Re-Training/Positioning!

Sorry if this idea has been done before!

I was wondering if anyone has had great success in retraining players ?

I know it can be done easy enough but i'd be curious to know if anyone has made a '' Henry '' out of a skinny teenage winger and so on.

I am currently trying to Make Bougherra and Whittaker midfielders. With their stats it should be a smooth transition with both storming the pre-season friendlies so far!

Has anyone worked their magic?

Ps, one of the reasons i have done my team this way is because i have no transfer budget and i intend to bully my way to the title by bringing in a 6ft rule. with the exception of Davis who is just superb!

Anyways back on topic! yea, i'd love to hear peoples success!:cool::thup:

Re-training.jpg

I've occasionaly retrained some newgens, although that was when they were quite young. As an example, I found this weird LB with good dribbling and passing, while not too good on the defense. I retrained him to a AMC in a season or so, and he were a beast. My top player for several seasons.

Retraining older players would however take some more time, but if they got the skills, why not go for it? :cool:

I have done this with some success, managed to get a D DM M LC playing right wing, he was 6' 4 and decent on the ball, he got me quite alot of goals, currently trying it with wingers at my current club.

I also trained a centre mid up to play left back to some success

It can be done, however the most annoying thing about it is that you have to keep re-training the player in that new position forever otherwise they lose the new position a lot quicker than they learn it. I have an AMC newgen who has attributes more suitable to be a winger, I've been re-training him for the AMR position for 2 years now (started when he was 17 now he is almost 20), after 2 years he finally became natural in AMR. So I stopped re-training him. Although I kept playing him in the AMR position he quickly lost some of his ability to play there. Within only a month he went back to 'accomplished' in AMR.

For the time being this is absolutely the most annoying thing in FM imo. Re-training a player in a new position already comes with a cost: you devote some of his training to that, and when he gaines the ability to play in that position his attributes take a hit bc being able to play in an additional position consumes some of his CA, which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that the player starts forgetting the new position as soon as you stop re-training him, even though you use him in that position in matches.

WHY???? Why punish him twice?

Roughly speaking... how much effectiveness does a player lose by being simply "accomplished" instead of a "natural"?

Also, does keeping him eternally in re-training means he'll always lose those 10% in training, or does it simply works as "maintenance"?

Roughly speaking... how much effectiveness does a player lose by being simply "accomplished" instead of a "natural"?

Also, does keeping him eternally in re-training means he'll always lose those 10% in training, or does it simply works as "maintenance"?

As far as I know those questions have never been answered by SI before, so there is a lot of mistery remaining about this issue.

I can only tell from my own experiences. The star newgen I mentioned above played his few best games for me in that time period when he had 'natural' status on AMR position. Might be coincidence, of course. However, I have a great player who I play as AML, and he is only 'accomplished' in AML position. In two seasons I never saw him taking over a game. Another winger I have is more or less same quality as this guy, but he is natural on AMR position and he is performing great whenever I use him in AMR position.

So, in my experience it makes a big difference.

Personally I will never bother using this feature any more until SI fixes it. Right now it is a waste of time and player's CA points.
It doesn't use up CA, it changes the CA cost of different attributes.

OP: on FM09, I retrained Ioannou Smarandache, a Romanian regen DM, to SW, and turned him into a Beckenbauer-type playmaker. Whenever I get a little bored with a game, I often try and use the positions that I normally ignore - but this was the first time I managed to get the Libero working properly.

He was a beast - a ton of assists, a ton of key tackles, and though his long shots weren't spectacular, he had great technique, so when crosses were pulled back from the edge of the area, he used to slot home 10 or so a season from the edge of the area.

He was +18 in positioning, anticipation, tackling, creativity, dribbling and flair, so he was the perfect choice.

On FM10, I haven't tried much. I'm retraining a lightning-fast CM wonderkid of mine to play AML, which is looking promising so far, but I'm only a couple of games into the experiment. He's got a "fairly good" left foot, good dribbling, 19 pace, and great passing and creativity, so I think he'll be perfect for the Messi-type role on my left flank.

I'm retraining a 16yo ML to LB because i don't use natural wide players. To be honest, he's also not bad defensively.

I was thinking of retraining my 'DC DM MC AMC' as an ST, because he has all the attributes to make a good forward and really isn't defensive at all.

It doesn't use up CA, it changes the CA cost of different attributes.

Yes, which results in an instant decrease in a lot of the attributes. In other words, the same amount of CA points will be distributed into / shared by more attributes, hence the decrease in attribute points. That's what I was trying to say.

Well

My compuiter crashed and i lost my stuff.

Whittaker was storming the league with 14 goals. he even scored a hattrick inside 27 minutes. not to mention the assists! the man of the match awards and just general alround good play. Him on the right with Naismith on the left simply tore the spl a new hole.

Bougherra standing side by side with McCullock also chipped in with the odd goal and bossed the midfield.

But i'll have to load the entire thing up again and scuff around for the 10.3 patch! :rolleyes:

Archived