Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much. I thought giving everyone a standard 4-4-2 would make things even. I was going to have the QB be the attacking MC, RBs as ST, WRs as the wingers, and TE as more defensive mid. Then for the defense, I would just pick the four best players and they'd be rated as a unit.

What are the challenges you see, PluckaDuck in sustaining it? Lack of ways for people to participate? I'm sure there are things I haven't considered.

EDIT: On the draft-I'm not sure whether I'll do one, since the colleges aren't in the game and I'm certainly not going to make them. I don't know how they set it up for the MLS, but I would guess it's a lot of work. It may not even be an option in the league editor. A lot of my ideas may have to change depending on what the FM10 editor is like.

Further note-Having never done one of these, especially with an edited database, I know I'll have tons of questions as I'll want to do it right. I already have a few. What's the best way of getting those things straightened out? This thread?

I have an idea for a sign up/experiment. It's on FM08 however, since I don't have FM09.

I've replaced the 4 scottish divisions, called it the County Championship and replaced them with teams representing the counties of England (in the County Championship there's also a Welsh team, Glamorgan and they'll be in as well, I've also added the Isle of Man to make up the numbers) These 'counties' have each got a stadium, all of the identical capacity, same reputation.

The sign-up bit is that people will be the 'chairman' of each club (although I won't create them on the game), and they'll have to decide things like manager. They just can't appoint any old manager, the manager must have some sort of connection to that county

If there's anything that you think could be improved or added then please say, or what you think of it.

It would probably work better on FM10 with the competition editor but I want to give a go at it first just so I can see what's good and what I can do differently :)

I heard Portugal are planning to a field a Brazilian player this weekend after he received Portuguese nationality earlier this month and that gave me an experiment idea:

It's Just Like Watching Brazil

in which I would take all of the players who were born Brazilian but now play for another country and create a new nation for them called 'Just Like Brazil' (I would overwrite a small European or Asian nation for this). The experiement would then see how this new country fares in international competition.

Additionally, I would ensure a flow of regens for the new country by placing the stadiums of some Brazilian teams there so their youth players take 'Just Like Brazilian' nationaility (there was an experiement a while back in which someone did a similar thing by putting the stadiums of top clubs around the world into the captial city of the 'Internet' nation to generate new regens. This would work in the same way). Hopefully, we would get a Brazil v. Just Like Brazil World Cup Match somewhere down the line!

I may or may not carry this through depending on time, but I'm trying to think of who could initially be included in the team. So far, I've got:

Senna (Spain)

Deco (Portugal)

Eduardo (Croatia)

Mehmet Aurelio (Turkey) there are also a couple of other Brazilian players who have taken Turkish nationality but not been capped like Nobre

Alex (Japan)

Then there are a few players in Qatar and other middle eastern countries who have changed their nationailty. Is there enough for a team?

I heard Portugal are planning to a field a Brazilian player this weekend after he received Portuguese nationality earlier this month and that gave me an experiment idea:

It's Just Like Watching Brazil

in which I would take all of the players who were born Brazilian but now play for another country and create a new nation for them called 'Just Like Brazil' (I would overwrite a small European or Asian nation for this). The experiement would then see how this new country fares in international competition.

Additionally, I would ensure a flow of regens for the new country by placing the stadiums of some Brazilian teams there so their youth players take 'Just Like Brazilian' nationaility (there was an experiement a while back in which someone did a similar thing by putting the stadiums of top clubs around the world into the captial city of the 'Internet' nation to generate new regens. This would work in the same way). Hopefully, we would get a Brazil v. Just Like Brazil World Cup Match somewhere down the line!

I may or may not carry this through depending on time, but I'm trying to think of who could initially be included in the team. So far, I've got:

Senna (Spain)

Deco (Portugal)

Eduardo (Croatia)

Mehmet Aurelio (Turkey) there are also a couple of other Brazilian players who have taken Turkish nationality but not been capped like Nobre

Alex (Japan)

Then there are a few players in Qatar and other middle eastern countries who have changed their nationailty. Is there enough for a team?

I don't know if you can search in the editor for players that are of brazilian nationality but agreed to play for another? That would make it easier to find players.

The dissolved club sign up-

Basically the Welsh Premier will be replaced by a number of dissolved clubs. Eg Sunderland Nissan, Scarborough etc. Chosen by you. I will follow the clubs progress and report back.

