he needs and then roam around the world watching matches and scouting for players and trying to sign them.And also if the manager is performing poorly,go chat with the chairman about it/

this idea is great to.

Archived