Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Originally posted by foxmad:

Thinking about the 1 month challenges I'm thinking that maybe one based on a player who has to play in goal for a season and awards are rewarded for highest finish, Most Clean Sheets, Most Games played in goal, highest average rating.

Was thinking some midtable side.

I like the idea of that.

A chalenge based around a particular player rather than a team.

Interesting icon14.gif.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I have this idea.

I'm going to bring back the Premiership Draft Sign-up.

Loved this idea when it was introduced, yet it was never properly started.

Bear with me though, this will take hours of work to sort out, but hopefully I can get Wisla to help me icon_wink.gif

Some background information for those who weren't around when this was created :-

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>The basic idea is based around a fantasy football theme.

<LI>All Premiership squads will have their players completely removed.

<LI>There will then be a list of a few hundred players in each of their respective positions. (Each player will be valued accordingly)

<LI>The people involved will then pick a squad of 20 from the list of players with a certain amount of money (that I am yet to define)

<LI>Then the fun commences icon_biggrin.gif

But, please, as with all sign-ups, only take part if you are going to post. This will take a huge amount of work, and I don't want to have to add to that by chasing around after people working out why they aren't posting.

Thanks.

Any questions, just ask icon_smile.gif

Birdy.

Originally posted by minisav:

Well they'd be better doing the whole of Africa because I'd probably be up for that.

I'm taking part in the South America one and yes Mexico is included.

Asia would probably be quite good also.

South Africa is the only African league in the game.

Originally posted by wisla_krakow:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

hopefully I can get Wisla to help me icon_wink.gif

Perhaps it's time to come out of my temporary sign-up retirement icon_wink.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooooh... liked this idea before but it never seemed to get off the ground, hopefully will be run better if you two are incharge. icon_biggrin.gif

Perhaps it's something like this that might re-spark my interest in FM08 again. icon14.gif

Will keep a close eye on developments! icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by minisav:

Well they'd be better doing the whole of Africa because I'd probably be up for that.

I'm taking part in the South America one and yes Mexico is included.

Asia would probably be quite good also.

South Africa is the only African league in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooops. Sorry. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh and the Fantasy Footie idea looks good. icon14.gif

Time permitting, I might go back to getting together a potential FM08 sign-up that I started to plan a while ago (with some input from Tilla), it's a long way from ready as it's quite complicated but with some time spent on it I might get it done in the next month or so.

That's a big 'if' though, would most likely start a new sign-up if I had a bit of time to run it, like I'd had for the previous ones.

Hell all; I've had an idea for an AI Experiment/Holiday Game and seeing as I'm new round here I thought I'd ask a) what people though and b) whether it had been done before or not.

Anyway, here's a quick summary:

Fallen Giants versus Jossy's Giants A.I. Experiment

Question

How much does reputation affect a team's chances of making it's way through the leagues and the game?

Methodology

With a modified database, create two cloned teams (cloned in that they will be exactly identical in each and every way). Both will be given an ambitious sugar daddy chairman and a roster of identical 'decent' players for their level, along with a 'decent' manager. The only thing that will be different will be their reputations, The Fallen will have a maximized reputation, ~ to a global giant, Jossy's will have a minimal reputation.

Both teams will be placed in either the BSN or the BSS, assuming them to be of equal difficulty and let them duke it out.

The Experiment is then to study both teams, how they approach the leagues, staffing etc etc as they (hopefully) make their way up to footballing dynasty and whether reputation can be seen to have any palpable effect in the standards they are capable of ascertaining and how quickly they do it.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by wisla_krakow:

Time permitting, I might go back to getting together a potential FM08 sign-up that I started to plan a while ago (with some input from Tilla), it's a long way from ready as it's quite complicated but with some time spent on it I might get it done in the next month or so.

That's a big 'if' though, would most likely start a new sign-up if I had a bit of time to run it, like I'd had for the previous ones.

I need you online now please icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by problemchild:

birdy, you might not remember me cuz its a long time ago but i was bennitto

What is wrong with your old account? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hadnt logged in for months and forgot the password plus the confirmation answer you need to request a new password to be sent to you

Ok, some more information on my sign-up.

I am completing a list of players for the draft with Alex's help. However this is taking a long time because there are going to be around 800 drafted players iirc. And I am on around number 150/200...

So don't get your hopes up for this starting in a few days. This, combined with the sheer task of editing the database with all the drafted squads will take hours and hours.

But rest assured, this will happen.

And it will be big.

Just wait and see.

Birdy.

Originally posted by birdy123:

Ok, some more information on my sign-up.

I am completing a list of players for the draft with Alex's help. However this is taking a long time because there are going to be around 800 drafted players iirc. And I am on around number 150/200...

