Astonishing tip to save heaps of money

Just found a brilliant tip over on The Away Stand website by a poster named Nasri.

It's not a bug or exploit; the key is noticing a little detail in the game that I bet hardly any of us ever see or act upon. Nasri rationalises it as the greedy agent hyping up a player's wage demands whilst the player will settle for far less. How much less? Ask your scout....

http://www.theawaystand.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2066-wage-scandal/

good man Nasri :thup:

I always do this and surprised all the other "gurus" out there didn't know.

I also try to renew contracts of players who have been out of form or had a bad season and amazingly even top class players having a bad run will accept lower wages. Players in good form will not.

I also ALWAYS offer new contracts to players who are over 30 and negotiate cheaper deals.

I guess finances have always been my strong point in FM, its the tactics in which I am bad. :p

Offering what the player wants is obviously very naive. Do you think thats what happens IRL??? A negotiation takes place and can often take a very long time - its too cut and dry in FM. But in FM over the years the players seem to have all the power and when you do offer a salary that is less than what they want, in my experiences the players will rarely settle for anything less than what they wanted.

I'm a right tool. I've always offered a bit extra on top of the agent fee lol Even an extra 5k gurantee's the player signs for you. I hate bleeding money and rely on competition winnings to keep my afloat. Will definately be attempting to negogiate a few new contracts. DOWN WITH AGENTS!!!

Yeah, I've been negotiating wages based on my scout's recommendations for ages.

Scout suggests he'd sign for between £10,000 and £12,000 a week. I put in an offer and he asks for £11,500. If I'm the only one interested in him, I'll offer £10,000 but if others are interested in him, I'll either stick with the £11,500 or I'll offer a minimum of £10,500.

Is that different from real life? To be honest if I am managing Chelsea and I am wanting a world class player i'll pay whatever the player asks to get him. But I have another game with Bradford but simply I don't have the funds to give players what they want anyway so I have no option but to negotiate.

I would genuinely be surprised if the vast majority of FM players do not do this as a matter of course. The agents asking wage is a starting point for negotiations in my view.

Going by some of the responses in this thread so far, I guess that many people aren't as tight as we are.

Hang on a sec... I can hear my wallet creaking... back later ;)

To be honest I've never really tried offering what the scout suggests. I always though the much lower wage they suggest is because they are crap scouts :o. I normally just withdraw my offer and find someone cheaper if the first wage demand is more then I want to pay.

I would of played FM for years to come without knowing this.

Didn't relise FM was that clever to be honest, nice work from SI and from Nasri/phnompenhandy for pointing this out :thup:

:thup: great tip.

Generally I try and haggle, but often find myself paying often even more than the agent demands if I feel anything less may mean the player goes elsewhere. If I'm the only one in for a player I'll often offer low, but then pull out and renegotiate if someone else comes in.

Glad you appreciate the heads up guys. Like many of you, whilst I always negotiate the wages, I never considered the input from the scout. A couple of good and as yet unresolved questions: bluearmy asks what scout attribute is relevant here. Is there one? Does it depend on how many times the scout has watched the player? Will every scout regardless of ability give the same information re. desired wages? TUFC asks about free transfers - good point. I guess if the player is at a club and you have the option to offer a transfer fee or signing on fee, you can determine his wage requirements before going directly to his agent. If he's unattached, just take the player's requirement and haggle away as per normal.

yeah good post will really help those that dont realise it, i also notice even if agents say theyre not interested at all you can always woo them in one form or another. great post nasri mate good spot good execusion.

I always just pay them what they want if it's within my wage budget....

The board give me a wage budget, and my only financial responsibility is to remain within in. If I don't, then I'll take responsibility for any financial failures, but if we go into debt because we are paying too much for wages, but I'm within my budget, it's their fault.

I have always done this and to be honest, I have never seen much difference between probable wages and a final asking price. The player will generally ask for in between what the scout reports said and the final contract offer. I always offer lower anyway and no, they don't always except so this talk of agents etc is pure fantasy, but if it helps your enjoyment of the game then why not use it. Hardly a revelation though eh.

I think it has to be relative to your rep. I've just taken over Bristol City, £30m to play with after promotion. I've obviously been trying to negotiate down to the figures suggested by the scouts, but players are sticking to the suggestions of their agents. However, City are almost certainly the lowest rep team in the league.

Reputation is a key factor. There have been times when a player turns down a contract because he doesnt rate me as a manager.

Also players tends to go to teams of a higher rep when there is competition. And with teams with similar reps are competing for a player, I am pretty sure that the manager's rep comes into play.

Archived