Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Originally posted by Poyplemonkeys:

Well it's in the English leagues as the Italian league loaded fine, maybe it's the previous league positions like you say ridleys.

Try deleting all league and tournametn history as well.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of a new challenge :

The Ambidextrous Challenge

The Challenge : Take control of any team in any league (this maybe needs a little revising but this is only the raw idea) and win the champions league with only ambidextrous players in the team (subs included).

Ambidextrous players - The ones which have preferred foot set as "Either" meaning they are good with both feet.

Could be an interesting challenge.

What do you guys think about it ?

Like your idea el sid, although I wouldn't take part because TBH I'm pretty sh-- at FM.

May I suggest a 7-day-rule? They have one on the FMS forum, where you cannot start a second FMS within 7 days of starting your last one. It means that the forum stays uncluttered, and stops people going mad just posting any story which comes to mind. I think one here would be useful so people can understand the magnitude of running a challenge/sign-up/experiment before posting and commiting themselves to running loads (and I am here not mentioning any names).

The obvious exception would be where a sign-up has a sign-up thread and a results thread, and anything else in which the "action" is spread over two threads.

Originally posted by canvey!!:

Like your idea el sid, although I wouldn't take part because TBH I'm pretty sh-- at FM.

May I suggest a 7-day-rule? They have one on the FMS forum, where you cannot start a second FMS within 7 days of starting your last one. It means that the forum stays uncluttered, and stops people going mad just posting any story which comes to mind. I think one here would be useful so people can understand the magnitude of running a challenge/sign-up/experiment before posting and commiting themselves to running loads (and I am here not mentioning any names).

The obvious exception would be where a sign-up has a sign-up thread and a results thread, and anything else in which the "action" is spread over two threads.

Was just about to mention this icon14.gif

Originally posted by canvey!!:

I was thinking about this a while ago, do we really want to go down the route of having a 'forum rules' thread or should we keep it as it is now where common sense should be used?

Despite not being official, at the moment people are only encouraged to start threads that they intend on carrying on with, whether that be a challenge which they play or a sign up which they run. Threads that are started for the sake of it usually end up getting closed or deleted.

G'day guys

I have been thinking of this for a while, and I'm now considering making this a sign-up, I'll try to explain it to you the best i can....

In Austrlia, we are absolutely football mad, (if anyone doesn't know what 'football is, here's a quick explanation i got off wikipedia)

Australian rules football, Australian football, Aussie rules, or simply "football" or "footy" is a team sport played between two teams of 18 players with a ball in the shape of a prolate spheroid. It is a football variant played outdoors on large oval shaped grass fields (often also used as a cricket ground), with four goal posts at each end.

The primary aim of the game is to score goals (worth six points) by kicking the ball between the middle two posts of the opposing goal. The winner is the team who has the higher total score at the end of the fourth quarter. Except for special circumstances, if the score is tied then a draw is declared.

Players may use any part of their body to advance the ball. The primary methods are kicking, handballing and running with the ball. There are restrictions on how the ball can be handled, for example players running with the ball must intermittently bounce or touch it on the ground, throwing the ball is not allowed and players must not get caught holding the ball. Unlike most similar sports, there is no offside rule and players can roam the field freely. Possession of the ball is in dispute at all times except when a free kick is paid. A distinctive feature of the game is the mark, where players anywhere on the field who catch a ball from a kick (with specific conditions), are awarded a free kick. Australian rules is a contact sport in which players can tackle using their hands or use their whole body to obstruct opponents. Dangerous physical contact (such as a pushing an opponent in the back), interference when marking and deliberately slowing the play are discouraged with free kicks, distance penalties or suspension, depending on the seriousness of the infringement. Frequent physical contests, aerial marking or "speckies", fast movement of both players and the ball and high scoring are the game's main attributes as a spectator sport.

Ok, on with things, our major competition for this sport is the AFL (Australian Football League). There are sixteen teams currently in this competition, they are as follows....

From Victoria- Collingwood Mapies, Carlton Blues, Melbourne Deamons, North Melbourne Kangaroos, Hawthorn Hawks, Richmond Tigers, Essendon Bombers, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda Saints and the Geelong Cats

From South Australia- Adelaide Crows, Port Adelaide Power

From Western Australia- Fremantle Dockers, West Coast Eagles

From Queensland- The Brisbane Lions

From New South Wales- Sydney Swans

And in 2011, there will be a team from the Gold Coast, then in 2012, a 2nd team from Sydney will be added

OK, my idea: I will open a sign up, with 18 places avalible, 16 for the current teams, as well as 2 of the new teams, and each of you will then take over one of the 18 clubs as a chairman, and I will monitor their progress, and post monthly updates on them.

So the new AFL will take over the Spanish 1st division, With each of the teams being set an equal reputation. I will either use random fictional players, or add each player from the AFL into to their respective teams, depending on how time consuming it is to do so. As for the managers, They will bethe current coaches for the teams in the AFL.

