Persuade me to play again

Hi,

I used to play CM all the time from the very first release all the way up to the 2006 release, I stayed loyal to CM through the troubled times and picked up FM after the name change.

But...

Release 2007 came out and I played the demo and saw nothing radically different from 2006. Now 2008 is out I still see the same game as CM4.

Okay people will shout now and tell me 2008 is a totally different game, new game engine, better media interaction etc...but bar a few new bells and whistles it's still the same game.

So I have some spare time on my hands in an evening and I know that if I start playing again, the chances are I'll see the sunrise while trying to win the league.

So, what 5 things about the 2008 release make the game worth buying and playing again?

Regards

Dave

Hi,

I used to play CM all the time from the very first release all the way up to the 2006 release, I stayed loyal to CM through the troubled times and picked up FM after the name change.

But...

Release 2007 came out and I played the demo and saw nothing radically different from 2006. Now 2008 is out I still see the same game as CM4.

Okay people will shout now and tell me 2008 is a totally different game, new game engine, better media interaction etc...but bar a few new bells and whistles it's still the same game.

So I have some spare time on my hands in an evening and I know that if I start playing again, the chances are I'll see the sunrise while trying to win the league.

So, what 5 things about the 2008 release make the game worth buying and playing again?

Regards

Dave

8.0.2 - wait until march to but the game - then it might be finished.

It may LOOK the same as CM4, but it plays a lot better when it works.

Given that i've stopped playing due to being disgusted at a number of poorly finshed/poorly balanced features, i'm probably the wrong person to talk you into coming back :S

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Khamelion:

Hi,

But...

Regards

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

5 things (by the way, I'm not very good at picking up on the best things, so these may not be the best five, but they are five that sold it to me):

- Coach Reports - You can now clearly see who your assistant manager thinks are the best and worst players at the club, and, more importantly, what ranking they're given (e.g. 3rd best central defender). Brilliant addition in my opinion

- Facegen - Makes long term games a lot more interesting, now that you can put faces to the players you're using. It gives them a bit more personality than the black face outline

- International Management - Increased options everywhere. Although I haven't tried it, I suspect that it could actually be interesting to be purely a national manager, given the options of attending matches and watching your players develop.

- Scouts less accurate - So, when you buy a player, and it says that they will not improve beyond their current level, you don't have to believe it, as it could easily be inaccurate. This all improves the fun of playing long term games, as a player you buy, or who you have in your youth team, could turn out to be much, much better than they are predicted to be. (This is post-patch)

- Custom Notes - The ablility to write your own notes in the notebook remove the need for pieces of paper scattered around your desk, and, if you're creative, there's no limit to what you can do with such a simple addition. I've kept a manager story going ever since the start of my career game, so I have on record what I, as the manager, would have said. Makes it a whole lot more realistic.

So, there's five reasons. I agree with you that it is the same game, but it's a leaner, more efficient version of the same game. And you can always leave it and come back to it if you want to. I personally thoroughly enjoy 08, and, although it's apparently 'littered' with bugs, if I didn't come on these forums, I probably wouldn't have noticed most of them.

how different exactly do you want a game of football to be? of course it's going to be basically teh same game.

there are some nice graphical bells and whistles, some nice extras and the match engine has been improved, but if you want major extras like setting the price of admission or having the option to 'send on a streaker to ruin oppo concentration' then it's not going to happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Khamelion:

Hi,

I used to play CM all the time from the very first release </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You and everyone else who moans about the "latest" one.

Here are my 5 reasons:

1. You like management games

2. Whether you like it or not, FM is the best one

3. If you stop thinking of it as an extension of your own reality, and start thinking of it as a video game (which it is, by the way), it's actually very enjoyable and a great game.

4. It has a few new features that are worth seeing, just being the latest one

5. Seriously, what else would you be doing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

why do you need some random strangers on an internet forum to persuade you to play the game? just have a look at the demo and judge it yourself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did look at the demo, played it for a bit, okay maybe not long enough, which is partly why I was after the input of some random strangers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nine_iron:

Breasts always encourage me to participate. I hope that isnt a little too adult humour for this site! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are the breasts in FM? I suppose, from above, the Everton central midfield looks a little that way when Gravesen and Carsley play together.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

how different exactly do you want a game of football to be? of course it's going to be basically teh same game.

there are some nice graphical bells and whistles, some nice extras and the match engine has been improved, but if you want major extras like setting the price of admission or having the option to 'send on a streaker to ruin oppo concentration' then it's not going to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not at all, having daft things in like streakers or setting the price of the pies and cup of bovril, would be pointless, after all CM/FM has always been about managing a squad of players, not the day to day admin of running a football club.

