Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

bermybhoy This a very unique idea and think it will be very interesting watching it progress for both Users taking part and posters alike. icon14.gif

I personally would keep to real in game player names, for general interest of the thread.

One season only per User sounds like a better option aswel, just in the interest of keeping it fresh (even if it was like a sort of round robin thing, where by once each of the users have completed a season each it then goes back to the first person on the list).

You could name the manager after one of the Forum player legends; Danny Roberts, Kyle Wilson, Patrick Burda or Paul Wallace? That'd be a cool touch. icon_cool.gif

Just an idea but... you could hold some kind of voting ballot for things like what Nation to start in, the club (new edit/existing real?) and the level at which to start at ect.

Cracking idea though. icon14.gif

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In principal I like the idea although with a few tweaks it could be made very, very good game.

Right the set-up.

I'd go with a small club to big club challenge definitely, and probably in England. So any team from either the Blue Square North or South.

I think one season per manager would be adequate. I'm not sure on the number of participants but I definitely think that one or two of the more established members would be better to start off, then the less established but very active memebers.

I think 1 week of real time would be enough to fininsh the season but if the season is finished before the week is up then the next week and the next season can begin.

I think one manager would be fine aswell and 'Paul Wallace' is the ideal man for the job.

I reckon fictional players would add to the whole story side of it and it also means that people can't cheat and buy top players they know from other games to run riot in the lower leagues.

I play be LLM rules so I'd do it that way but there's no problem with anyone else playing however they like.

I think that's covered everything mentioned so far. Great idea and any questions or thoughts, just ask. icon14.gif

I also think this is a very good idea but agree that fictional players are needed because otherwise the people at the start will get an advantage as they will be able to buy all the best players. I think it would also add a real challenge if it was a small club to a big club scenario. One year per manager should be long enough but some people who are busy with other things might need longer than a week of real time. But overall this is a very orginal idea and i would be behind you if it goes ahead icon14.gif

Hi i hope this hasnt been done but my idea would be an AI experiment

The basic idea would be the team with the most reputation and the one with the least i would give the lowest rep team a great chairman and manager and i would give the highest ranked club a poor chairman and manager i would do the same for both blue square north and south .

The experiment would be to see what manager leeves the teams first but manly to see what diffrence a poor/good chairman/manager would have on a club.

Thoughts please.

Im currently thinking of doing a new signup, something which im sure and hopefully has never been done before but im i cant decide which league I should run it in

im obviously considering the big leagues such as england, spain, italy, france but would like to know which league, either 1 of them or another league will be exciting for a signup considering the ones currently being used already

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at a sign up for a while now but I’ve been struggling to come up with anything original however I think I may have something so I thought I’d put it in here and see what people thought.

OK so I know from reading the off topic thread a few people have been competing in BATracer, although I’m not entirely sure how it works it doesn’t take a genius to figure out it’s some sort of F1 game/simulation, whatever. As a keen F1 fan myself I sat down to watch the race in Bahrain on Sunday while I quickly checked to see how my guys were getting on in the sign ups I’m participating in. Then suddenly from nowhere I thought “I wonder if you could cross FM and F1 and turn it into a sign up?â€

So I got to thinking and after a while I came up with this idea. Basically we follow the F1 structure, we have the individual drivers or in this case players and then we have the constructers.

At the moment there are 11 constructors in F1 and as far as I know there are no leagues in FM with 11 teams so I set out to find a league with 10 or 12 teams and promptly came across the Scottish Premier League with 12 and the rest of the Scottish leagues with 10 so for my example here I’ll use the Scottish leagues.

So using the SPL we’ll have 24 “drivers†and 12 “constructorsâ€. The drivers will all be strikers created by people who want to take part. As you sign up you pair yourselves up and create the constructors, once you have your team you come up with a name together and then are both sent to an SPL team. Once all 12 “constructors†are at their respective clubs the season can begin.

“Races†will consist of one calendar month in FM, points are awarded for appearances and goals and deducted for cards, then at the end of the month the person with the most points wins the “race†and is awarded 10 points as in F1 2nd place gets 8 points etc. Then the next month begins and a new “race†begins and when the season draws to a close we’ll have a “drivers†champion and a “constructors†champion.

