Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the FA Cup final coming up, had a bit of random musing...

If you know the history of it, in the early years, between 1872 and 1883 it was won by clubs who (to my knowledge) don't exist anymore. Wanderers FC (with 5 of the first 7) are probably most famous, then there's the likes of Royal Engineers, Blackburn Olympic, and so on. Blackburn Rovers won it in 1884, and it's been won by established clubs since then.

So, would there be any interest in 'resurrecting' these teams within the game, and embarking on some community project to bring the cup back to them? Would probably lend itself to a challenge best, I think, with the clubs starting out at the bottom of the pyramid.

It looks like the teams would have to be edited in (me and the editor don't mix though), and I'm unsure if there's any way to link them to the names which appear on the list of past winners of the FA Cup, to ensure you get the satisfying message that you've won it for the first time in 150-odd years when you eventually get there.

So a few questions:

1) Any real point? Is it distinct enough from dafuge's challenge, other than the names of the clubs involved?

2) Any suggestions for how best to go about it?

3) Anyone interested enough?

With the FA Cup final coming up, had a bit of random musing...

If you know the history of it, in the early years, between 1872 and 1883 it was won by clubs who (to my knowledge) don't exist anymore. Wanderers FC (with 5 of the first 7) are probably most famous, then there's the likes of Royal Engineers, Blackburn Olympic, and so on. Blackburn Rovers won it in 1884, and it's been won by established clubs since then.

So, would there be any interest in 'resurrecting' these teams within the game, and embarking on some community project to bring the cup back to them? Would probably lend itself to a challenge best, I think, with the clubs starting out at the bottom of the pyramid.

It looks like the teams would have to be edited in (me and the editor don't mix though), and I'm unsure if there's any way to link them to the names which appear on the list of past winners of the FA Cup, to ensure you get the satisfying message that you've won it for the first time in 150-odd years when you eventually get there.

So a few questions:

1) Any real point? Is it distinct enough from dafuge's challenge, other than the names of the clubs involved?

2) Any suggestions for how best to go about it?

3) Anyone interested enough?

1) I think that it is a great idea and is definately distinct enough as the objective is to win the FA Cup, not the Premier league. So, this challenge could even be completed when your in the BSN(not going to happen but is theoretically possible)

2) I think that the challenge would be with Wanderers FC to win the FA Cup 5 times in 7 years. Not 7 years from the start but in a 7 year period.

3) I would be interested in participating.

1) I think that it is a great idea and is definately distinct enough as the objective is to win the FA Cup, not the Premier league. So, this challenge could even be completed when your in the BSN(not going to happen but is theoretically possible)

2) I think that the challenge would be with Wanderers FC to win the FA Cup 5 times in 7 years. Not 7 years from the start but in a 7 year period.

3) I would be interested in participating.

Cheers. Yeah that's true, you wouldn't actually have to win anything else. The only thing is with the vagaries of cup competitions, it's arguably more difficult than 'just' winning the league. 5 in 7 years would be tough going as Man Utd...

I agree, I don't even think in my most successful saves with Arsenal that I've managed to win the FA Cup more than twice in a row.

V True - I find it quite difficult, but the League Cup less so (less reputation so clubs don't try as much maybe?) - I have won the League Cup with Chelsea 4 times in a row, and runners up on the 5th. The same game I won the premiership 9 years on the trot but the champions league just once - shocking really :(

I am going to do some testing tonight / tomorrow for a sign-up idea I have, I'll create a league and cup competitions for around 18 managers to take part in, and there'll be an auction or draft for the teams, players and managers. After the draft is complete I will ask each manager to submit 2 formations which if I can get the database to recognise them as standard tactics will then be added as the preferred formation for your team.

If this is possible I think it could get quite interesting as you might not bother bidding high for strikers if your tactics were going to be 4-5-1, etc.

If there's enough interest and if I can get the idea to work practically would you all be interested in something along these lines ?

I am going to do some testing tonight / tomorrow for a sign-up idea I have, I'll create a league and cup competitions for around 18 managers to take part in, and there'll be an auction or draft for the teams, players and managers. After the draft is complete I will ask each manager to submit 2 formations which if I can get the database to recognise them as standard tactics will then be added as the preferred formation for your team.

If this is possible I think it could get quite interesting as you might not bother bidding high for strikers if your tactics were going to be 4-5-1, etc.

If there's enough interest and if I can get the idea to work practically would you all be interested in something along these lines ?

Sounds like a good... hang on! ;)

The range of tactics that can be preset as favourite for your manager is large enough I think - you might as well just give people the choice of them. The DB is set into "Preferred", "Attacking" and "Defensive" - I choose 4-4-2 as the tactic for everyone because that's how I arranged the players - If I had let everyone choose their own tactics and someone chose a 3-5-2 tactic, you'd need to make sure they had plenty of midfielders, and was something I wanted to avoid - i.e. too much messing about with assigning who has what player. 4-4-2 gives a good balance and you can pretty much give someone a 23 man squad with 2 players in each position (3 GKs, of course!).