I also was not insinuating that the game should be different, but I asked the question about the 5 best things in 2008 as I wanted other players opinions about how 2008 differs from other versions.

Yes I can go play the demo, and I did, but like I wrote in the other post above, perhaps I didn't play it long enough.

Maybe my original post title was wrong, perhaps I should have titled it What's good and bad about FM2008?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nine_iron:

Breasts always encourage me to participate. I hope that isnt a little too adult humour for this site! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are plenty of T*ts in the premiership, just look at Titus Bramble!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

Hi,

I used to play CM all the time from the very first release </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You and everyone else who moans about the "latest" one.

Here are my 5 reasons:

1. You like management games

2. Whether you like it or not, FM is the best one

3. If you stop thinking of it as an extension of your own reality, and start thinking of it as a video game (which it is, by the way), it's actually very enjoyable and a great game.

4. It has a few new features that are worth seeing, just being the latest one

5. Seriously, what else would you be doing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In reply:-

1. Yes, CM/FM did, and it might again cause me a lot of late nights.

2. It is certainly the market leader.

3. One thing I've never done with any PC game is actually think it's real life, a game is just a game.

4. The reason for asking peoples 5 of the best question.

5. Playing the Saxophone, working very late, reading.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. If you stop thinking of it as an extension of your own reality, and start thinking of it as a video game (which it is, by the way), it's actually very enjoyable and a great game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a very good point. However, I tend to find myself looking for an extremely realistic experience from FM. Thing is, though, I feel that that is exactly what I get from it. By and large, each iteration seems to become more and more realistic. I make no apology for being the kind of player that wants to real feel immersed in the whole experience as if it was real. Don't get me wrong, I know where to draw the line. I don't bite the cat when I lose. I don't lie awake (much) worrying about it. But I do like it to feel as realistic as possible. I feel, though, that SI achieve this. If anything, it's the thing I like most about FM. It's become so damn realistic! That is why I would never even consider switching to any of it's so-called competitors.

1. You have no life.

2. You're television is broken, and you can't afford to have it repaired.

3. In your heart, you know that H. J. Caruso is innocent.

4. There are no pianos in Japan.

5. Peach Melba ice cream never tastes as good as you think it's going to.

In doing some tidying up today I found all my old CM boxes, CM4, 97/98, 98/99 anll the way up to 2006, never bought 2007, but I give in today and went out and bought 2008, still have to install it, but I'm back in the saddle ready for all the highs and lows once again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

1. You have no life.

2. You're television is broken, and you can't afford to have it repaired.

3. In your heart, you know that H. J. Caruso is innocent.

4. There are no pianos in Japan.

5. Peach Melba ice cream never tastes as good as you think it's going to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right, you know icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

It's amazing how many people can't think for themselves. ...Or are too lazy to even try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's amazing how many times, you ask a simple civilized question, and sure enough you get the one person who feels the need to reply with nothing constructive.

If you had actually read and digested what I wrote, you would have taken in that I did play the demo and admitted that perhaps I hadn't given it a long enough chance.

That aside, I also said that I may have titled my post wrongly, perhaps I should have entitled it "What's good and bad about FM2008?"

Hence asking the simple question I asked.

Maybe the question was a little to difficult for you, after all how can you count to 5 without any thumbs????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you had actually read and digested what I wrote </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, no worries... I read the post. In fact, I had to go back and read it a few more times to make sure I was actually seeing someone ask for other people to think for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">after all how can you count to 5 without any thumbs???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use my remaining eight fingers. icon14.gif

Khamelion

When you're set up and patched, head on over to the tactics and training forum.

There's some super topics at the moment which should help everyone get to grips with some of the more demanding sides of the game.

Too many people are losing faith in FM08 because they struggle with the tactics and sliders. The posts in the tactics forums are making things easier to get to grips with I believe and thnings are explained in more detail. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Stinson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you had actually read and digested what I wrote </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, no worries... I read the post. In fact, I had to go back and read it a few more times to make sure I was actually seeing someone ask for other people to think for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">after all how can you count to 5 without any thumbs???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use my remaining eight fingers. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell why have a dog and bark yourself???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

Khamelion

When you're set up and patched, head on over to the tactics and training forum.

There's some super topics at the moment which should help everyone get to grips with some of the more demanding sides of the game.

Too many people are losing faith in FM08 because they struggle with the tactics and sliders. The posts in the tactics forums are making things easier to get to grips with I believe and thnings are explained in more detail. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah good advice thanks.

One of the things I did enjoy in past version of the game was creating new tactics. In the distant past I even hosted a website where mine and many other peoples tactics were presented. Should I back into the game in a big way I may pop open another website, but I wouldn;t hold your breath on that one.

Archived