Oh my GOD every single goal I concede is the same, anyone know what's up?

basically, a throughball inbetween my defenders, behind my defence, and the opposition player is one on one with the keeper. Often it's wingers coming in between my fullback and getting in behind my defense. Almost every single goal I concede is the same (the odd screamer and header from a set piece) and I've tried everything, including:

Defensive midfielder

Deep defence

Deep defence and narrow midfield

narrow midfield

2 defensive midfielders

4-5-1

man marking

zonal marking

tight marking

not tight marking

haven't got a clue what to do. My defense is 'slow' (10/10 for the speed stats, this is league 1 remember) but they're good defenders in terms of marking, position, decision marking etc. usually I run with a set up with width and deepness on the default, bang in the middle.

anyone know what it might be? could it be a fault in the ME?

throughball inbetween my defenders, behind my defence, and the opposition player is one on one with the keeper. Often it's wingers coming in between my fullback and getting in behind my defense.

Play very deep defencive line this should do wounders for your team. Since the update there are far less long range goals so you should be safe playing very deep. You can also narrow your team if your confident on winning lots of headers in the box and not minding letting lots of crosses in.

Hope this helps mate. Also I would surgest counter attacking with this tatic to help releave pressure on the defence.

Play very deep defencive line this should do wounders for your team. Since the update there are far less long range goals so you should be safe playing very deep. You can also narrow your team if your confident on winning lots of headers in the box and not minding letting lots of crosses in.

Hope this helps mate. Also I would surgest counter attacking with this tatic to help releave pressure on the defence.

yeah I tried that and I was a bit undecided. my teams can counter attack well but I've got a squad that's talented enough for mid table in the championship let alone league 1 so I'm worried that playing deep will mean that my attacking play suffers (although I've got ashley barnes, medina, flood, lloyd sam, puncheon and my attacking 5 in a 4-4-2, and two fullbacks in curtis osano and netin sansara that like to bomb forward). Also, if I'm playing deep, how should that effect my closing down - I don't want my players running around like headless chickens do I?

I won't have a problem with crosses since my defensive midfielder and centre halves are good in the air and my fullbacks are decent too.

It's possible to concede goals by being too defensive. You've said a lot about your team tactics but not individual player settings.

What are the settings for your centre backs?

I'm not that defensive, generally I dominate possession and shots on goal.

for my centre halves I have man marking, tight marking, mentality and creative freedom roughly a third in from the left, closing down an eighth in from the left, hard tackling, and all the bars set to rarely. I'm never sure how to set my centre halves up to be honest.

I use the classic tactical setting by the way.

IMO, hard tackling is a disaster for central defenders.

I use a stopper/cover combination. One (the strong one) closing down own half, normal tackling, normal mentality. The other (quickest) closing down own area, normal tackling, defensive mentality.

It's the combination that makes it work.

I've got a squad that's talented enough for mid table in the championship let alone league 1 so I'm worried that playing deep will mean that my attacking play suffers

I can understand your concerns with that. Although I am currently managing in Iceland which is a poor league in comparison I play almost as deep as it allows you to play but I play a 4-2-4 tactic ( Flat back four, two defencive minded center midfielders, two wingers and two strikers) to make sure when I get the ball I have numbers foward to counter. I as you can I have mixed results with this tatic but last season I scored lots of goals and generally dominated possession.

Archived