Do you choose a player on his stats ingame or hidden CA ?

I completely ignore CA, I only use it to see how much a young players raw ability has improved with my training.

It is easly possible that a player who looks worse in general can outplay a better player.

A great example is with my Backwell United team down in Level 11.

I have 2 players who can play as a ball winning midfielder for me, one has a CA of 8 and, for the league, very good technical and physical attributes.

The second guy has a CA of 1, all of his technical attributes are 1 except for passing which is 2, and his physical stats are average at best. However, he has 20 determination and 14 team work.

They have both played roughly the same number of games and the guy with a CA of 1 has a far better average rating and have covered on average 2km more per match than the other guy. So despite being a huge amount worse, his determination and team work more than make up for it and because of the huge amount of effort he puts in, he does far better than the good but lazy player.

I have two seperate ways of looking at players, for young potential I look at mental and physical stats, and look at the scout report (never under 2 1/2 stars never less than 1 1/2 star difference between CA/PA). For more established players I tend to look at the attributes I think a player needs in his position, and his form over the last 20 games (if possible).

This question seems to be asked almost every day, and my answer is always the same:

In FM08 I used a scout to see player's CA and it ruined my enjoyment, because there's no skill in interpreting one number, I've never used one since.

CA is just a number, it gives you no indication how that specific player will play a specific role at your club.

There are so many barometers the game wants you to see, such as ratings, attributes, match stats and scout reports, why would you want another, which is the most simplistic of them all?

Always in-game stats for me!

Archived