Does being "ineffectual" hinder a players ability to play than position?

Sounds like a silly question but stay with me.

Just been reading a thread about regens who are not competent in positions which are similar to their natural positions.

Got me thinking - if a natural CB and CM player is playied in the DMC position and he is "red" on the position screen, will heplay badly?

Or will his attributes - which for the sake of argument, are ideal for a defensive midfielder, allow him the play a good game.

I suppose what I am saying is should the players position be purely determined by his attributes.

This would obviously be easier with world class players who have attributes near the top end - not sure how this would be implemented in much lesser players who have 1s and 2s.

The consensus is that players played out of position make poorer decisions, take up poorer positions etc

Fair enough if you play you keeper up front but if you have an attack minded full back with good pace, crossing, passing etc, surely he should be at least competent on the wing.

I think that it only affects mental attributes. Tackling and finishing should stay the same wherever you are on the pitch. I think it only affects things like decisions, positioning, etc that are mental attributes.

This is only a guess by the way.

I think that it only affects mental attributes. Tackling and finishing should stay the same wherever you are on the pitch. I think it only affects things like decisions, positioning, etc that are mental attributes.

This is only a guess by the way.

That would make sense I suppose - if it is correct it would be good to get an idea by how much the attributes are reduced.

A lot can be deduced from basic real life thinking.

If Evra was asked to play left wing by Ferguson, or Cole by Ancelotti, or whatever, he'd be able to perform to some extent but would be less able in others. He probably wouldn't suffer technically, though some weaknesses of his play may be exposed (I remember Roberto Carlos was found to be a poor dribbler when used on the wing). This would seem like a mental attribute decrease, but I doubt mental attributes are simply decreased across the board by x points.

Archived