Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest roberto922

Don't do it if you don't have much time, you'll most probably just end up abandoning it, happens alot

I know, that is my fear also, I see so many sign ups and experiments started that seem to be really interesting but they end up just dying off...I might just try it someday on my own at home for fun and then when I get a decent computer start a thread here.

Just a little idea I came up with that someone might want or be able to run with…now first of all, I'm presuming the in-game editor allows you to move players around different clubs?

Ok, so the idea is, participants create a striker like any regular sign up. The twist here is that, rather than leave the player to the vagaries of where the FM AI may take him, you would get to choose which country and for which club he would play for each season.

We have 10 countries loaded up, each player would play one season in each country, though in different orders. The order would be of your choosing. There would be a scoring chart for each country with points awarded for say, the top 5 (at the end of the sign up - ie, once everyone has played in all 10 countries), with an overall winner based on those points (and runner up prize, if applicable, for top scorer overall).

I reckon as a restriction, no two players could ever play for the same club.

There's loads of little extras that could be added, like bonuses for goals scored in their 'home' country (based on nationality chosen at the start), maybe a side table maintained for international goals and so on. I think it would be fairly interesting to see fpr example, which order of countries people think is best…eg, would you be better playing in a weaker league at the start when your player is on the way up, or writing off the bigger leagues by starting off there, and trying to blitz the smaller ones…

Any thoughts, feedback...anyone want to do it...

Guest roberto922

Right, quite a few of you said you'd be interested in the CSE Euros if I waited a while after the launch, I've cut the challenges down in size, to ensure that they don't take too long, I'm in the process of writing up some ideas, I just want to see who's interested.

Interaction is absolutely vital in this challenge, so I will only accept people that I see as trustworthy, if I say no it is probably not because of past events it is more likely to be due to me not knowing what you are like, the places available will be 12. I'll put a better set out of the Euros in a bit, the challenges are likely to take 3/4 hours of your time at the very most and will be set monthly unless everyone is finished before then.

You must have Football Manager 2009 9.3.0 to take part.

The list....

1. Spartans5

2. joetheref

Guest roberto922

CSE European Championships 2009

The CSE European Championships marked my entry into these forums, it was my first sign up and did reasonably well. Last time, the major complaint was a lack of time to complete the challenges, due to the fact that they were 1 season in length, so I have attempted to accomodate this with shorter challenges, less rounds and longer deadlines. It is a compacted, but I feel improved, version. Over the last year I've learnt from some of the best on here some tricks of the trade, I've tried to keep up with them in terms of playability in this challenge.

First off the layout of the tournament:

Group Stages - 4 groups of 3, each member will go face to face with the other members in their group once, meaning they have a total of 2 games to qualify for the semi final, only 1 person from each group qualifies. 3 points will be awarded for winning a face to face challenge, 1 point for a draw and 0 for a loss. Challenges will take place every fortnight, will be short challenges to ensure completion. Likely amount of time needed per challenge - 2 hours

Semi Final - The winner from Group A faces the winner of Group C whilst the winner of Group B faces the winner of Group D. Challenges will take place over 3 weeks. Likely amount of time needed: 3 hours

Final - The two winners face off in a battle for the CSE European Championship crown. Challenges will take place over the process of a month. Likely amount of time needed: 4-5 hours

Ideas

I am currently undecided on whether or not I should make custom databases myself and upload them for users, allowing me to create scenarios, or whether I should set challenges from the start of the season, meaning more convenience for the users but less flexibility for me when designing the challenges.

Perhaps one of the bigger changes in this years edition, I have decided that I will not reveal the points board for this years challenges, this will instead add a dimension of guessing, the user will need to decide for themselves what they believe is the best route to take, whether they should break the bank in the hope that league position is the main factor, or count the pennies in case balance matters and so on and so forth. This also means that there will be some element of surprise to the results period, whereas last year it was usually a foregone conclusion by the time I released the results.

I will PM each user at the end asking for the required screenshots, these must be PMed to me rather than placed in the thread, however discussion of how you are doing in the challenge is perfectly acceptable, and encouraged.

If anyone has anything else to add I'm all ears :)

Just come across a cracking idea!! (well I think anyway)

There is a thread over here in the Football Forum asking how the currenty England squad would fare in the Premier League, but all of the players would be cloned so that the club that the player plays for (ie; Manchester United- Rio Ferdinand) would not lose that player. So if I relegated say Birmingham back to the Championship and replaced them with England F.C or what-ever, would this work and would I get enough followers??

I don't plan to do it straight away, but maybe reserve it for the next few weeks/months until I get more time as I am pretty busy at the moment.

