Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

Cultural Durango

Are they playable in FM08?

Sadly not, they were relegated in 2005/6 and haven't made it back up yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by birdy123:

That's a shame. Would have been a real difficult challenge.

Just use Sestao River Club.

Though only Athletic have the Basque only rule in the game officially, there are several Basque lower leagues.

I think Sestao are the smallest.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tested to see if Cultural Durango have a high enough rep to be promoted after the first season? Maybe there could be a Basque dafuge style challenge, taking control of Basque clubs that are unplayable at the start.

You can use the filters to make sure you only buy Basque players as well. Just checked and as a Basque club (even without the rule stopping you buying non Basques) you can filter for Basque just as you can for Spanish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Basque_football_clubs

List of all the Basque clubs. There are even a few in France.

How about a thread like "What challenge should I join?"

I don't know, I think as Dafuge said there is a Challenge guide that pretty much explains all the challenges (and there aren't really that many to choose from.). You could open it up to a "What team should I manage?", but such a thread has a high risk of turning useless. (If I see one I GQ it's mostly: "Hi I want to manage a team from League 2 and they have to have excellent facilities, 20k+-all seater, shitloads of money and about 11 top class players. Any ideas?").

Thought i'd post here and get a few opinions on a Sign up/experiment i'm thinking of starting.

The general idea is that a new club has been formed by the FA to improve the standard of young British footballers. It will, in essence, be an academy which competes competetively in the English league, starting in the Blue Square Premier. But the primary role of the club is to gain the maximum potential from the UK's young talent, and produce the next generation of superstars. Rather than looking to acheive on a club level.

The Academy club will have excellent facilities, a 10,000 seater top-of-the-range stadium and a healthy bank balance. As well as a small, but very talented staff. While the players will have a contract with the academy, I (as manager) will be obligated to accept any offer that is deemed to be in the players best interests, rather than holding on to players purely to do well in the league. For example, if Arsenal or Man Utd were to bid for a youngster it would be accepted. If Woking were to bid, then it would only be accepted if it was the players best chance of making a career for himself.

The Academy will recieve a transfer fee for the players to cover the cost of running the club. However, the Academy itself can only sign players under the age of 21 and with English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish nationality. Players over 21 can play for the Academy side, subject to the aforementioned conditions.

I will remain manager of the Academy for the entirity of the sign-up, even if I were to get fired ('unthinkable' I hear you cry!) in the interest of continuing the Academy's rules. If I do get sacked, I will make a new managerial profile and assume control so that there is an element of realism.

This will be an experiment to see how such a club would work, and how successful it would be competing with only youth system products and home grown Under-21 signings. But this will be there primarily to compliment the sign-up.

As for the sign-up aspect, of course, the players signing up will make up the first generation of Academy players. They will be used in the Academy's league campaign, for as long as it takes for a big club to sign them. One possibility is to have a random element to the PA. Not as drastic as iseemonsters' excellent "it could be you... who's crap!" sign-up. But maybe ranging from 180 to -10, or less. Players will choose from a set number of positions to fill the squad out and choose from a limited number of 20, 18 and 15 point attributes. And should the opportunity arise, players will have the choice as to what offers are accepted for their player (there will also be an option for a favourite/least favourite club to help this somewhat). Players will be able to choose their Nationality from any of the home nations, and can choose any second nationality if they wish.

There will be regular updates (owing to my ridiculously easy job, borderline insomnia and large amount of free time!), at first tracking their performance in the Academy. Then going on to follow them throughout their career. While I will also keep you updated on the Academy experiment.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions... have at you!

Originally posted by dafuge:

Holiday Game Idea

Does loading a league make a difference to the fortunes of the clubs and the country?

This is an idea to test something I have always wondered, exactly how much of a difference does loading a league have?

The idea is to report on the fortunes of the club and national teams from 10 countries over a prolonged period of time, comparing the loaded leagues against the unloaded leagues.

The fixtures could look something like:

Argentina vs Brazil

England vs Spain

Belgium vs Holland

Denmark vs Sweden

Northern Ireland vs Wales

Where the home team is the loaded league and the away team is the unloaded league.

Every season a comparison between the two countries could be made, comparing the clubs fortunes in continental competition using the club/nation coefficients and the nation's fortunes using the FIFA rankings. Reports could be made using a combination of rankings/coefficients and progress of individual clubs.

I suggested this way back in November, but have only just thought about actually doing it.

Would people be interested in it?

Any further suggestions or improvements?

Originally posted by minisav:

Sounds good to me. icon14.gif

Can we go and play in Australia for the April challenge? I know it's early but...

I don't see why not.

If you find an interesting team, just e-mail me towards the end of the month. I've chosen the last three but I was really hoping that people from the forums would suggest teams to use. I didn't get one suggestion this month icon_frown.gif

I have been thinking of running a sign up game that could be the ultimate game.

Premise would be loading every league in every country. My machine can handle it but it is kind of slow running, even with minimal, my league only detail level.

Basically, the sign up would allow however many players sign up for any position they would like to play, wouldnt have to be a set number of each position.

Deciding where each player starts could be done randomly or some other way but probably would limit the players to start on a team in the lower league or next one up.

Object is to see who has the best carreer over the length of the game.

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

peace

Hall of Fame Challenge

I'm not sure if something like this has been done before or not but the idea hit me tonight as I was about to sleep....

My idea was to load up the top leagues from 6 countries (one on each continent) and attempt to become the most successful manager not just that the world has ever seen, but that each continent has ever seen by reaching the top of the Hall of Fame tables for each continent.

To begin with you would choose a continent to start your career off. Reputation for the manager would be set at Automatic and you would start at the lowest division in the country you chose for that continent.

For example, if I decided to start in Europe and picked England as the country to conquer Europe from I would load all down the the Blue Square N/S and pick a team from that league. The 5 countries I pick on other continents would only have the top league loaded.

This allows people to set their own difficulty level as they may decide to start in a country with few leagues to make it easier to get to the top or they could make it more difficult for themselves.

Another factor in making things difficult would be the countries you choose. In Europe, countries such as England, Spain and Italy give many more points on the Hall of Fame for winning domestic titles than countries with lower reputation. The same goes for Brazil and Argentina in South America. If people wanted to make things really hard they would pick countries such as Chile or Romania that may require many more domestic titles to reach the top of the Hall of Fame.

International management would be allowed if you earned the job.

On my game I noticed that Oceania had no Hall of Fame so for that continent all that would be required would be to top the nation of Australia's Hall of Fame.

An example of a possible choice of leagues is as follows...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Europe - England (To BSN/S as starting nation for challenge)<LI>Asia - Indian National Football League <LI>Africa - South African Premier League <LI>North America - Mexican First Division <LI>Oceania - Australian Hyundai A-League <LI>Peru - First Division

icon_smile.gif This is my first real idea to do anything on here so anything feedback would be appreciated. I'd like to know if it would be something anyone other than myself would actually be willing to give a go.

I'm also hoping that I haven't been completely stupid and come up with something that isn't actually possible! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope this hasn't been suggested i have looked but feel free to corect me if im wrong

my challenge would be that you must start as reputation sunday league and must load at least 5 leagues and the challendge will be to win 5 countries top division and win one euro cup and one champians league.

so what do u think???

Hello everyone,

On FMDiscussion I am currently running a sign-up/user action game. It is basically where I will manage a team of the sign-ups choice and they will make the crucial decisions. Players suggest to buy, what the expectations should be, what to offer youth players and if I should scrap the reserves. It would be like the MyFootballClub.com thing going on but based in FM. The thing is over there it is a small community so now many people want to do it. I am currently using the PM system which obviously can't be used on here. So any ideas/suggestion/helpers would be appreciated.

Also I am contemplating whether or not I should upload the save game every week. People will go through the database looking for players and the such or improving the tactics and training, like coaches and scouts. I feel this isn't like a sign-up or a challenge or a holiday game but a good addition to this forum.

So once again any advice, suggestion and helpers would be appreciated.

Hi everyone, this is my idea

Win all trophies in England:

Blue Square Premier

Blue Square North or South (or if you want both!)

League One and Two

Championship

Premiership

FA Cup

League Cup

Johnstones Paint Trophy

Setanta Shield

FA Trophy

Charity Shield

(have I missed out any trophies?)

You could do it with one team or as many teams as you want. Start unemployed, automatic experience and go from there.

It will be interesting to see if anyone does manage it.

For example, you might get promotion from one of the leagues but you have to revisit the league again to win promotion as champions!

With another team? G

et relegated to ensure you come back up as champions?

Make sure you don't go up unless you can finish as champions?!!

What do you guys think?

I have an idea for an AI Experiment, i don't have any interest in running it, as i already have a sign up, but for people like kipfish it seems a good idea.

What Does The Board Care About?