Ok, what about the rest of the divisions in the spanish League? Well I intend to add in there some of the famous clubs from the state level competitions, ie; Port Magpies, Box Hill, South Port Sharks, Bendigo Bombers, East Fremantle ect. However these clubs are not avalible in the sign up

Depending on the response this, aswell as the ammount of spare time I've got, I could make this into a sign up!!

Thanks for reading guys, i look forward to hearing your responses!!!

• 2 weeks later...

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5402079792/m/8502061753

Would anyone be interested in being involved in something similar to this on FM09?

Probably on a smaller scale, say 10 people maximum, with priority given to forum regulars and those who have been involved in the previous two incarnations and limited to just the EPL rather than across Europe.

Here's an idea I've been thinking about - I was wondering whether I should do it now or wait for FM09. But I think I'll do it now, just wondering what peoples' feedback would be. The basic idea is a The Apprentice-themed sign-up. We get 20 forumers who each assume a role of a Premiership team (are the managers). Each week a task is set, using my inventive imagination :rolleyes:. Basically I give the task a real-life setting, but the objective is in FM terms. The objective may be to make a profit, in which case I want a high goal-difference.

There would be two teams of 10, with alternating Project Managers. In this example, the team with the positive goal-difference (say, +4), would win, and the losing Project Manager could then call two teams in with him, so they pick Derby and Fulham, who conceded far too many goals. Through the form of some balloting or something, a user is voted out of the sign-up.

The teams would be seeded based on media predicted positions, so you wouldn't get the Big Four on one team. Thoughts?

Excellent. I'm unsure about the specifics, because I don't want it to be a complete walkover either way. I also need to figure out a structure. Ideally, I want to divide the 38 games amongst how many "rounds/weeks" of the sign-up there are. e.g. I could have 19 weeks each with two games. However, that seems a little short, so I'm thinking have some objectives related to the FA Cup and League Cup.

I have another idea, which I won't be doing until after this Apprentice one, but am posting here to "bagsy" it. It'd be called "Relegation's not the end", and you'd start off after a year's holidaying managing one of the teams relegated into BSN/S. After promoting them (no time limit), you manage the team that was relegated in BSP, promote them into L2, promote the team relegated into L2 into L1, etc. Once you reach the Premiership, try and win it to complete the challenge. If you get sacked you must continue at a team that has just been relegated into the league you are in or below.

I have a challenge idea that might be good for anyone looking for a short-term game for the summer hols or prior to the release of FM 09.

The basic concept would be to set up a game with the top two divisions from the 'big' leagues in Europe (England, Italy, Spain, Germany, maybe Portugal and France) and start at one of the teams predicted to finish bottom of the second division. You then have ten seasons to have as successful a career as you can. I would devise a points system based on your acheivements (i.e. getting promoted, winning a cup comp, winning the top flight championship, getting a national job and several other things but no need to go into full detail now ;)). Changing jobs etc would be allowed and the challenge would culminate with the 2018 World Cup.

I would keep a table of the points and a 'CSE Forum Champion' (or Thread Champ if that's too presumptuos :p) could be declared once the new game is out.

Any takers?

DodgeeD: I would be up for that challenge as I like to play those sorts of games where it involves the big nations! Plus I am on my summer hols so I can play for as long as I want!

There should be some sort of incentive. obviously nothing involving money but something where the winner will be honoured! :thumbs:

DodgeeD: I would be up for that challenge as I like to play those sorts of games where it involves the big nations! Plus I am on my summer hols so I can play for as long as I want!

There should be some sort of incentive. obviously nothing involving money but something where the winner will be honoured! :thumbs:

I agree - maybe we could talk to dafuge about it or get it included in the Forum Awards.

Right, any feedback on this welcome:

A predictions game, based on betting on the outcome of the league and cups. I would forsee doing it by running a game on holiday. I would probabaly use the Scottish leagues, but edit Celtic and Rangers out, so as to make it less predictable and give it a slightly experimental side, in terms of what would happen after a few years. Each person taking part would have an 'account' with say, £1,000 in it. I would provide odds on each competition (the game won't do it for me :() and each person would place bets on who they think will win or get relegated.

I guess screenshots would be posted to show transfer activity, and anything else, within reason, that people think is pertinent, along with information on important developments, like manager sackings. We could potentially have two rounds of betting, one at the end of each transfer window. The second would allow you to increase your bets or try to cover them elsewhere if they're going down the pan...

Any thoughts/ideas welcome (oh and would it be in any way unethical given there are u-18s on the board?! :D)

My short sign-up idea. (For when I've competed Dafuge's AND Gundo's Challenge :D )

A short 5 year sign up, where 20 players are created, and are coming to the end of their long and illustrious career. Basically, I will create a 12 year history for them on the editor, then follow the final years of their career, in whichever league and team they wish to be at.

Sign ups usually start, but rarely end at the end of the players careers, so I thought I'd start at the end, and give some people closure :D

I've though about that exact thing before Nep. It kinda morphed into the 'disharmony' experiment that I may or may not ever finish.

Anyway, what you could do is edit in some staff details, so that they have non playing careers? Once they've retired you can whizz through seasons at a time to see ho they're non playing careers go

A predictions game, based on betting on the outcome of the league and cups. I would forsee doing it by running a game on holiday. I would probabaly use the Scottish leagues, but edit Celtic and Rangers out, so as to make it less predictable and give it a slightly experimental side, in terms of what would happen after a few years. Each person taking part would have an 'account' with say, £1,000 in it. I would provide odds on each competition (the game won't do it for me :() and each person would place bets on who they think will win or get relegated.

I guess screenshots would be posted to show transfer activity, and anything else, within reason, that people think is pertinent, along with information on important developments, like manager sackings. We could potentially have two rounds of betting, one at the end of each transfer window. The second would allow you to increase your bets or try to cover them elsewhere if they're going down the pan...

Any thoughts/ideas welcome (oh and would it be in any way unethical given there are u-18s on the board?! :D)

i like the idea but on the ethics i don't know tbh:thup:

I've though about that exact thing before Nep. It kinda morphed into the 'disharmony' experiment that I may or may not ever finish.

Anyway, what you could do is edit in some staff details, so that they have non playing careers? Once they've retired you can whizz through seasons at a time to see ho they're non playing careers go

Yea that would be possible. But as mentioned, I want a sign up that has closure. So once the player retires, the game is over. It just stops Challenges becoming mundane and boring, and offers a short term, yet very interesting sign up, that can be done a few times.

How is this for a challenge? You have to start off as a Brazilian Second Division team. Win the South American equivalent of the CL. Get the Brazil job and win the World Cup. Then you have move to an European team. win the CL. Then get the job of the country you're managing in and win the Euros and World Cup. Then for added hardness. Move to an Australian team win all the cups available there and get the Australian job and win the world cup with Australia. So what does everyone think?

Hello,

I'm wondering whether conducting an FM-based simulation of the 08-09 season would be considered an acceptable "AI experiment."

My goal isn't to break the AI -- instead, I was considering simulating the major leagues in Europe a bunch of times -- my initial thought was that 22 should be sufficient -- and removing each team's 'best' and 'worst' year, so that each team would have 20 sets of results. From there, the 20 sets of results could be averaged out to create a series of predictions for the upcoming season.

I don't know if there would be much interest in this idea, but I'm looking for a forum to write out the findings.

How is this for a challenge? You have to start off as a Brazilian Second Division team. Win the South American equivalent of the CL. Get the Brazil job and win the World Cup. Then you have move to an European team. win the CL. Then get the job of the country you're managing in and win the Euros and World Cup. Then for added hardness. Move to an Australian team win all the cups available there and get the Australian job and win the world cup with Australia. So what does everyone think?

Sounds like an interesting idea. Would certainly be a varied and long term game.

How about adding in South Africa and the USA aswell? That way the aim would be the CL on all the continents in the game. Althought the World Cup challenge would take rather a long time if you need a few rebuilding year before the team are competative.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Would certainly be a varied and long term game.

How about adding in South Africa and the USA aswell? That way the aim would be the CL on all the continents in the game. Althought the World Cup challenge would take rather a long time if you need a few rebuilding year before the team are competative.

Right enough.

I am really all for this idea. Just one question, Would we start with a 'fictional account' of say $5000 and whoever has the most money at the end wins?

I have an idea for a team challenge a bit like the Wallace v Roberts one. 10 people are assigned to each team and both teams are assigned the team who is predicted 20th of blue square north and south, then it could be which team can win the premiership first or who can acheive the most in 20 seasons. If anyone wants to use this idea or expand it feel free to do so coz im gonna be looking for a job soon and wont have alot of time

Right i'm thinking of starting a challenge which everyone can get involved and get some great banter which is what we want

what ive been thinking of is restoring fallen giants or something similar, im also tempted to go along the lines of Dafuge monthly challenges or Canvey's apprentice one(which tbh i dont really understand) but it brings people together.

So People Lets Brainstorm

I don't know how feasible it would be but does anyone think an Ebbsfleet type thing would work where a certain amount of people have to vote on who to pick for the team and things like that. (I may have suggested this ni the past, I can't remember whether I did or not)

So what about my 10-year challenge from further up this page? :)

It's short-term, there's an element of competiton between the participants due to the points system and it involves the big European leagues, whcih I feel are often neglected in challenges too.

This is the one I mean:thup:

I have a challenge idea that might be good for anyone looking for a short-term game for the summer hols or prior to the release of FM 09.

The basic concept would be to set up a game with the top two divisions from the 'big' leagues in Europe (England, Italy, Spain, Germany, maybe Portugal and France) and start at one of the teams predicted to finish bottom of the second division. You then have ten seasons to have as successful a career as you can. I would devise a points system based on your acheivements (i.e. getting promoted, winning a cup comp, winning the top flight championship, getting a national job and several other things but no need to go into full detail now ;)). Changing jobs etc would be allowed and the challenge would culminate with the 2018 World Cup.

I would keep a table of the points and a 'CSE Forum Champion' (or Thread Champ if that's too presumptuos :p) could be declared once the new game is out.

Any takers?