Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Originally posted by ridleys:

Has anyone ever thought of doing a seasonly Sign-up/Challenge/Experiment awards.

Not sure what Dafuge will think, and obviously if it was going to be carried out I would need his permission.

I think that with all the sign-ups and challenges being created nowadays it would be nice for people to be rewarded for all the hard work they put into creating them and carrying them out.

If we made an award system of some kind then it may inspire some users of these forums to create sign-ups which don't just after everyone hs signed up. Maybe if there is a hall of fame thread or something we can have awards like:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Sign-up of the Year

<LI> Challenge of the Year

<LI> Best Updates (person)

<LI> Most popular Sign-up

<LI> Most popular Challenge

<LI> Best idea.

These are just a few I could think of off the top of my head and obviously there could be more.

All comments and suggestions of how to improve are welcome. icon_smile.gif

I definitely think the annual awards will continue. Birdy ran it last year, I'm assuming he would want to do it again but I could if he doesn't want to. I think the end of the summer would be a good time to have it, so the awards are done before the FM09 demo is released (assuming there is one). Perhaps in a few months we could put an awards discussion thread up and get everyone's opinions on exactly what is wanted this year.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

I have an idea for a sign up/challenge.

It's like this:

20 people sign up for the challenge/sign up. The challenge last 20 weeks (could be changed), each week the 20 people complete the 2007-08 season with a randomly decided club, decided by a random number generator. And score points depending on there finish E.G: 1st = 20 20th= 1. And this continues until all 20 clubs have been done.

Rules

1. Each signer upper MUST play long term

2. Each signer upper MUST complete each season within the chosen deadline

Oh and each season would be the 2007-08 with a different in-game manager.

If anyone was interested I couldn't run it due to my commitments with the South American Striker Sign Up, and was thinking about doing it after, but tbh that would be ages away, so I felt like being unselfish and letting someone else lead it, if they are interested icon_smile.gif

I think it would be hard to find 20 people to regularly play a season a week. The monthly challenges and Wallace vs Roberts threads have been fairly short on people willing to take part and that just involves doing a season a month or so.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

I have an idea for a sign up/challenge.

It's like this:

20 people sign up for the challenge/sign up. The challenge last 20 weeks (could be changed), each week the 20 people complete the 2007-08 season with a randomly decided club, decided by a random number generator. And score points depending on there finish E.G: 1st = 20 20th= 1. And this continues until all 20 clubs have been done.

Rules

1. Each signer upper MUST play long term

2. Each signer upper MUST complete each season within the chosen deadline

Oh and each season would be the 2007-08 with a different in-game manager.

If anyone was interested I couldn't run it due to my commitments with the South American Striker Sign Up, and was thinking about doing it after, but tbh that would be ages away, so I felt like being unselfish and letting someone else lead it, if they are interested icon_smile.gif

I think it would be hard to find 20 people to regularly play a season a week. The monthly challenges and Wallace vs Roberts threads have been fairly short on people willing to take part and that just involves doing a season a month or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, true.

Was just thinking that I was bored of only seeing challenges you could do in the lower leagues and this idea came to me.

Do you think there would be intrest in a 'mega-club' challenge where you can go any club in any league and you get points depending on where you finish.

You'd obviously get more points for winning the Prem with Derby or Wigan than Man Utd or Arsenal. There would also be little bonus point type things, say for example you won the Prem with Wigan you are looking at 200 points but if you win it consecutavly* then you'd get 300 points.

The points system for the Prem (And al other top leagues) would be based on where your expected to finish and then scaled down dependingly eg. England would be like this 1st season if you win the Prem;

Man Utd - 10 points

Chelsea - 20 points...

Bolton - 70 points

Blackburn - 80 points...

Reading - 130 points

Man City - 140 points...

Derby - 190 points

Wigan - 200 points

You get the idea? (Add a 0 on the end of their expected positions)

But if Wigan finished 5th they'd get 150 points. (The rest of them will also be scaled down accordingly).

I don't know how I'd do the points for the cups, maybe just a fixed score of 100 for the Champions League, 75 for the UEFA, 50 for the FA Cup (or nations equivalent), then 25 for the Carling (or equivelent). (Any ideas welcome)

You could maybe get bonus points for getting on a players 'favoured personnel list', then more for getting on the club's. Maybe if you also won [insert no. of games here] consecutavly* then you get points too.

At the start of every season you'd need to post an S.S of;

Your Club Info Screen

Transfers (After the window obviously!)

