*Official* Improvement Ideas For FMH 2007

Right guys, many of us have just got the game and this is the best time to find out what areas of the game aren't intuitive / could be improved.

One major gripe people are having seems to be the tactics element, i.e. not being able to design your own formations, create player run to functions etc.

My own ( minor ) gripe is to do with the interface, in any future versions, when, for example, selecting a new tactic to use you need to arrow left and scroll down to select to set this as your sides formation. Could SI make the arrow automatically go to the 'confirm' button? So annyoing having to scroll down all the time.

SI, be happy that my only complaint after a few hours play is that I have to press down whenever selecting my formation! Great first attempt, the in game system works very well, especially using the L shoulder button to scroll back though pages.

Right guys, many of us have just got the game and this is the best time to find out what areas of the game aren't intuitive / could be improved.

One major gripe people are having seems to be the tactics element, i.e. not being able to design your own formations, create player run to functions etc.

My own ( minor ) gripe is to do with the interface, in any future versions, when, for example, selecting a new tactic to use you need to arrow left and scroll down to select to set this as your sides formation. Could SI make the arrow automatically go to the 'confirm' button? So annyoing having to scroll down all the time.

SI, be happy that my only complaint after a few hours play is that I have to press down whenever selecting my formation! Great first attempt, the in game system works very well, especially using the L shoulder button to scroll back though pages.

• SI Staff

We'll definitely be doing further experiments based on feedback with the GUI.

PS> Are you aware that the analogue pad allows you to jump to the top/bottom of a list of buttons in one go incidentally - this speeds things up a lot.

Originally posted by Woodsey:

This is one thing that has been implemented quite well in CM2006 for PSP.

I'm sure the Sigames lads have a copy of CM2006 for PSP lying around somewhere (purely for research purposes of course!) so perhaps they can check it out.

A question I have is, realistically, what are the chances of a 2D match engine for the next release? CM has got one but it runs a bit too fast for me (even on the replays) and unfortunately resembles the very early Eidos/Sigames attempts - y'know, silly suff like the stiker breaks through on goal and then passes back - Doh!!

Since SI are after pick-up & playability in FM:H (which they have achieved!) I think an very good addition would be challenges. This is in a similar way to the comback/rout challenges you get in Fifa. Anyway let me explain:

A simple example of a challenge would be to say be Reading with X amount of games left in the season. Your challenge would be to secure promotion as a primary goal and secondary goal is to win the league out-right.

Another example on the opposite side would be to save a team from relegation, say West Brom from last season.

This means players have the opportunity to pick up a game and take on a challenge that won't take long to do. This is perfect if you really don't want to play your saved game or wait for everything to be set-up. Also for those talented managers among us, it provides an new challenge in that you're thrust into a team you don't know and haven't studied and to achieve the goals set won't be easy.

I don't know whether this is already in consideration but I think FM:H is the perfect vehicle for this type of gameplay.

maybe slightly more media (though i was impressed that some was put in)

shorter loading times (j/k)

ability to retrain people's positions

player pictures and alt. skins (just to make it a bit more dynamic

better transfer system (more options when buying and putting people up for sale, ability to bid more for a player than your transfer budget)

still a wicked game tho

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zamalek:

player pictures and alt. skins (just to make it a bit more dynamic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The alt skins I could go with as I think it would only require one-time access to the UMD but putting player pictures in would ramp up the amount the game would access the disc which intern would drive up the battery consumption of the game. One of the amazingly cool things about FM:H as it is, is that you can play the game for 8hrs or so and still have battery to spare (just icon_wink.gif)

1. pls include stadium size and attendance record

2. national competition

3. tactical design by user

overall, this is a good game, much better than cm psp, though the cm is much more details, but also have many bugs and poor match engine, you never understand what the match going on base on the commentary. I have sold it already.

I come from HK, I bought the game yesterday and only cost $HK350 (25.5 pounds)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woodsey:

Aaah... icon_smile.gif

Having had a PSP since Feb last year ( JAP import ) I've gradually grown to detest the analogue pad... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lord knows why. The D-Pad is an utter travesty that has a horrible time recognising diagonals. The analogue nub is ace, although not in the best of positions.

My dreamlist:

* More leagues

* Skinnable

* Updatable/editable (.edt for instance?)

* Tactics more like PC/Mac version

* MUSIC PLAYER icon_razz.gif

* Graphics/2d <- but may **** up the main selling point, the speed and battery times. I guess SI will find out in the end!

Good game!

• SI Staff

A music player (ie. MP3 player) is something I'd love to have in the next version, if there are any coders out there who know of a platform independant freeware MP3 library then please let me know ...

MP3s are a bad idea, you'll be using processing power to decode them when that could be better used improving the depth of the simulation (however in depth that may be, I've no clue).

The PSP has its own format that music can be encoded for, and the sound chip takes over. This was used in TOCA and GTA: LCS for custom tracks, instead of playing the MP3s which wouldn't have been technically possible in either title.

So try to see where that can go. The downside is that it takes an absolute age to encode the music files in the first place.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

MP3s are a bad idea, you'll be using processing power to decode them when that could be better used improving the depth of the simulation (however in depth that may be, I've no clue).

The PSP has its own format that music can be encoded for, and the sound chip takes over. This was used in TOCA and GTA: LCS for custom tracks, instead of playing the MP3s which wouldn't have been technically possible in either title.

So try to see where that can go. The downside is that it takes an absolute age to encode the music files in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(was trying to avoid turning this into a 'too' geeky conversation - but seeing as you have lead it in that direction icon_wink.gif )

What I'd like to do is setup a system so that the PSP decodes a MP3 into its native format - that would allow someone to stock the game with their own music on MP3 (which is the easiest to create) and then also not interrupt game processing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

So try to see where that can go. The downside is that it takes an absolute age to encode the music files in the first place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(was trying to avoid turning this into a 'too' geeky conversation - but seeing as you have lead it in that direction icon_wink.gif )

What I'd like to do is setup a system so that the PSP decodes a MP3 into its native format - that would allow someone to stock the game with their own music on MP3 (which is the easiest to create) and then also not interrupt game processing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So a kind of "on-the-fly" decoding then? However wouldn't that impact the battery life? Then again a game that you can play for 4-6hrs is just as good as one you can play for 6-8. Surely there's a coder in the house that could make one? Or maybe not icon_wink.gif

Getting back to features I'd like to see team-talks. There's been a few games where in the PC/Mac version I'd have the chance of turning things around with an inspirational team talk. This isn't there in FM:H and I miss it.

So if you could SI, it'd be nice to have this feature icon_smile.gif (P.S. I can provide bribs of Jaffa Cakes if required)

I would like to know why players are booked in commentry. Sometimes a foul has occured and the ref shows a yellow card but it does not say what for and sometimes does not state who the yellow card is shown to.

I still think there must be a way where can download tactics from PC to PSP using this http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/games/xbox/the_limitless_xbox_360_hard_disk

I know the 360 and PSP are different but in the future SI could have an option to load tactics beneath the other tactics and this is where you can download a tactic off the net or create your own and insert it in one of the empty slots provided.

Mostly I would like the commentry improved because it will say things like x player shoots but it wont say how the chance came about etc.

I would like to be able to edit the tournaments and change their names to their correct names.

I have only played 4 games so can't think of any other ideas untill I have played the game a bit more.

My gripe is depth. It seems to be very much pick a team and that's it. More media interaction etc will be good.

Having said that it's so addictive already I've given up my crack habit to replace it with this.

i think for next game, you should open avenues for patches and addons to be run off the ms. This could be player pictures laoding off ms and and a background mp3 player also running off stick, things like that. Then ppl could do custom designs and there could maybe be an editor. I dunno, i dont understand any of the technical stuff icon_razz.gif. I just like to say things and hope theyre viable.

@mark, gta lcs has a custom tracks mp3 player which works well playing mp3's off the stick. Maybe you could do something like that???

az

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

What I'd like to do is setup a system so that the PSP decodes a MP3 into its native format - that would allow someone to stock the game with their own music on MP3 (which is the easiest to create) and then also not interrupt game processing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd be good, but considering how slow Rockstar's utility was at decoding CD audio to the PSPs format (and CDA-MP3 decoding is quite quick anyway), I can't see it being viable.

Music whilst playing would be great for bus journeys though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by s33r:

... putting player pictures in would ramp up the amount the game would access the disc which intern would drive up the battery consumption of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CM 2006 does this using the memory stick. You download the pics and add them to one of the save file directories I think. (I haven't actually tried this yet though).

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That'd be good, but considering how slow Rockstar's utility was at decoding CD audio to the PSPs format (and CDA-MP3 decoding is quite quick anyway), I can't see it being viable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough - but I like a challenge and will definitely give it a 'go' first before conceeding defeat ...

FMH is an amazing game, infuriating when you use but still addictive enough to continue playing.

* Show finances, how much money you actually have, which you cant do.

* Show all information on the stadium

* Increase board options, like asking for things.

* Create a computer "mouse" with the analog stick and the L and R buttons

* Increase difficulty to sign players marginally (I signed Kenny Miller in my second season at East Stirling, SD3 still)

* Increaase database size

Thats all off the top of my head icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That'd be good, but considering how slow Rockstar's utility was at decoding CD audio to the PSPs format (and CDA-MP3 decoding is quite quick anyway), I can't see it being viable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough - but I like a challenge and will definitely give it a 'go' first before conceeding defeat ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

spot on marc, agree.

• SI Staff

- Moving text commentry to the center of the screen in the Overview match screen, so the user feels more involved and so the text is easier to read.

- Challenges, as s33r mentioned.

- Latest Scores on match screen

- More media involvement

- Data editor

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by presumingpete:

no dont move the text its been there since cm93 and it should stay there! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In CM the commentry text bar was always in the middle of the screen when viewing the Overview screen.

I think SI have done an excellent job overall and personally i dont want to see photos or 2D graphics in the game as it would probably slow the game down and add very little (keep these in the PC version only.

Media involvement is another thing i dont want to see added as i think its importance is over played in the PC version its so contrived it pointless, stick to football side of things.

I agree with others that the tactics need tinkering with. Seeing the latest scores would be useful.

The thing is its a PSP game and excellent one at that please dont turn it into the PC version (do you really want an exact pc version on your psp - whats the point in owning the game twice?), i enjoy the simplicity of Football Manager Handheld.

My finances, playing with a lower league club you need to check on finances because they make a loss so need to sell their top players at time to stop them building up a high debt. I dont know if I need to sell a player because I can't see my finances.

Would be nice for the board to say they are pleased or dissapointed with a result and this goes to the fans too.

I would like to see how big a club is in its informaton screen. I was thinking maybe we could have one number for potential and another number for current reputation and this would increase or decrease depending on how you was doing in the game.

This feature was in the early versions of Championship Manager.

Guest KieranF

Here goes:

1. Enquiries for players.

2. More news items.

3. Get rid of every transfer news update: I.e "Wenger has placed Hleb on the transfer list for £5million" next day he's listed for 7, does that everyday for me now.

4. The option to create your own formation.

5. Be able to declare interest in players.

6. This player "Arouca" keeps on declaring his desire to leave his club, EVERYDAY!:@

7. Llorente was signed for £8 million, has only played 3 games in my first season, the next season he's worth £32 mill?

That about covers the first bits. Overall I'd give the game 6/10. It's a good effort, don't get me wrong I'll enjoy it for a few days like. Just would've thought there'd be more to do on it.

Ok Kieran the enquiry part isnt that vital.

1.Good point

2.Care to elaborate

3.Can be annoying but hey its not that bad

4.There are already enough formations,the only one i dont like is the 4-5-1.As it has a arrow on the central midfielder usually occupied by Makelele in the Chelsea squad.

5.Well once you actualy look at a player it says your interested.

6.If its your own team memeber then give him one game,keep him happyicon_biggrin.gif.

7.This is a little excessive but if he has been on good form his value will rise(admittely a little too much).

On the managers screen how do you scroll down to see how safe other managers jobs are? I can view the first 10 but I don't know how to view the rest.

I would like to see how good my reputation is along other managers and would like to see how good my teams reputation was start of the season and end of the season

Custom formations are a necessity, I feel.

Get a man sent off - what do you do? It can be frustrating finding a suitable arrangement. If the game does it automatically (i.e. players cover appropriately) then it's ok, but having proper control is always preferable.

It's also good if you want to play a formation that isn't symmetrical, or one that isn't common.

The first thing I would want added is multiplayer. Either the option to play 2 teams at once on one psp or a througha wireless link. Other than that I would say the team talks from FM2006 as when I am 2-0 down to some crappy club in the cup and every player seems to be having an off day I feel I can do something about it when there are team talks.

Archived