So don't get your hopes up for this starting in a few days. This, combined with the sheer task of editing the database with all the drafted squads will take hours and hours.

But rest assured, this will happen.

And it will be big.

Just wait and see.

Birdy.

This sounds good can't wait for it to start.

Dafuge - Do the post boxes have a limit on them? Because the draft list for my sign-up looks like it will have around 20,000 (yes, twenty thousand!) characters in it. Would this all fit into one text box, or would I have to post several times to split it up?

It needs to be split up, the list in my challenge has become too big to fit into one post as you can see here. That contains just over 18000 characters (not including spaces).

Originally posted by problemchild:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Try checking your e-mail (the one you originally signed up with)

i found the email but i must have changed the password when i was active cuz it doesnt work </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll delete your old account then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

Dafuge - Do the post boxes have a limit on them? Because the draft list for my sign-up looks like it will have around 20,000 (yes, twenty thousand!) characters in it. Would this all fit into one text box, or would I have to post several times to split it up?

It needs to be split up, the list in my challenge has become too big to fit into one post as you can see here. That contains just over 18000 characters (not including spaces). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, thanks.

Originally posted by minisav:

Should somebody just come straight out and start more 'Dafuge' small club to big club challenges for all the continents?

I don't know about other continents, but I can see a dafuge-style challenge with the big European leagues (minus England) work. The leagues not covered by either Dafuge or Gundo are Spain, Portugal, Germany, France and Italy. Holland (as Scotland in Gundo's) can't be used because they use a closed league system.

This challenge should be a lot easier (and therefore more short-term) than the other two, because the have less playable levels (4 in Germany and Italy, 3 in Spain and France (don't know about Portugal). If someone sets it up (I don't spend nearly enough time on this board to manage it), I'll participate, and I'm sure I'll not be the only one.

Dafuge - Is it ok if I use multiple threads to start my sign-up? It's just that I feel it will get too cluttered if everything is in one thread.

The first will be to get the 20 participants, and explain what the basis is of the sign-up, and the like.

The second thread will be the thread where everyone picks their team from the draft list. This may end up messy, like the old version of this sign-up did, but I hope that this time the participants can hold themselves together enough to not post-whore the thread into a mass of "+1" type posts.

The final thread will be at a later date, when I have finished all the editing. The purpose of this is to have a concise, easily readable opening post where the sign-up can start from as it wishes to go on. I also feel that by doing it this way, there won't be posts from people asking if they can be in the sign-up, and the like, which clutter the thread up, as they will see from the opening post that the teams are decided, and won't see a sign-up form and think *I'll fill that in*.

Urgh, that's a really poorly written post :/

But I hope you get the vague idea.

Dafuge - Is it ok if I use multiple threads to start my sign-up? It's just that I feel it will get too cluttered if everything is in one thread.

The first will be to get the 20 participants, and explain what the basis is of the sign-up, and the like.

The second thread will be the thread where everyone picks their team from the draft list. This may end up messy, like the old version of this sign-up did, but I hope that this time the participants can hold themselves together enough to not post-whore the thread into a mass of "+1" type posts.

The final thread will be at a later date, when I have finished all the editing. The purpose of this is to have a concise, easily readable opening post where the sign-up can start from as it wishes to go on. I also feel that by doing it this way, there won't be posts from people asking if they can be in the sign-up, and the like, which clutter the thread up, as they will see from the opening post that the teams are decided, and won't see a sign-up form and think *I'll fill that in*.

Urgh, that's a really poorly written post :/

But I hope you get the vague idea.

Of course.

That was how the phrase 'sign up thread' came about. People would open up a 'sign up thread' to gain interest for their story, then start a new thread once all the places were filled.

Now that the new patch is out, I'm considering starting a new sign up, although this one should be a lot more manageable due to less detail involved:

Eurovision Striking Contest

A slight twist on sign ups that have been done before in the past, people would fill in details about their striker and would then be randomnly allocated one of the UEFA affiliated countries (ideally, depending on the amount of people interested there could be upto 53 participants). It would be a follow your progress sign up with points being awarded to your player based on performances only at Int level, with players competing against each other to gain the most points. I would do half-yearly updates with the annual winner being awarded in the end of season summary after the Int games in June.

Players would start by being randomly assigned to a team in the 2nd level of domestic club football (ie: The Championship and equivalents), grouped together in certain countries depending on geographical locations (GB nation players based in England, former USSR nations based in Russia, Scandanavian players grouped together etc). I would give brief updates on players domestic football careers as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated? icon_smile.gif

Sounds similar to LokedOut420's thread, which is a great format I think.

