Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Haha, no problem, I enjoy the upsets, especially when its my team that is performing the upset, however I will be rooting for Duke against Nova because my cousin went to Duke so I feel more allegiance to that school than to Nova. And we have already beaten Kansas this year so beating them again shouldn't be too difficult.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, no problem, I enjoy the upsets, especially when its my team that is performing the upset, however I will be rooting for Duke against Nova because my cousin went to Duke so I feel more allegiance to that school than to Nova. And we have already beaten Kansas this year so beating them again shouldn't be too difficult.

Not many upsets this year. Well, there's Cleveland State...and the normal share of 12 over 5 upsets.

And my bracket is totally ruined. Thank you Wake. :p

I think UNC, Pitt, Memphis, and MSU will meet at Ford Field...

Here's an idea I was thinking about yesterday for a holiday game, but couldn't really think of a proper way to carry it out or present it. If anyone else is interested in giving it a go feel free to, as I think it could be interesting if done properly.

FOLLOWING THE ENGLISHMEN ABROAD

For years the English game has been inundated with footballers from all around the world playing in its top leagues. In particular since the Premiership era started, there’s been a huge influx of foreigners making their ways to England, with various levels of success. For every Eric Cantona with Manchester United there’s an Andrea Silenzi at Nottingham Forest, and for every Gianfranco Zola at Chelsea there’s a Marco Boogers at West Ham.

But in recent years there’s been very little talent going the other way. Possibly the most well known footballer in the world, David Beckham, has spent time in Spain, the US and Italy, but how many other big names have tried their luck overseas? Jonathan Woodgate, Steve McManaman and Michael Owen also all spent time at Real Madrid, and while McManaman won the Champions League there Owen and Woodgate had less success and have since returned to England.

In the 70s. 80s and early 90s it was more common to see English players abroad, with Kevin Keegan twice winning the European player of the year award while at Hamburg, Gary Lineker enjoying a spell at Barcelona, and Paul Gascoigne spending three years at Lazio. But with the big money deals now in England, in large part thanks to Sky’s influence, players are less inclined to leave the country.

So in this diary I’m going to follow a number of English players who ply their trade elsewhere. Obviously due to the large amounts I can’t keep tracks on all of them, but I’ll keep updates on the bigger names, as well as any youngsters with potential. When the regens start coming through I’ll see if there are any talents coming through the academies in foreign countries which I’ll also keep an eye on. Again due to the large numbers, and for my own sanity, I won’t be tracking the English playing in the other British leagues. It will only be players with English as their first nationality for now, regens may include second depending on numbers.

Obviously the likes of D-Beck, Colin Kazim-Richards at Fenerbache and Robbie Fowler at Queensland Roar are the main ones at the moment, along with Tyrone Mears and Matty Derbyshire on loan at Marseille and Olympiakos, but after a few more seasons it would get more interesting as more names make their way abroad and regens start coming through elsewhere.

I like the idea aswell mate. Especially Kazim-Richards who had a fantastic last season in Turkey. It will be hard to track Robbie Fowler, as North Queensland are not currently on FC due to them being a new team to the league that will not start until August.

I had an idea for a sign-up that i wanted to run past you before just going ahead with it, whilst reading up on Nations that don't have FIFA recognition but still play there own tournaments like the one's run by the Nouvelle Federation-Board i came accross the Romani peoples Nation and thought how cool it would be to have an International football team that didn't even have it's own country (and not just like Palestine) but an entire nation of refugees (travellers, Gypsy's, Bohemians whatever you call them where your from). I've spent alot of spare time in the last week or so playing around with the editor testing a few of the ideas i'd need (i still want to run an holiday tonight has a final test) but the basic idea is to run the Nation with people submitting there own players and to also run possibly 4 clubs in 4 different league's to represent the geographic diversity of the people i'd personaly manage the Nation i think and update how everyone's players are donig.

So make sense? I hope so any questions and advice would be well recieved and well needed, cheers.

thought how cool it would be to have an International football team that didn't even have it's own country

How does that work in the editor, can you assign a team to no country?

Otherwise I think it's a good idea, you might want to re-think controlling the national side as it will obviously add time to the updates and could be dificult to keep fair whilst trying to get the best results, up to you though.

The way i've set it up so far is to use CIS set has based in central europe and adding 4 new City's to create the regens with the rough longtitude and lattitude of neighbourhoods or areas frequented by Romani. I've also found a list of famous Romani descendants who have become footballers who i'm going to give Romani Nation has a second Nationality

Guest roberto922

Then stick to that one, people are getting annoyed by the fact that they sign up to your sign ups and then a couple of weeks later you're bored of it and you've moved onto a new sign up

I doubt you'll be able to get 16 people to sign up for it, because:

a) You start a sign-up at least once a week, the same number of sign-ups you give up.

b) The quality of updates is very poor because you are not committed to it.

I have suggested it before and I will do it again. Just concentrate on one sign-up, improve the quality of your updates (just look at other sign-ups that have been runing for a while, and stay committed to it!

Yes, but how long did it actually last? Some sign-ups here last over 6 months and have some sort of pre-defined end date. You just quit your Man Utd sign-up so you were allwed to do another one.

And with the FM v FML sign-up you should have really tested whether it would ork beforhand or not. At the end of the dayyou still dissappointed a lot of people.

My Man U sign up had about 500 posts mate. The only reason I could not do my FMvFML sign up was because of computer problems

It is not about the number of posts, it is about the quality of what is going on in the thread.

Have a look at the links in here:

The Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games Awards - Voting Closes August 18th at 22:00

That is the standard that people really appreciate.

Guest mikeytwigge

first of all don't use text speak in the forum please and before you say your updates in your sign up are good take a look at some of the sucssesful sign ups like corinthianos agent one, dogeeDs island one and canveys american president one to see what a good update actually is (sorry to those people with great sign ups that wern't mentioned here but i couldnt list them all)

first of all don't use text speak in the forum please and before you say your updates in your sign up are good take a look at some of the sucssesful sign ups like corinthianos agent one, dogeeDs island one and canveys american president one to see what a good update actually is (sorry to those people with great sign ups that wern't mentioned here but i couldnt list them all)

Also see MikeyTwigge & LokedOut :) Gotta have your own credit too Mikey :)