Obviously it’s not a completely accurate representation of F1, I personally can’t think of a way to work in any sort of qualifying session no matter how hard I try and obviously not much is going to be the same in these two completely different sports. But if you just think for a minute, a twisted ankle at the start of the month keeps you out for two weeks OR you get a bad start off the grid and drop 10 positions before you’ve got to the first corner. A dead leg halfway through the month keeps you out for the next 2 weeks and puts you out of contention OR you spin into the gravel track and hit the tyre wall, ending your race. You get sent off and handed a 3 match ban OR speeding in the pit lane and handed a drive through penalty. I could go on for a while with more with comparisons but I’m sure you get the idea.

Now although the two drivers will start at the same club it’s very unlikely that any of them will stay there let alone everyone stay at their starting club, however once your player moves clubs he is by no means out of the sign up, he continues to score points as before and is still in the same team as before.

Obviously the end of the season will bring about the end of our F1 season. Once players have moved clubs points will be scored until the end of the season wherever they’re playing so just because the players in Scotland have stopped playing it doesn’t mean players in Spain will miss out and they will still score points and maybe have a chance to get an easy win if no one else is playing (maybe that needs some thought as it might be a bit unfair, thoughts on that would be appreciated)

Also I was thinking that during the closed season I’d give you guys a chance to swap teams if your not happy with your team mate or you just don’t think the engine will make the grade next year icon_wink.gif But this might cause a bit of agro with people arguing over who wants to go where and such, so again thoughts on that please.

I think that’s all, obviously it’s quite long and I hope nobody has done it before because if they have it’s a lot of time I’ve wasted thinking about it and typing it all out but let me know what you think hopefully it’s a good idea if not, back to the drawing board.

The F1 idea is great!

Has anyone ever considered a team made up of current players' sons?

For Example: A new BSS/BSN team filled ( and managed) by footballers' sons.

The players would already be chosen but there would be no stats. This would be up the sign upies to decide.

Here are some example players: Brooklyn Beckham,

Jon Alonso ( Xabi Alonso) and James Owen

The idea would be to see how far they could get within the english structure.

Feedback welcome

Originally posted by Whoopy D:

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at a sign up for a while now but I’ve been struggling to come up with anything original however I think I may have something so I thought I’d put it in here and see what people thought.

OK so I know from reading the off topic thread a few people have been competing in BATracer, although I’m not entirely sure how it works it doesn’t take a genius to figure out it’s some sort of F1 game/simulation, whatever. As a keen F1 fan myself I sat down to watch the race in Bahrain on Sunday while I quickly checked to see how my guys were getting on in the sign ups I’m participating in. Then suddenly from nowhere I thought “I wonder if you could cross FM and F1 and turn it into a sign up?â€

So I got to thinking and after a while I came up with this idea. Basically we follow the F1 structure, we have the individual drivers or in this case players and then we have the constructers.

At the moment there are 11 constructors in F1 and as far as I know there are no leagues in FM with 11 teams so I set out to find a league with 10 or 12 teams and promptly came across the Scottish Premier League with 12 and the rest of the Scottish leagues with 10 so for my example here I’ll use the Scottish leagues.

So using the SPL we’ll have 24 “drivers†and 12 “constructorsâ€. The drivers will all be strikers created by people who want to take part. As you sign up you pair yourselves up and create the constructors, once you have your team you come up with a name together and then are both sent to an SPL team. Once all 12 “constructors†are at their respective clubs the season can begin.

“Races†will consist of one calendar month in FM, points are awarded for appearances and goals and deducted for cards, then at the end of the month the person with the most points wins the “race†and is awarded 10 points as in F1 2nd place gets 8 points etc. Then the next month begins and a new “race†begins and when the season draws to a close we’ll have a “drivers†champion and a “constructors†champion.

