Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest roberto922

Heres my situation.

A few months ago I posted an experiment about a bunch of the most talented U-18s in the BSS with Vauxhall to see how they'd progress, quite a few people showed an interest in it but at the time I didn't have enough time or patience to carry it out. Now I'm ready to play again but it seems to have been deleted on the switchover. I was just wondering whether it would be worth starting again? I was thinking of making a new team and stuff like that.

Heres my situation.

A few months ago I posted an experiment about a bunch of the most talented U-18s in the BSS with Vauxhall to see how they'd progress, quite a few people showed an interest in it but at the time I didn't have enough time or patience to carry it out. Now I'm ready to play again but it seems to have been deleted on the switchover. I was just wondering whether it would be worth starting again? I was thinking of making a new team and stuff like that.

Do you have a copy of what was posted in the other thread? Could you repost that and then continue with the original experiment?

If not then start a new one, it would be an interesting to see how it the players progress.

Guest roberto922

Nope it's completely gone, I'll start it again. First off I'll give it a test run and then prepare the introduction before posting it. Watch this space :D

Hi guys,

The thread bermybhoy created yesterday about new clubs got me thinking about the different type of extreme clubs you could create for one league in FM.

If he doesn't mind, I'm thinking about possibly doing a spin off AI experiment in relation to this, or just running it myself privately but I could do with your help for possible extremes. So could you can think of any extremes, along with lines of what is written below then that would be greatly appreciated:

In all cases, the club would have 'below average' finance / facilities / players for everything apart from their unique focus.

Type of clubs

1. Control club

2. Perfect youth / training facilities

3. Massive stadium and average attendance

4. Sugardaddy club but has really poor rep.

5. 11 superstar players, one for each position.

6. Massive reputation but absolutely no money.

7. Great manager with fantastic backroom staff, with poor reps and long contracts.

8. An amateur club.

9. Is the feeder club to 2 or 3 of the world's largest clubs.

10. In fighting within a club of talented individuals. (suggested by Paul)

11. Your physical sunday / lower league club - tall, physcial, unsporting guys who play on a horrendous pitch and play longball tactics.

16. etc etc

My idea is to put this into the Irish football setup, although if I / we can come up with more extremes then I may move it to another division with larger number of teams (although if that is the case I want to make sure there are enough ' existing normal but poor clubs' in it too make sure that make take the relegation spots.

So if any of you can think of a few more extreme clubs then feel free to let me know. :thup::)

Great Manager, Great Players, but everyone hates each other?

Good shout - in fighting within a club.

Also thought of making a bunch of lower league thugs, sorry battlers! They are all 6ft5 tall, play on an atrocious pitch and and physically dominating.

Keep the ideas up lads, the more the better - means I have a bigger pool to select the best ones from. :thup:

I've now increased the different types of clubs. I'm aiming for 24 in total, with the idea of starting this in League 2 in England.

Type of clubs

1. Control club with average of everything

2. Perfect youth / training facilities - edited into database

3. Massive stadium and average attendance - edited into database

4. 11 superstar players, one for each position.

5. Massive reputation but absolutely no money. - edited into database

6. Great manager with fantastic backroom staff, with poor reps and long contracts.

7. An amateur club.

8. Is the feeder club to 2 or 3 of the world's largest clubs. - edited into database

9. In fighting within a club of talented individuals.

10. Your physical sunday / lower league club - tall, physcial, unsporting guys who play on a horrendous pitch and play longball tactics. - edited into database

11. Great scouting network / knowledge

12. Team with UEFA Cup entry in 2007/08

13. Great morale + town attractiveness - edited into database

14. A team lacking in ability but full of sprinters

15. Wealthy, loyal chairman who has no ambition

16. Ambitious sugardaddy, but club has really poor rep.

17. A team of fading legends. - edited into database

18. Team where everyone can play everywhere.

19. Average ability players, but all of them are tiny (5ft2 - 5ft4 tall)

20. Team with either just central players or just wingers.

21. Club with huge debt at the start.

22. Technically gifted players but physically are poor and mentally are easily intimidated.

24. Existing League Two Club - edited into database

So as you can see, there are 4 more extremes I'm looking for to complete my line up in League 2 of 24 clubs, so anymore suggestions will be greatly received. :thup:

I like the idea WW. :thup:

Maybe one team with just central positions, no wingers or full backs? Or a side with only left-footed players?