Squad

At the end of every season you'd need to post an S.S of;

The league table

The Cup final (If you get there)

And just basically post a little review.

So, do you think there would be any intrest?

*I've given up trying to learn how to spell that icon_wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have an AI experiment that I thought of last night that I plan on getting started asap. Just thought I'd get some thoughts on it from my fellow forumites. Some of this is inspired by kipfihz and I've emailed him to check on a number of things icon14.gif

The plan is to create a number of unemployed managers with vastly different stats. 1 will be controversial, well known but poor ability-wise. His alter ego will be controversial, little known but amazingly talented. I have 16 planned managers at this stage.

The aim of the experiment is to observe their progress. They will all be 30 years old and I plan on following their entire careers.

Another hope is that we will see the offspring of some of these managers play and then go into management.

I plan on doing seasonal reports on all the managers individually.

So, a couple of issues I'm not sure of yet:

1)I am not yet sure whether to have one nation or 3?

2)Should the managers be the same nationality?

3)Should I remove some original managers from the game or wait it out until my managers get jobs the proper way?

4)Should I run this in full detail?

5)Should the managers know each other (through relationships in the editor)?

There's obviously still a lot of work to be done on the idea so any advice is welcome icon14.gif

1) Just the one nation I reckon, fairer that way. (Unless you plan on doing the British leagues in which case doing all of them would be reasonable)

2) Just one nationality.

3) Get jobs the proper way, but what level of reputation will you put them at?! As barring any special managers featuring high / low man rep that you might use in your experiment, they should all be at a set level (but not zero as that's random of course).

4) Yeah I would run in full detail if just doing one set of leagues or the British leagues.

5) No, keep them strangers.

icon14.gif

Ok thanks for the replies so far.

Questions 1) 2) 3) 4) and 5) are pretty much decided on now.

For 3) I've decided to let them get jobs the proper way. As WW alluded to my plan at the moment is to have 4 different manager 'types' - the perfect, the moody, the controversial, the disloyal for example and then to have seperate versions of them.

ie. Mr Perfect 1 will be v.low rep = 1 for all of them BUT he'll have CA and PA = 200. Mr Perfect 2 will be the other way around. High rep = 200 for all 3 and v.low ability.

My question is this: Do people think managers with very high reps but pitiful ability (ie. 1) will still get jobs? I suppose this is part of what my experiment is so in some ways this is rhetorical - although I don't want to create these low ability managers if they won't get a job icon_rolleyes.gif

Should I have the low ability managers starting at CA = 1 PA = 50 OR CA = 1, PA = 1?

Using FM Genie Scout I'll be able to look at the chairmen's hidden attributes so should be able to get some insight there. Although I've never used Genie Scout so its going to be a bit of a learning curve as I go along.

Originally posted by matty_8:

How about a Regens of Regensburg

Its a team in Germany. Saw the name and thought very fitting for a title of a experiment or challenge. Dont know what yet, ideas welcome

Good find. what about a challenge whereby after the first season their entire team must be made up of regen players? Not necessarily through their own youh ranks as that just makes it impossible, I would say.

Actually, just finding enough of them might be a problem, never mind their quality? Not sure. It would be really really hard.

After reading a lot of people grumbling over the quality of regends and how their attributes are sometimes spread illogically for their positions, I think it would be interesting to see if anyone can do anything with them right from the start...

Hello,

i'm thinking of doing a sign up, based on the USA elections. I would have 16 spaces,8 for those on the democtratic side, 8 for those on the republic side. These spaces would be filled by created clubs with preferences of your choice,they would be representing the candidates on each side of the election. There would 50 playing leagues-IF my computer could take that!-representing the 50 states of America. This is not a final plan, i may change it, but i was just wondering what you guys thought of it and if you had any ideas of how it might work. Looking foward to your response- Charlie Gooner

this for a new sign-up?

EAST STIRLING - NEW PLAYERS, NEW HOPE

Year after year East Stirling in the Scottish Third Division finish last but with a new squad of 18 year old -10 pa's things are looking up.

This 22 man sign-up will let people pick their position( 2 for each position ) names, day and month of birth and their nationality.

I will post updates of how their getting on, hows interested in them and East Stirling progress.

So what do you think?

I'm slowly working my way through a database based on this and was wondering whether anyone thought there could be potential for a challenge here?

Take a Useless Nation to Champions League and World Cup Glory

I'm currently working on a database where the worst nations from around the world have decided to enter the same league and enter their own national team players in it. I've started created the national 'club' teams, from nations such as Andorra, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein, Papua New Guinea, Maldives, US Virgin Islands etc.

