What i would LOVE to see put into the game....

My first idea is goal setting for players - For example:-

- Telling your strikers how many goals you want for them

- Telling your creative midfielders how many assists you expect from them

- Telling your goalkeeper how many clean sheets or saves per game or something

- Also average rating, tackles per game and dribbles per game for players in different positions

This could be really powerful tool in motivating players, however if your expectations are too high they could seriously under-perform. This could incorporate player’s personalities... Ambitious players would like higher targets, Professional players would need an accurate target, determined players would strive under high targets and work there socks off to reach it.

At the end of the season you would have another meeting with each player, seeing a full set of that players stats for the season. With this information you could decide that players future, if they are likely to be sold in the off-season, if they might have to be prepared to take a lower wage. And more importantly if you are happy with there performances that season. This would affect the player’s morale going into the following season, and the relationship between you and the player. Also for the next season the target would be adjusted according to last year’s stats. For young players your expectations would slowly rise season to season, and for ageing players they would fall. I feel this would revolutionise manager to player relations, as im sure things like this happen in the real world.

My second idea has proberly been mentioned before, but after watching MOTD last night and Martin O’Neil mentioning his meeting with the chairman at the end of the season i thought this should be implemented into the game. This could involve which players you are looking to buy and how much you are prepared to pay, which players to release from the club, and how much you are looking to get for them. Also the things that are already in the game like season expectations and budgets. Chairmen on the game already have a lot of attributes we don’t see in the game and that are hardly used. These attributes would definitely effect how the meeting goes. The meeting would last a lot longer and be a lot more detailed if the chairman had a high interference rating (or whatever it’s called) and how ambitious your chairman is would affect the players he thinks you should be looking at. There are all sorts’ things that SI could put into this idea to increase the relationships between managers and chairman’s more realistic. Plus if you have a un-professional chairman and you and him get on very well, you may be less likely to be sacked. Also if certain chairman attributes were viewable in the game, you may be persuaded to join one club over another club because they have a better chairman.

Please comment if you agree with my suggestions or if you don’t, please add your own ideas to make them even better :), and let’s see if we can get an SI developer to comment on these two interaction features.

Thank you for your time,

Matt.

Ok Matt - I like your idea of the fact that currently the managers interaction with players and chairman alike needs to be improved and diversified. At the minute its like sets of robots who communicate with each other. I much prefer the 2nd idea - especially as chairmans are becomming so more prominant in modern day football and this needs to be implemeted into FM - but not like director of football! at the monent - there is a start of season goals and the chairman gives you a transfer and wage budget and then off you go no more interaction - only when you request something via the boardroom - more money for transfers/wage/stadium/training/youth - this has been there since like CM98/99 that in itself tells us that this needs a serious revamp.

Its too cut and dry with no interaction/negotiation with the chairman - they have all the power and are usually far to tight and not accomadating enough. Maybe chairman like in CM/FM a good few years ago where they had a set of attributes - For example the Real Madrid chairman would only settle for the best possible players and he would give you £200m on the basis that you would win the champions league within 2 seasons otherwise you would be out of the door! Or like with Wenger at Arsenal- he can do pretty much how he likes - in terms of moving stadium. Or you could say to the chairman that you have a 5 year plan and that the youth facilities are the most important thing to improve and buy the best youngsters. Ultimatiums are useless you could have won the league and european cup for the last 5 years but the chairman wont care and will just sack you - there are the odd exceptions, but on the whole you will get sacked or maybe the fans could back you so the chairman agrees to your demands.

It seems in FM10 SI have introduced pre-match and fortnightly meetings but IMO these are just so robotic - you have better determination ot flair than team x - great that tells us alot!:rolleyes: It just seems they tell us the same stuff everytime and after a season you alrady know what they are going to say before they have said it. This then leads onto better manager / coach relationships - the scout reports seem to be a step in the right direction although when scoutung an 16 year old - I dont need my scouts to tell me at the minute hes no where near Messi current ability!!! :thdn:

Regarding the player interaction - the saying I want 20 assists a season seems to robotic and would not happen IRL. SAF would not say to Rio and Vidic I want less than 20 golas conceded in the league or to Rooney i want a 35 goal season or to Valencia I want 20 golas season. Is already expected that those players need to do their best for their particular position and hence they will try and achieve that anyway.

Going back to the chairmans - at the moment the chairman is this high up person who you go to twice a season (abit like when you were a kid and you asked for sweets!) and have a request - he either sais yes or no and thats final.

Man Utd - SAF has full command like wenger at arsenal but Abramovich as all the power at Chelsea. Italy - the president run the show and spain has the elections. I do not want director of football where the manager power is taken away that would be bad but we need much more interaction with the chairman on so many different levels - i mean aksing the chairman to lay the pitch! As if the chairman is going to to have a view on that - if the manager asked that to his chairman IRL he would ask the manager to stop wasting his time.

Also when the chairman offers a new contract there are no incentives - such as stadium expensions, youth,training facilities- asking for more coaches if you are at the limit etc. Make the contract a bit of a negotiation unlike today where the chairman offers you 15k a week and that it - take it or leave it.

I love FM but they are stuck in the dark ages when it comes to the level of autonomy and the scope and freedom that the manager should get -especially when the interaction levels with the chairman are a joke and with coaches and players. Tutoring is a step in the right directio but not when very player decides he will not learn place shots - if a manger told his player to do that and he said no - just would not happen.

"Also when the chairman offers a new contract there are no incentives - such as stadium expansions, youth, training facilities- asking for more coaches if you are at the limit etc. Make the contract a bit of a negotiation unlike today where the chairman offers you 15k a week and that it - take it or leave it.

I love FM but they are stuck in the dark ages when it comes to the level of autonomy and the scope and freedom that the manager should get -especially when the interaction levels with the chairman are a joke and with coaches and players. Tutoring is a step in the right direction but not when very player decides he will not learn place shots - if a manger told his player to do that and he said no - just would not happen. "

I agree with all of that, and also that I don’t want the chairman dictating things to us as managers, which I feel is a good reason to have lots of communication with your chairman. I was thinking, the better your understanding with your chairman, the less likely that he is going to accept offers over your head (especially when its a 5mil offer for a 21yo centre back who cost 4 mil and you have been paying him £70,000 a week for 2 years, because you (as the manager) know that he's going to be by far the best defender in the world). For me this is the most frustrating thing in the game and almost makes me want the quit the save when it happens.

Back to the first point, I understand what you are saying nev147, I know that players don’t need to be told. But in the game they are not players, they are robots. And as things stand there are very few things you can do to motivate them. Team talks, that I don’t think anyone fully understands and praising them in the media which is unrealistic and hit and miss. This way is VERY simple to understand and fool-proof in the way it does what it says on the tin (as long as you know the players personality). Also this way keeps players at least semi-motivate all season and then gives you an excuse to sell them in the summer. Also another benefit I feel, is that all of this is internal, which FM seems to be lacking in terms of interaction.

Changing to new kits each season is far too cosmetic for me and im sure most people on this forum, there is minor cosmetic changes SI could make, but personally i would much rather they spend longer adding other new features that actually effect the players and how the game works.

Yeah I agree- in regard to the manager/chairman relationship - maybe an attribure on the managers screen of relationship with chairman- starts off as 1 and then it goes from there - if it gets to 20 - and that would be hard to achieve - the chairman to an extent would bend backwards as to help you etc. And then that could lead to other attributes for the manager - as the current attributes are pretty basic to say the least and have the attribures meaninfull ingame that has an effect. Such as

Media Interaction - SAF mindgames etc

Ability to nurture young players

Haggling ability

Training Output

Tactician

Motivating

But the above could be a bit gimmicky.

And yes the player goals would be a step in the right direction to set personel targets and just to have more options that are available to us.

Changing to new kits each season is far too cosmetic for me and im sure most people on this forum, there is minor cosmetic changes SI could make, but personally i would much rather they spend longer adding other new features that actually effect the players and how the game works.

yeah for me that is too gimmicky and thats what the skinning forum is for. Yeah its allabout the gameplay/features to make the game more realistic/better.

Those new manager attributes i feel are much needed, would proberly take a lot of programming to make them accurate, but they could really help with reputation and working your way up the leagues. And i like the idea of the chairman to manager relationship stat, could naturally increase in time and increase as a result in performance or club rebuation increasing. Would be interesting to see whay SI put the current managers and chairman as. Ferguson and Glazier would proberly be about 5 lol. And the manager of Man City would never be able to get above say 10.

Those new manager attributes i feel are much needed, would proberly take a lot of programming to make them accurate, but they could really help with reputation and working your way up the leagues. And i like the idea of the chairman to manager relationship stat, could naturally increase in time and increase as a result in performance or club rebuation increasing. Would be interesting to see whay SI put the current managers and chairman as. Ferguson and Glazier would proberly be about 5 lol. And the manager of Man City would never be able to get above say 10.

Yeah. :D Trying to make the game as if you are the manager and hence the given responsabilities and relationships that exist today.

Stop having certain home-grown players morale hit the floor when i slate a rival team. I mean really, can you imagine Gary Neville getting upset when SAF slags off Liverpool? No? Well why did it happen in my game????? :confused:

Stop having certain home-grown players morale hit the floor when i slate a rival team. I mean really, can you imagine Gary Neville getting upset when SAF slags off Liverpool? No? Well why did it happen in my game????? :confused:

Are you SAF? Did you manage a team for 20+ years and then it happened?

No? :D

Are you SAF? Did you manage a team for 20+ years and then it happened?

No? :D

Would it matter who was in charge? I doubt it. He hates Liverpool. Simple! And for your information, i had Neville in my team for 4 yrs before he retired. :D

Interaction is area that should be constantly improved. I like the idea of setting targets for players. Say to your striker, if your score 25 goals this season and the club will award you a bonus of x. The player could be spurred on or feel the pressure depending on his attributes.

Interaction is area that should be constantly improved. I like the idea of setting targets for players. Say to your striker, if your score 25 goals this season and the club will award you a bonus of x. The player could be spurred on or feel the pressure depending on his attributes.

And he would screw up big chances because of selfishness.

And he would screw up big chances because of selfishness.

That's actually a good point, if player's futures were largely based on meeting pre-defined goals then they may well pursue these goals to the detriment of the team.

Would definitely like to see more interaction with Chairmen. It's a bit silly that as a manager you can't see what the chairman is like at the club you're looking at, I'd definitely like their attributes to be viewable (particularly in a takeover scenario so you can see who the hell is running your club now). I know IRL managers don't actually do a lot of the transfer work, only select targets and then leave it up to the chairman etc, but I quite like the fact that FM doesn't completely reflect reality in that respect. Also like the idea of setting targets for players, although obviously there would need to be some kind of option for ass man suggestions for targets I think.

Don't know about financial awards, but it's certainly not out of the question. I remember hearing 'Arry say that he set Yakubu the target of 20 goals in his first prem season at Pompey when he kept them up. Potentially there was some kind of financial reward for this?

Don't know about financial awards, but it's certainly not out of the question. I remember hearing 'Arry say that he set Yakubu the target of 20 goals in his first prem season at Pompey when he kept them up. Potentially there was some kind of financial reward for this?

I am a little bit dubious as to what difference setting a target makes.

People like scoring goals, even against their friends in a casual match. Professionals like scoring goals even more, they get a financial reward for doing so and it increases their reputation. I don't think Yakubu would have scored less goals if he hadn't been set the target of 20, I mean how would this have come about? In contrast it could have gone very sour if Yakubu had reached the last match needing 3 or 4 goals to reach his target - he either would give up on reaching it and be demotivated, or try and bang everything into the back of the net.

My first idea is goal setting for players - For example:-

- Telling your strikers how many goals you want for them

- Telling your creative midfielders how many assists you expect from them

- Telling your goalkeeper how many clean sheets or saves per game or something

- Also average rating, tackles per game and dribbles per game for players in different positions

I like the first option in that list, but not the others. I don't think it's particularly realistic to set clean sheet targets for your goalie, or assist targets for midfielders, much less saves per game, or tackles per game targets. But setting goal targets for strikers is a good idea.

Both have been mentioned before and get a :thup: from me.

FrazT, as a Mod do you have any influence on what could go into the future versions of the game. Some Mods are saying that some of our ideas are good and get the thumbs up so i was just wondering.

Cheers

FrazT, as a Mod do you have any influence on what could go into the future versions of the game. Some Mods are saying that some of our ideas are good and get the thumbs up so i was just wondering.

Cheers

Any mods could answer this one as there seem to be a few on this thread.

Cheers

As a mod, not really, we are just here to look after the forums. The guys with the SI badges are the ones who have the say on future game features, although a lot of the ideas come from these forums.

Cheers

I don`t think that moderators are SI employees so they wouldn`t have any influence over what gets added to the game, however every year before a new game comes out there is usually a feature request thread were the community puts future ideas in for SI employees to look at.

Excellent ideas. Your relationship with your chairman could definitely seem a bit more real and a bit less robotic with just a long list of horizontal bars. Your chairman could be upset with you for the way you conduct yourself in the media for example, as he might prefer you to just concentrate more on the job at hand (not that you aren't anyway, it's an opinion) and less on making his beloved club look bad from what he says.

It's been suggested before but it could also be integrated into this base idea; that you could put forward proposals to increase your budget slightly in order to sign a player you really think can make a difference at the club. If the player turns out to be a poor buy then it could affect the chairman doing the same for you again in the future. Perhaps your overall signings as they are anyway could have more of an effect on things. For example, if your chairman can't trust you with spending big money on players (because they end up being poor signings) then maybe he could tighten the purse strings a bit until you make the most out of the money he does give you.

Your overall relationship with your chairman should seem to have an effect on whether or not your job is safe more. I guess it kind of is that way now, but the endless horizontal bars and the lack of communication you can have with your chairman at the moment just doesn't make it feel like a very human relationship at all.

Archived