Yeah like the idea where a team has just central or winger players at the start. Obviously will change after a while with transfers, but would be interesting in the short term. I'll add that in. :thup:

3 more extremities needed.

How about a team opposite to the physical Sunday League team like very good technically but very poor physical stats and are sporting, good temper, professional etc. Would be interesting when they played the physical team.

Also a team in severe financial difficulties and are on the brink of going into administration but are good in other areas.

Guest roberto922

Everything brilliant except the backroom staff? (inc. the Chairman) who are all terrible.

Huge Debt, huge stadium?

I'll try and think of a couple of others.

Thought I would give an update on the status quo:

Type of clubs

1. Control club with average of everything - edited into database

4. Massive reputation but absolutely no money. - edited into database

5. Existing League Two Club - edited into database

6. An amateur club - edited into database

7. Is the feeder club to 2 or 3 of the world's largest clubs. - edited into database

8 . Your physical sunday / lower league club - tall, physcial, unsporting guys who play on a horrendous pitch and play longball tactics. - edited into database

9. Great scouting network / knowledge - edited into database

10. Team with UEFA Cup entry in 2007/08 - edited into database

11. Great morale + town attractiveness - edited into database

12. Wealthy, loyal chairman who has no ambition - edited into database

13. Ambitious sugardaddy, but club has really poor rep - edited into database

14. A team of fading legends. - edited into database

15. Club which everyone hates and they hate everyone - edited into database

16. 11 superstar players, one for each position, but with terrible backroom staff - edited into database

17. Club with huge debt at the start - edited into database

18. Like the control side, but with a synthetic pitch to test if this affects results - edited into database

19. Team which is effectively run by another, much richer, foreign club - edited into database

20. Great manager with fantastic backroom staff, with poor reps and long contracts.

21. A team lacking in ability but full of sprinters

22. Team where everyone can play everywhere.

23. In fighting within a club of talented individuals.

24. Technically gifted, small players but physically are weak and mentally are easily intimidated.

I've now created 19/24 of the clubs so far and I've run a season's trial and the results are quite interesting. Will be even better when all of the teams are edited into the database so everyone can compete against each other.

Frazza Pee - cheers for the idea, I think idea is being incorporated into other sides within the league.

The list of teams is now complete, hopefully will have the experiment up and running by the middle of the week. :thup:

I was just trying to think up of some ideas

Maybe a team with low morale or high morale

Maybe a team that are rivals with all the other teams in the league or are really disliked by other players/managers etc

Maybe a team whose own players hate the club

That is all I can think of.

Just to let you know about No.19 team with small players. The idea in theory is good but I think height and weight in the game are purely cosmetic. Maybe you could make them have poor jumping and heading as well as been small.

I did not notice your above post about having an idea now. That is a good idea as well. That will be interesting what difference a synthethic pitch makes if any.

Maybe a team with low morale or high morale

I have a team of high morale. :thup:

Maybe a team that are rivals with all the other teams in the league or are really disliked by other players/managers etc

Interesting idea, that could easily replace one of the other ones. :)

Maybe a team whose own players hate the club

Thinking of incorporating this into the 'infighting' club.

Just to let you know about No.19 team with small players. The idea in theory is good but I think height and weight in the game are purely cosmetic. Maybe you could make them have poor jumping and heading as well as been small.

Yeah thats a good shout now I think about it. In which case, I will probably merge the short players with poor jumping into the good technical team, replacing it with the 'everyone hates this club' club.

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. :)

Does this challenge idea sound reasonable, or too much hassle?

------

The Junior Lewis Phenomenon

Some players' careers seem inextricably linked to a manager. Nothing too unusual there as everyone managing, even in FM, has their favourites, I'm sure. However, sometimes, these pass beyond being understandable into the realm of the bizarre, where the manager takes the player far beyond their abilities yet fails to notice their lack of ability - we call this the Junior Lewis phenomenon.