Okay so it is like this, you could do it at a club like Chelsea or Liverpool. You have two different versions. One the fans confidence in the manager is 1, and the board is 100. And in the other the fans is 100, and the board is 1. Just wondering what outcome in the experiment would be.

Okay, I know there have been a lot of ideas put forward recently, but I really feel this is a quite different challenge option.

The State Hopping Challenge

The aim of the challenge would be to win all of the 27 State Championships in Brazil, plus to win the Brazilian Cup and First Division with any club.

You would have to start unemployed and make your way through all the states.

I feel this could be quite interesting as it would be a long career game with the opportunity to play in a lot of different types of competition formats (Each state has its own crazy rules). It would be perfect for people that enjoy a bit of club hopping!!

This is only a basic outline, but if people show an interest I would develop the idea, so any feedback would be appreciated icon14.gif

Just wondering if there would be interest in an Italian version of Gundo/Dafuge's challenge? Something a bit easier than Gundo's but based in a bigger nation like Italy, France, Holland or Spain.

I thought of starting a game in Italy, with the rules set down in these two challenges.

I know it is not exactly original, but I am curious if setting up a game in the larger European nations is of interest to anyone, as it is likely to be an easier challenge.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Tell me if this idea sucks too icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Alurny:

Just wondering if there would be interest in an Italian version of Gundo/Dafuge's challenge? Something a bit easier than Gundo's but based in a bigger nation like Italy, France, Holland or Spain.

I thought of starting a game in Italy, with the rules set down in these two challenges.

I know it is not exactly original, but I am curious if setting up a game in the larger European nations is of interest to anyone, as it is likely to be an easier challenge.

Alurny, It's already been created here.

Originally posted by Gundo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

Alurny, It's already been created here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ta!

Originally posted by Vervatov:

Hello everyone,

On FMDiscussion I am currently running a sign-up/user action game. It is basically where I will manage a team of the sign-ups choice and they will make the crucial decisions. Players suggest to buy, what the expectations should be, what to offer youth players and if I should scrap the reserves. It would be like the MyFootballClub.com thing going on but based in FM. The thing is over there it is a small community so now many people want to do it. I am currently using the PM system which obviously can't be used on here. So any ideas/suggestion/helpers would be appreciated.

Also I am contemplating whether or not I should upload the save game every week. People will go through the database looking for players and the such or improving the tactics and training, like coaches and scouts. I feel this isn't like a sign-up or a challenge or a holiday game but a good addition to this forum.

So once again any advice, suggestion and helpers would be appreciated.

I quite like the idea of having voting for players to sign/the starting XI, etc.

Would be interesting if someone wanted to run it.

Holiday Game Idea

This is an idea that is still a work in progress, basically inspired by a few of the ideas I have seen around the forum. I am looking to set up a brand new team in the lower leagues for a long term holiday game. So I have been wracking my brains for ideas.

This is what I have got so far some any feedback or extra ideas would be welcome. A side that has a good spine of players GK, DC, MC, FC, with a few mediocre players, but the side with have feeder clubs from one top side in Spain, Italy and England. The backroom staff will comprise of out of work managers.

This is what I have so far and will hopefully add to the criteria, maybe by making it harder for them. I might not give them any money to start with but with plenty of room to grow financially and see how the club utilise that.

I may also use a save game editor along the way to mess around with different aspects of the game and see how they work out.

Leeds United Challenge

Thought this would be interesting because of the points deduction.

There would be a points system involved, with points awarded for final league position, goals scored, rounds reached in each cup, and anything else I may have missed. It's a vague idea in this stage, but I hope to make this a successful one-season challenge.

God I'm not the only one, but my idea is similar to this (see 2 season challenge thread)

Come on people sign up and see who can manage the same team the best

Originally posted by Andyh60:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by birdy123:

Leeds United Challenge

Thought this would be interesting because of the points deduction.

There would be a points system involved, with points awarded for final league position, goals scored, rounds reached in each cup, and anything else I may have missed. It's a vague idea in this stage, but I hope to make this a successful one-season challenge.

God I'm not the only one, but my idea is similar to this (see 2 season challenge thread)

Come on people sign up and see who can manage the same team the best </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted this on the 3rd of November. 8 days before you signed up to the forums. How is my idea similar to yours? If anything your idea is similar to mine.

In all niceness ofc icon_smile.gif

I posted this on the 3rd of November. 8 days before you signed up to the forums. How is my idea similar to yours? If anything your idea is similar to mine.

