Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would there be any interest in doing something like this?

-Pick a club in a league that allows unlimited foreigners

-All your players must be from a country that is ranked 100th or lower in the FIFA rankings

-You can only have 1 (or 2 or some other number) players from the same country

-Try to win as much as possible

I need to test a few things to make sure it isn't too hard or easy or that there aren't any major issues with it (like how to get around the 4/8 homegrown players for the Champions League), but that would be the basic idea. I just like the weird countries!

I wouldn't foresee any problems you would encounter with this idea except for...

All your players must be from a country that is ranked 100th or lower in the FIFA rankings

FIFA Rankings constantly change so there would be no real way to monitor this other than to check every month when they are published and because of this you could end up with players entering the top 100 at any point during the season which I'm sure would cause quite a few problems.

Other than that, sounds ok to me. icon14.gif

I actually tried that once with Feyenoord. More like "have one player from every country" challenge.

The problem is that the chairman often 'advised' me not to sign certain players because they were 'not good enough', so I didn't go through with some of them for fear of upsetting the chairman.

Still, my reserves had numerous Pacific Islanders, with players from Fiji, American Samoa, Papua New Guinea, Tahiti etc.

It was actually fun. icon_biggrin.gif

Anybody interested in running a holiday/signup game which focuses on something like "flawed" youngsters? Potential superstars with some sort of failing in them.

Two lowly ranked countries, eleven-sixteen players each side; player-chosen superstats; plus at least 1 mental stat at 1. Players also dislike at least 1 country team mate (randomly chosen). Players must choose 1 fave club; Players can add extra good stuff, but always with a penalty: more players dislike them, key coaches dislike them (country coach or fave club coach).

And then, see which side is the best. As I don't have a recent FM, anybody interested in running this? I'm willing to flesh this out more if someone wants to run this.

I have an idea of testing how well the AI handles money.

I'm now 6 seasons in and about 6 clubs that are involved in the Premiership have gone into administration by this time with 3 this particular season (2 currently in the prem and 1 in the champ.)

I want to see how badly/well these clubs are managing their money and whether the effect of been relegated/ missing out on Europe causes real problems for the clubs.

It would work with me saving and then adding myself as manager of the each of the 20 premiership clubs to get a screenshot of their finances on the 1st September, 1st February and 1st June. I would also write a report on how closely it keeps to it's wage budget. When done I would simply reload and holiday until the next date.

I would try to run this test for 10 seasons providing there is interest.

Would anyone be interested in reading about this?

Two ideas are popping to my mind:

Challenge: Fly the Nordic Cross

I first thought of this during my FM07 save in Sweden. I found some clubs, former champions/cup winners of their respective country (Sweden, Denmark, Norway) rotting in the bottom playable league (that means SWE 4th, NOR/DEN 3rd tier).

- B93 (Denmark, champions 9 times between 1916-46)

- Fässbergs IF (Sweden, champions in 1924)

- IFK Eskilstuna (Sweden, champions in 1921)

- IK Sleipner (Sweden, champions in 1938)

- SK Gjovik-Lyn (Norway, cup winners in 1962)

If anyone knows more former champions in the lowest playable league, just give a shout. I excluded BK from Denmark, as they seem to be the reserves of FC Copenhagen now.

The Challenge

Take control of one of these teams. Please set your past experience realistically. Load up the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish leagues (all the way down). No additional nations can be retained. Database size is up to you (and your PC's abilities)

The aim: to take one of these clubs back to their former glory, with using players and staff ONLY from Nordic countries. These are: Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Faroe Islands. To put it short: the flag must contain the Nordic cross in it icon_smile.gif

The steps:

1. To get the chosen team through to the top tier of the given country.

2. To repeat their long-gone success: win the local top division's title

3. To collect the local cup, too. It doesn't have to be in the same season as the championship title. Neither has priority over the other, just win them.

4. Take the team to at least the semi-final of a European Cup. Winning, of course, is a bonus.

5. To take over the national team of the country you selected, and win a major international trophy (WC or EC) with them.

Guidelines:

- Only players that were scouted, recommended by staff/players at the club or trialled can be signed

- Staff must be all-Nordic too. Staff have to be searched via the job center, if needed.

- No external utilies should be used. DB must be unedited.

- Parent/feeder clubs are allowed

- If a player has dual nationality, he may stay at your club as long as his flag shows the Nordic cross. So if a guy has Swedish/Macedonian nationality, as long as his flag stays Swedish, he can stay. If he gets called up to the Macedonian national team, and accepts, he may stay as long as he has a contract, but no further.

- Same with foreign players already at the clubs when starting. I'm aware of the fact that (especially in lower leagues) releasing players is a financial burden, so they can stay until their contract runs out, should it put you in a bad financial position.

That's it about the challenge. Any comments?

---

Holiday AI Experiment - How far can the perfect staff take a team?

Of course this was partly inspired by kipfizh's classic AI experiment, and Jimbokav's Ass. man experiment, too.

We've seen how a team consisting of the perfect young players did. I've always felt that The Bandits' progress was slowed down by managers not up to the task, and an unambitious chairman.

I've thought about the following, to tes how much effect can the backroom staff have over the club's fortunes.

- "The perfect staff" will be added to the seemingly weakest sides in the English Conference N/S, with maximum attributes in their relevant fields+determination, list the club as a favourite, and have the same way of thinking about the game: same preferrd formation/mentality etc. Their reputation will be as low as it can be. In order not to get poached, they will have very long contracts (I'm thinking about 10 years, if it can be set) and quite high wages. Of course the club's financial state has to be altered a bit, in order to cope with the staff wages.

- The player squad will be as it is at the moment. No changes.

- I'm not sure if it can be done by an outside editor, but if the answer is yes, that could add another aspect. My thought is to set up two different chairmen for the clubs. One like Jesus Gil: the highly ambitious, high-spending, glory hungry chairman, with high interference and very short patience. The other the opposite: not interfering, likes to be hands off and just watch the team evolve - like the board of Auxerre, who left Guy Roux in the manager's seat for something like 40 years.

The questions:

- Given the perfect staff, how much of an advantage can it be for the two team over their divisional rivals? Can the perfect staff take such a lowly team to the Premiership glory and beyond?

- How much superiority does having the perfect manager mean in matches? Is he outsmarting lower league managers with his tactics? Or firing up the squad with well-made team-talks?

- How much of a difference can two differing chairmen mean? Will the highly ambitious chairman give everything he could (players, money, etc.) for the team, and how soon will he lose patience with the perfect staff, if things do not go their way? On the other hand: having a laid-back chairman is ideal for building the team and progressing slowly. But can he hinder the club's progress due to the lack of ambition?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Originally posted by smithers08:

just an idea .

start an unemployed career , repuatation of proffesional footballer , and try to work your way to premierleague glory.

similair to dafuges challenge , but easier icon_smile.gif

I think it would be better to set your reputation to the lowest possible, so you have to work your way up from the very bottom.

AI Experiment - Flipping England on it's Head

The concept behind this AI experiment is to take the current English league system and flip all the clubs from top to bottom so that the Premiership clubs begin in BS North / South and the current BS North / South clubs play in the Premiership and Championship. So the format of the English League system would now look like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Current Format How it would look

Premiership 20 teams The lowest rep 10 teams from BS North and BS South

Championship 24 teams The remaining, 12 highest rep teams from BS North and BS South

League One 24 teams 23 BS Premier teams + Leeds

League Two 24 teams Stays the same

BS Premier 24 teams 23 League One teams + the highest rep current BS Premier team.

BS North 22 teams 12 Northern based Championship clubs + 10 Northern based Prem clubs

BS South 22 teams 12 Southern based Championship clubs + 10 Southern based Prem clubs

</pre>

Leeds may or may not need to stay in League One due to a hardcoding element. All the current teams eligible for European competition would be stripped of that right and they would be given to the lowest rep teams now found in the Premiership.

I would also recommend playing this on a small database with only the English leagues running.

Aim of the experiment

To see the effects of turning the tables on the current English league system and to see how the big clubs respond to this.

Do they all go bankrupt?

Do they all sell their best players asap and do all the good players migrate abroad?

What happens to the big clubs that don't get promoted from the BS North / South the first season?

Is the FA Cup going to be won by anybody other than the big 4?

How do the teams now in the Premiership deal with life in European competitions? - How does this affect the UEFA Coefficients?

How do the teams now finding themselves in the Premiership respond to this - do they go on a spending spree?

How does this all affect the reputation of clubs over time?

Do Leeds get back to the Premierhsip a lot quicker due to their league now having poorer teams?

Fast forward the game on 5, 10, 20 seasons and how different does the league structure from what it was at the start of the experiment and what the current real life situation is like?

I would say once Genie Scout comes out then this could be a really good experiment if someone did it in quite a bit of detail, ie: Screenshot of each leagues, looking at big name transfers in / out of England, focusing on certain clubs such as a 'big 4' watch or a Leeds United watch etc

"Stealing" your idea, with the Italian leagues WW. Testing it in "beta" stage. I didn't just flip the leagues, basically turned the whole country on its head.

Sorted the Italian clubs from lowest reputation to highest, starting with clubs at 50 reps. And swapped the first 20 to Serie A. So Serie A looks something like this..

Serie A table

Only changed A so far, if I get into, I'll start a new topic.

Originally posted by boots:

"Stealing" your idea, with the Italian leagues WW. Testing it in "beta" stage. I didn't just flip the leagues, basically turned the whole country on its head.

Sorted the Italian clubs from lowest reputation to highest, starting with clubs at 50 reps. And swapped the first 20 to Serie A. So Serie A looks something like this..

Serie A table

Only changed A so far, if I get into, I'll start a new topic.

Not a problem at all, I've already set it up on my pc so I could do a thread on it myself if there is enough interest in it, but as I already have my own AI Experiment on the go it would be to the detriment of that experiment so its probably best I don't as I don't want to clog up the forum with threads by myself. icon_biggrin.gif

If anybody would like to do this AI experiment (probably best to wait until the patch is out etc), its quite easy to set up, took me no more than an hour fiddling with the editor and sqapping teams and editing their 'previous division'.

The only reason I chose England over Italy is that there are a lot of leagues and that the league system is mainly one league into another (unlike in Italy when leagues split up as you move beyond Serie B). Still, will be an interesting idea if you can put the big Italian clubs down into Serie C2a/b/c. icon14.gif

Florentia Viola: A Revolution

7.06.07 News just in: Police in Florence raid offices at Fiorentina’s Stadium due to suspicion of Match Fixing. This comes just hours after the popular Luca Toni has been sold.

8.06.07 News: Supporters gather outside of the Artemio Franchi stadium protesting about the sorry state of their beloved club. They feel that by selling Luca Toni who they feel was their best player that the club will be in major trouble in the following season.

12.06.07 Former player Gabriel Batistuta has also become distressed at the club he once dearly loved, and has created a club to put his passion towards: Florentia Viola. He has set about looking for potential stadiums and has submitted a request to join the Italian FA.

21.06.07 The club name is taken from the time when Fiorentina were relegated to Serie C2. The Italian FA have allowed the club to join Serie C2/B as it has also been confirmed that local team Rovigo have had to drop out of the league after declaring bankruptcy. Batistuta has found a 21250 all-seater stadium in Florence and renamed it Stadio Artemio Franchi.

30.06.07 Batistuta has appointed two former Fiorentina Favourites: Giovanni Galli as Managing Director and Brian Laudrup as Director of Football. Fans have been getting behind the club and Batistuta has arranged trials for 18 young players to fill his squad. He has the financial backing and its reported to be around the £70 million mark. Young manager Sir Chris McCormick has also been drafted in as Manager.

I hope this scenario is ok, seems a bit long I know! Basically I want 18 players ranging in different positions.

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=2101905...522088163#9522088163

My new sign up Idea

Ok im already running a sign up so i aint gonna make this unless my signup runs its course but if anybody else who is gonna carry this through can take this idea if they want

So

The Idea

Its a bit simila to my Create-A- Club challenge but its a sign up. Basically... All teams are removed from the Blue Square Premiership and replaced by teams created by Forum Members. There would be a form for the club with restrictiopns to how it can be made. Probably to keep it similar with the current Blue Square Premier sides. However there isnt much you can change in a team to keep them different so with the teams all made the forum members then have to create a chairman for the club. The creation would be similar to the creation of the players in various sign ups with the forum members deciding how they want their chairman to be.

Im thinking to make this exciting we would have to give the clubs loads of money and a decent reputation so some of them can climb the leagues to the Premiership. Maybe give them all a youth academy too.

Updates would include Transfers in and out, Staff appointments, League screenshots and updates on how they performed in the cup competitions.

Holiday AI Experiment - How far can the perfect staff take a team?

Of course this was partly inspired by kipfizh's classic AI experiment, and Jimbokav's Ass. man experiment, too.

We've seen how a team consisting of the perfect young players did. I've always felt that The Bandits' progress was slowed down by managers not up to the task, and an unambitious chairman.

I've thought about the following, to tes how much effect can the backroom staff have over the club's fortunes.

- "The perfect staff" will be added to the seemingly weakest sides in the English Conference N/S, with maximum attributes in their relevant fields+determination, list the club as a favourite, and have the same way of thinking about the game: same preferrd formation/mentality etc. Their reputation will be as low as it can be. In order not to get poached, they will have very long contracts (I'm thinking about 10 years, if it can be set) and quite high wages. Of course the club's financial state has to be altered a bit, in order to cope with the staff wages.

- The player squad will be as it is at the moment. No changes.

- I'm not sure if it can be done by an outside editor, but if the answer is yes, that could add another aspect. My thought is to set up two different chairmen for the clubs. One like Jesus Gil: the highly ambitious, high-spending, glory hungry chairman, with high interference and very short patience. The other the opposite: not interfering, likes to be hands off and just watch the team evolve - like the board of Auxerre, who left Guy Roux in the manager's seat for something like 40 years.

The questions:

- Given the perfect staff, how much of an advantage can it be for the two team over their divisional rivals? Can the perfect staff take such a lowly team to the Premiership glory and beyond?

- How much superiority does having the perfect manager mean in matches? Is he outsmarting lower league managers with his tactics? Or firing up the squad with well-made team-talks?

- How much of a difference can two differing chairmen mean? Will the highly ambitious chairman give everything he could (players, money, etc.) for the team, and how soon will he lose patience with the perfect staff, if things do not go their way? On the other hand: having a laid-back chairman is ideal for building the team and progressing slowly. But can he hinder the club's progress due to the lack of ambition?

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

I quite like this idea, and maybe even having a holiday game with a "perfect staff" team (with ordinary / no players - maybe increase its training and youth facilities?) and a "perfect players" team (like in kipfizh's challenge, but have very poor staff and a poor chairman (high interference, etc - maybe start with poor training / youth facilities?), and see which team is more sucsefull. Prob have one team in BSN and one in BSS?

Whilst I have no doubt the perfect players team would perform better initially, it would be interesting to see if the perfect staff would be better long term?

Of course Im too lazy to run this (and am still on FM2007), but if anyone wants to run with it I'd follow it.

Cheers,

Marky Mark

Right, I've wanted to do something in this forum for some time, but dont have the imagination to creat a decent challenge icon_biggrin.gif

However, I was thinking of an AI Experiment where (and I have already done the database) I gave every Welsh Premier League club full reputation, 25000 stadius, state of the art training and youth setups and lots of money and see if Wales as a nation becomes the best and who the teams sign. I could do monthly updates or whatever, but I'd love to knowif there would be interest as I dont know whether to bother.

icon14.gif

Originally posted by fatski:

Right, I've wanted to do something in this forum for some time, but dont have the imagination to creat a decent challenge icon_biggrin.gif

However, I was thinking of an AI Experiment where (and I have already done the database) I gave every Welsh Premier League club full reputation, 25000 stadius, state of the art training and youth setups and lots of money and see if Wales as a nation becomes the best and who the teams sign. I could do monthly updates or whatever, but I'd love to knowif there would be interest as I dont know whether to bother.

icon14.gif

I've actually been working on something similar for a couple of weeks now but with broader objectives and a different strategy. If you see 'AI Experiment - Birth of a New Nation' popping up soon, that will be mine.

Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

I've got one for a challenge.

Win at least one game with as many different clubs as possible. You could literally win one match, resign, sign for a new club, win, resign, and so on. I suppose a deadline would be good, like for example 1st Jan 2010.[/quote

Has anything been done for this yet? I'd love to try it.

Hey came up with a rough idea for a sign up and wondered if anyone would be interested.

Ten Strikers

The rough idea is to create Ten wonderkids (9 people signed up and myself) with CP of 90 and PA of -10 in one of ten teams in the premiership (this would be the teams predicted to finish 11th to 20th in the league).

This would be a competative game as all stats would be given a score.

rough idea -

Competative Games played - 1pt

League goals scored - 2pts

Cup goals scored - 1pt

Continental goals - 2pts

MoM (all comps) - 2pts

International Appearence - 2pts

International goal friendly - 2pts

International goal Competition - 3pts

With more points being awarded for various awards. I'd need to do research on these.

I'd run the English leagues and proberlies the top leagues in Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland and maybe France as these would be the most likely destinations if your player was to transfer.

This would also be my first sign up game icon_biggrin.gif

AI Experiment - Flipping England on it's Head

The concept behind this AI experiment is to take the current English league system and flip all the clubs from top to bottom so that the Premiership clubs begin in BS North / South and the current BS North / South clubs play in the Premiership and Championship. So the format of the English League system would now look like this:

Current Format How it would look

Premiership 20 teams The lowest rep 10 teams from BS North and BS South

Championship 24 teams The remaining, 12 highest rep teams from BS North and BS South

League One 24 teams 23 BS Premier teams + Leeds

League Two 24 teams Stays the same

BS Premier 24 teams 23 League One teams + the highest rep current BS Premier team.

BS North 22 teams 12 Northern based Championship clubs + 10 Northern based Prem clubs

BS South 22 teams 12 Southern based Championship clubs + 10 Southern based Prem clubs

Leeds may or may not need to stay in League One due to a hardcoding element. All the current teams eligible for European competition would be stripped of that right and they would be given to the lowest rep teams now found in the Premiership.

I would also recommend playing this on a small database with only the English leagues running.

Aim of the experiment

To see the effects of turning the tables on the current English league system and to see how the big clubs respond to this.

Do they all go bankrupt?

Do they all sell their best players asap and do all the good players migrate abroad?

What happens to the big clubs that don't get promoted from the BS North / South the first season?

Is the FA Cup going to be won by anybody other than the big 4?

How do the teams now in the Premiership deal with life in European competitions? - How does this affect the UEFA Coefficients?

How do the teams now finding themselves in the Premiership respond to this - do they go on a spending spree?

How does this all affect the reputation of clubs over time?

Do Leeds get back to the Premierhsip a lot quicker due to their league now having poorer teams?

Fast forward the game on 5, 10, 20 seasons and how different does the league structure from what it was at the start of the experiment and what the current real life situation is like?

I would say once Genie Scout comes out then this could be a really good experiment if someone did it in quite a bit of detail, ie: Screenshot of each leagues, looking at big name transfers in / out of England, focusing on certain clubs such as a 'big 4' watch or a Leeds United watch etc

I did this and about 50 years past and there was about 5-10 teams that started in the prem at the first season e.g weston-super mare and i think liverpool were there too

More of a question really and this seems the most appropriate place...

For my AI Experiment - Birth of a New Nation I am working on the database but I have run out of ideas for club names, town names, and players.

If I wanted to open it up to forum members do you think it would be best for them to suggest them in the [rul=http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5402079792/m/5702035363]thread itself[/url], in a new thread which would be like a sign up, or somewhere else?

Thanks

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Has the monthly 1 season challenge idea fallen by the wayside or are we waiting till Jan nowicon_confused.gif?

i think Jan would be a good start point. new challenges, new year.

i would love to take part in monthly challenges, but i dont have 08 yet. however, come after my final GCSEs, i will begin a sign up that will run throughout the summer due to extended holidays (from the end of may till september, or something like that). it will probably either be based in Brazil, in the bottom of the lowest division there, or, it will follow some young players as they follow Borat's trip to the USA, but with a dream of getting their team to the World Cup. after all, Khazakhstan is the greatest nation, so why cant this be represented in terms of football as well?

I've been getting into the challenges and sign-ups with FM '08 and I had an idea but I'm not sure how popular it would be so I thought I'd sound some people out here first.

The challenge would be run as a sign up and could be called the 'Average Joe' challenge. The basic premise is as follows: create a player with a starting CA of 80-100 and a PA of 140-150 and see how successful a career he can have. Will he never get beyond the Championship? Will he be a mere squad player in the Premier League? Will he make the national team? If so, as a one-off or as a regular?

I came up with the idea because so many sign-ups seem to revolve around putting players with super PAs in low leagues and following their rise so I was interested in what might make one average player more successful than another. Another factor was some of the real players who have turned out for England recently. Obviously, Rooney, Terry, Gerrard and co are superstars in the game but some of the squad players have much lower CA/PAs (for example Lescott, Barry, Defoe,...). Then there are players like Dunn, Konchensky, Luke Young, Matt Upson who have picked up a handful of caps but then disappeared from the international scene. What makes FM choose certain players for the national team or for AI transfers to bigger clubs?

There would be many variables to consider such as which club to start at. Would a player starting at a big Premiership team benefit from the world class youth/training set-up or remain overshadowed by superstars? Would a player starting low down grab attention more quickly by dominating their division or would they suffer from poor facilities and lack of oppurtunities?

There would be other variables such as attributes like adaptability, determination, ambition, loyalty etc. Maybe the best approach would be to create a few players for each position, allow thse who sign up to pick a high mental attribute like those listed above and start one at a leading Premier League team, one in the Championship/League 1 and one in the Blue Square/ League 2 then see how their career's compare.

The only doubts I have about it concern whether or not people would be willing to create an 'average' player or not... What do you think? Any further suggestions about variables, how to run it or using a different CA/PA (is 140-150 too high/low?) are welcome.