Obviously it’s not a completely accurate representation of F1, I personally can’t think of a way to work in any sort of qualifying session no matter how hard I try and obviously not much is going to be the same in these two completely different sports. But if you just think for a minute, a twisted ankle at the start of the month keeps you out for two weeks OR you get a bad start off the grid and drop 10 positions before you’ve got to the first corner. A dead leg halfway through the month keeps you out for the next 2 weeks and puts you out of contention OR you spin into the gravel track and hit the tyre wall, ending your race. You get sent off and handed a 3 match ban OR speeding in the pit lane and handed a drive through penalty. I could go on for a while with more with comparisons but I’m sure you get the idea.

Now although the two drivers will start at the same club it’s very unlikely that any of them will stay there let alone everyone stay at their starting club, however once your player moves clubs he is by no means out of the sign up, he continues to score points as before and is still in the same team as before.

Obviously the end of the season will bring about the end of our F1 season. Once players have moved clubs points will be scored until the end of the season wherever they’re playing so just because the players in Scotland have stopped playing it doesn’t mean players in Spain will miss out and they will still score points and maybe have a chance to get an easy win if no one else is playing (maybe that needs some thought as it might be a bit unfair, thoughts on that would be appreciated)

Also I was thinking that during the closed season I’d give you guys a chance to swap teams if your not happy with your team mate or you just don’t think the engine will make the grade next year icon_wink.gif But this might cause a bit of agro with people arguing over who wants to go where and such, so again thoughts on that please.

I think that’s all, obviously it’s quite long and I hope nobody has done it before because if they have it’s a lot of time I’ve wasted thinking about it and typing it all out but let me know what you think hopefully it’s a good idea if not, back to the drawing board.

Really good idea, the points system is very interesting, although you would only have around 9 "races" a season to start with.

Would the real F1 drivers be put in the database? Would be funny to see Felipe Massa or Lewis Hamilton toping the goalscoring charts icon_biggrin.gif

Not sure if this type of idea has ever been suggested or tried and I have no time to read all the sign up post and what not, so I will just put it out there and see what yall think.

I am currently awaiting my turn in the Wallace v Roberts sign up and the way it is being run hsa given me an idea for a larger challenge so to say.

Here is the premise: Pick any league you want to run this in and get the required number of managers to sign up. Once all the teams in that league are assigned, the game can begin.

The same save game file would be passed along from the first manager to the last (then back to the moderator/games master) and then a set amount of time would be run off and the process would start over again.

The person running this (could be a participant as well) could then post necessary info and news items and again the file is passed from one manager to another to make moves and the like and over and over and over, thus giving a new way of running a league with other managers without everyone having to be able to be online at the same time.

I envision a set period of days, say monday and friday or monday/tuesday and friday/saturday for moves and such and then off each turn goes.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Just an idea

Peace

Not too sure I get you - if I understand you right, I don't think it would work - if you have mulitple managers playing, it has to be on-line or on a hotseat basis, otherwise you wouldn't be able to move the game forward. The other main issue seems to be getting enough people interested...

Right chaps, a challenge idea I have just come up with after reading this guardian article. Half way down, there is a discussion on the record number of league wins with different clubs in the same country. It seems the record is 4 - so the challenge would be - beat that.

So just wanted some advice. First and most important - I don't have that much time and might struggle find time to try it myself (I haven't even finished a season of FM since doing my Wallace season), so might be a bad start if I'm not even showing strong involvement myself.

Second, assuming the first doesn't just kill it dead, any advice on ground rules welcome. I was thinking with the nature, no point starting in lower divisions, but it's there as an option. Guess it would be sensible to load them up in case there's no top division teams to move on to. Other than that...what once it's completed? Do it in another country? Take over the national team? Win the CL? Any thoughts welcome...

Hi i hope this hasnt been done but my idea would be an AI experimentHi i hope this hasnt been done but my idea would be an AI experiment

The basic idea would be the team with the most reputation and the one with the least i would give the lowest rep team a great chairman and manager and i would give the highest ranked club a poor chairman and manager i would do the same for both blue square north and south .

The experiment would be to see what manager leeves the teams first but manly to see what diffrence a poor/good chairman/manager would have on a club.

Thoughts please.

Anyone?