In all niceness ofc icon_smile.gif

Well I didnt see this when posting mine the other day did I but yeah of course you did yours first but hey what do you want to do?

Something like this may exist... But I can't recall seeing it.

U21 International Challenge

Basically, you take control of any international nation you want, and, using players that are 21 or under when you take over, win as many competitions as you can. Points will be on offer for certain competition wins.

That's a really rough idea of what I am thinking of, but I think you can get the jist of it.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Something like this may exist... But I can't recall seeing it.

U21 International Challenge

Basically, you take control of any international nation you want, and, using players that are 21 or under when you take over, win as many competitions as you can. Points will be on offer for certain competition wins.

That's a really rough idea of what I am thinking of, but I think you can get the jist of it.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Could be interesting, although what are the chances of getting sacked during the first couple of years?

Pretty high. You have to get the right balance of a team that has a good enough reputation to have good youth players, but a team not predicted to do too well in competitions.

A lot is based on tactics as well to cope with such a young side.

The only experience I have of doing international challenges are the San Marino double one and one they had for FM 2005. You had to win the World Cup with uncapped players. You let them get qualified themselves and you did the rest. T'was surprisingly easy!

I have an idea for a rival club/nation sign-up. It's still n the planning stages as it will require a lot of database editing but I thought I'd run it by everyone here before proceeding.

As it is possible to have clubs in a national league who are not from that nation (e.g. San Marino in Italy, Toronto FC in MLS, New Zealand Knights in the Aussie league etc), I thought I could create two clubs from two new nations. Both clubs and nations would be set up as fierce rivals and placed in the same league and continental federation. Then I create players by starting a sign-up.

The thread would then have two main points to follow:- How do your players fare? How long do they stay at the club before moving on? Who will make it to the top?

- How do the two clubs and nations fare against each other? Who will come out on top in the head-to-head rivalry?

I would set club and nation details to be the same to ensure an even starting point. I think it would be cool to be able to follow your players progress and be a part of the rivalry - that's why nations are included so even after players leave the clubs, thye will still come back to the national side to face off.

Would it be workable?

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

I have an idea for a rival club/nation sign-up. It's still n the planning stages as it will require a lot of database editing but I thought I'd run it by everyone here before proceeding.

As it is possible to have clubs in a national league who are not from that nation (e.g. San Marino in Italy, Toronto FC in MLS, New Zealand Knights in the Aussie league etc), I thought I could create two clubs from two new nations. Both clubs and nations would be set up as fierce rivals and placed in the same league and continental federation. Then I create players by starting a sign-up.

The thread would then have two main points to follow:- How do your players fare? How long do they stay at the club before moving on? Who will make it to the top?

- How do the two clubs and nations fare against each other? Who will come out on top in the head-to-head rivalry?

I would set club and nation details to be the same to ensure an even starting point. I think it would be cool to be able to follow your players progress and be a part of the rivalry - that's why nations are included so even after players leave the clubs, thye will still come back to the national side to face off.

Would it be workable?

Sounds like a good idea. icon14.gif

Certainly 'do-able', although for making a new nation it might be easier to convert an existing nation, ie: Pick a country that has few players on the FM database in it and then remove all players of that nationality.

Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DodgeeD:

Would it be workable?

Sounds like a good idea. icon14.gif

Certainly 'do-able', although for making a new nation it might be easier to convert an existing nation, ie: Pick a country that has few players on the FM database in it and then remove all players of that nationality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was planning to do icon14.gif. I ran a test this morning replacing Puerto Rico and Turk/Caicos Islands and placing two clubs in the MLS. It seemed to work but Puerto Rico weren't put into the World Cup Qualifiers so I'd have to pick somewhere else... I would put the national reputation up as well to ensure competitivity.

Originally posted by Walcott's Wonderkids:

Yeah I wouldn't use the MLS as they have picky rules about players in their squad. I reckon Europe or Asia would be the best nations to choose. icon14.gif

Yeah, I was put off in my test run. I thought I would give the teams a strong youth set-up to provide competition to the original sign-up players later on but with the MLS draft, no youth players seem to come through at the main clubs. Any suggestions on which leagues to put them in?

