Has Anyone Scored Directly From FM08 Freecick?

My free kick takers scores 19 for FK with 14 long shots. Just keeps hitting the wall and deflected...every time every time.

I'm in 2011 and Ive scored three times after a freekick award but all have taken a deflection. I outplayed Leeds last night and got beat 1.0 with my late freekick hitting the wall (again) in the 88th minute. SI please fix for the sake of my wardrobe door!

You do see DFK goals although, perhaps, not as frequently as in FM07 - particularly when playing in the lower leagues. I have gone through 8 seasons (mostly lower league) on FM08 and scored about half a dozen while conceding twice that number. It is my perception that the wall deflects a lot and rarely to the benefit of the attacking team. The ball has a tendency to head for the top corner but deflect straight into the hands of the keeper.

I guess it's pretty easy to check. When the season's over, do a sum of the DFKs in team stats and compare with real-life results. Would be an interesting exercise.

I haven't scored too many....and it does seem that when my player scores, its generally because it deflects off another player.

Granted, I don't have a world class FK taker (Leeds United, 2 seasons in lol), but still seems somewhat odd.

It's about the same for the opposition, I conceed more (they are better FK takers).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

i've scored quite a few, but most were due to deflections, which i think needs to be toned down a bit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

I second that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

My GK has now scored about 60 goals.

I would guess that roughly 40 of them have been from direct free-kicks.

He scored a hat-trick of free-kicks in one game alone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does he have 20 in freekick ?

Can I see a screenshot ?

No. It's only either 5 or 6 for penalties and 7(ish) for free-kicks.

Have a look in the records threads for a pic of the free-kicks, (most free-kicks scored in a match), and in the challenge forum there is a thread called the Fat GK challenge. The most recent screenshot showing goals scored is in there.

There is probably a profile pic there too somewhere if that's what you meant.

Ive not scored a great deal, and to be honest I dont let too many in but they do happen every so often.

While I know we should recommend players in a different forum Id just like to say that if anyone is looking for a decent free-kick taker then you could do worse than David Jones of Derby... a snap for me & Newcastle at just shy of £3m, & now an established England international!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jibsa:

My free kick takers scores 19 for FK with 14 long shots. Just keeps hitting the wall and deflected...every time every time.

I'm in 2011 and Ive scored three times after a freekick award but all have taken a deflection. I outplayed Leeds last night and got beat 1.0 with my late freekick hitting the wall (again) in the 88th minute. SI please fix for the sake of my wardrobe door! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check some of his other attributes:

Technique

Decisions

Composure

Anticipation

It could also be related to his Morale, or to hidden attributes about his ability to handle pressure, big matches, consistency, etc.

You might also make sure you have a right-footed Free Kick taker taking from the left side .. and a left-footer taking from the right side.

... heck, if he's never scored for you, I'd just change free kick takers full stop - the reason hardly matters, as the next-best-option can't possibly do worse! icon_biggrin.gif

Hi

the thread starter here, I scored one last night he hit it well and looked to be direct and over the wall but on the replay its still takin a deflection from last man in wall.

Wonder if I can get Ronaldhino or even Roberto Carlos on a free into the League One!!

Tone down the wall fellas please most DFK even LL go around or over the wall and are not blocked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Does he ever get caught out of goal if he misses?

I've thought long and hard about what makes by GK a decent free-kick taker.

Free-kicks 7.

Penalties 4.

So nothing too impressive there icon_confused.gif.

Remember that this GK has now scored 60 goals in just over 7 seasons.

Looking at the stats that Amaroq listed....

Technique (hidden stat for a GK but viewable via training attribute history) 6.

Decisions 12.

Composure 4.

Anticipation 6.

So to be honest, I would suggest that there is something other that the attrivutes listed above which is having a big impact on free-kicks.

7, 4, 6, 12, 4, 6. They are my GK attributes for the relevant areas abd they are not exactly impressive.

What I will do now is just list some random good attributes that my GK has in the hope that it may shed some light on the matter.

Bravery 19. No.

Decisions 12. Possibly.

Handling 15. No.

Influence 12. No.

Kicking 12. Possibly.

Natural Fitness 16. No.

One On Ones 14. No.

Positioning 12. No.

Strength 12. No.

Now that is every attribute that he currently has above 11.

Decisions and kicking should make a bit of a difference but shouldn't be huge.

If it makes any difference, his personality is classed as "fairly loyal" so that doesn't shed much light on the matter.

To be honest I am at a bit of a loss to explein why this player can produce these results icon_confused.gif.

The one thing I have noticed which might be linked to this in a way is that while he is a decent(ish) penalty taker, he is shocking when it comes to taking penalties in shootouts.

This might be linked to his poor composure rating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james_33:

Does he ever get caught out of goal if he misses? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We didn't concede a goal for about the first 4(ish) seasons, but then went and conceded 2 in 3 games or somthing, and I suppose we have conceded about 4 or 5 goals now in just over 7 years as a result of him being outfield.

There have been many more opportunities for us to concede, but luckily the player in posession does not usually have the required quality to punish us when we lose posession and my GK is stranded. When I tried the same thing managing in Peru, (in the Jan challenge), I was immediately punished and we conceded 3 times I think as the calibre of player we were up against was that much better and they had the ability to hit the target from 60 yards out.

I think it's a good thing that this prt of the match engine seems to be pretty accurate and the chances of you conceded vary hugely depending on the quality of the opposition icon14.gif.

Interesting about his stats and ability regardless of hitting good FK.

My goal was scored not by my chosen free kick taker but a striker who took over when standing over the ball. His stats for technique free kicks long shots are all very low.

• 2 weeks later...

8.02 seems to have fixed it. Now I brick it when AI lining up free kicks (conceded 1 over the wall) and have scored two DFK from my 20 free kick taker, one in the final minute of a game.

Defintley was a bug which is happily now fixed.

Cheers.

I've never seen any Direct Free Kick clear the wall in my Man United game started on 8.01 and updated to 8.02. Not a single one. I've got Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, you'd expect at least 1 in a 100 to clear the wall, but no luck. I've never seen the opposition do it either, doesn't matter if it's Ronaldinho or Juninho. So the whole free kick stuff has been eliminated from my game. I can't score them, but I can't concede them either.

Archived