Suggestion for FM11- Become a chairman option

I think becoming a chairman option would be great, i am in my 13th Season at the moment started with Leeds now at Arsenal and i have made 48 million in earnings, if you could use this to buy like a lower league team and build them up etc this would be a great option to have.

You could hire and fire managers, sell your club for profit and buy a better one etc, i think this would be a great option after say 15-20 seasons as a manager

I would be all for a chairman option. It is realistic at the end of the day. OK its a 'Manager' game. But then again, what does a chairman do? 'Manage' a football club. but say after so many seasons, once the manager has accumlated enough money he could have the option of buying a club, or maybe the one hes managing. (Niall Quinn sort of situation, although we all know how that worked out. The board meetings would have been interesting.)

Yes but what longevity does this option have? Do you know what chairmen do day to day? It's not very exciting, it'd be more like business manager.

Apart from buying a club, negotiating for players, sacking and hiring managers, stadium expansions etc, what would you actually do that's even interesting?

I'd rather they concentrated on releasing a playable game and fixing the important things than wasting time adding on some crappy gimmick

I could suggest that if you become a legend that your opinion could have more effect. And that they ask you for advice on more aspects. There are many real life examples like Wenger.... But buying clubs having wifes etc is too much fifaish for me. These little rewards should stay rare and special (like the having a son feature).

Yes but what longevity does this option have? Do you know what chairmen do day to day? It's not very exciting, it'd be more like business manager.

Apart from buying a club, negotiating for players, sacking and hiring managers, stadium expansions etc, what would you actually do that's even interesting?

Exactly what I was thinking.

It'd be an alright feature I suppose...but you can add chairmans yourself anyway using the chairman EDT file. You just can't control them.

I'd like to see managers be able to become life-long presidents of a club they were succesful at.

It's been suggested a thousand times before, and it feels like Groundhog Day in here all over again.

It would make a very boring game. Day 1 - Hire a new manager, attend a press conference to introduce him. Day 2 - nothing. Day 3 - nothing. Day 4 - nothing, etc, etc.

You can always tell who our 'youngsters' of the community are as well, by the ones that say it would be an awesome idea, etc :rolleyes:

As quoted from a wise man;

Its Football Manager!

You can always tell who our 'youngsters' of the community are as well, by the ones that say it would be an awesome idea, etc :rolleyes:

As quoted from a wise man;

Ty, I'm flattered to be called a wise man!

As has already been mentioned in this thread and by most of us in all the others, just what would you do!?!

I think as managers of clubs after a decent amount of time and as your rep within the club grows there should be more options open up, like how to manage a debt better or have a say which sponsor you want etc. Will be a mix of manager and a bit of chairman involved.

I wouldn't mind some of the chairman type duties becoming available to you, as the manager, especially as you become more established.

Deciding when to invest in facilities, stadium, some of the expenses, etc.. are all unarguably the role of the chairman/board and not the manager. However, the AI is so bad at managing it that it can sometimes ruin a game. While realistic on occasion, (and very unrealistic on other occasions) the AI messing up the club is just not something I particularly want in my game. Easiest solution is to give me a little more control.

Plus it adds something more to the game which, while interesting, is very repetitive.

I will also add that theres no way Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger would still be at there respective clubs if they didnt have the influence in the boardroom that they currently share. That was built up over time so why are people so dismissive of the idea if it were implemented into the game?

I will also add that theres no way Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger would still be at there respective clubs if they didnt have the influence in the boardroom that they currently share. That was built up over time so why are people so dismissive of the idea if it were implemented into the game?

Thats true, however I think what people are dismissive of physically becoming the chairman of the club.

Having more of an impact on what happens behind the doors of the board room would be a good idea, such as having a say in the financial year budgets, the sale of players if a board were to accept without your say so.

Thats the sort of impact AF and AW have at their clubs, whereas the OP was saying about being the chairman and dealing with every aspect of running the club.

Are you being serious? Ferguson and Wenger might attend meetings with the board but that would be similar to board confidence, discussing transfer budget. These features are already in the game, what is it you'd want to control exactly?

Thats true, however I think what people are dismissive of physically becoming the chairman of the club.

Having more of an impact on what happens behind the doors of the board room would be a good idea, such as having a say in the financial year budgets, the sale of players if a board were to accept without your say so.

Thats the sort of impact AF and AW have at their clubs, whereas the OP was saying about being the chairman and dealing with every aspect of running the club.

This has been discussed and rejected more times than I care to remember ( about every 2 weeks ) and although I cant see the merit in the original idea, this idea above is a reasonable compromise.

I think as managers of clubs after a decent amount of time and as your rep within the club grows there should be more options open up, like how to manage a debt better or have a say which sponsor you want etc. Will be a mix of manager and a bit of chairman involved.

As your status and rep grows your board will allow you more leeway on things, selecting particular feeder clubs being one example.

I would like more dialogue with the board re: them accepting offers for players but tbh I think that much more than that would be too unrealistic and far too LMA, sorry for swearing ;)

This has been suggested many many times and i just can`t see it happening, remember the game`s title is called `Football Manager` not `Chairman Manager`

i doubt many people would be interested in this feature anyway.

Yes, this same response which has no merit. The game is titled football manager but is a game that goes well beyond the true job of managers and at the same time does not require the manager to do many of the things a real manager does. If your best argument against this idea is the title of the game, it really is not an argument at all.

Not saying the idea is a great one, just that the constant repetition of this same response (and then the inevitable agreements as if it is the best argument point ever made, see above) is only a reflection of those who are willing to discuss an idea and those who lack the capacity to debate intelligently.

And that fact that, according to the same people's complaints, this same idea keeps coming up every two weeks, it would appear that at least some people are interested in this feature.

Yes, this same response which has no merit. The game is titled football manager but is a game that goes well beyond the true job of managers and at the same time does not require the manager to do many of the things a real manager does. If your best argument against this idea is the title of the game, it really is not an argument at all.

Not saying the idea is a great one, just that the constant repetition of this same response (and then the inevitable agreements as if it is the best argument point ever made, see above) is only a reflection of those who are willing to discuss an idea and those who lack the capacity to debate intelligently.

And that fact that, according to the same people's complaints, this same idea keeps coming up every two weeks, it would appear that at least some people are interested in this feature.

You are absolutely right. Some people are interested in this feature. Roughly one person every 2 weeks, who is then shot down by around 30-40 people before everyone loses interest for another couple of weeks. You can do your own maths but I'd say that yes some are interested but nowhere near enough to justify its inclusion.

The reason that the title is used as an argument now, is I guess is that its easier than saying all the reasons not to have it over and over and over and over and over. You see what I mean?

I've also already said my main objection to this in other threads, but I'll repeat it for you: what on earth would I do as a chairman? Choose a manager, give him a budget, look for sponsors, make sure the stadium and other facilities get upgraded while keeping the books balanced? Sounds like riveting stuff and also sounds like about 20 mouse clicks a season.

I'm out, thanks for asking again though. :thup:

Are you being serious? Ferguson and Wenger might attend meetings with the board but that would be similar to board confidence, discussing transfer budget. These features are already in the game, what is it you'd want to control exactly?

I am pretty sure they have more of a say in the way the club is run than the stuff u have put. Things such as how to balance the books better by maybe not spending too much on players so the debt repayments can come down quicker. Thats not in the game. And yes i am being serious. My ideas will no doubt differ from yours but it makes them no less valid

Archived