Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes roughly they might be slightly higher as 1s keep getting bumped up. The point of this was so that the person signing up has to carefully pick their strenghs to conteract their weaknesses or they can leave it to fate to leave it random.

Now then, I am currently running a sign up with Robert, but for once I am seriously thinking of starting a sign up which I can run, without spending hours on updates and something which won't break my laptop trying to run.

Then I remembered the fantasy football thing that NepentheZ started. Obviously I will need his permission to use the idea, as it was his idea, but if I get permission I would love to run it. Obviously updates would not be as detailed as Nep's and it may not be as well run as his one was, but hopefully it will still be good enough for everyone.

What does everyone think?

Cheers PH71. Well, it failed for a reason, and I think if you're going to run one of these you'd have to turn a blind eye to people not posting in it because it's the way things are. Nep obviously wasn't happy with the lack of support and interest for what is a mammoth undertaking, and I wouldn't be happy either, but if you can grin and bear it that's up to you. Your best bet for some regular posting would be to only allow those who you know will post regularly to sign-up. I have to say that it's unlikely that I would join in with this, I'm famously lazy. That being said, though, if I did sign up, I would post in it frequently, and not simply forget about it. I'm not that lazy.

I must admit I was disappointed by the lack if interest in the fantasy football, Nep did a great job and although my team failed miserably in the first few games, I enjoyed the small bit of it we got. I can't find a good reason for the lack of interest and I certainly can't see any reason why trying it again would keep any more people interested than last time but if you think it's worth a shot then I'm definately interested :thup:

Now then onto my own idea which, although the idea came from a previous "failed" thread, I'm hoping is original. Basically it's an adaptation of birdy's “The Premiership Draft Thread, sponsored by the Magic Sponge, Bargain Hunting and Sheer Blind Luck”

I can see the sign-up process being a fairly lengthy one and it'd require 20 users who aren't going to do a runner after 3 posts but.... each participant is assigned a Premier League team and each participant gets to select one player from each of the other Premier League sides to join their squad whilst at the same time the other participants are stealing their players. Once everybody has made their 19 picks I'll get rid of the rest of the players that started at the club and you'll have to take on the competition with whoever you've managed to aquire plus whoever your manager brings in before the transfer window closes.

I've put a fair bit of thought into it and have more info than what I've put above but I think what's there is enough for people to see what I mean without going into great detail, if not feel free to ask any questions. :)

Yes maybe, but I don't want to waste my time writing updates, for people that don't show any interest. They will be wating my time and their own time. If they sign up, they should follow it through, and for a sign up like this, the signupees will be involved as well (eg. making transfers etc).

Guest roberto922

Maybe just not allow people that have been around since, say, 2006 and only posted 200 times, I think it would be unfair to rule out people that signed up last week or something like that.

I do recall on the GTA Forums there were social groups (similar to our social group) where you could only join if you had an average of 1 post per day. This would prove you were going to post regularly in the social group. Something like that would be the best way to police it.

In response to Whoopy D, I'm not too keen on that idea. It's obvious that players like Fernando Torres would be snapped up before you could say "Liverpool's Number 9", and that places Liverpool at a disadvantage. Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal would have similar situations. The only teams that would benefit are ones like Derby (assuming '08), but for relegation fodder they would have their players pinched. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Most challenges are about youth players how about

Golden Oldies sign up

Basically each person would be allowed to choose 6 32 and over players for their team and would be randomly assigned youth players to make up the rest of the squad.

OR

Golden Oldies Fc this team would replace Derby

Squad would only have players who are 32 and over in it and the aim would be for the player to win as many cups as possible and to do it only by using old players.

Birdy and I were joking earlier about C.F Leyendas (my FM07 sign-up), and we got onto the topic about how it ended, where in the sign-up we had a newspaper, and the writer (Jonny Kaufman) came up with a story about how the club was destroyed after winning another La Liga title by it's own players. However, we got to thinking that perhaps this didn't really happen, and the paper made up the story, which has led to an idea for an FM09 sign-up...

C.F. Leyendas - Revealing the Conspiracy

Idea

It's 2008, 2 years (perhaps 10-20 to make it realistic) since C.F. Leyendas folded after the stadium was destroyed and the players killed in an explosion, a conspiracy has been uncovered that C.F. Leyendas were never destroyed, and in fact the Stadium is still in tact but it was a false story published by the Leyendas paper "The Yellow Star" to get rid of the club. Sensationally, "The Yellow Star" planned to get rid of Leyendas and then persuade the Spanish FA to let them enter a team into the Spanish La Liga to replace the open slot in the league, which they did, and The Yellow Star FC was formed. It was also revealed that they took Leyendas' stadium, "El Agujero Del Fango" and renamed it "Estadio Estrella" to cover up the destruction of Leyendas' stadium, and they somehow managed to prevent anyone from realising this! Once the conspiracy was revealed, the FA couldn't punish the team as it was an offence by the newspaper, not the club. They could however, put TYS FC's manager and owner, 'The Editor', on trial for conspiracy to defraud and commit murder. However, as they police circled in on him, he mysteriously disappeared. A week later before the start of the season, The Yellow Star appointed the mysterious "JK" as their new manager. At this point, The Yellow Star (newspaper) stopped publishing for the near future.

C.F. Leyendas had been silenced until this day by "The Yellow Star"'s officials, led by "The Editor", a few players had disappeared over the years such as Riho Ruutel, Chidraus Saxauskas and Jonny Kaufman, though they are suspected to have fled and are in hiding from TYS and their people. The other players have also hidden, but have now returned as the cover-up has been exposed. They've been in contact with the police, however there is little evidence on who TYS' operatives are other than "The Editor", but even then no-one is sure of his real identity. The former players however, are now too old to play competitive football, and are rallying former supporters of C.F. Leyendas to help revive the club. However, with a lack of support and the former players' hope deminishing, former manager Luis Valquez reforms C.F. Leyendas and has them put into the Spanish Second Division B for the upcoming season. Using money from his time at Leyendas, he appoints a team of staff entirely from former players, and aims to rebuild the team completely and fight up the leagues. His main aim - to avenge The Yellow Star and knock their football team off the top. It'll be a tough ask for an ageing Valquez, can he still do the job at his age? Or will he have to put faith in former players to restore the team. Only time will tell.

The plan here would be to have members of the board to sign-up for the new C.F. Leyendas team, and fight their way up the league and eventually become better than bitter rivals The Yellow Star FC. TYSFC will be made up of fictional players who had links to the original Leyendas sign-up or have a spin on the new players names (though if there's enough interest they could also be made up of forum users), as suggested by Birdy, and they will have high CAs and PAs as they're playing for the best team in the world. The main question is whether anyone here actually remembers/was around at the time of the original sign-up, or if the back story would make any sense to you as you weren't previously involved or knew of it? It's a shame that the sign-up was deleted in "the purge", or you'd be able to take a look at that to see what I mean regarding The Yellow Star and the general Leyendas background. It would be possible for me to recap the original history of C.F. Leyendas as I still have the FM07 save, but it would lead to the sign-up starting pretty much as a story until it actually began. Great thanks to Birdy aswell for his ideas in this.

Sounds great! I wasn't around for that sign-up but I've heard in mentioned many times on the forum and I'm sure the same must be true for many of the other users who've started coming here since FM 08 was released. I'm sure interest would be high.

Maybe the deltion of the original Leyendas thread in 'the purge' could be incorporated into the new thread as part of the Yellow Star's attempts to cover up the past. ;)

In response to Whoopy D, I'm not too keen on that idea. It's obvious that players like Fernando Torres would be snapped up before you could say "Liverpool's Number 9", and that places Liverpool at a disadvantage. Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal would have similar situations. The only teams that would benefit are ones like Derby (assuming '08), but for relegation fodder they would have their players pinched. Doesn't seem fair to me.

I see what you're saying but while Liverpool may loose Torrres, Gerrard and Carragher they could also gain C.Ronaldo, Lampard and Kolo Toure so they're at no disadvantage at all. The whole point of it was to try and level the playing field so obviously I'd change the financial situations etc so that all the clubs were on equal footing and then when the process was complete, as you say Derby will be better off and Man Utd worse off but when you look at they Derby will have a squad made up of 1 player from each Premiership team and Man Utd will have a squad made up of 1 player from each Premiership team so they are no worse of than the other if you don't take into account their history. Plus once you have you're squad of 19 everyone else who started at the club gets released so there's no advantage to be had by being Arsenal, Liverpool. Chelsea or Man Utd who may have some good youngsters who might not have been picked.

Still if nobody likes the idea I won't think anymore about it :D

Birdy and I were joking earlier about C.F Leyendas (my FM07 sign-up), and we got onto the topic about how it ended, where in the sign-up we had a newspaper, and the writer (Jonny Kaufman) came up with a story about how the club was destroyed after winning another La Liga title by it's own players. However, we got to thinking that perhaps this didn't really happen, and the paper made up the story, which has led to an idea for an FM09 sign-up...

The plan here would be to have members of the board to sign-up for the new C.F. Leyendas team, and fight their way up the league and eventually become better than bitter rivals The Yellow Star FC. TYSFC will be made up of fictional players who had links to the original Leyendas sign-up or have a spin on the new players names (though if there's enough interest they could also be made up of forum users), as suggested by Birdy, and they will have high CAs and PAs as they're playing for the best team in the world. The main question is whether anyone here actually remembers/was around at the time of the original sign-up, or if the back story would make any sense to you as you weren't previously involved or knew of it? It's a shame that the sign-up was deleted in "the purge", or you'd be able to take a look at that to see what I mean regarding The Yellow Star and the general Leyendas background. It would be possible for me to recap the original history of C.F. Leyendas as I still have the FM07 save, but it would lead to the sign-up starting pretty much as a story until it actually began. Great thanks to Birdy aswell for his ideas in this.

Sounds Rubbish

Only Joking ;) Love to be apart of it

Just thinking maybe it'd be better for my idea if I created 20 new clubs to replace those currently in the EPL and then the new clubs had 1 pick of the players from each of the previous clubs, that way it would avoid people taking the same view as canvey!! although I completely understand where he's coming from :D

Most challenges are about youth players how about

Golden Oldies sign up

Basically each person would be allowed to choose 6 32 and over players for their team and would be randomly assigned youth players to make up the rest of the squad.

OR

Golden Oldies Fc this team would replace Derby

Squad would only have players who are 32 and over in it and the aim would be for the player to win as many cups as possible and to do it only by using old players.

Take it my idea is **** then.

I want to start my own Challenge. The enjoyment Daf's and Gundo's challenge brings is immense, and I applaud that. But as Daf's Challenge is singled out to England, and Gundo has selected nations, I'd perhaps like to have my challenge as the N. Irish version of Dafs. Obviously, its hardly "my challenge" - as it comes under Gundos - but the majority of Gundo's Challengers play in N. Ireland, and a seperate challenge thread may prove wise. Obviously, this may take a lot away from Gundo's thread, so I'd basically like some thoughts on the matter of singling out the nation.

I've also got a couple other challenges in mind, which are for FM09 - But I'm finding it quite hard to come up with something original, interesting and challenging.!

I want to start my own Challenge. The enjoyment Daf's and Gundo's challenge brings is immense, and I applaud that. But as Daf's Challenge is singled out to England, and Gundo has selected nations, I'd perhaps like to have my challenge as the N. Irish version of Dafs. Obviously, its hardly "my challenge" - as it comes under Gundos - but the majority of Gundo's Challengers play in N. Ireland, and a seperate challenge thread may prove wise. Obviously, this may take a lot away from Gundo's thread, so I'd basically like some thoughts on the matter of singling out the nation.

I've also got a couple other challenges in mind, which are for FM09 - But I'm finding it quite hard to come up with something original, interesting and challenging.!

I like the idea of having different threads for different countries within the challenge, but as you say it would most likely take away from the main thread as a large number of participants are using NI.

Would splitting one coutry away from the challenge not lead to a thread for each country in the challenge?

Have you looked into starting the same challenge for a different continent that hasn't previously been started? I know that one was done for South America, but was one ever done for the Asian countries?

I was thinking myself that it would be nice to have my own challenge for FM09, but couldn't come up with anything. My main idea would have been doing something along the same lines as Dafuge / Gundo but for Asia, although I don't think it will prove to be as popular as the others.

I could do it for other continents, but the demand there isn't high, and it wouldn't get nearly as many participants as I'd like. The only other thing I'd thought of, is doing something practically the same as Daf's / Gundo's challenge, but with no real players.

I think some more stuctured challenges could prove to be popular as long as the goals are clear and acheivable. Take crouchaldino's 'Britain/India Challenge' for example. Maybe something along the lines of starting in a 'small' league with a new club and working your way through a 'medium' league before going onto a 'top' league?

I think if they do do that, we'll either have to limit the number of them, or wait till they all fade away.

Won't be a problem to be honest - you will get the usual overload of sign ups in the first few weeks, but you can tell straight away which ones may last any sort of distance.

Happens every year, after a month or so it goes back to normal. :thup:

Won't be a problem to be honest - you will get the usual overload of sign ups in the first few weeks' date=' but you can tell straight away which ones may last any sort of distance.

Happens every year, after a month or so it goes back to normal. :thup:[/quote']

Ah i wouldn't know that, i've only been around since March!

I'd say wait until the announcement next week' date=' that might give you a few ideas.

I can predict already that [b']if[/b] they implement the 'create a league' feature into the game then there will be a whole raft of sign up / challenges / AI Experiments based around such a feature.

That would be interesting. So would a more user friendly editor, which would also encourage more. At the moment it's a big ordeal to make changes.

My prediction for the game, fwiw, is a massive overhaul of the tactical system. Something intuitive, no mor slidey bar nonsense, with the ability to design proper set piece routines etc.

I'd speak to Gundo about that one since you'd basically be taking a fairly large chunk of people away from his challenge to yours.

I'd speak to Gundo about that one since you'd basically be taking a fairly large chunk of people away from his challenge to yours.

I can fully appreciate that, which is why I thought I'd air my views in here before just getting up and doing it. I'm fully aware that it could pretty much end Gundo's Challenge, and I really wouldn't want to do that. I just want a full blooded, successful challenge of my own. :)

I've been bouncing my own ideas around, and the fake players thing seems most logical. However, if what has been mentioned about Creating a league, That would open a whole new world of ideas up for me, and I'd definitely get a decent challenge running then.

While we are here, the recent idea I had of combining the career discussion from the club threads in the GPTG forum seems to have died so I'm think about ideas for career based threads in this forum.

We already have 'the career thread' which has basically been used for people starting at the bottom and working their way up, there is also the 'big club edition' which is here on trial to see how it goes. I'd be interested to hear variations on these types of threads, so people have more of a choice here about what sort of career game they could play.

Maybe calling it a career game is too limiting, perhaps we should have more threads based around specific challenges which would be based around games people would be playing anyway, for example 'win the league with a team outside the 'big four' or 'take a Championship team to the Champions League Title'.

Well a simple title would sort that out canvey!!. A thread titled "I am NOT the big 4 - Career Thread" - or something similar could easily help distinguish between them. Obviously, if 20 people made these Challenge/Career threads, we'd end up having 1 for each team, which wouldn't be fun. But it could possibly work.

I think you've misunderstood me Neppo. Right here, in this thread, we need to make a list of the types of save games that currently don't fit in to either of the career threads. Only then can we go some way to making decent and functional variations.

I think in order to create variations of career threads we need to say what sort of save games are being left out of the career thread at the moment that we think should go in the career thread?

If there were a series of separate career threads it could potentially be hard work to separate them. There would either have to be loose guidelines, possibly leading to arguments over who should post in which thread, or tight guidelines, which would be incredibly hard to define, leading to arguments over who should post in which thread.

It could be hard work to get up and running, perhaps the simple 'start from the bottom/don't start from the bottom' split is easiest?

Guest roberto922

A couple of suggestions:

The Giants career thread - I know this can be in the big club career thread but I've noticed that most people in that thread are going for Middle teams like Coventry, they take control of one of the clubs that are giants at the start of the game, maybe a minimum rep of 8500 to qualify?

Finished challenges thread - Alot of people complete challenges and then continue to enjoy the save games created for the challenges, this could be a thread for them to discuss their careers after they finish the challenges so that they don't clog up the challenges thread.

Sleeping Giants thread - Players take control of clubs that have been in the top league of their country (Perhaps just teams that have won titles etc.) but have, in recent years, dropped down the divisions and now turn out in one of the lower leagues of their nation (League One downwards in England?).

All One nationality thread - Obviously it wouldn't be called this as it's a terrible title but - This could be a thread where players try to take a chosen team to their Nations top domestic title using only players of the clubs nationality.

Career achievements - Perhaps an archive where everyone can post and update their season histories? It could be quite helpful I feel

Maybe we could have an 'international career' thread. I know it's not the most popular aspect of the game for everybody but several people in the two career threads we have atm seem to be getting into the international jobs and MadWoodster's Challenge was popular when FM 08 was first released. Players focusing solely on international jobs as well as those combining it with club careers could post in it to keep it as open as possible.