Lewis' playing career began at Dover, a level that his ability would probably seem reasonable for, but fate and then Dover manager Peter Taylor had other things in mind. Lewis was signed by Taylor for Gillingham and then followed him to then-Premiership Leicester, where he was astronomically out of his depth and played a crucial part in destroying a formerly successful side. From there, Taylor signed him repeatedly - in total Lewis played for Taylor at six different clubs and since retiring has recently joined Taylor's coaching staff at Wycombe.

The aim of this challenge is to beat that record. In other words, its not to become the most succesful manager, but to have the most successful tag-along player.

Useless Follower is a seventeen year old striker on a free transfer, with a current ability and potential ability of one. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take him to the top. You will have an automatic background, a random team from the Championship to the Conference National (press random until it gives you a club in that range) to manage, and a whole load of dead weight.

Rules: If available for selection, Useless Follower should always be picked. If you move clubs, Useless Follower should always be signed. If you become international manager, you must always call up Useless Follower. Simple. Any database size may be used, any leagues may be used as long as all English leagues are selected.

---------

It seems quite amusing and I'm not sure anyone's done a "drag along a player with you!" where the focus has been on having an impossibly poor player yet, though it might just be I've not noticed it bcause it wasn't been successful. Will this work?

Part of the appeal is giving a good career to the worst player in the world - with that kind of ability he'd just be an average conference south kind of player. It might make things less absurd, but the dead weight is the challenging part of it. I dunno.

Thought I would give an update on the status quo:

Type of clubs

1. Control club with average of everything - edited into database

4. Massive reputation but absolutely no money. - edited into database

5. Existing League Two Club - edited into database

6. An amateur club - edited into database

7. Is the feeder club to 2 or 3 of the world's largest clubs. - edited into database

8 . Your physical sunday / lower league club - tall, physcial, unsporting guys who play on a horrendous pitch and play longball tactics. - edited into database

9. Great scouting network / knowledge - edited into database

10. Team with UEFA Cup entry in 2007/08 - edited into database

11. Great morale + town attractiveness - edited into database

12. Wealthy, loyal chairman who has no ambition - edited into database

13. Ambitious sugardaddy, but club has really poor rep - edited into database

14. A team of fading legends. - edited into database

15. Club which everyone hates and they hate everyone - edited into database

16. 11 superstar players, one for each position, but with terrible backroom staff - edited into database

17. Club with huge debt at the start - edited into database

18. Like the control side, but with a synthetic pitch to test if this affects results - edited into database

19. Team which is effectively run by another, much richer, foreign club - edited into database

20. Great manager with fantastic backroom staff, with poor reps and long contracts.

21. A team lacking in ability but full of sprinters

22. Team where everyone can play everywhere.

23. In fighting within a club of talented individuals.

24. Technically gifted, small players but physically are weak and mentally are easily intimidated.

I've now created 19/24 of the clubs so far and the trial results are quite interesting.

Hoping to be able to finish the database tomorrow and then do the initial profiles for the thread for Weds evening. :thup:

I have a small idea for an AI experiment, I want to create 22 players 2 for each postion in a standard 4-4-2 and put each of the players to a different club in the lower leagues in England, these players would be 17 and have great potential, but their current ability only slightly better than the normal for their age, but obviously stuck in the lower leagues they would be unlikely to fufill this potential, the next step is to make them all have positive relationships with each other.

As part of this experiment there are a few things I am wanting to check and find out

- Do Players who like each other drift together in clumps at clubs in the future

- Do the teams with the star strikers score more goals

- do the teams with the goalies concede less?

- Will any of the players make it as international stars?

Any other help or suggestions would be great.

I was thinking about doing a managers sign-up similar to Bambi's OOTP Sign-Up, except at Euro 2008.

The idea would be for 16 members of the board to sign-up and be randomly given one the 16 participants of Euro 2008 each (though this would be dependant on whether I could get the right teams to appear...if not there could be a Euro 2008 save somewhere?), and similar to Bambi's sign-up, they will each manage their side via one save. So they would send me the tactics, the squad they want to call up and team-sheets for the tournament and battle it out between each other to be the winner of Euro 2008.

Obviously I'd need to contact Bambi to get his permission to use his idea, but would anyone be interested in this?

