Challenges / Sign-Ups / Holiday Games ideas thread.

Corinthiano- cool – I’m glad someone picked up on this. This is largely how I envisaged it. If you went with it that would be great.

I like your idea of using multiple nations; that would add a lot of variety. In terms of the order of draft, after the first year, it could be the ranked on prior year performance. You could also think about using lower league teams sometimes, which would randomize the available quality even more.

For your own sanity I think you need to keep the number of participants down. I would say 10, just to see how it works out (oh, can I claim dibs already?). It occurred to me that the absolute easiest way to do this would be to upload the file each year and let people take a browse, but it would be too easy to cheat. Therefore you’d need to provide screenshots of all of the potential picks. This is where it gets difficult. Even with 10 people, say they have a choice of 3, that’s 30 screenshots, every time.

Then you need to consider how often to update, and how much detail to provide. After 5 years, say, you’re tracking 50 players. If you’re doing the choice of 3 players, plus all the existing players - that already a lot of screenies, and your oldest players are still youngsters – it’s still just getting going.

Of course you wouldn’t necessarily have to show each player every year, perhaps just every 3 or 4 on a rotational basis, or on request, so people can see how they’re developing. The rest of the detail (season stats and earnings) could be done in a table. You’d maybe then just want a narrative to say who got a new contract, news of transfers, and so on.

Anyway, I’m maybe getting bogged down in details here, but I’ve thought about it all so thought I might as well share it. To me it sounds like it could get very time consuming very quickly which is why I haven’t run with it myself – but I’m sure if you’re willing to do it, it would be excellent.

Just read Paul’s post – good point. Maybe if you ran the picks for say 5 or 10 years, then just let their careers play out? If you were only doing 5, maybe everyone could get 2 or 3 players from different countries a year? If you set a limit from the start, you know the absolute maximum number of players you’ll be tracking in the end.

Not sure about full detail. Maybe you could just switch it on for any leagues the players are based in, plus continental competition, if necessary?

Good luck with it

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback bermybhoy, has made a few things a lot clearer!!

10 does sound like the ideal number now, otherwise updates will be endless!! I have decided to get people to choose players every 2 years. As a player career would last around 20 years, the agents would have a max of 10 to 12 players, which means I d have to update on around 100 players at max, which wouldnt be extremely time consuming in the update format I have in mind.

I would do season updates with short information on how well each player did, if they picked up injuries, won titles, awards or anything else of notice. Like you suggested, I would put all stats into a table.

Uploading all the youth players will be quite an effort, but something that I m willing to do and will be important for the sign-up.

I dont know about lower leagues yet, as some nations top division is pretty much of lower league standard. If you pick players from the Blue Square North for example, you also run a much higher risk of the player retiring very early, whilst players in top divisions can at least drop down a few leagues.

Of course you can claim dibs already bermy, I will only run it when I get the new FM09 in 2 weeks time though.

I posted a similar idea at the top of page 14 and have since expanded on it a lot but haven't posted it as i was going to post the thread in a few weeks. However i would be willing to give this up and help you out with yours as i think it would be difficult for me to run this as i do not have a huge amount of time on my hands

I posted a similar idea at the top of page 14 and have since expanded on it a lot but haven't posted it as i was going to post the thread in a few weeks. However i would be willing to give this up and help you out with yours as i think it would be difficult for me to run this as i do not have a huge amount of time on my hands

I am afraid there isnt much help I would need with the sign up as it would probably take more effort to keep exchanging the save game than making the updates, however I think both ideas are different enough for you to launch your own sign up. bermybhoys idea is more about spotting talent at a young age + they will all be regens, whilst yours gives the agents an opportunity to pick up some more reputable players.

I'd like to claim a place as well.

Sure, no problem, am I allowed to set up a sign up form on this thread? I feel the more regular posters come in here so would give them a chance to claim a place in this and as I cant start the sign up until a couple of weeks it would make the startup quicker. If it is not allowed I will stop taking requests to join this though.

I don't think your allowed to start a sign up in here. Try posting it in the main forum but clearly warn people that they will need to post regularly or they will be replaced (unless they have good reason for not posting) and when you get enough people signed up tell people its full, then get Dafuge to close the thread. If you copy all the names and information of people who are signed up into a word document then you'll have it permantly.

Ok, thanks for the info. I have developed an idea of how I ll incentivate people to post so hopefully I wont have a problem.

As I cannot do the sign-up process now (dont want to sign up people now and only start this in a couple of weeks) I am afraid I can only guarantee a place for bermybhoy as he is the creator of the idea. As there will only be 9 extra places it would probably be unfair to allow people to claim places beforehand. I ll give everyone a hint though, it will be up on 12th December :)

Ok, thanks for the info. I have developed an idea of how I ll incentivate people to post so hopefully I wont have a problem.

As I cannot do the sign-up process now (dont want to sign up people now and only start this in a couple of weeks) I am afraid I can only guarantee a place for bermybhoy as he is the creator of the idea. As there will only be 9 extra places it would probably be unfair to allow people to claim places beforehand. I ll give everyone a hint though, it will be up on 12th December :)

Just a thought - you could ask people to PM you if they want to take part. That way you don't need to create a thread atm and can ask regulars to sign up. :)

Right, I am thinking of doing a new version of a wonderful thread from FM08.

Arsenal all the way to Glory: An Experiment with a New Way of Using Assistant Managers in FM was a cracking thread operated by 'Luke Hearn'.

What was it? Luke started a career as Arsenal and then a few seasons in, he went on the FM boards, with the idea that you (the posters) would be his new assistant managers. There was no need for a sign-up form, or anything like that, It was a free for all discussion on how Luke would handle is team and anyone could put their opinions in at any time. He posted updates after nearly every match, asking the forum questions about new tactics, signing, starting line-ups and even staf hirings.

Why was it stopped? There has never been any word from Luke, he just basically disappeared from the thread and I surely couldn't get this great idea go to waste.

Why are you posting about it? Well I intend to basically do the same thing as Luke, and start a long term career game with you guys as my assistant managers. I may or may not sack my own assistant manager, depending on what you guys think.

What is required? Basically not alot is needed from you. All that I need is some regular posts, idea's and replies to my updates which will basically be after every game and whenever else required. Suggestions on transfers and tactics are also massively appreciated.

What team will be used? More than likely, I won't play as Arsenal, but I will probably open it up to the idea's thread about what team I'll be, and what leagues I will run. Some of my early idea's are:

Manchester City (Take them to the top of the EPL and over their Manchester counterparts.)

Galatasaray (Take them to the top of Turkey and bring them European glory.)

Luton Town (Although I haven't done alot of LLM before, the chance to survive imminent relegation actually appeals to me and then to fire them into the Premiership.

Leeds United (Basically, I'd love to see Leeds in the Premiership again, and more importantly, taken over by someone other than that lunatic known as Ken Bates.

Zenit St Petersberg (They seem like an interesting prospect, given their sucess in Europe and their huge bank account.

Hull City (I have been captivated by Hull's brilliant story and never say die attitude this season and would hate to see them do poorly on FM.

As you can see there, half the clubs I have chosen, have big potential to do well, but have not gone to the next level, while the other Luton and Leeds are much more difficult options, given their lower status. At this stage I'm leaning towards transferring hull into an EPL powerhouse. And the prospect of them just really appeals to me as a whole, however I'm open to all suggestions

When will it start? At the moment, I have got a problem with my disk drive, which should be fixed within a few weeks, but as soon as it has been fixed and if there's enough intrest, I will begin!

Any comments and idea's welcome and highly appreciated

Pluckaduck

Hard to say really. If the majority of the assistants want me to spend 60 million on Stewart Downing but I think it's a much better option to buy Marcelo for 5 million, then I'll probably overule. But in most cases I'd probably go with my trusty assistants.

Guest roberto922

Not really my cup of tea but it looks like a good idea. One thing though, wasn't a similiar idea shot down in flames quite recently a page or two back?

Guest roberto922

I think you should set a certain time when you play the game so that your assistants know when to be online, otherwise it could get tedious.

Guest roberto922

Yes but what I mean is you would get more responses if people knew when you were going to play the save because they'd know when to go on rather than you having possibly 1 person online making the decisions with you.

This idea I had was a few ideas rolled into one.

Basically, I want too see if the AI manager could do what some human managers can do. Take a lower league team to the top flight, and glory. But I also wanted to change every team in Englands youth facilities + training to 20, then holiday until 2014, add myself as England manager, then see what happens with regens, etc.

I'm not sure if I am going to do this but your opinions are welcome.

What is it?

The Patriot Challenge is going to be a challenge where the player aims for MLS and/or International glory. The player will have his choice of an MLS team. The player will then have the option to try and get to a job with a national team all while keeping his original job in the MLS. (Please note, the player will have to win the MLS Championship at least once or finish runner up at least three times to go to the national level)

How do I win?

The player can win by doing one of the following:

• Winning a World Cup
  • Winning the MLS 7 times
  • Winning the MLS 5 times in a row

And if i lose?

If you somehow are unfortuunate enough to get fired from your job, you'll have to start the challenge over. No Exceptions. Except for you, Chewbacca.

Guest roberto922

I won't take part at all as I despise the MLS but I know that certain people (nudges rancer) are addicted to it so you could get a couple of people in.

I'm happy just thinking about this challenge. :D

My longest championship streak in MLS is 3 years, but I only play in the MLS for 3 years at a time. :p

You've made me giddy already about the 2009 MLS season. :D

Maybe you should try to get an american into this as well. Maybe spartans5 or roversawh7...

You've got an unhealthy interest in the MLS rancer :D It can't be that good. Will you be Toronto?

I've tried MLS management in the past, never really enjoyed it. Something to do with the draft system and salary caps, where I can't actually register all my best players :rolleyes:

But good luck to anyone that tries it.

Rancer, now that you mention it I have to try the MLS challenge, probably as the Red Bulls as I am a New Yorker.

Walcott's I was wondering if I might do your Euro Striker Sign-Up this year since you have your own fantastic sign-up coming up soon. Only because I am itching to track player's progress as well.

That will in no way effect my other sign-up for those concerned.

Walcott's I was wondering if I might do your Euro Striker Sign-Up this year since you have your own fantastic sign-up coming up soon. Only because I am itching to track player's progress as well.

That will in no way effect my other sign-up for those concerned.

Ummm, I'll let you do as long as you...

1) Don't start before I've finished my final season, which you've already intimated.

2) Don't think doing updates for 53 people won't impede on your time or your existing sign up. (It takes min about an hour per update).

3) Are prepared to do it for at least 5 seasons.

If yes to all 3, then by all means go for it and good luck. :):thup:

1) I won't start until you finish your final season, but may I put the sign-up page up ASAP?

2) I know it will impede my time, but I have enough now and will during December and then during spring semester as well.

3) I am prepared to do this until the players retire and will track their managerial careers as well if they choose.

In light of the positive responses for my challenge, I have decided to give it a try.

But Wait, There's More!

If you sign up for the post i that i create soon, i'll give you DOUBLE the offer! Not only will you get a challenge, But a database with a player made for the first 14 to signup! So come on! You've got nothing to lose! Try my challenge.

in order to get a player created in the challenge database, sign up for one of 14 player spots. some restrictions apply. try today!