Aggression vs Bravery

I've read that if a player has low Bravery, he can be "scared" by hard tacking. However, I was wondering... would a player with high Aggression be more effective?

If so, would this mean that even a DC with, say, 15 Bravery can be affected by an opponent with 18 Aggression? And, if so, would this mean that you don't really need to use hard tacking (just medium would do, given the superior aggression)?

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks.

Good question. It would be good if anyone could clear up the distinction between Bravery/Aggression/Determination/Work Rate, as while the are obvious differences between them, I think they blur into each other as well. From the manual :

"A more aggressive player will look to involve himself in every incident and get stuck in"

Surely a high work rate would do this as well...?

Do low Bravery/high Aggression player get "stuck in" or not?

How about if they have a low Determination, surely that would affect their willingness the get "stuck in"?

work rate - how much player is ready to work without ball: pressure opponents, close down again and again. If player has low work rate, he most likely wouldn't close down opponents even if you order him to.

determination - well, that's easy. high determination = wants to win more, especially when goal down. Most likely to react well to "want to see more from you" team talk. Won't lose confidence after mistake etc.

aggression - basically shows how hard player tackles by default, aggresive player tackle hard by nature, therefore pick up a lot of yellow cards

bravery - readyness to get into tackles (when GK, willingness to save ball at feet etc.) . there's a small difference between bravery and aggression. Lets describe it as this: bravery determines how likely player is ready to go for the ball (tackle, header, save at feet etc.). Aggression determines how aggressively (hard tackle, foul) he does it AFTER he's brave enough to do it in the first place.

Aggression only gives you nothing if player is coward and stays away of all tackles.

But I think that those two attributes are somehowl linked, so that most likely you have bot of them reasonably high or both of them low, similar to team work/ work rate, where I think that work rate contributes some points to team work attribute.

aggression - basically shows how hard player tackles by default, aggresive player tackle hard by nature, therefore pick up a lot of yellow cards

This, right here, is the reason why I think players with high Aggression don't need to be instructed to tackle "Hard". An average setting probably works just as well.

The thing is, if a player is both highly aggressive AND is instructed to do his worse... wouldn't that mess with the heads of even some of the bravest players???

But I think that those two attributes are somehowl linked, so that most likely you have bot of them reasonably high or both of them low, similar to team work/ work rate, where I think that work rate contributes some points to team work attribute.

I'm not totally convinced here... I just did a quick search, filtering players with "Aggression at least 15" and "Bravery at most 5", and I found plenty of players. The opposite seems to be less common (high Bravery with low Aggression) but that's just in my current game, where I have a very small scouting range at the moment. In both cases, Work Rate seemed to be all over the place, with no discerning pattern linked to the other two.

Aggression: How "aggressively" the player goes for the ball. So players like Mascherano, Materazzi and Cana would be aggressive players, willing to go in for the ball without caring about what happens to the poor guy on the other end of the tackle. Generally not a poor attribute except if the player is a poor tackler or maybe has a lack of pace so these stupid tackles are late. Likewise low Aggression isn't a bad thing although I would prefer a bit of aggression even if they're poor tacklers - you don't get booked for everything.

Bravery: How they react to tackles and fouls. Players like Vidić and Terry are brave because they put their bodies on the line for the team. If you hard tackle Vidić or Terry you can expect them not to flinch or affect their game unless you injure them. On the other hand if you hard tackle players like Babel (who is a coward, amongst other things), you can expect him to retreat to his shell rather quickly.

This is why it's recommended to hard tackle less brave players as it can quickly render them useless - although do balance it out because although they will shy away they may still win free-kicks which could defeat the very purpose of hard tackling in the first place. When signing less brave players be aware that they will have "kick me" signs on them. And also note that fouling a player doesn't always work - if they're playing well, persistent fouling will not really have much of an effect.

if you have a player who has high ability aggression and strength he is a good marker especially when using tight marking. also if their strikers has low bravery he will fear from your defenders and will not perform well.

• 1 year later...

To be honest, the distinction SEEMS obvious to me between all these things, but I agree with the OP that this could do with some clarification as to what actually happens in the game. To try and find out for ourselves would be nearly impossible for certain.

Archived