Hi Hawkini, it was your sign-up that gave me this idea ! (Shameless copying!)

I had a look at those preset formations and i thought they were a bit limiting, but I get what you're saying about having 5 midfielders. There would need to be a fairly large squad or reserves to make it fit.

OR, maybe one of the tactics has to be some variation of 4-4-2 but still "your" created tactic, and the other formation could be anything you like ? (even the dreaded 4-2-4)

Hi Hawkini, it was your sign-up that gave me this idea ! (Shameless copying!)

I had a look at those preset formations and i thought they were a bit limiting, but I get what you're saying about having 5 midfielders. There would need to be a fairly large squad or reserves to make it fit.

OR, maybe one of the tactics has to be some variation of 4-4-2 but still "your" created tactic, and the other formation could be anything you like ? (even the dreaded 4-2-4)

It is shameless! I will expect a reserved place and where possible a mention on every post with a link to mine, LOL only kidding - although not about the link bit :cool:

Which league are you intending to use?

Just had an idea so would appreciate some feedback on whether its rubbish/been done before...

Quite a simple challenge, you manage Atletico Bilbao in La Liga. The catch of course is in real life they only sign Basque players, which is the case in FM too, it won't let you bid for anyone who's not from the Basque region.

The challenege would be under these restrictions, harness the fantastic youth facilities and careful Basque purchases to ultimately win La Liga and the Champions League to complete the challenge.

All thoughts welcome. :)

TanO, I really think you have something going here. Maybe what you could do is a fantasy draft style thing, where you open up most of the best players in the world, that way you really do get the guys drafting players they want for the formation they feel like running. Like draft the starting 11, then a five person bench, and randomly fill in the rest of the team? I don't know, but I feel like that might be the best way to do it with what you want to do.

TanO, I really think you have something going here. Maybe what you could do is a fantasy draft style thing, where you open up most of the best players in the world, that way you really do get the guys drafting players they want for the formation they feel like running. Like draft the starting 11, then a five person bench, and randomly fill in the rest of the team? I don't know, but I feel like that might be the best way to do it with what you want to do.

Thanks bergataur, I agree with you about the draft. It would take a little while to do it that way but would give chairmen the most freedom in setting up their team.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make a changed preferred formation work in the game yet. Even when taking a team who start with a 4-4-2 and just changing them to the games default 4-3-3 didn't have any effect :( It might be hard coded. Will keep testing tonight and see if I can make it work.

Just had an idea so would appreciate some feedback on whether its rubbish/been done before...

Quite a simple challenge, you manage Atletico Bilbao in La Liga. The catch of course is in real life they only sign Basque players, which is the case in FM too, it won't let you bid for anyone who's not from the Basque region.

The challenege would be under these restrictions, harness the fantastic youth facilities and careful Basque purchases to ultimately win La Liga and the Champions League to complete the challenge.

All thoughts welcome. :)

Can anyone at least recall if this idea has been tried/done before? :(

virtex - I think that it's one of those challenges that gets posted every year, and is unfortunately neglected. I think that if you were to run it well with a fairly detailed opening post, and attempted the challenge yourself to get some interest involved then it could get more people interested in the challenge and they might attempt it.

Only one problem, rather annoyingly in FM09 no matter how good your youth facilities are the absolutely best most insane quality regens every season won't appear at your club... You'll get mostly rubbish regens with usually one or two who can turn out to be average players in your league... I don't think I've ever seen anyone on these forums saying they've had a super-regen spawned at their own club :(

Thinking about reviving the Eurovision Striking Contest, which failed because my computer died, but i now have a new hard drive so it should be good now

Now thats a good idea!

This is just a quick jot down of an idea

AI EXPERIMENT

I'll create players (CA 100 etc) and then distribute them around various clubs.

Player One will go to Manchester UTD, however will have his loyalty set to 20, ambition to 1 but his favourite team as Manchester City.

Player 2 will go to a low BSS team; loyalty will be set to 1, ambition to 1 and he will have that team as his favourite club.

Player 3 will go to a BSN club; loyalty 20, ambition 20 and no favourite team

Player 4 will go to Hull; loyalty 20 ambition 20 and favourite team as Hull

And finally, Player 5 will go to Blackpool, loyalty 1, ambition 20, and Blackpool as his favourite team.

THE AIM.

(by player)

To see if Player one's low ambition will see him leave United or if his loyalty will stop him AND see if his love affair with Man City will hamper his progress.

To see if Player Two's love for his club and low ambition will stop him leaving.

To see if Player Three will leave the BSN team (low ambition) or whether his loyalty will stop him.

To see if Player Four's love for Hull and high loyalty stop his ambition?

To see if Player 5 will leave Blackpool despite them being his favourite team.

Obviously this is just a quick note but any suggestions (more attributes which could contradict?), constructive criticism (even criticisms if needs be) would be fantastic.

Looks good, but player 2 and three look confused,

shouldn't player 2 have loyalty 20? Or are you just seeing if the love for the team is enough?

Player 3 should have an ambition of 1 :)

But as I said, it looks interesting :thup:

I've always enjoyed playing around with the editor specifically adding new countrys etc. I've been testing how many of the unused nations in the game can be turned into new countrys and how many on each continent ... Now onto my idea (it's quite obviously inspired by PaulHartman71's The Inevitable Domination of Mediocre European Football clubs so hopefully he wouldn't mind this slight copying of a great idea) It's to make you (the sign upee:o) the Head of the FA of a new FIFA member and and edit 2 new clubs added into a to be decided league (a league nearest the country would be my thinking) they would get money to spend to change aspects of the club to start and we would then add 2 more signupee's to be chairman of the clubs. The heads of nations would get points for how far their nations football team gets in competitions and they would get prize money to give to their clubs chairman to improve their Training Centres, Youth Academys, Reputations and also maybe to Improve the CA/PA of youth prospects.

So what do people think? Would anyone be interested? Any more ideas to add to those i've already mentioned? I would also like to point out that if your in my current sign up don't worry i've no plans to end it.

Ok, I have been running my Anything you can do sign up for a while now and I have begun to think about what I would like to do next. I have a few days off next week and so am going to edit the database in preparation so that when the time does come I can crack straight on and get people to sign up.

The reason I am posting now is so that before I edit the database I can get some feedback and see if anything needs changing.

As we know DodgeeD is running STI v NTI, my idea is based along the same lines but has a completely different story. (I've spoken to DodgeeD about this and he has ok'd the idea :thup:)

It will be called Never Trust an Elf and will be based on the Lord of the Rings.

Basically somehow a group of Dwarves and a group of Elves have found there way from Middle Earth to our world. (I have already started writing the back story which will help explain this very random occurrence.) They end up forming two separate international football teams (again don't worry, all will be explained).

Now, obviously you can see the similarity between this and STI v NTI, but both I and DodgeeD believe the fantasy element will help distinguish it. Also, unlike STI v NTI they will not be rivals, they will be 'uneasy allies' (thanks DodgeeD :thup:) due to another third 'race' (no prizes for guessing, but will be slightly different to the Elf and Dwarf teams). I will ask certain signees to not be a dwarf or an elf and instead be a secret evil character (this needs fleshing out).

I will be attempting to focus a lot on the story element as that's what interests me, you will have to use Kosher Dwarf and Elf names (assistance provided :)) and I will be giving a background to why things are happening in a story sense as well as a footballing sense.

As I said this won't be going for a while, but want to do the database next week whilst I have the spare time.

All comments welcome :thup:

Thanks for the positive feedback, I have already written some of the background story, if anybody wishes to read the two intro's I have written I will PM them on request. (If they are too large I can always e-mail them.)

I've always enjoyed playing around with the editor specifically adding new countrys etc. I've been testing how many of the unused nations in the game can be turned into new countrys and how many on each continent ... Now onto my idea (it's quite obviously inspired by PaulHartman71's The Inevitable Domination of Mediocre European Football clubs so hopefully he wouldn't mind this slight copying of a great idea) It's to make you (the sign upee:o) the Head of the FA of a new FIFA member and and edit 2 new clubs added into a to be decided league (a league nearest the country would be my thinking) they would get money to spend to change aspects of the club to start and we would then add 2 more signupee's to be chairman of the clubs. The heads of nations would get points for how far their nations football team gets in competitions and they would get prize money to give to their clubs chairman to improve their Training Centres, Youth Academys, Reputations and also maybe to Improve the CA/PA of youth prospects.

So what do people think? Would anyone be interested? Any more ideas to add to those i've already mentioned? I would also like to point out that if your in my current sign up don't worry i've no plans to end it.

Just to let people know who haven't already noticed i'm up and running here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=128644

Places seem to be running out fast for Chief Executives roles within the FA's, but there is plenty of Club Chairman roles left.

An idea for a sign up (Probably not for me to run due to my track record but for someone),

My Football Club- A number of people sign up and are assigned a job to do with creating a football club e.g Stadium design manager(Create stadium name, capacity etc). Someone creates the database for us to upload and using the details that everyone has submitted they have to achieve glory with the club. It would make for great banter and also would be good to take part in. Feedback please

I think as you've shown with your 'example' the 'jobs available' would all be extremely small and something not everyone would agree with etc. It's pretty much under the same sort of idea as 'Real CSE' so I guess you could bring that back, well not bring it back and start it again, but bump the thread to try and get some excitement maybe.

Anybody know if there is a list floating about anywhere with a the number of teams and/or major rules for each of the leagues in the game?

Thanks in advance :thup:

Ok I couldn't find one so I'll use the vast fountain of knowledge that is CSE instead ;)

What I'm after is any leagues in the game with 10 or less teams, so far I have:

Hyundai A-League (8 teams)

And that's it, again any help is appreciated :thup: