+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your age limits?

Amateur

Default Your age limits?

Just wondered at what age people started to get rid of their ageing stars? In my save Torres is 33, still has very good stats, even physically his pace and acceleration is still 14, but he just doesn't seem to have that edge anymore. Think I might try and ship him at the end of the season, he's still on 140k a week!

Semi Pro

Default Re: Your age limits?

It depend really becasue once they get to the age of 33 there value declines to an extent that its not really worth selling them - unless they are on high wages or you wont to make way for youth or a better player. I have Xavi ar Barcelona who is 33 and when is contract runs out in two years I wont renew it but Valdes is 32 and I'm trying to sell him. But Xavi has been at Bara all his career so theres quite a bit of sentiment there!

Semi Pro
    Spending too much time on FM and not enough time with the wife

I have this weird thing about 30, I dislike signing contracts with players that will take them beyond that point and try to sell them when they reach that age, or even ideally when they are about 28 for bigger money.
    No idea why, I am trying to break the habit in this game, but...... even now, I only have 5 players aged 30 or above, 2 of them are GKs, one is leaving on a free at the end of the season, one is Dzenko and the other Steven 'angry' Taylor who has been with me forever.

Amateur

I generally only offer 1 year extensions on players of 30+ years (like Arsene Wenger) but I made an exception for Torres who refused to sign unless it was a 2 year deal on ridiculous wages. I've got a good regen to step into his shoes so I might see what I can do in January.

The Lambs - my bro has a similar thing. He refuses to buy players over 25 (despite the fact he always starts new games after 2/3 seasons) and sells people once they get to 30, no exceptions!

First Team
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nev147 View Post
    It depend really becasue once they get to the age of 33 there value declines to an extent that its not really worth selling them - unless they are on high wages or you wont to make way for youth or a better player. I have Xavi ar Barcelona who is 33 and when is contract runs out in two years I wont renew it but Valdes is 32 and I'm trying to sell him. But Xavi has been at Bara all his career so theres quite a bit of sentiment there!
    Hasn't Valdes as well?

Amateur

I don't buy players over the age of 22 unless i really need a player in that position and their something special. I keep outfield players to the age of 33 and goalkeepers to the age of 36. Outfield players I offer them a 5 year contract at the age of 29 and thats the last contract i'll offer them unless I feel I could get a good price I may offer a 2 year extention to try and sell them.

Amateur

29-30 for outfield players. Certainly for strikers. 30-31 for mids and defenders. Older for Goalkeepers.

When you start to get messages that their training level has dropped, I get rid and cash in what I can.

Amateur

5 year contract for a 29 YO is long? Admire your not buying older players though. I'm trying to make my team into an U23 team at the moment.

World Cup Winner

Depends on the player and any emotional attachment I have with them. Usually I'll try and cash in at around the 30 year old mark, but I did keep my club captain until he was 39!

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SCIAG View Post
    Hasn't Valdes as well?
    Hes a keeper - value does not decline as much as a general rule keepers dont reach their prime untill later than outfield players.

Reserves

About 31-32 and then i bring in more fitter players.

Amateur

Perhaps I should be trying to cash in a bit earlier. Atm I'm doing it around 33/34 when they really aren't useful for me anymore. I might try to do it once stats start to decline.

Part-Timer

I keep a player as long as he is performing well and does what is expected of him. Once I notice he cannot perform consistently or is out of place in the squad in terms of overall performance, I will sell him.

Part-Timer

I would rarely buy a player that is 32+, however I would keep ageing players if they still had good physical attributes(mainly looking at stamina and natural fitness), so they would be adequate back up.

The only exceptions are goalkeepers because physiucal attributes don't really matter, and irl they can keep going until they are fourty

Probably around 29/30. Older for goalkeepers.

Oldest player in my Hearts starting line up is 32 is Benni McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    Depends on the player and any emotional attachment I have with them. Usually I'll try and cash in at around the 30 year old mark, but I did keep my club captain until he was 39!
    This. In FM08 I kept Micah Richards until he was around 38 when he retired. Still captain, still first choice. And that was when anyone over the age of 32 was useless!

