"Tactical" Games in New FM?

I thought of this idea now in the build-up to the EURO. It seems to be a fairly simple addition that would just need some consensual research in football history...

Anyhow, haven't you ever been watching your nation in the World Cup/European Championship and were upset with the choice of strategy/players? Eg. Why not man-mark more in EURO 2004 if Greece used it successfully... Or, why keep Inzaghi on the bench when you could have started him against team x.

Anyhow, this got me thinking in creating "tactical" scenario matches in the future FM where you simply emulate past tournaments. Thus, you can manage any of the real-teams in previous World Cups and European Championships. You would be using the official squads that you cannot change (Eg. Raul is not in Spain for Euro 2008) and you start the game about 2-3 weeks before the start of the tournament so you have 1-2 pre-tournament friendly matches.

Thus, you have a short challenge (it is the tournament only) and you can re-live some great footballing nations, as you could manage such greats as Cruyff, Pele etc. from previous versions. The most interesting aspect of this match would be the ratings we would assign to former international players. But surely it would be great to manage some great teams such as Holland 1970s, or try and do an upset, and say manage Saudi Arabia in the 2002 World Cup.

Thus, all we need to do is research the ratings of the players in past squads... These scenarios would be great to really getting to know how tactics work as at this level (international games where you only have 1 chance to shine), tactics play a massive role.

Feedback please, or am I just being crazy?

Also as a side-note, I think a 'scenario' game as this should have greater media scrutiny and thus the media should play a more active role. If Sweden line up for their first World Cup Match in the group stages and pulls off a 2-0 win against, let's say a good team like Spain, then the media attention on both teams will increase, and the media will be swamping you with questions or whatever new features the media mode contains. In a game such as this that would last maximum 2 months real-time, building up morale will be crucial (as is with every team that has success in a World Cup/Euro Cup) and choosing the right approach to media could be a big help.

I actually reckon this is a good idea. It would expand the game (because essentially thats what it is, a game for enjoyment) immensely, and could provide a quick fix of FM to those who want it. You could also gave some league specific ones ie chase down Man Utd's league lead at Christmas with Arsenal in 1997-98, win the league with Newcastle in 1995-96, save Oldham with 3 games left in 1992-93 for example wrt England.

However I can probably see a lot of other posters not liking the idea...

This has been mentioned a few times. Something similar to Brian Lara cricket challenges where you enter tha game at a certain point and have to try and change or recreate history.

Usually I had things like this but I actually like this idea and would love to give it a go. I wouldn't be happy woth it being added to the game as an option but perhaps as a downnloadbable add on or something.

Dear God I really must apologise for my typing today and on the above post especially. I'm typing a report, eating a sandwich and browsing these forums all at the same time, who says men can't multitask.

We could try it out in the next version only with Euro 2008. This wouldn't be too hard to do as essentially the player ratings will remain the same and all you ahve to do is have the official national team squads. The game lasts for the tournament only, and it will still be fresh in people's minds, so maybe they would like to do some things a little differently.

This is a brilliant idea surely it would not be that much trouble to have these scenarios in the game. It would be so cool to play the first world cups and stuff like that.

This really is the best suggestion I have read on here for awhile.

Originally posted by AcidBurn:

This is a brilliant idea surely it would not be that much trouble to have these scenarios in the game. It would be so cool to play the first world cups and stuff like that.

For FM09 it would be good to try merely a 'pilot' version of this, and the easiest way to do that is having a choice of EURO 2008. This would be relatively easy as you would not have to change ratings of players..

But, as FM wants to stay ahead of the game, as they moved from text to 2D commentary, why not provide simulation of football history rather than just football itself?

With such a wealth of researchers and a tight-knit footballing community, we could all come together and sort out ratings for people from previous tournaments. Ex: I would love to have a 1994 Paolo Maldini or a 1986 Maradona.

Being Greek, I would also like to have a chance at the World Cup 1994 where we lost all 3 games, scored 0 and conceded 10. The team was half-decent back then!

Being Greek, I would also like to have a chance at the World Cup 1994 where we lost all 3 games, scored 0 and conceded 10. The team was half-decent back then!

Ah yes happy times. IIRC they fought to get Maradona's shirt after the Argentina game icon_biggrin.gif They've come a long way...

Originally posted by sthptngomad76:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Being Greek, I would also like to have a chance at the World Cup 1994 where we lost all 3 games, scored 0 and conceded 10. The team was half-decent back then!

Ah yes happy times. IIRC they fought to get Maradona's shirt after the Argentina game icon_biggrin.gif They've come a long way... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha yes. Back then in '94, rumours abound that the players were caught out partying until the late hours of the night a few nights. Total shambles!

Guest arrogantio

How do you account for everything else in the background happening so differently as to render the actual scenario you were hoping to achieve redundant

Let's say you're looking to avoid the heartbreak of Italia 90 by taking Gazza to the final by beating the Germans out of sight in normal time.

Only when it comes to the semi final, you're playing against Czechoslovakia and Gascoigne has already had his floods of tears after picking up a tournament-ending injury in the previous game. Winning would seem almost anticlimactic...

It's also a lot of extra research and programming for some one-hour, closed playing scenarios, when you can already play an indefinite number of future international competitions with all kinds of weird and wonderful players and the ability to carry the game on afterwards

Originally posted by 5iver:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AcidBurn:

And to see how good you are manage Australia in '82

For FM09 it would be good to try merely a 'pilot' version of this, and the easiest way to do that is having a choice of EURO 2008. This would be relatively easy as you would not have to change ratings of players..

But, as FM wants to stay ahead of the game, as they moved from text to 2D commentary, why not provide simulation of football history rather than just football itself?

With such a wealth of researchers and a tight-knit footballing community, we could all come together and sort out ratings for people from previous tournaments. Ex: I would love to have a 1994 Paolo Maldini or a 1986 Maradona.

Being Greek, I would also like to have a chance at the World Cup 1994 where we lost all 3 games, scored 0 and conceded 10. The team was half-decent back then! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived