Starting Unemployed

I almost always do it, but with Automatic rather than International Footballer, meaning I start at the bottom (in all of my games I think I've been offered a job only twice at a BSP side, and all other times it's been a BSN/BSS side). Makes it a bit interesting because you don't know exactly what you're in for when you get the job. In one case I had the option of managing Northwich who had just won promotion to the BSP (their manager had moved to another club) and turned it down to instead try and save Blyth Spartans from relegation from the BSN. Slightly regretted that afterwards, as at the start of the following season Northwich went straight to the top of the BSP and Blyth were still struggling in the BSN. One time I took control of a team who were expected to be in the hunt for promotion and the manager was sacked because the team were 7th or 8th. When I joined the club, I was absolutely shocked to find that they had over £1m in the bank with no obvious reason as to where it had come from (they hadn't played any big sides in cup competitions, there hadn't been a takeover, nothing like that, and they certainly didn't start with it).

Yes, with that experience you won't have any problems getting a job in the top two tiers.

Did this when I first got FM2010. Ended up managing Brescia for the best part of 10 seasons but apart from a couple of defeats in cup finals, never broke the top 5. Hard team. But I tell you what, it easily ranks as one of my most satisfying careers in FM to date.

I always start unemployed but also with automatic as my starting rep.

I also usually have almost all leagues worldwide open, which makes for an interesting and very international career.

In my last save I started as Haladas Szombathely in the Hungarian 2nd league, took them into the Champions League, then accepted a job with Malmoe FF, from there to Olympique Marseille and then to Inter Milan.

This time I started out with Changsha Ginde in the Chinese Super League and I'm just in my third season with them.

For me it's really fun to dig into leagues and players you would normally never know anything about while not foresaking the chance to manage the big clubs later on. The only downside is, that once you get to the big clubs, you'll hardly recognise them as their squads will have changed massively and will include many regens.

Find out for yourself but I guess you'll stay in familiar territory anyway with the rep you've chosen.

I've done 2 games as unemployed, both times "automatic" starting rep. First game I got offered the Modena job half-way through the season. I also took the Ivory Coast job and by some fluke reached the World Cup Final, which I thought would get me a better job. Despite that no bigger clubs wanted me! Eventually, with Modena about to be promoted, I got an offer to take over at Portsmouth, which I took. I was doing OK but then new patches came out etc so I abandoned the save.

The other game I got a job offer straight away, to manage al-Jazeera (I had the UAE league database thing running). From there I got the Werder Bremen job, most unexpectedly - Werder were level on points at the top of the Bundesliga with 6 games to go, and their manager walked out to manage AC Milan. They offered me the job, and I got all the credit for winning the league, even though really I'd done nothing! That one fluke success made me stay with Werder a long time, almost 10 years, although we never won the league again. Eventually I took the Inter Milan job, but got bored as it was too easy.

Starting as unemployed is great fun, because you never know where things will lead.

Me, I started a Great Britain career, with an all England (BSN/S), all Scotland, all Ireland, all Wales (which is only one league) and all Northern Ireland. I started in Ireland, half way through the English season with Sunday League experience. Got my first job at Ton Pentre, newly promoted Welsh team at the beginning of the second season. Took them to 5th (predicted 17th) and to 2 cup finals (against the same team, The New Saints, who also won the league), winning one and losing the other. I therefore qualified for Europa League but resigned after the board refused to give me money.

Got a job at Chippenham accidentally. Resigned after 2 weeks as I didn't mean to get it when I holidayed. Got a job at Carrick Rangers half way through, saved them from relegation after losing my opening two games. Signed a one year extension and took them to 3rd (predicted 7th) but accidentally signed a 5 year contract extension so I resigned.

Took over my current team H&W Welders, who were 12th but predicted first. Took them on an 11 game winning streak, including a win over Carrick in the cup. Still unbeaten in the league but knocked out of both cups I was still in. Have won promotion and need a point from two games to win the league. Signed a contract extension so I will be seeing Carrick in the league next year.

A big problem though is when taking over halfway through a season they don't count how well you do in the league, baring in mind I'm just about to win it and none of this counts I'm pretty annoyed at the moment.

I also found that starting a game with automatic experience would leave you with higher reputation than starting with Sunday league experience, as with automatic I could get a top BSN side and a newly promoted Premier side whereas I couldn't get a mid table BSN even with a trophy under my belt.

Good luck to you on your Championship or Premiership career.

I tend to completely ignore the star rating for computer processing power and it works fine for me.

If I'd look at the rating, it would probably show 0 stars (should actually be minus something if that would exist) but the game runs okay including the 3D match graphics and my computer is about 4 years old.

It all depends on your expectations in terms of game speed, I guess.

If you're the kind of player who rushes through a sesaon in a week then my recommendations would not fit you.

I usually manage 1 or 2 weeks per day but I only have about 2 hours per day when I have time to play.

I started as unemployed with reputation as Sunday League Footballer.

Started at a low Spanish side called Cacereno. Just scraped through the play-offs to gain promotion to Liga Adelante. Then applied for, and got the job at Crewe in February 2011ish. Won the league (although to be fair they were high up there anyway - manager left for a better club) and now currently fighting it out for League One against Sheffield Wednesday. Had an 8 point lead but fixture congestion and injuries left me with only 19 players, 3 of which goalkeepers and the lead has slipped completely.

Also in the Paint Trophy North final and FA Cup 4th round (had two non-league teams and a League Two side as opposition). Now about to face Notts County (League One) in fourth round.

My aims are to not let the league title slip out of my hands, win the Paint Trophy and get a big club away from home in the fifth round of the FA Cup. And then to see what jobs there are at the end of the season :]

Highly satisfying doing it this way. Played manager games for many years now and this save is by far my most favourite.

I also start as "International Player" but nowadays I prefer to choose a club in a country I am interested to learn something about.

In my previous game, I chose Flamengo and after 3 years got a job offer from AC Milan. In my current game I chose to start with Dublin Bohemians but soon got a job offer from At. Madrid.

It is fun to start unemployed, but you may also want to try to start witha club of your choice and see what happens from there. Just make sure you include the leagues of countries you'd be interested (and don't crash your computer memory). Enjoy!

Archived