I like the sound of the Useless Follower challenge, could be a bit of a more light-hearted game than most. Though 1 PA is probably a bit low, maybe a random value of -2 or -3 would be better for it to still be low, but allow some variations.

On around the 25th/26th of August I will be starting a new sign up, it's a competition-ish sign-up, but will also have fairly detailed reports on each player. I don't want to give away too much at this early stage, it is a Nation against a Nation, but for a bit of a change i'm not creating the nations. In-case dafuge is reading this I have changed that nation that you confirmed wouldn't be suitable.

I was thinking about doing a managers sign-up similar to Bambi's OOTP Sign-Up, except at Euro 2008.

The idea would be for 16 members of the board to sign-up and be randomly given one the 16 participants of Euro 2008 each (though this would be dependant on whether I could get the right teams to appear...if not there could be a Euro 2008 save somewhere?), and similar to Bambi's sign-up, they will each manage their side via one save. So they would send me the tactics, the squad they want to call up and team-sheets for the tournament and battle it out between each other to be the winner of Euro 2008.

Obviously I'd need to contact Bambi to get his permission to use his idea, but would anyone be interested in this?

As someone who followed Bambi's FM07 version and took part in his FM08 Version, count me in for this one wisla - sounds excellent. :thup:

On around the 25th/26th of August I will be starting a new sign up, it's a competition-ish sign-up, but will also have fairly detailed reports on each player. I don't want to give away too much at this early stage, it is a Nation against a Nation, but for a bit of a change i'm not creating the nations. In-case dafuge is reading this I have changed that nation that you confirmed wouldn't be suitable.

Georgia v Russia - The battle for South Ossetia?

Request for assistance

Hello everyone,

I was going to put this in the editors forum but I thought I would stick it in here as I think this has tremendous potential to be a cracking sign up or challenge. However, it will require a tremendous (not going to lie to you all) amount of preparation time using the editor, so I'm am looking for any help possible from:

a. Someone who has a fair bit of sparetime at the moment and in the next couple of weeks.

b. Has a basic understanding of the FM pre-game editor, or can work their way around it with my help.

c. Has a reasonable knowledge of international squads from around the world.

If anyone is interested in helping me out with the set-up of this database for a potentially legendary challenge / sign up then please send me a private message and I will let you know the details. :thup:

I have a small idea for an AI experiment, I want to create 22 players 2 for each postion in a standard 4-4-2 and put each of the players to a different club in the lower leagues in England, these players would be 17 and have great potential, but their current ability only slightly better than the normal for their age, but obviously stuck in the lower leagues they would be unlikely to fufill this potential, the next step is to make them all have positive relationships with each other.

As part of this experiment there are a few things I am wanting to check and find out

- Do Players who like each other drift together in clumps at clubs in the future

- Do the teams with the star strikers score more goals

- do the teams with the goalies concede less?

- Will any of the players make it as international stars?

Any other help or suggestions would be great.

Right so i am going to run with this experiment, I want to really see if star players that like each other will flock together. I am undecided whether to create a World Class Manager as well and see if he is able to bring the players to himself at some point in the future. I am going to base the 22 players on my current Youth Team in FML, using the names and positions. Their second nationality will also be that of their true nationality in my FML team, I am going to make them all one nationality, but I was originally going to make them all from a team around 100th in the world, but I think this may end up adding variables to the experiment. So now i am tossing up whether I go with a lower nationality, spread them around the world in nationality or if I make them all English seen as I am going to start with posting each of them as a member of a team in the Blue Square North to begin with. I will also when recording the data pay particular attention to these players playing against each other in "positional battles" so when a striker from my experiment runs into the Goalkeeper and so on. This will add a lot more detail, so now I have a plan for how to spend my weekend I am going to be busy editing 22 players into the database.

So points I need help on.

1) Nationality - suggestions, and also whether it should be large, small or spread around.

2) Potential and Current Ability - I am thinking I should make them high potential, but do I start them with low CA, something around the level they are playing at or maybe a level or two higher.

3) Contracts - Do I put them on long contracts or short seen as I expect them to move quite quickly.

4) Ideas for major things to follow in this Experiment.

I think that is the major ones. Any help will be great, thanks :) And I will run this experiment in Holiday mode, probably a month or so at a time.