This domestic league would be based in Europe, with all the players edited so that whilst they will definitely play for their own national team they can also play in Europe. All these clubs would start off with training / youth facilities = 10.

The idea of the challenge would be to over time take this nation 'club' to champions league glory over time, as well as its own national team to at least qualifying for the World Cup and then ultimate success. You would only be able to use players from your own nation.

I think this could be interesting in the short term just to see how well you would do against other nations and then in the longer term if you want to see if that nation could become a genuine world contender.

Obviously the AI would move players between nation 'clubs' over time, but I've learnt a couple of tricks to minimise this.

So what do people think? and what league does everyone think this should be based in?... I'm thinking Iceland at the moment. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

Just seen the awards idea. I missed it last year but its a massive thumbs up from me icon14.gificon_smile.gif

I'm quite looking forward to sorting it all out, there's been some great stuff going on in this forum in the last year or so that deserves some recognition.

Thinking about the June challenge gave me an idea but I'm not really sure how feasible it is. Does anyone with knowledge of using editors know whether it would be possible to create a Euro 2008 save game including the correct 16 teams in the correct groups? I'm sure I've seen it done in the past but would have no idea about how to go about doing it.

Thinking about the June challenge gave me an idea but I'm not really sure how feasible it is. Does anyone with knowledge of using editors know whether it would be possible to create a Euro 2008 save game including the correct 16 teams in the correct groups? I'm sure I've seen it done in the past but would have no idea about how to go about doing it.

I'm sure you could 'fix' the teams that qualify it in-game, but getting the groups exactly the same, I'm not sure, i'm sure it's possible. Maybe one of those in-game editor things?

Right, I have a plan. This will turn the leagues topsy turvy. Literally. I am going to reverse every team's position in the season just finished. So Man Utd will be the bottom promoted team into the Conference N/S, Chelsea the next etc, all the way up to Sutton United being the top of the premiership.

The same in Italy and Spain too.

Then I will holiday it lots and do seasonal reports. To see who can stay at the top, and how long it takes the Man Utds and Chelseas of this world to rise again.

I couldn't see a general discussion of challenges thread so I'm putting this in here to gauge reaction, check if it's already being done, and ask if it would be a good idea to set up some users as future regens using an edt file to add some random interest into it.

Posted this off topic as I didn't see this thread, was expecting a sticky icon14.gif

I believe that it may of been tried on a smaller scale a couple of times before but it's been abandoned by the person running it after a week or so.

It's a good idea and doing it on that scale would take a large amount of work but if you were willing to put in the work to run it then it would work fine. I'd certainly follow it and like to be included as a player or suchlike.

I'd presume someone with your experience on here would fulfill something like this and not just abandon it.

icon14.gif from me.

Originally posted by Poyplemonkeys:

Right, I have a plan. This will turn the leagues topsy turvy. Literally. I am going to reverse every team's position in the season just finished. So Man Utd will be the bottom promoted team into the Conference N/S, Chelsea the next etc, all the way up to Sutton United being the top of the premiership.

The same in Italy and Spain too.

Then I will holiday it lots and do seasonal reports. To see who can stay at the top, and how long it takes the Man Utds and Chelseas of this world to rise again.

I couldn't see a general discussion of challenges thread so I'm putting this in here to gauge reaction, check if it's already being done, and ask if it would be a good idea to set up some users as future regens using an edt file to add some random interest into it.

Posted this off topic as I didn't see this thread, was expecting a sticky icon14.gif

I did something similar myself, albeit just as a game I was playing myself in England.

Happy to send you over my edt file to save you some time if you decide to take this up. It'd definitely be interesting to read and follow.

To answer the question in the other thread I'll be leaving all the reputations exactly as they were. I also think I'll leave the league positions and prior league as they were. Gives the big teams in the bottom leagues an advantage that they deserve I guess.

I tryed doing this in England, I mucked up with the database though and found at that you have to change the previous league positions for the seeding of the FA cup or something.

I couldn't be bothered after that though icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with this icon_smile.gif I'll be following icon14.gif

That would be a great idea for the challenge if anybody knows how to do it (unfortunately, I wouldn't have a clue icon_razz.gif). I remember seeing something on the SI site for FM 06 where they ran the world cup as it was drawn without Rooney in the England squad as an experiment. To make it as challenging as possible, we should have to compete as Austria! icon_biggrin.gif