Player retires from international football...the day before the European Final!

As the title says really. I'm managing Italy and am just about to play England in the 2028 European Championship Final. The game date has just hit 1.7.2028 and i get the message 'Andrea Viviano has retired from international football' but the final is 2.7.2028 and he was my first choice midfielder! Could he not have waited a day till after the game to hang up his boots!!

What a story the Championship was though!

I went into the Championship as Holland manager and had Italy and the Czech Republic in my group. I was very confident as Holland had won the World Cup 2 years before in 2026 under me. Anyway, we finished bottom of the group with 1 win and 2 loses and Italy won the group. I did the decent thing and resigned from Holland and watched as Italy crusied into the semis. Then to my amazment Italy sacked their manager!! I applied and took over the Italy job in the semis against Scotland. We won that 2-0 and then beat England 3-2 in the final with 9 men with 2 of our goals in injury time. Never seen anything like it!

So after losing to Italy in the group stage with Holland i end up taking Italy all the way and winning in the final with them.

maybe he couldn't handle the pressure of the final :D bit weird he considers coming out of retriement after u win it ha

nope haven't even managed an international team let alone two haha

I think he was always going to do this and they usually do so on 1st July, just a shame the final was the next day. Oh well, his loss!

Happened to me with Liedson... He also accepted to represent the country again after that... Although in this case I dont remember seeing any retirement date set for him...

Do you mean for my player in the screenshot? If so the screenshot was taken after he reconsidered. Date on the screenshot is 5.7.2028.

Do you mean for my player in the screenshot? If so the screenshot was taken after he reconsidered. Date on the screenshot is 5.7.2028.

I mean I dont remember seeing Liedson with a retirement date set. Oh btw he retired in the day of the final not in the day before. :D

This should be fixed. I remember a few versions ago there was an issue where you couldnt pick a player for international duty if he was injured even if he was only out for a few days and would be fine come the day of the match. That was fixed so this issue should be sorted too.

I saw an issue when Fabio Capello retired/resigned from the England managers job a day before the World Cup Final!!!

Very weird..............................................................................England in a world cup final!!

What a story the Championship was though!

I went into the Championship as Holland manager and had Italy and the Czech Republic in my group. I was very confident as Holland had won the World Cup 2 years before in 2026 under me. Anyway, we finished bottom of the group with 1 win and 2 loses and Italy won the group. I did the decent thing and resigned from Holland and watched as Italy crusied into the semis. Then to my amazment Italy sacked their manager!! I applied and took over the Italy job in the semis against Scotland. We won that 2-0 and then beat England 3-2 in the final with 9 men with 2 of our goals in injury time. Never seen anything like it!

So after losing to Italy in the group stage with Holland i end up taking Italy all the way and winning in the final with them.

Have you got any screen shots of when the Italy Manager was sacked?

Have you got any screen shots of when the Italy Manager was sacked?

Yeah, only in the landmarks screen for Italy though as i've played half a season since it happened taking over my new Ajax team.

The news item at the time said he was sacked 'for the teams poor performances at the Euro Championship'. I then resigned 3.8.2028 afterwards and for some reason thats listed twice on the landmarks screen. This was my second stint in charge of Italy and when i left the first time that was also listed twice for 20.6.2020.

60662784.png

16940775.png

As the title says really. I'm managing Italy and am just about to play England in the 2028 European Championship Final. The game date has just hit 1.7.2028 and i get the message 'Andrea Viviano has retired from international football' but the final is 2.7.2028 and he was my first choice midfielder! Could he not have waited a day till after the game to hang up his boots!!

I can go one worse than this. Playing as the England manager, got to the World Cup Final. The day before the game, Frank Lampard retires from international football. Luckily we still won the final without him. Got him to reconsider retirement and he did, but not in time to play in England's biggest game since 1966! Madness!

Yeah, only in the landmarks screen for Italy though as i've played half a season since it happened taking over my new Ajax team.

The news item at the time said he was sacked 'for the teams poor performances at the Euro Championship'. I then resigned 3.8.2028 afterwards and for some reason thats listed twice on the landmarks screen. This was my second stint in charge of Italy and when i left the first time that was also listed twice for 20.6.2020.

60662784.png

16940775.png

Definatly a bug. Have you reported it???

Have you got a save game either before he retires or before he announces his retirement? Let me know either way, thanks.

I have one that is about 7 months after if that's any good? Oh, this is FM09 by the way.

On reflection the Italy manager getting sacked despite reaching the semis and Italy still being in the competition is an even bigger bug that the player retiring the day before the final!

Have you got a save game either before he retires or before he announces his retirement? Let me know either way, thanks.

He's playing FM 09, not FM10 - note that on the match screen, there's no analysis option in the bar, only stats, action zones etc.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In FM09 Ireland sacked David O'Leary the day after they won the World Cup!

I got the Ireland job just before the play-offs for the next World Cup and took them to their second successive WC. Quit the day after as I knew there was no good players coming through and those who I had won it with were all veterans...

Archived