No Formation Tweaking?

According to the OPSM review, you don't get to tweak formations. No more forcing the DM to run to join the strikers or asking your right winger to moonlight as a sweeper when you lose the ball. If you're weird, really.

Is this true? And if so, why has such a fundamental part of the tactical portion of the game been dropped for this release?

According to the OPSM review, you don't get to tweak formations. No more forcing the DM to run to join the strikers or asking your right winger to moonlight as a sweeper when you lose the ball. If you're weird, really.

Is this true? And if so, why has such a fundamental part of the tactical portion of the game been dropped for this release?

• SI Staff

You can give your players the standard (ie. similar to PC) tactical instructions to affect how they play, you can't however drag them around the pitch - reason being simply we couldn't find an intuitive way to do this using the controls which we were happy with (simply put we wanted this game to be as easy to pick up and play as humanly possible).

Its something we'll keep looking into and it might appear in a future version, until then you've a myriad of pre-defined formations to choose from anyway.

Hmm...I would have thought that simply selecting a player on the pitch map with 1 button to enable change in position with the d-pad or second button to enable changes to their runs, again adjusted with the d-pad, would have been quite intuitive?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

You can give your players the standard (ie. similar to PC) tactical instructions to affect how they play, you can't however drag them around the pitch - reason being simply we couldn't find an intuitive way to do this using the controls which we were happy with (simply put we wanted this game to be as easy to pick up and play as humanly possible).

Its something we'll keep looking into and it might appear in a future version, until then you've a myriad of pre-defined formations to choose from anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc I was lucky enought to receive promo copies of both the PSP and Xbox 360 versions yesterday and I have to say I'm very impressed with both. On the subject of allocating player runs I can honestly say it's not a big issue at all.

Currently when you're on the tactics screen and you press the right directional button to hightlight a player name the only function available is to swap players about with the X button. How about in a future version to make it as you press the square button to bring up a directional wheel where you can choose from 8 directions (moving the highlighting cursor around with the analogue stick) to set a player run. You could also have a pass to function in a similar manner but pressing the circle button to bring up a directional wheel.

To those thinking of this as a potential problem I would just ignore it because it's not that big an issue (as is not being able to do part exchange transfers). As I say both console versions are great and I'm currently having to struggle with myself about which version to play. The processing speed of the PSP version is impressive and it's very easy to whiz through a season in no time. SI have done a great job.

I certainly am Neil. FM fans will love both versions. FM Handheld really does feel like a FM/CM3 mix and I think it gets the complexity level just right. I can take ages thinking over tactics on the PC version of FM2006 but that's not what you want to do when you're on the move. There's plenty of depth here for sure but the game has a fast flow to it that allows you to play for 10 minutes and get a few matches in which is how it should be. I haven't even missed the 2D match view to be honest.

Getting it was never an issue, of course, but it does upset me slightly. Still, I'll see how much it affects me. Considering my CM01/02 tactical "tweaking" consisted of creating my tactic and leaving it for the remainder of my career, it may well not affect me at all.

I suppose a lot of it is covered with "forward runs", so telling my left winger to make forward runs means he ought to charge down that wing like some sort of footballing cheetah, and I expect there's some way to emphasise defensive duties on a single player?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Inov Dabar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

Its something we'll keep looking into and it might appear in a future version, until then you've a myriad of pre-defined formations to choose from anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc I was lucky enought to receive promo copies of both the PSP and Xbox 360 versions yesterday and I have to say I'm very impressed with both. On the subject of allocating player runs I can honestly say it's not a big issue at all.

Currently when you're on the tactics screen and you press the right directional button to hightlight a player name the only function available is to swap players about with the X button. How about in a future version to make it as you press the square button to bring up a directional wheel where you can choose from 8 directions (moving the highlighting cursor around with the analogue stick) to set a player run. You could also have a pass to function in a similar manner but pressing the circle button to bring up a directional wheel.

To those thinking of this as a potential problem I would just ignore it because it's not that big an issue (as is not being able to do part exchange transfers). As I say both console versions are great and I'm currently having to struggle with myself about which version to play. The processing speed of the PSP version is impressive and it's very easy to whiz through a season in no time. SI have done a great job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the pitch is a grid with players on the grid then allocating a second grid to run to should be a straight forward method?

I have no problem with this because i rarely tweak my tactics unless i have to. Say your playing a flat back 4 and you're centre back gets sent off. I would have to tweak to make my defensive unit into a flat back 3 (centre backs)

Archived