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Arkim View Post
    I keep a player as long as he is performing well and does what is expected of him. Once I notice he cannot perform consistently or is out of place in the squad in terms of overall performance, I will sell him.
    Same here. In my current game my 32 year old striker is my top scorer with 15 goals in 18 games. It's in the Bulgarian league but still

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by petey_g View Post
    5 year contract for a 29 YO is long? Admire your not buying older players though. I'm trying to make my team into an U23 team at the moment.
    Some may think a 5 year contract for a 29 year old is long but if there still at the club at the age of 29 there still going to be in the starting 11 and will be for a few more years. Also gives me enough time to find a replacement to train up and learn off of the older player. Most of the time I have the replacement ready to take over but depends on if my scouting network can find them in time.

I make on average 30m a year selling on youth players that don't hack it lol Got a good scouting network, any player I see that has minimum 3 stars I buy if the price is reasonable and send them to U-18's for 1 - 2 seasons then send to feeder club for 2 - 3 seasons then bring them into the first team squad if they have made great progress. It works, I've made around 18 wonderkids into superstars. Bought one for 3.2m at the age of 16 and sold him on 12 year later for 56m. Great way to make money and save money!

One thing I do now as well is if the player is under 27 i always put a 25% of next transfer fee clause in and when in the transfer centre clause section it allows me to buy it out I do, usually get 2 - 5m at a time.

Part-Timer

Generally I'll look to sell them at around 30, so I can almost their maximum value before their stats and value declines. So I can buy a replacement. In my current save, I'm going to sell my captain, who is 30 at the end of the season and give one of my younger players a chance. Or sign a replacement.

My thing on this save though is that I'm trying to make the team all English, but my youth replacement isn't quite ready yet. Whereas the only CM of similar quality who is English will cost about 50 million as he's about 20, world class and at Chelsea.

Also, at the other end, if I don't believe a player will make it at my team, and is under 20, and has a value of less than 2 million, I'll offload him for no actual fee, but 50% of the next transfer. Sometimes that bites me in the ass and they get released again so I get nothing, but I've got 5 million for a player who was worth 1 mill when I sold him on intially on a previous game.

Amateur

Normally it's rare for me to keep anybody beyond 32-33 unless I'm battling for survival and want some experience in my squad. However, I just took over Bolton in the Championship in 2012-13 and am getting fantastic production out of Kevin Davies (35) and Jussi Jaaskelainen (37). Davies has already signed a new (drastically reduced) contract for next season and I think I'll offer Jussi one when I load up again this evening. That said, in a squad full of geriatrics these are the only two real success stories.

Amateur

I'm currently managing in the A(ustralian)-League where the standard is poor compared to the reputation. I never feel comfortable spending money on players over 26-27 but since my club has no money, I'm finding signing older players (30+) on frees is a good deal. For example, Eidu Gudjohnsen is the assist leader of the league at the moment and I signed him when he was 32, he's now 33 and plays very well at this level.

Another player doing well is Karol Kisel who is 34, though he won't sign a new contract unless I pay large wages (that he doesn't merit for his age).

In contrast when I play in England or erupe in the top leagues, Old players are almost never better than young players, so I ship em off at around the 32 mark.

Amateur

A related question I just wondered about, does the game have an upper age limit to how old yourself as a manager can be? For example if I did 200 years of the game, would my age show up as 234 years old?!

Amateur

No one wants to buy my players :-(

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by petey_g View Post
    A related question I just wondered about, does the game have an upper age limit to how old yourself as a manager can be? For example if I did 200 years of the game, would my age show up as 234 years old?!
    100, after that you stop aging.

Part-Timer
    Wohoo, we now have a FM Meme page! Contact me if you're interested :)

I want to keep old players that served the club a long time at the club, but once they turn 32-33, I want them to retire. So I usually put them into the reserve squad to make them unhappy and retire.

But there was this one time I made it to the Champions League final and I didn't have 4 strikers (2 fielded, 2 on the bench), so I re-activated my former first-choice striker and subbed him in with 15 minutes to go and the score 1-1. I won the match 3-1. Guess who scored the two goals...

First Team Squad Member

About 30. Then they're gone. Unless they're definitely staying in the game that is, and i think they'll be good staff to have around.

Part-Timer

I try to avoid players over the age of 30. The only time I bother with them is with lower reputation teams where it is hard to get in quality players at their peak, but it is possible to bring in a 33 or 34 year old to improve the team short term. In my current game I forced to bring in 34-35 year old CBs, and a 37 year old GK as no one else will join me due to a low wage limit.

Once you hit mid-table Premiership, or equivalent, I don't buy anyone over 26 or 27 years old. I'd rather splash big money on a youngster then someone at their peak. In lower leagues I can't afford to be so picky.

Amateur

You get rid of players at 30 years of age? Amateurs. I've got a 33 year old Essien and a 32 year old Zhirkov and they are still kicking ass. I treat each player individually and if their stats are still good and they still perform then I'm happy to keep them.

Amateur

Sorry Zhirkov is 33 now. Last season aged 32 he played 24 league games at left wing/left back and grabbed 8 goals with a 7.54 av rating.

And you guys think he's over the hill? Amateurs.

Amateur

Yes but playing as Chelsea with some of the worlds best players does help a tad

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Taytaz View Post
    Yes but playing as Chelsea with some of the worlds best players does help a tad
    As does the money behind the club, some of us really need to sell players at their peak just to stay afloat.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    As does the money behind the club, some of us really need to sell players at their peak just to stay afloat.
    I understand that - I don't just play as teams like Chelsea - however getting rid of players when they turn 30 because you perceive them to be over the hill is cretinous in the extreme and that was the point I was making.

Amateur

Key players or 'one-club' players as long as they're doing the business, or can fill a squad role (playing as Liverpool, so getting a few million here and there isn't the be all and end all). Peripheral players, I'll be looking to replace from 28-30, when they have a resale value especially if they're blocking the progression of a young player with higher potential, even if it means a slight dip in starting ability in the short term.

Amateur

Thierry Henry is approaching 40 in one of my saves. Still plays but mainly for friendlies and for mentoring. He's a player/coach and next season will be a full time coach.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky1989 View Post
    Generally I'll look to sell them at around 30, so I can almost their maximum value before their stats and value declines. So I can buy a replacement. In my current save, I'm going to sell my captain, who is 30 at the end of the season and give one of my younger players a chance. Or sign a replacement.

My thing on this save though is that I'm trying to make the team all English, but my youth replacement isn't quite ready yet. Whereas the only CM of similar quality who is English will cost about 50 million as he's about 20, world class and at Chelsea.

Also, at the other end, if I don't believe a player will make it at my team, and is under 20, and has a value of less than 2 million, I'll offload him for no actual fee, but 50% of the next transfer. Sometimes that bites me in the ass and they get released again so I get nothing, but I've got 5 million for a player who was worth 1 mill when I sold him on intially on a previous game.
    Who is the player that is at chelst and will cost £50 million?

Also i am chelsea manager and i have got rid of all the dead wood like ballack and deco etc. The oldest player i have is lampard who is 33 and is still playing amazingly and scoring goals like he just did, scoring a double against valencia in the champs league group stages.

I think i will start getting rid of players at around the age of 31/32. apart from certain player like jt and lamps who will stay and finish there careers and then become a coach at the club. If i develop a strong relationship with the player and the player does with the club aswell then they might stay a bit longer too but i want a young squad of good creative pacey players to lead my team to success.

Amateur

For me, each player in my 1st team is tutoring a 16 year old, well cause, thats his replacement. so when they hit 30, the guy they tutored will be moving in for that number 1 spot!

But if its a player who I like, such as drogba, il buy him regardless of age and let him retire at the bridge.

Semi Pro

I get rid of them at around 30/31. I never buy anyone older then 23(when in a top tier of a league) unless I am desperate.

Semi Pro
    Wishing he was at Fenway Park watching his beloved Red Sox

I tend to stop playing them regularly aroud 31 and try to ship em out at 32/33. Have just had a defender retire from playing aged 35 as he wasn't getting a game at all and he was my Vice Captain. However he's on the backroom staff now. I've also got rid of another defender aged 32 who spurs wanted so they got him free as I found a decent replacement for him.

Amateur

The oldest player I will have in my team is 29, I just have a weird thing where once a player reaches 30, he will be useless to me and stick him in the reserves until he is sold. I make an exception for keepers where I keep them until 35.

Amateur

i keep players on the team as long as they are still playing well - no age limit

Youth Team

I use to keep key players who have done well for the club and players that are favored personal/icons/legends until they retier, otherwise its usaly wingbacks and strikers that goes out first (when they start to decline), since those are dependant on physical attributes

but well, I like to show loyality to players that have preformed well for me

Amateur

Cool Re: Your age limits?