I've come up with a bit of a strange idea. Lots of celebs have children and what if these children didn't want to be in the limelight

My idea is a sign up game in which everyone creates a son of a famous person. The aim then is to see how quickly they can get relegated out of the Premiership and then ultimately out of the football league.

It's probably a rubbish idea but if anyone likes it i'm keen to give it a go.

The problem is, most people take part in sign-ups to see their player succeed, and do well.

For a lot of people, all the fun is in how many goals they score in a season, how well the team does, etc. If you remove this element, then people would be less inclined to sign up.

My "experiment" would be based around another users now dead experiment of switching the MLS and SPL around, so that we can see how well American teams do in Europe etc. (All four scottish divisions would be filled with American/Canadian teams, and they would become 'Scottish' Clubs)

Also, I would swap the A-League and the Belorussian leagues around, so that the Aussies can try to crack Europe as well! I'm currently testing how the game handles the American teams, but i'm unsure how long it could take!

Also does anyone know if there is relegation from/promotion to from the bottom-most Belorussian league (First)?

Just on a note about the continents challenge, the reason there is no Hall of Fame for OCeania is because there are no playable Oceania Leagues. The Australian A-League is an Asian league, they play in the Asian Champions League, Australia qualifies forthe World Cup through Asia and everything. So then there are only 5 playable continents, just to point this out.

Hm, on review, I probably should have posted the link to the FMS challenges in here. Apologies for that.

I'll take this moment to recommend the Lord of the Rings Challenge. Because I made it up. icon_wink.gif

Keep up the good challenging! icon14.gif

Hi I think i've got a good idea for a sign-up

i'ts kind of a cross between the F1 racing and south american strikers sign-ups

basically there would be 10 teams of 3 people and all the players would be scattered around the world ie. team 1 = someone at ac milan, perth glory, and kansas wizards

the points would be

club goal 5

club appearence 10

international goal 10

international appearence 20

and there would be a team championship and a single championship

this is my 1st sign-up

any ideas or comments would be appreciated

It's basically a copy of this isn't it?

Originally posted by Whoopy D:

Originally posted by adam426:

Hi I think i've got a good idea for a sign-up

i'ts kind of a cross between the F1 racing and south american strikers sign-ups

basically there would be 10 teams of 3 people and all the players would be scattered around the world ie. team 1 = someone at ac milan, perth glory, and kansas wizards

the points would be

club goal 5

club appearence 10

international goal 10

international appearence 20

and there would be a team championship and a single championship

this is my 1st sign-up

any ideas or comments would be appreciated

Why do you get more points for an appearance than a goal icon_eek.gif

Hello guys. I have a idea for a challenge which imo could interest many people and hopefully would be a successful idea.

It would be called Barcelona Academy Challenge and the idea would be to build a squad at Barcelona using only players that came through the academy. Then see how many trophies you could win. I'm not to sure on the scoring for the trophies, but maybe only get points for winning trophies when 75% of the squad is HG. Hopefully you guys will help

I will make a list of all the current HG players at the club (e.g Messi, Bojan, Puyol) and then another list of all the non HG players (e.g Ronaldinho, Henry, Deco) at the club , then a 3rd list of all the HG players not at the club (e.g Fabregas, Pique, Arteta)

So before I make this challenge I would like your opinions

Originally posted by jonahno6:

Hello guys. I have a idea for a challenge which imo could interest many people and hopefully would be a successful idea.

It would be called Barcelona Academy Challenge and the idea would be to build a squad at Barcelona using only players that came through the academy. Then see how many trophies you could win. I'm not to sure on the scoring for the trophies, but maybe only get points for winning trophies when 75% of the squad is HG. Hopefully you guys will help

I will make a list of all the current HG players at the club (e.g Messi, Bojan, Puyol) and then another list of all the non HG players (e.g Ronaldinho, Henry, Deco) at the club , then a 3rd list of all the HG players not at the club (e.g Fabregas, Pique, Arteta)

So before I make this challenge I would like your opinions

Going to start this challenge, even though no one has commented.

Has anyone ever thought of doing a seasonly Sign-up/Challenge/Experiment awards.

