Your age limits?

Just wondered at what age people started to get rid of their ageing stars? In my save Torres is 33, still has very good stats, even physically his pace and acceleration is still 14, but he just doesn't seem to have that edge anymore. Think I might try and ship him at the end of the season, he's still on 140k a week!

It depend really becasue once they get to the age of 33 there value declines to an extent that its not really worth selling them - unless they are on high wages or you wont to make way for youth or a better player. I have Xavi ar Barcelona who is 33 and when is contract runs out in two years I wont renew it but Valdes is 32 and I'm trying to sell him. But Xavi has been at Bara all his career so theres quite a bit of sentiment there!

I have this weird thing about 30, I dislike signing contracts with players that will take them beyond that point and try to sell them when they reach that age, or even ideally when they are about 28 for bigger money.

No idea why, I am trying to break the habit in this game, but...... even now, I only have 5 players aged 30 or above, 2 of them are GKs, one is leaving on a free at the end of the season, one is Dzenko and the other Steven 'angry' Taylor who has been with me forever.

I generally only offer 1 year extensions on players of 30+ years (like Arsene Wenger) but I made an exception for Torres who refused to sign unless it was a 2 year deal on ridiculous wages. I've got a good regen to step into his shoes so I might see what I can do in January.

The Lambs - my bro has a similar thing. He refuses to buy players over 25 (despite the fact he always starts new games after 2/3 seasons) and sells people once they get to 30, no exceptions!

It depend really becasue once they get to the age of 33 there value declines to an extent that its not really worth selling them - unless they are on high wages or you wont to make way for youth or a better player. I have Xavi ar Barcelona who is 33 and when is contract runs out in two years I wont renew it but Valdes is 32 and I'm trying to sell him. But Xavi has been at Bara all his career so theres quite a bit of sentiment there!

Hasn't Valdes as well? ;)

I don't buy players over the age of 22 unless i really need a player in that position and their something special. I keep outfield players to the age of 33 and goalkeepers to the age of 36. Outfield players I offer them a 5 year contract at the age of 29 and thats the last contract i'll offer them unless I feel I could get a good price I may offer a 2 year extention to try and sell them.

I keep a player as long as he is performing well and does what is expected of him. Once I notice he cannot perform consistently or is out of place in the squad in terms of overall performance, I will sell him.

I would rarely buy a player that is 32+, however I would keep ageing players if they still had good physical attributes(mainly looking at stamina and natural fitness), so they would be adequate back up.

The only exceptions are goalkeepers because physiucal attributes don't really matter, and irl they can keep going until they are fourty

Depends on the player and any emotional attachment I have with them. Usually I'll try and cash in at around the 30 year old mark, but I did keep my club captain until he was 39!

This. In FM08 I kept Micah Richards until he was around 38 when he retired. Still captain, still first choice. And that was when anyone over the age of 32 was useless!

I keep a player as long as he is performing well and does what is expected of him. Once I notice he cannot perform consistently or is out of place in the squad in terms of overall performance, I will sell him.

Same here. In my current game my 32 year old striker is my top scorer with 15 goals in 18 games. It's in the Bulgarian league but still :p

5 year contract for a 29 YO is long? Admire your not buying older players though. I'm trying to make my team into an U23 team at the moment.

Some may think a 5 year contract for a 29 year old is long but if there still at the club at the age of 29 there still going to be in the starting 11 and will be for a few more years. Also gives me enough time to find a replacement to train up and learn off of the older player. Most of the time I have the replacement ready to take over but depends on if my scouting network can find them in time.

I make on average 30m a year selling on youth players that don't hack it lol Got a good scouting network, any player I see that has minimum 3 stars I buy if the price is reasonable and send them to U-18's for 1 - 2 seasons then send to feeder club for 2 - 3 seasons then bring them into the first team squad if they have made great progress. It works, I've made around 18 wonderkids into superstars. Bought one for 3.2m at the age of 16 and sold him on 12 year later for 56m. Great way to make money and save money!

One thing I do now as well is if the player is under 27 i always put a 25% of next transfer fee clause in and when in the transfer centre clause section it allows me to buy it out I do, usually get 2 - 5m at a time.

Generally I'll look to sell them at around 30, so I can almost their maximum value before their stats and value declines. So I can buy a replacement. In my current save, I'm going to sell my captain, who is 30 at the end of the season and give one of my younger players a chance. Or sign a replacement.

My thing on this save though is that I'm trying to make the team all English, but my youth replacement isn't quite ready yet. Whereas the only CM of similar quality who is English will cost about 50 million as he's about 20, world class and at Chelsea.

Also, at the other end, if I don't believe a player will make it at my team, and is under 20, and has a value of less than 2 million, I'll offload him for no actual fee, but 50% of the next transfer. Sometimes that bites me in the ass and they get released again so I get nothing, but I've got 5 million for a player who was worth 1 mill when I sold him on intially on a previous game.

Normally it's rare for me to keep anybody beyond 32-33 unless I'm battling for survival and want some experience in my squad. However, I just took over Bolton in the Championship in 2012-13 and am getting fantastic production out of Kevin Davies (35) and Jussi Jaaskelainen (37). Davies has already signed a new (drastically reduced) contract for next season and I think I'll offer Jussi one when I load up again this evening. That said, in a squad full of geriatrics these are the only two real success stories.