Quote Originally Posted by Falahk View Post
    I use to keep key players who have done well for the club and players that are favored personal/icons/legends until they retier, otherwise its usaly wingbacks and strikers that goes out first (when they start to decline), since those are dependant on physical attributes

but well, I like to show loyality to players that have preformed well for me
    we have the same philosophy

Part-Timer

Doesn't matter a bit. As long as the player is still capable, performs, and is worth his wages he's got a place in my team. Sometimes I keep older players around just for tutoring value.

Amateur

I dont dring in anyone over the age of 32 and wont resign contracts for players over 34 reguardless of talent. My reasoning is that if I am at a club that is good enough to have a torres or kaka on the books then it has the talent in backup or the dollars to get some.

Youth Team

hehe, just signed a 33 year old player on a free, on the basis that he was great at set pices

Semi Pro

If they are players I brought to the club and they have served for a long time then I normally let them retire there. Then hopefully they turn into a coach.
    Most of the time I try and ship older players out though, goalkeepers are so hard to sell. I can't sell Akinfeev for free and he's still only 30!!

Amateur

Have you tried offering Torres a new contract?

It may be that he'd accept a lower wage to remain with the club - especially if it's one of his favourite clubs and you're one of his favourite staff.

Amateur

I start getting worried at the age of 28, then it's time to consider offloading the player... Players who make "the list" I tend to keep a little longer; Favoured to they're 30-31 years, Icons to 32-33 years & Legends 'till retirement.

Also I rarely sign a player above the age of 23.

Atm the oldest in my starting XI is 26, and 6 are under the age of 23

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by GEIRunar View Post
    I start getting worried at the age of 28,
    You do know defenders are at their best at about 30, keepers even at higher age?

Semi Pro
    Somewhere between Yael Stone and Laura Prepon (@_meestercat)

I'm quite happy signing and playing older players. One of my best signings in the game to date has been a 34 year old Belletti for £250k.

Third Team

No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no *screams* there's no limit *takes breath*

Apart from giving away a certain minimum age with this, what I intend to say it that quality matters more than age to me. If a player still performs well enough then I'm happy to keep him. I don't sell players before a certain age just to profit of their transfer value as long as it's decent. In practice that means that I usually sell players between 31 and 33.

Amateur

It depends a lot on the player;

1) Good journeyman player who is not crucial to team and me: I sell them when they hit 30 so I can still make money from them before they are officially considered old in transfer market.

2) Good player important to team but I do not like him: I usually arrange their contracts so that I give them free transfer when they are about 33(+/-1). I do not even bother selling them because usually it is not worth going through negotiation for these players for small money. During their last year they are already sitting on bench so letting them go becomes easy decision.

3) Long serving local heroes or my personal favorites: If they want so much money or if they complain a lot when they go to bench then they belong to above second category otherwise I keep signing them until they retire and even try to sign them as a coach/scout... I know emotions towards bits and bytes is stupid but

Part-Timer

playing as Athletic Club, you don't really have a choice with getting rid of older players unless you have excellent youth replacements.

Part-Timer

What's bothering me is that most of the players age at the same rate. They all start deteriorating once they hit 30-31, and by the time they are 33-34 they are not good enough for your team, no matter how good they were when they were at their peak. Sure you can still use them as backup, for another 1-2 years maybe, but my point is that IRL we see some players who don't show any sign of slowing down until they are 33-34. Now I know that there is this hidden attribute in FM, "professionalism", which is supposed to determine how slow the players will deteriorate, but I observed that the effect of that attribute is probably really low since (like I said) every player in FM seems to age at more or less the same rate. I wish we could see some variety here, like some players (like Paul Gascoigne) should go down even before hitting 30, and some players should still be one of your best players when they are 34. It is especially bothering me with the center backs. IRL good CB's can still be very very good when they are 33-34-35. Not in FM. The ME should be tweaked in a way that some mental attributes (like anticipation) should be more important for CB's which should compensate for their reduced (with age) speed. It is ridiculous that CB's in FM already pass their prime by the age of 31-32. 31-34 should be the best ages for a CB.

Banned

I normally get rid of players at 29, such is my interest in young talent.

Banned

29 or 30 depending on when they turn that age if. they will turn 30 before the half way mark of a season they go at 29. 30 for others. Although a couple of exceptions to the rule for me. If i got a player whose 29 about to turn 29 and a huge bid comes in for him. hes gone normally i have blooded my youngsters and usually have a replacement for them

Amateur

29 for outfield, and 31 for goalkeepers unless the player is very good or I'm playing lower leagues, even then though I would still only give them a one year extension, as well as letting them go if they asked for ridiculous wages.

Amateur

i have no age limits before i signed a 39 year old french striker could only last 60 mins but ended up one of my top scores tho

Semi Pro
    http://footballmanagerhowto.wordpress.com

I'm normally all for youth, but this season (my 1st in the EPL, with FC United) I've signed a 37 year old Lampard on a free, and paid £250k for a 34 year old Mamadou(sp?) Sakho

Amateur

Well, sometimes there is no "age limit" that I set. Players usually decline in stats at different ages. Gerrard became useless once he hit 35-36 and had eager, younger players to take his spot.

Torres is coming on 34 in my game but still has great games. Obviously not as good as before, but gets the job done enough to stay in my first team, but shortly will be overtaken by my 23 yr old regen.

And I just signed a 30 year old Aaron Lennon on a free and already played 2 matches but bagged a goal and 2 assists.

I think it's odd I've seen people on here say they don't sign anyone over 25. My best signings have been above age 25.

Amateur

Previous FM's and i would never have a player over 28, always sell them when they reach that age for max value and replace with a younger version. But FM10 and the over 30's seem to perform much better than previous games so i have tried to keep players for longer currently have a 36 yr old Ronaldo and a 35 yr old Rooney in my Newcastle save with both performing to a high standard

Amateur

Depends, im not at one level for my whole save (i start in low leages generally), so a 37 year old centre mid might be perfect for me in the BSP and may even get a new contract for the next 2 seasons based on performance (his and the teams). If Im in a top league I dont like players over 32 (although this is mostly a hangover from FM08).

Semi Pro

i love 30-yr old players. they are very experienced, and as long as they can still get the job done, the more the better. usually i keep them until their ability drops to 1 or 1.5 stars. you all gotta admit that having a 32y/o striker who still can be the league topscorer is the best!

Banned

Don't think I've ever kept somebody in the first team after turning 35, apart from a certain Icelandic DC whose name I can't remember. He played for my Fjolnir team (first div) until he retired at 42, was top performer even.

That was FM08, don't think he's in the database anymore.

Amateur

I have no real age limit, it's more about value for money. If there's a 35 year old I think can step in and do a job and he's relatively cheap, i'll sign him up.

Third Team

As soon as any player in my squad is 33. I'm selling him.

Amateur

None, if he still performs well and does not get paid a lot, he can play until he is 85 years old.

Amateur

IF a player has good appearances why to sell him? I have two players aged 33 and 34 and my team's average age is 22 , I need some experience in the team

Amateur

i have 35 year old verratti and he just signed a new 2 year contract - he is a clubs legend - and thats how clubs legends should be treated..
    (he plays then 5-10 matches per season)

Part-Timer

25 unless I want the player to stay his career out in the club.

Players older then 25 is used as backup and for training of younger players.

Could be said I tend to have 1 player in the age range of 28-32 in the squad.

Semi Pro

I usually offload players at around the age of 21 because they would be ineligible to play for U21 international matches!

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by lacoste8030 View Post
    Who is the player that is at chelst and will cost £50 million?

Also i am chelsea manager and i have got rid of all the dead wood like ballack and deco etc. The oldest player i have is lampard who is 33 and is still playing amazingly and scoring goals like he just did, scoring a double against valencia in the champs league group stages.

I think i will start getting rid of players at around the age of 31/32. apart from certain player like jt and lamps who will stay and finish there careers and then become a coach at the club. If i develop a strong relationship with the player and the player does with the club aswell then they might stay a bit longer too but i want a young squad of good creative pacey players to lead my team to success.
    It's a regen in the mid 2020's, won't be anyone you can sign!

Part-Timer
    Over there, over there and up there... kids they blow up so fast

I play them until they can no longer fill a spot in my first team
    After that point I will allow any offers, if not sold they will sit in the reserves until their contract runs out or I can offer staff contracts, if I like them enough

+ Reply to Thread