team talks..?

when doing team talks. i know morale and match odds play apart but also player personalities come into it.. on occasion's do you give the same players same team talks due to there personalities..?

I'm pretty sure it does. For example, if you have a player who thrives the big matches, I'd tell him I expect a performance. Or if you have a very young player with low morale you'd say there is no perssure. Just check the players personalities and see which team talk would best fit them. I wouldn't always trust your ass man.

when doing team talks. i know morale and match odds play apart but also player personalities come into it.. on occasion's do you give the same players same team talks due to there personalities..?

Yes, definitely. I once had a player who always got fired up by "disappointing," so that's what he got, even when he was playing well.

(Of course, I've never been entirely sure what "fired up" actually means in practice. "Trying hard but playing rubbish," I think.)

There are some excellent guides and tools out there on this topic (from Bubbatuna, Doc Sanders and Wolfsong in particular).

Depending on match odds, player personalities and current morale I give some players teamtalks that either increase or decrease the pressure on them.

Certain players (especially those with low determination and not so favourable personalities) often get a "no pressure" talk before the match, others with high determination and personalities like professional, spirited, etc. often get a "expect a performance from you" talk before the game.

At halftime it's a completely different story, here I look at the motivation from the split view screen. Those players looking motivated, having a good game or better get no halftime talk, those doing ok get a "you have faith", those playing nervously get a "no pressure", comlacent ones get a "I expect more from you" or "don't get complacent", bad performers are either substituted off or get a "disappointed" or "I want to see more from you".

This works pretty well for me, but it may not work for everybody.

There are some excellent guides and tools out there on this topic (from Bubbatuna, Doc Sanders and Wolfsong in particular).

Depending on match odds, player personalities and current morale I give some players teamtalks that either increase or decrease the pressure on them.

Certain players (especially those with low determination and not so favourable personalities) often get a "no pressure" talk before the match, others with high determination and personalities like professional, spirited, etc. often get a "expect a performance from you" talk before the game.

At halftime it's a completely different story, here I look at the motivation from the split view screen. Those players looking motivated, having a good game or better get no halftime talk, those doing ok get a "you have faith", those playing nervously get a "no pressure", comlacent ones get a "I expect more from you" or "don't get complacent", bad performers are either substituted off or get a "disappointed" or "I want to see more from you".

This works pretty well for me, but it may not work for everybody.

The half time bit is exactly what I do (as described in one of the guides) :) ... it just seems odd to me that there is absolutely no reason to use 'Pleased' or 'Delighted' talks for halftime. This will almost always make them complacent.

• 1 month later...

Team talks are pointless, I was 3-1 down to QPR at home, I'm Leicester. I said I was 'Thrilled' as I was annoyed. We came back to draw 3-3!

Also on the team talk feedback screen, there is never any response. Surely they wouldn't need a team talk to get fired up for a local derby?

The half time bit is exactly what I do (as described in one of the guides) :) ... it just seems odd to me that there is absolutely no reason to use 'Pleased' or 'Delighted' talks for halftime. This will almost always make them complacent.

If I'm 2-0 or more up against weak teams, or 1-0 against good to excellent teams, I use "pleased" all the time at H-T. Combined with "have faith" on goalscorers and 7.5+ performers and "disappointed" on any bad (6.5 or lower) ones, I've had no issues at all. Can't remamber the last time I've thrown away a 2 goal lead, and only one or twice had I've failed to win when 1-0 up. Now, I will admit that if I've had a great first half, the second is rarely quite as good (might only score 1 more for example), but I've never seen a truly bad performace after the break. I'd never use "delighted" though - stick to "pleased" with 4-5 "faith"s on the best performers even if we've been fantastic.

Actually, I don't really find the in-match motivation thing that useful. It seems to change so much for no apparent reason. Instead, I just look at the scoreline for the teamwide talk, and individual ratings, goals and morale for any individual one.

I got this method from one of the guides - wolfsong's I think - and it's served me well.

edit:

One other thing I've noticed is not to overdo the "Angry" type talks (ie the top ones). Used sparingly, they can be great, but bollocking the players everytime they aren't quite up to scratch seems to dilute the effect. In my current game, I've probably used it half a dozen times in 3.5 seasons, and in all but one of those games I've gone onto comfortable wins after being behind at the break, and the players and/or assman have said my words made the difference (the other we played much better after HT but just couldn't find a goal)

Team talks are pointless, I was 3-1 down to QPR at home, I'm Leicester. I said I was 'Thrilled' as I was annoyed. We came back to draw 3-3!

Also on the team talk feedback screen, there is never any response. Surely they wouldn't need a team talk to get fired up for a local derby?

They will if they don't understand the historical context of the local derby, which will apply to most players to varying degrees.

Very rarely.

For HT team talks I check the motivation to see if any polayer is nervous or complacent and single them out accordingly for special treatment.

Before a match I may then do something differently if I find a player to be complaycent or nervous often and continously, thus hardly ever. Otherwise I would do that only when giving a youngster his first shot and tell him that there is no pressure on him.

The only things i do with teamtalks, apart from putting my Ass.Man to do them, is to give players with rating 8.0-8.9 "pleased",

and players with rating 9.0-10.0 "delighted"

Subs that scores get a "pleased" as well.

Other than that i do nothing.

I leave the rest to the assistant.

When they play really bad, I get angry to the whole team in the half time.

It works most of the time though.

Last time, we were losing 2-0 to Chelsea. In half time, I said I expect a win nothing less! We won 2-3, and my captain told to press that it was my half time talk motivated them.

Archived