I'm currently managing in the A(ustralian)-League where the standard is poor compared to the reputation. I never feel comfortable spending money on players over 26-27 but since my club has no money, I'm finding signing older players (30+) on frees is a good deal. For example, Eidu Gudjohnsen is the assist leader of the league at the moment and I signed him when he was 32, he's now 33 and plays very well at this level.

Another player doing well is Karol Kisel who is 34, though he won't sign a new contract unless I pay large wages (that he doesn't merit for his age).

In contrast when I play in England or erupe in the top leagues, Old players are almost never better than young players, so I ship em off at around the 32 mark.

A related question I just wondered about, does the game have an upper age limit to how old yourself as a manager can be? For example if I did 200 years of the game, would my age show up as 234 years old?!

A related question I just wondered about, does the game have an upper age limit to how old yourself as a manager can be? For example if I did 200 years of the game, would my age show up as 234 years old?!

100, after that you stop aging.

I want to keep old players that served the club a long time at the club, but once they turn 32-33, I want them to retire. So I usually put them into the reserve squad to make them unhappy and retire.

But there was this one time I made it to the Champions League final and I didn't have 4 strikers (2 fielded, 2 on the bench), so I re-activated my former first-choice striker and subbed him in with 15 minutes to go and the score 1-1. I won the match 3-1. Guess who scored the two goals...

I try to avoid players over the age of 30. The only time I bother with them is with lower reputation teams where it is hard to get in quality players at their peak, but it is possible to bring in a 33 or 34 year old to improve the team short term. In my current game I forced to bring in 34-35 year old CBs, and a 37 year old GK as no one else will join me due to a low wage limit.

Once you hit mid-table Premiership, or equivalent, I don't buy anyone over 26 or 27 years old. I'd rather splash big money on a youngster then someone at their peak. In lower leagues I can't afford to be so picky.

As does the money behind the club, some of us really need to sell players at their peak just to stay afloat.

I understand that - I don't just play as teams like Chelsea - however getting rid of players when they turn 30 because you perceive them to be over the hill is cretinous in the extreme and that was the point I was making.

Key players or 'one-club' players as long as they're doing the business, or can fill a squad role (playing as Liverpool, so getting a few million here and there isn't the be all and end all). Peripheral players, I'll be looking to replace from 28-30, when they have a resale value especially if they're blocking the progression of a young player with higher potential, even if it means a slight dip in starting ability in the short term.

Generally I'll look to sell them at around 30, so I can almost their maximum value before their stats and value declines. So I can buy a replacement. In my current save, I'm going to sell my captain, who is 30 at the end of the season and give one of my younger players a chance. Or sign a replacement.

My thing on this save though is that I'm trying to make the team all English, but my youth replacement isn't quite ready yet. Whereas the only CM of similar quality who is English will cost about 50 million as he's about 20, world class and at Chelsea.

Also, at the other end, if I don't believe a player will make it at my team, and is under 20, and has a value of less than 2 million, I'll offload him for no actual fee, but 50% of the next transfer. Sometimes that bites me in the ass and they get released again so I get nothing, but I've got 5 million for a player who was worth 1 mill when I sold him on intially on a previous game.

Who is the player that is at chelst and will cost £50 million?

Also i am chelsea manager and i have got rid of all the dead wood like ballack and deco etc. The oldest player i have is lampard who is 33 and is still playing amazingly and scoring goals like he just did, scoring a double against valencia in the champs league group stages.

I think i will start getting rid of players at around the age of 31/32. apart from certain player like jt and lamps who will stay and finish there careers and then become a coach at the club. If i develop a strong relationship with the player and the player does with the club aswell then they might stay a bit longer too but i want a young squad of good creative pacey players to lead my team to success.

For me, each player in my 1st team is tutoring a 16 year old, well cause, thats his replacement. so when they hit 30, the guy they tutored will be moving in for that number 1 spot!

But if its a player who I like, such as drogba, il buy him regardless of age and let him retire at the bridge.

I tend to stop playing them regularly aroud 31 and try to ship em out at 32/33. Have just had a defender retire from playing aged 35 as he wasn't getting a game at all and he was my Vice Captain. However he's on the backroom staff now. I've also got rid of another defender aged 32 who spurs wanted so they got him free as I found a decent replacement for him.

I use to keep key players who have done well for the club and players that are favored personal/icons/legends until they retier, otherwise its usaly wingbacks and strikers that goes out first (when they start to decline), since those are dependant on physical attributes

but well, I like to show loyality to players that have preformed well for me

I use to keep key players who have done well for the club and players that are favored personal/icons/legends until they retier, otherwise its usaly wingbacks and strikers that goes out first (when they start to decline), since those are dependant on physical attributes

but well, I like to show loyality to players that have preformed well for me

we have the same philosophy :D

I dont dring in anyone over the age of 32 and wont resign contracts for players over 34 reguardless of talent. My reasoning is that if I am at a club that is good enough to have a torres or kaka on the books then it has the talent in backup or the dollars to get some.

If they are players I brought to the club and they have served for a long time then I normally let them retire there. Then hopefully they turn into a coach.

Most of the time I try and ship older players out though, goalkeepers are so hard to sell. I can't sell Akinfeev for free and he's still only 30!!

I start getting worried at the age of 28, then it's time to consider offloading the player... Players who make "the list" I tend to keep a little longer; Favoured to they're 30-31 years, Icons to 32-33 years & Legends 'till retirement.

Also I rarely sign a player above the age of 23.

Atm the oldest in my starting XI is 26, and 6 are under the age of 23:p

Archived