Just come across a cracking idea!! (well I think anyway)

There is a thread over here in the Football Forum asking how the currenty England squad would fare in the Premier League, but all of the players would be cloned so that the club that the player plays for (ie; Manchester United- Rio Ferdinand) would not lose that player. So if I relegated say Birmingham back to the Championship and replaced them with England F.C or what-ever, would this work and would I get enough followers??

I don't plan to do it straight away, but maybe reserve it for the next few weeks/months until I get more time as I am pretty busy at the moment.

Yeah thats a pretty good idea that, i vote rather than letting them have the same names as the player they were cloned from give them nicknames. I.E Rooney could be Shrek just as an example off the top of my head :p and David James can be Count Dracula (We all know he's scared of crosses).

Anyone keen in an international management challenge game? I know an Under 19 one has recently started but here is another one I remember being a challenge:

Get a random number generator to give you a number between 1-210 or however many nations are on the game. Then whatever number you get takeover the nation with that number as their FIFA ranking. Assuming that country has enough players/staff to let you manage them.

Any other international management ideas or interest?

International management is great because you are stuck with what you have, you can't just go out and buy a new team to get results. This makes you appreciate and learn the game more by fine tuning formations and tactics.

The most fun I have had in international management is in Africa, Asia and North America. This is because you can take a minnow nation but still have reasonable success in your area. Could also be used as the start of a career game.

thought this would be the best place to put this because I know some people upload videos for their sign-ups. Basically, uploading videos to Xfire (have no previous experience of this, but have seen some on there) provides quite decent quality, example. I know this is slightly off topic, but there's no point posting in the Forum Group as it is pretty much a ghost town.

Here is what a propose.

Big Brother Sign Up

The sign up will be run in the format of the hit TV show Big Brother.

24 Sign Up's each create a player.

19 Game Weeks (Premier League season will be halfed)

Nominations take place from Monday to Friday. Each member will pick to players to nominate be it for tactical or non tactical reasons.

Club Assman takes control of games.

If a player is 'evicted' he will remain in the squad for numbers sake. He will not however be eligible to win.

However their may be twists through the game in order for an 'evicted' player to be re-instated. This may happen if a user is failing to nominate regularly.

Users will have 3 strikes. If they fail to nominate 3 times whilst their player is still in the game, they will be replaced by an 'evicted' or 'replacement' player.

The game would run until early November - Late October. Therefore finishing in time for FM10.

Any questions please ask.

The Ultimate CSE League, Sign Up

This is an idea for a sign up, I have no intention of running it due to commitments to my current one. However I would be very interested in doing the database for it, leaving someone else the task of simply producing updates on it. So, what's this idea then? Basically, using FM09, I edit together a database which will contain some of the finest teams in CSE history, from FM08 and FM09. In principle, I'll take the 'save game' including each team and then using the original data editor, edit the clubs, create all of the players, staff and even you the manager. So, what does each club have to do to 'qualify' for this Ultimate League? Basically the restrictions at this stage will be as follows...

• Each club entered MUST have been a club you've used in any one of the small club to big club challenges
  • The club MUST have already completed the said small club to big club challenge
  • You MUST supply me with a save game to use. I will only create the players and staff from that specific save game you've supplied me with, so player x that you sold 4 seasons ago will not be created.
  • You don't have to supply me with your save game at this very moment, this project could take months to complete and find someone to run it, so if you've only just completed one of the small club to big club challenges, you need not send me a save game just now. (But of course you can if you want).
  • There is a restriction of one club per user (sorry).
  • You can use a save game from FM08 or FM09
  • Patches don't matter either

There are however, special inclusions into this competition. For any sign-up runners, that have run a sign up from FM09 or FM08 and have a club or International side (DodgeeD's STI & NTI for example) can be included in this as well. So if DodgeeD wanted, and still has a save game file from FM08 he could include both FM08 STI & NTI. Otherwise he'll have to just include the FM09 versions (that's if he wants to of course). Real London CSE will most probably not be included, because the majority of players in that had lower league standard CA/PA's. The only other exceptions at the moment will be the inclusion of the FM08 Southern Softies, and FM08 Northern Monkeys. I think the FM09 Southern Softies and FM09 Northern Monkeys could be included, but they'd have to be a last minute job if they were because we couldn't really include one of those teams until this years version is over, which is a couple of months away. Then of course there is the inevitable discussion with kipfizh about the inclusion of the Bandit's from either FM08 or FM09, and the Sheriff's from FM09.

So yeah, any thoughts?

Guest roberto922

The only sides I know of that I'd really want in thwere are:

Nepenthezs FM08 Knockbreda save

FM08 Softies and FM08 Monkeys

Bandits FM07

THeres obviously many more but I'm not really in the know about teams like STI/NTI

The only sides I know of that I'd really want in thwere are:

Nepenthezs FM08 Knockbreda save

FM08 Softies and FM08 Monkeys

Bandits FM07

THeres obviously many more but I'm not really in the know about teams like STI/NTI

DodgeeD's sign up basically involves two sets of players from two different fictional nations 'Southern Treasure Islands' and 'Northern Treasure Islands'. The FM09 version is virtually all based on the International stage, but obviously if he could provide me with a save game of the players in their prime (which shouldn't be for a few seasons yet) then I could edit each Nation's players into a club team. And likewise with Nep's FM08 Knockbreda side, and the FM08 Softies/Monkeys. The FM07 Bandits would be a bit more of a challenge since I don't have FM07, but if someone or even Kip himself would supply me with the 'details' of the players and such, they could also be included.

Guest roberto922

The problem I can see coming up with the originals is that they were designed to be perfect, they could annihilate any opposition in the challenge within a year or two when they get close to their PA, depends on whether you want the best teams from each challenge or a balanced league

I see what you mean with that. The FM08 Softies/Monkeys imo wont be anymore dominant than some of the FM08/FM09 small club to big club challenge completion sides. A balanced league would of course be nice, but I think we'll more than likely see some teams do a lot better than others.

Guest roberto922

Yeah, as great as they are I can't see Knockbreda doing *that* good.

Will all of the teams get equal reputation?

Fair enough, could put the Gundo teams pretty low down though

If they've completed the challenge then they would be previous European champions, it would be really interesting to see how they compare with the teams that have completed the same challenge in England.

do you think I should start an 'interest gauge' thread, or just leave it in here for now?

I think you should leave it here until you find someone who wants to run it, then perhaps have a 'sign up' thread to get volunteers for submitting teams.

I'd love to throw my Dartford team into that, but only after I've completed a few more seasons, I have work to do.

Ideally they would all be from the point the challenge was complete, wouldn't they? Just from the perspective that anyone who keeps going for several years will presumably have a far better team than anyone who's just completed it.

Up to Paul to lay down the ground rules though ;)

Looking forward to a genuine Monkeys v Softies face off.

Ideally they would all be from the point the challenge was complete, wouldn't they? Just from the perspective that anyone who keeps going for several years will presumably have a far better team than anyone who's just completed it.

Up to Paul to lay down the ground rules though ;)

Looking forward to a genuine Monkeys v Softies face off.

I haven't actually completed the challenge yet though, I still need to win the CL.

Paul, I don't mind running this sign up but it depends on the number of leagues I would have to run and the number of seasons it would have to run (not the best laptop in the world). How many league are you planning to run?

I'm not sure I could do it so people have to use the team that originally won the challenge, mainly because some of them may have continued playing, therefore being ineligible to take part, which seems a bit unfair.

el sid - Obviously depends on how much interest we get, but I think the minimum target is 20 (EPL only), and if we can get enough (which is unlikely) then (44, EPL & CCC).

I've had a pretty epic idea guys. It will obviously take an enormous amount of work, as much by me as the rest of the CSE community but here it is anyway:

The idea would be to start a thread offering any CSE challenge participant to upload their save game of their most successful team (ie. teams that have completed challenges, like dafuge's challenge etc).

From these saved files (limited to say 20 teams) I would then go into the editor and create my own database - mimicking every player, staff, club info, stats, everything from their team and copy it over to the new database. By the end of what I imagine would be a hell of a lot of editing, I'd have one almighty database containing 20 of the most successful CSE teams. I would then put them into one division on the game (like the Dutch as an eg).

Then I would simulate the seasons to see how these teams fared against each other. I'm unsure what the best thing would be to do for managers - perhaps give each user an opportunity to create their own manager for their side? The other idea I have is depending on time and availability of users I would run it as a sign up whereby each game week, the users in the CSE community would PM me with their tactics, selection and substitution plans etc. I'd then run the game and report the results for a whole season.

What does everyone think? Do you even think its possible??

;)

Paul I had the same idea a while ago and still think it would be fantastic if someone undertook it. I don't have the time anymore to commit to anything this size but if we could find a user to take a database and report back it'd be superb. :thup:

I will be building a new desktop this summer and will be taking it to school with me, so I would definitely be able to run this sign-up for a while and I don't think it would impact my running of Eurovision either.

I wouldn't have time to run it, but as I've said I might be able to do the database. At the moment I'm editing the 'FM08 Northern Monkeys' side together, but it's taken about 3 hours, with about 10 players and 10 staff left to edit in. This is alright timing, but the thing is I'm actually very interested and want to play a DB with the FM08 Monkeys team on, so I fear that I wont have as much motivation doing the other teams. But we'll see how it goes.

el sid - Obviously depends on how much interest we get, but I think the minimum target is 20 (EPL only), and if we can get enough (which is unlikely) then (44, EPL & CCC).

That's the number of teams isn't it? The number of teams doesn't concern me as such, it is the number of league I would have to run and the number of seasons I would have to run it for that do.