Yeah LokedOut420 has done a great striker thread, as well as Boskovic. This idea is just another twist on it as if enough people sign up then people will be playing each other whenever European Int games come around.

I'll start thinking up my opening post icon_cool.gificon14.gif

OK, got the right place this time icon_razz.gif

Hi guys, I had an idea for a new challenge that I'm thinking about getting going with the new patch (while I'm thinking about it, I'll wait and see if an updated patch is released soon or not).

Basically, the aim would be to play in the top European Countries (England, Spain, Italy, Framce and Germany) with the top two divisions active in each. You have to start in the second division (or maybe unemployed but I'd need to check what jobs are available at the start with 8.0.2) and you have ten years to win as much as possible with different clubs.

I thought I could use a points system to keep track, so you get points for promotion, cup wins, league wins and European success. There would also be points for a new job, maybe with bonus points for taking the helm at one of the 'elite' clubs. That would encourage people to have a varied 'journeyman' career as most of the long-term challenges focus on one team only. I would include points for international jobs too as well as European Championship/ World Cup success.

Oh, and I nearly forgot - minus points for getting the sack or getting relegated too icon_biggrin.gif

What do you think? Would ten years be enough for people to have a good crack at it? Or would it require a longer period to give it justice, say 15 or 20 years? I'd appreciate your input icon14.gif

I don't know how many of you were around when this challenge was originally made for Football Manager 2007 but it was probably my most enjoyable save I've ever had. I only did 5 seasons yet had over 7 days worth of playing time. The thing was that I wasn't that successful and despite the fact that you could change teams I stuck with my original team for all 5 seasons that I did play determined to win a trophy but I just couldn't beat TNS and Llanneli. Eventually though I won the Welsh Cup beating TNS on penalties in the final. After that I moved to Torquay and then the thread went a bit dull and so did my game.

I was wondering if anyone would like to have a go at the challenge on 08 with pretty much the same rules, I've loaded it up on 08 in the same way and I've not seen any problems. It was one of the popular 07 challenges so I thought it might be fun to play on 08.

Chris who originally run it gave me permission a few months ago to run it again if I wanted to. I might do that soon but anyone who wants to have a look at the old challenge and have a go or even make a thread on it is welcome to. icon14.gif

Hi guys, i've been thinking of doing a sign-up for a while now but i didn't want to do a normal one as there are quite a lot of these at the moment that just die out through lack of interest.

Inspired by Boskovic, Lokedout420 and Walcott's Wonderkids striker sign-ups i thought it was time to have a defender or goalkeeper sign-up where points could be based upon clean sheets, tackles per game and pass completion, games won etc. Points could be lost for goals conceded and games lost.

I realise there was one about goalkeepers scoting but this would be for their usual defensive duties and i do not believe there has ever been a defenders one having done a search.

What do you all think? Would this be a good idea? I aplogize if something like this has been done, but feel free to give me suggestions

I will only do this with dafuge's permission but my idea is to copy his small club to big club challenge but in scotland instead of England.

I chose Scotland because although it isn't a very big web of leagues like England most people are aware of the clubs more than they are of foreign clubs.

One of the main other reasons for Scotland is because not enough people play their leagues and i would like to introduce starting and experienced players to,when they start a new game,not just to look at England but also Scotland.

So managers would pick a club in the scottish 3rd division.Raise them up through the ranks.When they reach the get them to win the europen cup and the league and after accomplising this. Create a new user as scotland manager. Retire him and the The player will apply and most likley get the job and must then resign from their current club and take Scotland to win the World cup.

The managers Nationality must be Scotttish.Also if they are sacked allong the way they must thake over a club in the 3rd division and do it agian!What do you think?

Originally posted by Unrealgod:

I will only do this with dafuge's permission but my idea is to copy his small club to big club challenge but in scotland instead of England.

I chose Scotland because although it isn't a very big web of leagues like England most people are aware of the clubs more than they are of foreign clubs.

One of the main other reasons for Scotland is because not enough people play their leagues and i would like to introduce starting and experienced players to,when they start a new game,not just to look at England but also Scotland.

So managers would pick a club in the scottish 3rd division.Raise them up through the ranks.When they reach the get them to win the europen cup and the league and after accomplising this. Create a new user as scotland manager. Retire him and the The player will apply and most likley get the job and must then resign from their current club and take Scotland to win the World cup.

The managers Nationality must be Scotttish.Also if they are sacked allong the way they must thake over a club in the 3rd division and do it agian!What do you think?

icon14.gif

Originally posted by Unrealgod:

So do people Think it looks good then? because i know the bit about Scotland manager bit is a bit shadey but i'm only starting it with Dafudges permision.