Manager retired mid-season?

So I was browsing around the English leagues in one of my saves. The year is now 2025 and I looked into Arsenal and checked the landmarks. I noticed that Mick McCarthy (!) was manager of Arsenal, taking charge in 2017. He did pretty well though and won a few PL and CL titles over the years. But the most interesting thing was that he signed a new 2-year contract in july 2023...only to retire in january 2024 while Arsenal was challenging for the title! 2 days later Gary Johnson was hired (possibly the assistant?) and they went on to win the league. Come july and he too retires! I am amazed by this as I have never before seen a manger retire mid-season only to be replaced by a man that would retire like 6-7 months later...and only a month or so before the new season starts!

Too add to all this the new manger was fired 8 months later! :D Shocking descision as well as they are 3rd now and still within reach of the title. Michael Laudrup is new man in charge. ;)

I'm surprised this still happens... it's been like that for ages, i'd thought they'd have changed it by now...

Basically, staff (or players) retire at the end of the season in their home nation - not the nation they're employed in at the time.

Although McCarthy was born in Barnsley, he's Irish in the game, because he's represented them internationally. As the irish league runs jan-december instead of july-june, he retires on the specific date on january that the new season begins in Ireland

Even more baffelling, I have seen the england manager retire on 30th June (when the english league seasons switch over), just days before he would have been leading the team out for the world cup final!

Not in my game... I had a Brazilian fitness coach, who stated he would retire in January... I was scouting for his replacement and even had one lined up, only to find out that hes extended his retirement till the end of the season... Sadly though, by that time, the replacement I had lined up, got a new job and wont come to my club :(

I am running the latest patch 10.3, maybe it was fixed in this patch...

Tbh, I think many of us can agree retirements need a good look at by SI, far too many strange retirements occuring

I remember reading alot of people having players retire mid-way through international tournaments, which quite simply should never happen

IMO, Players retirement date should be set to a week or so after the final fixture for the team they play for (aka, season finish and players going on holiday)

Staff retirement date should be set to the end of their employers season... or even the same as players

At the same-time, the game then needs to check to see if the player/staff is involved for their nation, if so, check if there is any international tournaments to take place after the retirement date, but before the following season, run a decision maker to see if the player wants to be apart of that tournament, if so, delay the retirement until the tournament completion

Just my thoughts

At least you had a manager who retired after six months...after winning the league and champions league double with Lyon i was offered the job at Valencia. I resigned from Lyon on May 23, they appointed a manager on May 26 who retired next month

Archived