Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Manchester City Sign-Up

The Manchester City board have decided to strike a deal with Swiss scientists. They have just bought 22 genetically engineered 16 year olds from them. These 16 year olds have been touted as possibly the next generation of football, and the next generation of science. Will they become successes? Will they flop? Will Man. City keep onto them if they become superstars?

The sign-up sheet

Name:

Nationality:

Second Nationality (if desired):

D.O.B:

Position(max 2):

Each player will be set a CA of 100 and a PA of 200

Your opinions are welcome - whether this sign-up is going to fail or no, what can be added.

And I was also thinking (if we get this going) that I would do the updates like ~Ian~ did with his 'Arsenal Regens sign-up.

Maybe switch the team, AFC Wimbledon maybe? Man City don't need extra help, at least they have the billions to get everyone. :p

Oh, and I'm thinking of starting a FM09 A New World Signup (FM08 version here), but I'm having a bit of trouble deleting players, the delete selected item is greyed out :rolleyes:. I also Pm'ed DietSpam, who made the FM08 no player database...and will probably post in the Editors Hideaway soon.

What I'm asking you CSE-ers to do is something simple: I plan to put all the players (and this amount will be limited) onto the same national team, but I'm stumped on which national team to choose, preferably one in Europe. So please help me on that. More details to come later. :D

I will take the first 10 countries (or whether the poll max is, if there is one...and then I'll create a new thread, and you will all be able to vote...once. :p

The List so far...

FM09 A New World Signup

Possible National Football Teams to use:

Wales

Latvia

Andorra

San Marino

Right then. My current sign-up has not been a hit, at all.

So I'm here to ask all of you, what you would want in a sign-up. Just need a few ideas to find me something that will get a lot of interest and something which won't take me 3 hours to do an update that nobody is interested in.

I think a good one is always something where you might have an experiment in line with it as well :) So its got a plan of why you are doing it, or even something as simple as being completely different. If I am signing up generally I like for it to be different to something else I am in. Then again currently I am signed up to as many as I am going to right now as I feel I have to be able to commit time to reading all the updates and posting at least a reply to them as well, if not being able to include my own mini commentary or such.

Guest roberto922

I was thinking about something following what seems like the end of fantasy football due to it involving way too much for the responses it was getting, my idea isn't one for a particular sign up etc. but more along the lines of tackling the fact that 99% of sign ups and experiments end very prematurely.

Basically I was thinking why don't people team up more often? For example one of them does the DB and then uploads it for the other person, then the next person does the first update (or a set number of updates) and then uploads the appropriate files for his teammate to download and do the next update/batch of updates. This would obviously be aimed more at the demanding sign ups and experiments or towards forumers that want to do experiments/signups but don't have enough time to do them themselves. In my opinion it would ensure that signups etc. last longer and a higher percentage reach the end, it would of course depend on the forumers working well together, co-operating, being fairly punctual etc. and would (in my opinion) improve the forums as a whole.

Just let me know what you think, I've brought this up because theres sign-ups like fantasy football that are very enjoyable but are not being completed because of the time and effort taken to do each update which often results in forumers losing interest as the updates are taing upwards of a week to complete.

Guest mikeytwigge

the problem with fantasy football is the respoces you get from people are less likely to be banterish (if thats a word) and therefore i think that type of thing is always doomed to fail

the problem with fantasy football is the respoces you get from people are less likely to be banterish (if thats a word) and therefore i think that type of thing is always doomed to fail

I don't think any thread or type of thread is doomed to fail, it all depends upon the motivation and creativity of its author and, to a lesser extent, its posters. For example, a thriving component of WW's latest sign-up is users making up their own little newspaper snippets and posting them. If that's not creativity, I don't know what is.

However, banter is key to the threads. It's the reason the Off-Topic Thread got closed, and I think the sub-forum has generally benefited from that. The problem is, and I've said this in Ridley's thread too, that individualistic sign-ups where you focus on your own team and there is no gain to be had by taking an interest in the teams of others, aren't going to do as well.

With the Fantasy Football, forumers didn't have players specific to them: and their team wasn't competing against another (which is actually a really good idea if the Fantasy Football genre is done again), and all that it is really worth posting is comments to do with one's own team. Fantasy Football websites are very popular, but provoke little discussion. It's all about one's own results.

Threads with teams playing against each other and with a little part of the game that a user can identify with (e.g. a player of theirs) are much more likely to suceed, and originality is also a bonus. The Fantasy Football thing has been done countless times, not in an FM environment, but it is no novelty and that's another nail in its coffin.

A rough idea of my best idea:

There are 20 clubs, all in the same nation

20 forumers make players, each to be the captain of one of the clubs

20 other people make managers to manage the clubs

20 other people make chairmen for the clubs

There will be a live random draw to see which manager, player and chairmen goes to which club

Only trouble is it is a bit to much like WW's sign up?

Also each player will be the same nationality so they will all be competing against each other to be the best.

Guest roberto922

Yeah the only problem I see is that it's too similiar to WWs, if you add a couple of unique features it would be really good IMO

I always had an idea for a bingo kind of thing. But it's more geared towards a challenge. Order of events:

1) Number Called Out

2) Teams predicted to come in this position/A number that goes with a team, i.e. Hannover 96

3) Forumers try to see how they do.

Maybe some other twists can be added. Anybody willing to make something out of this may do so but please give a little credit ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idea 2:

A sign-up. Forumers are players. Throughout the seasont their achievements can be turned into a point based thing and they can either:

1) Boost their player's stats for a limited time depending on points

2) Bring down another persons abilities.

The thing is, after a set a time a winner will be chosen by who has the most points at the end. So you may save up your points but somebody could disadvantage your stats so you don't earn any points.

Basically those are my 2 ideas that I've been mulling over.

Anybody wishing to make anything out of them can do so but can they please give me some credit.

So what do you think?

Erm, it's up to you really. Giving them all clubs might be tricky.

Giving clubs means you'll have to make sure all clubs are in the same league and country.

And they have to have similar reputation

Making them unattatched may lead some to retire prematurely.

Although you're probably going down the whole 200 PA route anyway though?

Right then. My current sign-up has not been a hit, at all.

So I'm here to ask all of you, what you would want in a sign-up. Just need a few ideas to find me something that will get a lot of interest and something which won't take me 3 hours to do an update that nobody is interested in.

I think the fantasy football idea is a tough one to take on. As Nep found out last year, it is an incredible amount of work for very little response from the people taking part. This is not the fault of the person running it, I just think that the fantasy football scenario doesn't really create a great deal of conversation and discussion.

Personally, I think the most successful sign ups are the ones which naturally trigger meaningful responses from the people taking part. Often these come when the people taking part have some kind of personal involvement in what is going on.