Advice/Consequences on buying a player on massive wages

I'm 7 years in to my save with Leeds and I'm one of the top teams (top 8) in Europe. The opportunity to buy arguably the best striker on my current game has come up for £28m. (I haven't named him as I don't really want opinions on the player himself)

The problem is that I'm going to have to pay him arond £100,000-£130,000 per week. This is obviously alot and I have prided myself on keeping my wage budget low and turning a profit in most months. I can afford his wages but I'm worried about the knock on effects. My keeper and star stiker (both regens) are both my top earners on £65,000 per week.

Will buying and paying this new player these huge amounts make the rest of my team unhappy, particulry my star players, and ask for multiple new high paying contracts? Or is the impact fairly minimal? I normally would never consider it but I'm salivating at the prospect at him and my current stiker (World Player Of The Year 2 years running) playing up front together.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

What age, sorry but it really helps if we have more information. I don't think that paying 28 million for a 30 year old would be the best idea, but if he's only mid twenties and in his prime then go for it. As for your squad harmony, your other striker may get a bit annoyed, particularly if you only play with 1 striker in the first place.

I have always brought my team up from lower leagues and so I think my team is similar.

I wouldn't pay that if I were you - you have done a great job and and there is no reason why you can't keep doing it. Stick to your youth policy and sell the guy for what he's worth - I'm sure you already have a few youngsters coming through to replace him.

What age, sorry but it really helps if we have more information. I don't think that paying 28 million for a 30 year old would be the best idea, but if he's only mid twenties and in his prime then go for it. As for your squad harmony, your other striker may get a bit annoyed, particularly if you only play with 1 striker in the first place.

I don't need advice on whether to buy him or not as I know his quality and he would improve my team and I can afford the fee, as I said I don't need opinions on the player himself. Just the likely impact of paying him double wages that of my next highest earner?

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I deliberatly left details on the player out as I don't need advice on the player himself. This is the first time I would buy a player on double wages of my next highest earner and I'm worried about the knock on for the rest of my squad (demands, disharmony), not whether he is good enough or worth the money.

Anyway I pulled out at the last minute as my 2 stikers have gone on a scoring ramage in the past 5 games or so.

I haven't seen it on FM10 yet, but on older versions you'd often end up with your current star players wanting parity. I would of tied my current players down to long-ish contracts before signing the new player and hoped to just sit out any problems with the current players.

I haven't seen it on FM10 yet, but on older versions you'd often end up with your current star players wanting parity. I would of tied my current players down to long-ish contracts before signing the new player and hoped to just sit out any problems with the current players.

I find that's more common when you renew the contract of a player already at your club.

OP: Go for it. However, make sure your turnover is high enough to afford his wages, not just your wage budget.

Archived