I don't mean to be rude, but it doesn't sound all that good. The idea of the dissolved clubs is a good one, and intriguing. But putting them in the Welsh leagues? I'd much rather see them put in the BSS/BSN and then see who can progress up the pyramid the quickest or something.

Ok. That would be good. I would put them in the BSN/BSS for sure. Is there any more improvements that could be made?

I'm not sure. Obviously you'd have to spend some time researching the clubs to find a sufficient number of dissolved clubs to use, if you can't find enough you could always just use the BSP instead of the BSS & BSN. Apart from that and keeping all the reputation, stadium sizes, finances etc relatively equal then it would be fine imo.

Yeah I have one, let somebody else run it.
Nice one! :(
Truth hurts ;)

Not very helpful in advertising this sub-forum as very user friendly is it?

Hey M, just a suggestion, but maybe if you started it as a sign-up where you take over 1 club and play as them and get people to sign up as the players? This way you are still playing the game which will make it a lot easier to get into it. I have found with my two attempts at sign-ups that the club ones take a lot more comittment and need the person to really get into them. And I am still looking for a club one that has really succeeded and got to the end. They are not the easiest to run or get interested in. I am looking at this for my little nations one and taking over a small club somewhere and getting the players to be from the bottom nations and do it that way intead. :)

This isn't an original idea of course, but has anyone mentioned doing a 'Small club to big club challenge in the previously unplayable European leagues' yet. For those wanting a pretty extreme challenge try managing in the Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino, Luxembourg or Malta. Then you have Cyprus, Montenegro, Albania, etc. If it has been mentioned, I'm sorry, if not, I'd be happy to set it up and try it out.

As I'm not sure how the competition editor is going to work, I'm not sure if I'd have to research the rules for each league though. Example, does the Faroe Islands have a foreigner rule?

Guest roberto922

Not sure, I think I saw it mentioned somewhere (don't quote me on this) but I don't think anyone has laid claim to the idea. One potential problem I can see is there being a lack of players available, meaning you'd have a load of randoms mixed in with greys, it would probably attract a fair amount of interest though if done well.

After some thought and after taking your advice on board I have decided that this idea would be a little too difficult to run. So... I have been thinking of some new ideas and have come up with an idea that I thought would run excellent and not fully depend on me, obviously a lot would though. So here's my idea:

The super scout show - Sign up

8 users sign up, they are now in a show. The show is the super scout show. They submit a player from a chosen nationality (A REGEN) and submit a picture of this player for the viewers to see. The viewers then vote for the best regen, the user with the least vote leaves. What do you think?

I'll check through the editor at some point and see if most teams have plenty of players, I think most European countries have been researched well so I don't think that will be a problem. :)

Am pretty sure that most of the top leagues are well researched, it does get a little empty below that as far as I can tell from the research for my Old World Project, this will be my small club to big club challenge in the new version. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had an idea. Don't all faint. They happen occasionally. I don't, however, know if it's manageable, or if someone's already done it.

What I'd like to do is alter the prize money, and TV revenue for the leagues, basically reversing it, so that the BSS/BSN would have that of the Premier League and the Premier League that of the bottom leagues. It should in theory mean that the further you get towards the top of the pyramid the poorer you get. While if you drop down the leagues you get richer and richer. What do you guys think of it as an idea, and is it possible.

Could (should) be possible in FM10 if you remake the English leagues, then you can set the price money yourself :thup: should certainly be a bit interesting as an AI experiment, that's for damn sure. Think it would be even better if you also reverse the league reps

Yeah I thought about putting that in too as a suggestion. But I wanted there to be some way that well managed teams could stay at the top. Without losing all their best players. I'm not sure though.

I like it PRDH, there's going to be a wealth of new ideas with the competition editor in FM10 and this certainly has the potential to make for very interesting observations. :thup:

Incidentally I've had an idea too. Its nothing groundbreaking but would suit us CSE'ers well given our love of sticking to 1 club. The idea is to simply track the best regen of your first ever batch on your first ever FM10 game. I see it as a decent way to get some good stories/excitement and input from FM10 straight from the get-go. Its much like Nepenthez's youth thread but instead of an update on each batch of youngsters, instead everyone will just be detailing the career of their first ever regen.

It will give breed to some real 'stars' and hopefully will contain some great stories revolving round our clubs.

Thats the idea anyway, I know I've not explained it as best I could but I am tired! If there's enough interest I'll get the thread up and running shortly :thup:

Incidentally I've had an idea too. Its nothing groundbreaking but would suit us CSE'ers well given our love of sticking to 1 club. The idea is to simply track the best regen of your first ever batch on your first ever FM10 game. I see it as a decent way to get some good stories/excitement and input from FM10 straight from the get-go. Its much like Nepenthez's youth thread but instead of an update on each batch of youngsters, instead everyone will just be detailing the career of their first ever regen.

It will give breed to some real 'stars' and hopefully will contain some great stories revolving round our clubs.

Thats the idea anyway, I know I've not explained it as best I could but I am tired! If there's enough interest I'll get the thread up and running shortly :thup:

I like the idea. I'm afraid lost interest in keeping my players in the youth thread I'm afraid because I had so many that it just took hours to do them.

Dafuge challenge Fm10 - not been here in a while - is there / has there been any discussion about how the data editor will affect the 2010 challenge. Guessing there will need to be some consistency meaning an initial download will be required. Wondering how low this initial download will go to as there are 24 levels of English football.

Threads have mentioned league level 8 will be relatively easy as all of the clubs are in FM09 database. Level 9 might be a struggle as not all the teams are there

Has this been discussed anywhere in here? I'd be suprised if it hasn't!!!

Dafuge challenge Fm10 - not been here in a while - is there / has there been any discussion about how the data editor will affect the 2010 challenge. Guessing there will need to be some consistency meaning an initial download will be required. Wondering how low this initial download will go to as there are 24 levels of English football.

Threads have mentioned league level 8 will be relatively easy as all of the clubs are in FM09 database. Level 9 might be a struggle as not all the teams are there

Has this been discussed anywhere in here? I'd be suprised if it hasn't!!!

Taken from here:

This is all being considered still and no final decision can really be made until I've had a chance to test it out and see how it works.

One thing that will happen is that everybody will be using the same set-up, this has been a feature ever since the challenge started in 2006 and it will remain that way.

While managing a tier 10 club sounds great, you have to consider the restrictions that adding that many leagues will take on the game. To complete the challenge you need to complete an absolute minimum of 8 seasons, with a lot of people completing a lot more (I'm on 20, some people a lot more than that). Adding lots more extra leagues will affect processing time so it needs to be kept realistic and you have to remember that the further down you go, the more divisions there are in each tier. The other problem is that the further down you go, the more sparse the research is. This challenge promotes the research work that our non league researchers do and I want to keep it that way.

Currently, we start playing in the BSN/S which gives us a chance to manage one of 66 new clubs from the three feeder leagues. This means we are loading 7 leagues.

By adding tier 7 (UniBond, Zamaretto and Ryman Premier Leagues) we would be loading 10 leagues instead, giving us a chance to manage one of 132 new clubs.

Adding tier 8 would mean loading 16 leagues, with a choice of 290 new teams.

Adding tier 9 would mean loading 30 leagues, with a choice of 310 teams.

It is still up for testing and discussion but I think adding tier 7 looks the most realistic option. I would love to go down to tier 8 as my local club is in tier 9, but by more than doubling the number of leagues I think it would have a big impact on the speed of the game, which I prefer to be as quick as possible.

At the moment I think it will either stay as it is or add tier 7. I just don't think it is worth going any further for speed and research reasons.

Don't know if this or something similar has been suggested?

Pretty much, you take control of any team in the world you want, only signing players from your nation. The objective is to win every trophy possible with them, and then try and take control of the international team when the opportunity arises. With them try to win every trophy possible with the exact same squad you have at your club.

Maybe suggested before but meh, I'll see.

I was under the impression you can buy the boxed version, register via steam and still have the benefits of not having to have the disk in the drive to play, as well as getting the achievements etc. I'm personally not overly-bothered with the achievements and more concerned about being able to play without the disk in the pc drive.

I think there will be some people that will try and gain all of the achievements, but I think the majority of people will just pick them up whilst playing as they normally would. I think having the thread in this forum is the obvious answer, and I could see it as a bit of banter in the first few weeks, but I don't think the thread has much of a long term future outside of the obvious response as 'just completed x achievement' & 'I have now completed X amount of achievements'.

Taken from here:

At the moment I think it will either stay as it is or add tier 7. I just don't think it is worth going any further for speed and research reasons.

That isn't to say that someone else might make their own challenge involving the lower tiers. I think you're making a very good decision for your own challenge, as it is popular, and you don't want to alienate people.

But I do think that there would be a lot of people who would like to take a shot at managing a tier 10 (or even lower) team. So I'm really hoping someone starts a challenge for this (if not, I will). I am also hoping (maybe ignorantly) that the increased performance in fm10 from all the polish (a recent blog mentioned a huge decrease in processing times) will make running 30+ simultaneous leagues not so laborious.

That isn't to say that someone else might make their own challenge involving the lower tiers. I think you're making a very good decision for your own challenge, as it is popular, and you don't want to alienate people.

But I do think that there would be a lot of people who would like to take a shot at managing a tier 10 (or even lower) team. So I'm really hoping someone starts a challenge for this (if not, I will). I am also hoping (maybe ignorantly) that the increased performance in fm10 from all the polish (a recent blog mentioned a huge decrease in processing times) will make running 30+ simultaneous leagues not so laborious.

Two separate challenges might be a good idea. One classic challenge, run by myself that has strictly no editing, then an edited version that opens up the leagues below the BSN/S.

I'm starting to think my own challenge might be better off staying as it is, with the old strictly no editors/third party updates rules staying. As much as I'd love to manage in the lower leagues, I'm not too keen on using created data that doesn't come with the game.

I believe that the Big European Collective have come to the decision to leave our challenge the same as well. No extra leagues added, we are going to be nice to Scotland and bring them into our fold with the same ruling as Holland, take over the worst team come the start of the new season.

I didn't actually realise at first but it seems it's not simply a case of 'ticking a box' and a new Country and their league's become playable. It seems like a much more complicated process of fine tuning all of the rules, transfer windows, league structure etc.

Well, there was a reason why I wasn't so active in CSE lately, and in the Editors Forum... :D

So I had an idea recently, and while I love starting sign-ups, conceptualizing and editing, I find the actual update portion of these things to be rather tedious. Thus, I was hoping to team up with someone who would be in charge of updates and things of that sort once I finish the sign up and editing portion. Here is my idea, just to see if anyone would be interested:

Battle Royal

Based upon the rather controversial Japanese movie:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

"A random class of Japanese ninth-grade students are--in this fictional universe--randomly selected by a fascist government lottery. They are kidnapped and forced onto an isolated island, where they are equipped with food, water, a map, and a random weapon. On the island, they have to compete in a violent death-match game till only one victor remains. Failure to follow the rules or participate in the death match results in death by an exploding collar that everyone has to wear."

You are one of the Japanese students selected for Battle Royal. Each student has a team (ie, the team name will be the students name). Each battle consists of a game against a classmate. In the battle you must use your natural talents (randomly created youth players) and your random weapon (a player and/or skill created specifically based on the random weapon you are given) to try to defeat your opponent. So that the sign up doesn't end quickly, one win doesn't signify a kill. Losing a game wounds a player and how bad the wound is depends upon the score of the game (ie, losing 2-0 will hurt you twice as much as losing 1-0). Once a player is wounded sufficiently, he will die. The player that kills him acquires his weapon. All these numbers will be decided later, but I'm thinking 10 health points would be about right, and each goal you lose by takes away one health point.

The Players:

Each player to signup will take on the name of one of the Japanese school children in the movie/book (42 in all, but that will probably prove to be too many). I will provide a list.

The Weapons:

In the movie/book, weapons range from various pistols, to a paper fan, to nothing all. Each weapon has a unique property that will be added to the team. For example, if a player gets a shotgun (purely for attack), his team will receive a slow, powerful striker who is terrible with long shots, or if a player received a bulletproof vest (purely for defense), he will get an amazing keeper, but who isn't particularly strong at one on ones (similar to a knife fight, or something). A player who gets a baseball bat (can be used for defense or attack) will get a strong but technically poor center midfielder. A player who gets a paper fan (no defensive abilities, very weak attacking abilities) will get a very weak striker. The list goes on from there. I have a list of all of these and have nearly come up with unique characteristics for all of them.

Would anyone be interested in co-Hosting this with me? This would obviously be for when FM2010 comes out.

I didn't actually realise at first but it seems it's not simply a case of 'ticking a box' and a new Country and their league's become playable. It seems like a much more complicated process of fine tuning all of the rules, transfer windows, league structure etc.

Since the editor won't be available until the game is actually released I guess we'll have to wait until next week to see how it really works.

I've decided to keep my challenge the same for FM10, leaving any similar challenges using the editor to add extra leagues free for anyone who fancies running them.

Is anyone interested in running an English league based challenge using the editor which opens up leagues below the BSN/S?