I'm running another test using the Dutch league (I think that will give a chance for the new clubs to do well in Europe but also offer the players a chance to step up). The countries may not be based in Europe, however... (all will be revealed at a later dateicon_wink.gif)

Hopefully, I can get this up before the end of this Easter weekend and have the full game running within a week icon14.gif (If I can tear myself away from Warcraft for long enough icon_biggrin.gif)

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

I'm running another test using the Dutch league (I think that will give a chance for the new clubs to do well in Europe but also offer the players a chance to step up). The countries may not be based in Europe, however... (all will be revealed at a later dateicon_wink.gif)

Hopefully, I can get this up before the end of this Easter weekend and have the full game running within a week icon14.gif (If I can tear myself away from Warcraft for long enough icon_biggrin.gif)

Cool, sounds like this could be a decent sign up. icon14.gif

I am something of a lurker in this forum, taking particular interest in the long-term challenges and of course the Bandits. Now sign ups do nothing for me - I don’t get the point, really – but have thought of something in between, inspired slightly by niresearch’s idea of others playing NapentheZ’s NI game.

Apologies if this has been suggested and shot down already.

I would say it’s either a relay, or if you like, a game of pass the parcel. Basically, a career game played out by a succession of managers.

In summary, it goes like this: the first participant will set up a game. They will manage a club for a period of say two years. After that, they upload it and pass it on to someone else, who sees how they can improve things over the next two years, and so on. Whoever is carrying the baton would post a report every few months and an end of season summary. Thus, over the life of it, each person gets to stamp their managerial style on the team (and given the breadth of views on tactics, players etc, that could be interesting) and brag about their successes and their influence on the clubs history. They would also need to prepare a team report, say who they think should be kept, dumped, weaknesses in the team, where things went wrong, etc…up to the next person if they take it on board or ignore it all. Kudos to those who get promotion, and fill the trophy cabinet, widespread scorn on those bringing relegation.

Without spending forever on an idea no-one might go with, here are some issues to be overcome and variables to be considered:

- Major issue: might be of little interest except to those taking part. Hence floating the idea here…

- No. of participants: it would probably be necessary to make a list at the start and assign an order, which would obviously have to be flexible to allow for other commitments. Do we have a set number (say 5 or 6) and each gets 2 or 3 stabs at it over time? Doing so might detract further from other people’s interest. Then WHO should take part? Maybe only particularly active forum members, therefore, by invitation (thus helping guarantee a well written story develops), or first come first served?

- Nation– I would say English as it’s the largest structure. I’m thinking a small club to big club theme….

- Club – either edit a new one specially, do it through vote or do it as per the Dafuge challenge? OR holiday for a few years and take over a ‘fallen giant’? (Might make the file size prohibitive)

- How long – I would suggest 2 seasons, 2 weeks (real time), or until sacked, for each participant. Gives time to make a mark and shape a team, but also keeps it moving. Or should it be ‘winner stays on’ – if you get promoted, you get first crack at the new league?

- The manager – is it Mr Challenges Forum, or does each person add themselves anew?

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: I’m swamped at work and really couldn’t do the organization initially…just sharing the idea. Also, I’m sure there’s someone with more writing experience here who could do it more justice….?

I personally think this is a great idea. This would make for interesting fodder for any debate about who is the best at this game we all love.

Only suggestion/change I would make is extending it to three seasons per manager. Two years isnt quite enough to make a dent and if you get the next two seasons and the person before you really blew it, could be very hard on you to make a difference ovdr the next two years.

I think I would allow managers to come back for more at the bottom of the list if they choose too.

peace

Cool idea icon14.gif

For a more direct comparison, you could have everybody set up the same game at the same time and give a time limit in which to complete 2/3 seasons. Then the best performing manager (could be decided by final league position, trophies won or hall of fame ranking) uploads their save and everyone continues from the same point. This way, nobody is waiting on someone else to finish and newbies can join whenever.

Cheers for the feedback. Sounds like it might be a goer. icon_smile.gif

DodgeeD, I also think that spin has merits but is different to what I thought of...it would be interesting, but would detract from the story element of it, making it competitive instead.

What I see is more where someone is reporting on their progress and you have a load of people questioning their decisions (especially the previous and next guy in line)...sort of like real management in that regard, but perhaps more an 'interactive' version of the Bandits.

Other random thoughts:

- would it be beneficial to start with fictional players to make it really challenging - esp to anyone who's done the Dafuge challenge? Or would that serve to detract from it?

- non-cheating rules would apply (including corner bug, but no nazi-style LLM rules on scouting icon_wink.gif).

- if someone wants to do it for a season only, that would be up to them

If I get some more feedback and ideas and find the time I'll put together a thread and think about kicking it off myself.

Would be nice to hear from some of the big hitters in the forum as to whether they'd be up for showing off their skills...