+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Player retires from international football...the day before the European Final!

Semi Pro

Default Player retires from international football...the day before the European Final!

As the title says really. I'm managing Italy and am just about to play England in the 2028 European Championship Final. The game date has just hit 1.7.2028 and i get the message 'Andrea Viviano has retired from international football' but the final is 2.7.2028 and he was my first choice midfielder! Could he not have waited a day till after the game to hang up his boots!!

Reserves

Default Re: Player retires from international football...the day before the European Final!

Lol, what an idiot, i think that you need to post this in the bugs forum mate.

btw are you really from Vatican City?

Amateur

Default Re: Player retires from international football...the day before the European Final!

how old was he??
    must have got so nervous before the final he decided to retire haha

Semi Pro

What a story the Championship was though!

I went into the Championship as Holland manager and had Italy and the Czech Republic in my group. I was very confident as Holland had won the World Cup 2 years before in 2026 under me. Anyway, we finished bottom of the group with 1 win and 2 loses and Italy won the group. I did the decent thing and resigned from Holland and watched as Italy crusied into the semis. Then to my amazment Italy sacked their manager!! I applied and took over the Italy job in the semis against Scotland. We won that 2-0 and then beat England 3-2 in the final with 9 men with 2 of our goals in injury time. Never seen anything like it!

So after losing to Italy in the group stage with Holland i end up taking Italy all the way and winning in the final with them.
    Last edited by dave byrd; 08-04-2010 at 21:05.

Semi Pro

It gets better. After the championship i ask Viviano to reconsider retirement and he accepts! He says he is now waiting to be picked for the next squad! What a fool.

@ Graham FM, he is 35 but still a quality player.

Last edited by dave byrd; 08-04-2010 at 21:13.

Semi Pro

So, anyone else managed 2 different International teams in the same tournament?!

Reserves

I have never managed 2 teams in the same tournament before, you may be the first there mate.

Amateur

maybe he couldn't handle the pressure of the final bit weird he considers coming out of retriement after u win it ha

nope haven't even managed an international team let alone two haha

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Graham FM View Post
    maybe he couldn't handle the pressure of the final bit weird he considers coming out of retriement after u win it ha

nope haven't even managed an international team let alone two haha
    I think he was always going to do this and they usually do so on 1st July, just a shame the final was the next day. Oh well, his loss!

Amateur

yep think its programmed for players to retire before that date

would he get a medal for playiing some part in the tourenment tho??

Semi Pro

No actually, just had a look and he didn't.

Part-Timer

Happened to me with Liedson... He also accepted to represent the country again after that... Although in this case I dont remember seeing any retirement date set for him...

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ANDEHLSON View Post
    Happened to me with Liedson... He also accepted to represent the country again after that... Although in this case I dont remember seeing any retirement date set for him...
    Do you mean for my player in the screenshot? If so the screenshot was taken after he reconsidered. Date on the screenshot is 5.7.2028.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by dave byrd View Post
    Do you mean for my player in the screenshot? If so the screenshot was taken after he reconsidered. Date on the screenshot is 5.7.2028.
    I mean I dont remember seeing Liedson with a retirement date set. Oh btw he retired in the day of the final not in the day before.

Semi Pro

This should be fixed. I remember a few versions ago there was an issue where you couldnt pick a player for international duty if he was injured even if he was only out for a few days and would be fine come the day of the match. That was fixed so this issue should be sorted too.

PW

I saw an issue when Fabio Capello retired/resigned from the England managers job a day before the World Cup Final!!!

Very weird............................................. .................................England in a world cup final!!

Amateur

wellllllllcome to fantasy land!.... :-)))

Amateur

What a story the Championship was though!

I went into the Championship as Holland manager and had Italy and the Czech Republic in my group. I was very confident as Holland had won the World Cup 2 years before in 2026 under me. Anyway, we finished bottom of the group with 1 win and 2 loses and Italy won the group. I did the decent thing and resigned from Holland and watched as Italy crusied into the semis. Then to my amazment Italy sacked their manager!! I applied and took over the Italy job in the semis against Scotland. We won that 2-0 and then beat England 3-2 in the final with 9 men with 2 of our goals in injury time. Never seen anything like it!

So after losing to Italy in the group stage with Holland i end up taking Italy all the way and winning in the final with them.
    Have you got any screen shots of when the Italy Manager was sacked?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo1985 View Post
    Have you got any screen shots of when the Italy Manager was sacked?
    Yeah, only in the landmarks screen for Italy though as i've played half a season since it happened taking over my new Ajax team.

The news item at the time said he was sacked 'for the teams poor performances at the Euro Championship'. I then resigned 3.8.2028 afterwards and for some reason thats listed twice on the landmarks screen. This was my second stint in charge of Italy and when i left the first time that was also listed twice for 20.6.2020.

Last edited by dave byrd; 09-04-2010 at 18:08.

Amateur

Question Re: Player retires from international football...the day before the European Final!

As the title says really. I'm managing Italy and am just about to play England in the 2028 European Championship Final. The game date has just hit 1.7.2028 and i get the message 'Andrea Viviano has retired from international football' but the final is 2.7.2028 and he was my first choice midfielder! Could he not have waited a day till after the game to hang up his boots!!
    I can go one worse than this. Playing as the England manager, got to the World Cup Final. The day before the game, Frank Lampard retires from international football. Luckily we still won the final without him. Got him to reconsider retirement and he did, but not in time to play in England's biggest game since 1966! Madness!

Amateur

Yeah, only in the landmarks screen for Italy though as i've played half a season since it happened taking over my new Ajax team.

The news item at the time said he was sacked 'for the teams poor performances at the Euro Championship'. I then resigned 3.8.2028 afterwards and for some reason thats listed twice on the landmarks screen. This was my second stint in charge of Italy and when i left the first time that was also listed twice for 20.6.2020.

Definatly a bug. Have you reported it???

Amateur

Hopefully SI will fix these issues; international retirement days must be adjusted according to major tournaments, this must be an easy fix.

Have you got a save game either before he retires or before he announces his retirement? Let me know either way, thanks.

Amateur

only 25500 attendance at a european championship final?!

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    Have you got a save game either before he retires or before he announces his retirement? Let me know either way, thanks.
    I have one that is about 7 months after if that's any good? Oh, this is FM09 by the way.

On reflection the Italy manager getting sacked despite reaching the semis and Italy still being in the competition is an even bigger bug that the player retiring the day before the final!
    Last edited by dave byrd; 13-04-2010 at 15:40.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CooCooKaJoo View Post
    only 25500 attendance at a european championship final?!
    Yeah, was held in Norway.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brock View Post
    He's playing FM 09, not FM10 - note that on the match screen, there's no analysis option in the bar, only stats, action zones etc.

Banned

Its probably somethnig to do with the season reset date.

Part-Timer

I had the Brazil manager resign after winning his group in the World Cup

Third Team

David James did that to me the game before the world cup final.....he was my number one....
    Luckily Chris Kirkland proved himself useful enough and I beat Argentina 2-0

Amateur

how random i had a player of the same name (viviani) come thorugh on a spanish save for me, he was world class eventually as a centre half and would score around 20 a season...stats look pretty exact to yours

Semi Pro

Randon indeed! Got a screenshot of him?

Amateur

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Part-Timer

In FM09 Ireland sacked David O'Leary the day after they won the World Cup!

I got the Ireland job just before the play-offs for the next World Cup and took them to their second successive WC. Quit the day after as I knew there was no good players coming through and those who I had won it with were all veterans...

+ Reply to Thread