Not sure what Dafuge will think, and obviously if it was going to be carried out I would need his permission.

I think that with all the sign-ups and challenges being created nowadays it would be nice for people to be rewarded for all the hard work they put into creating them and carrying them out.

If we made an award system of some kind then it may inspire some users of these forums to create sign-ups which don't just after everyone hs signed up. Maybe if there is a hall of fame thread or something we can have awards like:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Sign-up of the Year

<LI> Challenge of the Year

<LI> Best Updates (person)

<LI> Most popular Sign-up

<LI> Most popular Challenge

<LI> Best idea.

These are just a few I could think of off the top of my head and obviously there could be more.

All comments and suggestions of how to improve are welcome. icon_smile.gif

Gentlemen,

I have had an idea for the following challenge and wondered if you might be kind enough to offer advice and opinions on it? See the full details below...

The Britain and India Challenge

This challenge will appeal to those who perhaps do not have as much time to play as they would like, or do not have a high specification PC. Having said that, there is scope for a very long and challenging game here.

British and Indian football:

It is now more than 60 years since India became independent of British rule. Britain's legacy is, of course, still huge*. However, in the sporting world only cricket has managed to capture the imagination of the Indian nation. Yet, India is home to the third oldest football tournament, the Durand Cup (after the English and Scottish FA Cups).

Of course, the Indian people have also had a deep impact upon British culture. Yet, sadly, I do not believe that there are any Indian players that are playing top flight football in England.

To add to the above, England, who gave the game (at least as we know it) to the world, have not qualified for the European Championships 2008 and are currently the laughing stock of Europe!

These are wrongs that must be put right! And guess what? YOU are the man to do it! icon14.gif

Summary of the challenge:

The challenge is separated into four parts with the main goals being to -

1) Improve Indian club football by having success, both domestically and in asian competition, with an Indian club side.

2) Capture the imagination of India by taking on the national job and steering them towards the knock-out stages of a major international tournament.

3) Move to England and establish a side of British players capable of winning the Premiership and Champions League, while also continuing in your role as an ambassador for

Indian football and promoting their players in England.

4) Take on the England manager job and take them back to the top of the world, ala 1966.

THE CHALLENGE - Full Details:

LEVEL 1 - THE BRITISH ARE BACK

Select the following leagues - India (NFL), England (PL only)

Begin by creating a manager with a British nationality (i.e. English, Scottish, Wales, Northern Irish).

Start the game in India, perhaps the most exciting, huge and beautiful country in the world. Here you have a chance to make your mark in a nation without a footballing tradition - so make your own history.

Holiday for one season and then select one of the newly promoted Indian club sides as your starting base.

To achieve the goals of this level, you can stay based at the club that you begin with or jump ship to one of the bigger Indian sides where you may have more success in attaining your goals.

To complete the level you must win two consecutive Indian Football League titles. You must also have won the oldest football competition in Asia, the Durand Cup , and the Asian club football tournament, the AFC Cup .

LEVEL 2 - THE INDIAN NATIONAL GAME

You must have won at least one Indian Football League title before beginning this level.

The idea is a simple one - wait for the Indian national job to become available, apply for it and then make them successful.

Here you have the opportunity to give the national side a style and philsophy to reflect the wonderful nation of India. They say that national football styles reflect their socio-cultural environment. What will be the style of

India?

The traditions of India are diverse, so perhaps you will choose to reflect the poetic and philosophical nature of India's history by playing with an attractive and romantic style. Or will you attempt to force you tactical philosophy upon the players. The choice is yours.

The goal here is to qualify for an international tournament, i.e. the World Cup or Asian World Cup, and then get past the initial group stages and into the knock-out rounds. Anything else here is a bonus.

LEVEL 3 - RETURNING HOME

This level must not be attempted until level 1 is complete.

Here you have the opportunity to return home in a blaze of glory after having success in Asia. You will manage in the richest and most successful British league system, the English Premiership. Your arrival in England might be

rather like that of Arsene Wenger - you will be an obscure manager who has had success in Asia and wishes to bring his knowledge to the English game.

The Premier League is awash with foriegn superstars these days but you are not taking that. You are returning to England to get rid of Johnny Foreigner and win with British players. However, do not forget that you also return as an ambassador for Indian football. You must also promote Indian players and bring through the first successful Indian Premiership player.

You may take over at any club you like. A bigger club may give you more funds to bring in the British and Indian talent you require however the pressure for success may make it impossible for you to embark upon a transitional period. A smaller Premiership side may give you greater opportunity to build up a British and Indian side but it may take much longer. The choice is yours.

The goal is to win the Premiership and the Champions League with ONLY British players (i.e. English, Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish) and AT LEAST THREE Indian players in the squad.

LEVEL 4 - ENGLAND 1966 AGAIN?

This must obviously be attempted after completion of the the LEVEL 2 Indian national team challenge.

The goal is simple - take the England team to their first success at a major tournament since 1966.

Simple 'eh?

So... What do you think? Should I start a new thread with this?

I think it would make an interesting challenge! icon_cool.gif

Sorry in advance for the inevitable typos! icon_rolleyes.gif

C.

* - Please note that this challenge does not intend to act as a commentary on the rights and wrongs of empire and imperialism.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Yes, I had thought of this.

Under my current 'design' you can already select your nationality as you please.

I think I could change the Level 3 and 4 challenge to be any British league / nation. Although the goals might have to change in these cases.

What are you thoughts?

D.

I imagine Work Permits would be ok.

By that point of the game you would have been, or perhaps would still be, India national manager. Therefore, you could target players that were international regulars. I think this is the main issue around WPs, isn't it? Number of international caps or, rather, regularly playing international football.

I was thinking of saying AT LEAST ONE Indian player in your side to make that part of the challenge a little easier.

D.

I think my decision on these two issues would be as follows:

- I suggest English (or Scottish), however you can play in any BRITISH league system, i.e. EPL, SPL, Welsh football league, Northern Irish football league - it is your choice but the objectives remain the same.

Picking Welsh or Norn Iron would make success in Europe extremely difficult indeed.

The deepest respect would go to anyone who managed to complete level 3 with a Welsh or Northern Irish side.

- Equally, when taking control of a national team, ANY British side is acceptable. This adds another element because, for instance, if you fail to win anything with your chosen home nation and you get sacked then you could have another go at winning a major tournament with one of the other home nations.

- Regarding Work Permits, I would advise that the idea of the game is to get as many Indian players as is possible. But you MUST have at least ONE Indian player who is featuring as a regular in your first XI to meet with the requirements of promoting footballers from your adopted nation (i.e. India).

How does that sound?

D.

Furthermore, to answer Minislavs other question, which I appear to have missed, I would accept any combination of British or Indian nationalities. However, I would advise that the gamer selected his true nationality if possible.

In other words, if you think you can get more out of starting with dual nationalities then that would be up to you.

D.

P.S. I am getting quite excited about this challenge - can you tell by my record number of posts in 1 minute. icon_wink.gif I will most likely raise this as a new thread tonight when I get home from work.

Any other comments are welcomed...

I really like this reworked version.

Well maybe true nationality for the first then your second nationality as Indian as I suggested.

Stage 3 won't be harder to do in NI or Wales for the people who do Gundo's challenge for one half. The other side is impossible IMO.

Nobody's done it in NI with any selection of players never mind just British.

I have an idea for a sign up/challenge.

It's like this:

20 people sign up for the challenge/sign up. The challenge last 20 weeks (could be changed), each week the 20 people complete the 2007-08 season with a randomly decided club, decided by a random number generator. And score points depending on there finish E.G: 1st = 20 20th= 1. And this continues until all 20 clubs have been done.

Rules

1. Each signer upper MUST play long term

2. Each signer upper MUST complete each season within the chosen deadline

Oh and each season would be the 2007-08 with a different in-game manager.

If anyone was interested I couldn't run it due to my commitments with the South American Striker Sign Up, and was thinking about doing it after, but tbh that would be ages away, so I felt like being unselfish and letting someone else lead it, if they are interested icon_smile.gif